PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 294/270/170

Height: 5'7

Default Metformin makes me...

Okay, I took one 500mg tablet last night with my dinner. Within 90 minutes I was drowsy. I felt like I took a really good muscle relaxer. I fell asleep pretty fast, but I woke up twice during the night. I am not sure why I woke up but I remember feeling like something was wrong. I'm not sure if I had digestion issues or if I was just a little paranoid about taking the medicine.

I took my 2nd 500mg tablet tonight. I feel the tablet kicking in as I am getting drowsy again.

I am not sure if I will be able to take this pill in the morning and then drive to work. Let alone take one at lunch and be able to make it through the rest of my work day. Anyone out there experience this drowsiness?
Lady KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:02 AM   #2  
I'm Praying for a Miracle

S/C/G: 232/196/159

Height: 5'6 1/2

A lot of times, with any new med. your body has to get used to it..
I dont recall having this issue.. but i started taking it 6 years ago. LOL
I had more issues with Everything I ate that contained grease, leavingmy body before I left the table.. or waking up the next morning with severe cramps.. and Dirahea. -- Which i still get to this day, If i have the wrong foods.. But on the flip side.. The pill does help a lot.. with weight loss, Dark patches on the skin, and some others side effects of pcos.. So sadly i would say hang in there.. Also the extended release version seemed to work better for me, If thats an option for you. and i would takemine about 5pm.. Just before dinner, but im home for the night.. Good Luck!!
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I've never felt drowsy. I think your body is just responding to a change in medications- once you get used to taking metformin, the symptom should stop.

Or maybe it's because of what you're eating? If I eat too much I tend to get drowsy.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:49 AM   #4  

Are you new to Met?
The drowsiness will go away. It took about three weeks for my body to adjust. Also you are probably eating too many carbs with your meal and it is making the Met drowsiness worse.
Water25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #5  

I'm feeling a little drowsy from the Met, too. I just started about three days ago. I agree that it's probably just your body getting acclimated to it. But if you're not sure, why not go ahead and give your doctor or pharmacist a call, just to check?
finallymrsvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #6  
Blessed by the Best

S/C/G: 242/220/160

Height: 5"7

I will be starting Metformin soon as well. I hope the out come is well. My doctor suggested it for me today. I will need to do all the proper lab work first. I will also be seeing a nutritionist and being placed on a high protein and low carb diet. If anyone can give me more details on the medication besides the fact that it's for IR it would be greatly appreciated thanx.
NavyWife4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:57 PM   #7  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I don't recall feeling drowsy from Metformin; maybe you are just tired and contributing that to the pill. I sit down to do a puzzle or read and suddenly I am drowsy and doze off: that's all it takes. Back to the MET -- your body will need a bit of time to adjust to the pill, but 500 mg per day is a lower dose; I started on 500 mg per meal, but stopped the one with breakfast as that made me feel sick. Later, I discovered that I had less side effects if I took 1000 mg with my dinner instead.

Sometimes, I would feel a bit nauseated, weak, shakey, and dizzy at first; but then I discovered that my blood sugar levels were a bit low for me. So, I would just have a light snack and that helped; some things helped quicker than others (ie 1/2 cup beer). My doctor recommended an apple but said the beer thing was OK too, if it made me feel better.

If I stick to my plan very well, and take the pills, sometimes I would get those symptoms. As time went on, they lessened. These pills are supposed to help you release excess water, and help your hormones help your body to regulate your blood sugar levels better. My blood sugar levels are now down to the 5's where they should be. Sometimes, if I eat something higher in sugar (ie chocolate) and take the MET, I may feel off.

Some people have more frequent bowel movements and some have diarrhea; and others have to urinate more often. I had two of those; not too much diarrhea unless I was sick or something now, as I am eating more whole grains which helped some. Some say that MET helps you to lose weight but you still have to eat healthy and exercise like anyone else does.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 294/270/170

Height: 5'7

Default Update on Drowsiness

Hi ladies !

I felt much better a couple of days after I posted my initial message advising the metformin made me dowsy. Thereafter for about 4 days, I would wake up in the morning full of energy. I was sooo excited because most days when I wake up I feel like I am pulling a mack truck. It takes everything I have to get me going in the morning.

Since, I have been not as tired in the morning but not fully energized either. Darn ! Anyway, now I am taking 500 mg of metformin once in the morning and once in the evening. Today I have been to the bathroom twice for loose # 2's... ughhhhh !!!!!! I am thinking it is from the slurge I did yesterday - pizza and ice cream.

I've learned my lesson, back to the better eating.
Lady KM is offline   Reply With Quote