Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-31-2009, 03:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

Default lol i dont think

we dont eat out often... well at all almost now.

We did today for lunch. I didnt even think about my diet.. not once I ordered what i like on the menu - deep friend English style fish & chips (like i'd get at home in Australia).

Now im home thinking, i should have gotten a salad.

lol i just dont think
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:10 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I guess in the past while you were eating out, you never gave much thought to the healthiest choice possible, I know for sure that I didn't pay any attention at all, back in the day. In fact, I probably looked for the most calorie laden items.

It takes time to establish new habits and I guess you were just used to that type of thinking (non-thinking ) since you don't go out all that often.. Something tells me though, next time will be different.

I hope you enjoyed the meal and I wouldn't give it a second thought.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:48 PM   #3  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

Sometimes you even realize once it is on your plate- oops. If I was in that situation I would probably take the batter off the fish and eat the fish and maybe have one bite with the batter. Then you don't feel like you aren't allowed to eat your favorite meal. Good luck!
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:07 PM   #4  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hey, what is done is done. A treat OCCASIONALLY won't make a huge difference in the long run, and if this has been your only treat, say, this week, check out the impact on your weight and go from there.

At the very least, you are more aware of what you are eating and choices that you have to make, which will help you be more prepared for the next time...

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:20 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post

I hope you enjoyed the meal and I wouldn't give it a second thought.
lol i kinda wish i did enjoy it. I felt overstuffed, gassy and gross after wards. And almost comatose. I had to have a nap afterwards when i got home.. (might be due to TOM also tho)
I hadnt even eaten all of it; took some in a to-go box and tried to eat it later - least to say i discarded it and ate some cucumber, which i physically (if not mentally) feel better for.

Thanks guys
Old 05-31-2009, 08:34 PM   #6  

Default You're Being Too Harsh

I think you are being just a little too hard on yourself. I think it should be considered okay to break free from your usual dieting routine as a reward for your devotion.
healthfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:37 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinksie View Post
lol i kinda wish i did enjoy it. I felt overstuffed, gassy and gross after wards. And almost comatose. I had to have a nap afterwards when i got home.. (might be due to TOM also tho)
I hadnt even eaten all of it; took some in a to-go box and tried to eat it later - least to say i discarded it and ate some cucumber, which i physically (if not mentally) feel better for.
Oh well. I'm sorry you got sick, but look at it as really and truly a lesson learned. That's it. Now you know. "That stuff" truly doesn't have the same appeal that it used. Tis' a good thing.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:39 PM   #8  
here we go again

S/C/G: 154/145/126

Height: 5'4

Quote:

Thanks guys
i used to beat myself up about eating something i shouldnt when on a diet and things would go one of two ways as a result:

A) I would decide i had already ruined the diet for the day so i might as well go out and get as much 'bad' food as i can and eat my weight in junk and start over the next day (ofcourse, i never did start a diet again the nexy day)

B) I would hit the gym until my legs started giving in coz it made me physically unable to feel guilty due to exhaustion.

Now im at a point where i no longer beat myself up about these things. i get that its ok to have a treat every now and then.I just make sure that i do better with the next meal and then the next day.

Sucks that you didnt enjoy but dont let that get u down x
cheercoach0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:

Thanks guys
oy! This happens often to me. I THINK I'll enjoy something, and after I eat it I feel gross and my body punishes me for it.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:34 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

You know, I just can't figure out how going off plan is a reward!!! That's like a drug addict celebrating being clean by shooting up!

Food is often tasty, it's often special, it's often wonderful and delicious, but in my humble opinion it's best not to reward weight loss by eating fattening foods. Call me crazy!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:20 PM   #11  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Jay I was just thinking the same thing! There are so many other wonderful non-food rewards out there. I would much rather go buy myself a new outfit than eat something off plan any day of the week.

(Of course, I'm going to have to stop doing that in reality since I now have about 10 new outfits hanging in my closet 1-2 sizes too small [for now]).
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:39 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
You know, I just can't figure out how going off plan is a reward!!! That's like a drug addict celebrating being clean by shooting up!

Food is often tasty, it's often special, it's often wonderful and delicious, but in my humble opinion it's best not to reward weight loss by eating fattening foods. Call me crazy!

Jay
lol i luv you ! =p

people reply by sugar coating a mistake.. (thanks lol) but i didnt tell you about eating some cookies the previous night and the night before that (like 2-3 tops)... or the onion rings my husband bought me yesterday - i couldnt not eat them or he'd be sad (tho i did tell him, not to do it again =p)
Old 05-31-2009, 11:49 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthfreak View Post
I think you are being just a little too hard on yourself. I think it should be considered okay to break free from your usual dieting routine as a reward for your devotion.
Breaking free from your usual dieting routine? As a REWARD?????????? for your devotion???????

Ummmm, I don't know about this kind of thinking. Well, you know what, I'm gonna take the easy route here and just go with exactly to a T what Jay said:

Quote:

And let's not forget that the OP was then "rewarded" with feeling overstuffed, gassy and gross afterwards. And she was almost in a comatose state and had to nap. How very, very rewarding.

Quote:
I felt overstuffed, gassy and gross after wards. And almost comatose. I had to have a nap afterwards when i got home.
Soooo, ummmm, yeah - call Jay and me crazy both, but using food as a "reward" really, really doesn't work on soooo many levels. The "real" reward is STAYING on plan. I know, I'm crazy.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #14  
Just call me Lani ;)

S/C/G: 220/220/150

Height: 5'4"

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.
Chalk it up as a mistake and tell yourself that you'll know next time to go for the salad or something a little healthier.

I do have to comment, though, on those that have likened weight loss and dieting to drug addiction and alcoholism.
Now, this is just my opinion, but to me that's entirely the wrong mindset. Telling yourself (or others) that going "off-plan" is like an alcholic having a shot or a drug addict shooting up just seems...unhealthy.

They aren't the same thing. Sure, people do get addicted to food (or certain types of food) and in that instance they should be treated and helped as such.

Personally, I just think it sends out a slightly negative message.
Mahina Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

Sorry, I double posted. Oops.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 06-01-2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Double posted, so I "erased" it.