LA Weight Loss - Exchange plans - support thread

View Full Version : Exchange plans - support thread

kaplods
05-31-2009, 01:26 AM
Introduction

I know several of us have talked about starting a thread for those of us who follow exchange plans, and so I thought I would get the ball rolling.

I debated whether to place the thread here or in the Calorie Counting forum, as exchange plans are calorie-controlled, and so I consider them a form of calorie counting, but some people do not, so I opted for this forum.

For anyone unfamiliar with exchange plans, there's a very good explanation of the basics on the hillbilly housewife website (here's the link):

http://healthy.hillbillyhousewife.com/introductiontoexpd.htm

One of the strongest advantages of exchange based plans, is that they tend to be quite similar (at least in terms of the exchanges). The American Diabetes Association and The American Dietetic Association first developed the exchange plan in the 1950's to make meal planning more convenient for diabetics. The exchanges have not changed much over the years (although various plans vary in terms of the distribution of exchanges, the exchanges themselves are quite consistent). This means that cookbooks written for one exchange plan is probably interchangeable with other exchange program cookbooks).

Some plans that are exchange-based
Many diabetic food plans (check cookbooks - some count only carbohydrates instead)
Weight Watchers (until 1997)
Richard Simmons Deal-A-Meal and Food Mover plans
Joanna Lund's Healthy Exchanges
(her cookbook recipes do rely heavily on name brand and processed foods)
First Place (a Christian program)
TOPS (taking off pounds sensibly)
The Duke Diet: The World-Renowned Program for Healthy and Lasting Weight Loss (the book lists two different carbohydrate levels)
Hillbilly housewife website, diating on a budget
(lists three carbohydrate levels at four calorie levels (12 plans)
http://healthy.hillbillyhousewife.com/foodplans.htm
__________________________________________________ ______

kaplods
05-31-2009, 01:32 AM
I didn't want to muddy the introduction post, so I'll put my personal post here.

I LOVE my exchange plan, but I've been very lax in following it, especially recently. I started getting out of the habit when I was diagnosed with the pneumonia. At the time, I was too sick to care much about documenting, and not really eating much, so it seemed rather pointless (and yet, I didn't lost a lot of weight, as I wasn't moving much - or often even awake, for that matter. It seems like I was hibernating, not sleeping).

But, hibernation is over, and Spring is here, so it's really time to begin rebuilding the good habits I let slide a bit during the winter.

My personal plan is loosely based on my experience in pre-1997 Weight Watcher's, and the information I found on the Hillbilly Housewife site and in the Duke Diet book I referenced in the introduction post. Through the years, I've heard a lot of people criticize exchange plans for being outdated and carb-heavy and at the time I thought and sometimes said, "why not trade some of the carb exchanges (bread and fruit) for protein exchanges, then," but before reading the Duke book, and finding the Hillbillyhousewife website, I hadn't known anyone else to make that suggestion.

Exchange plans are also sometimes being criticised for being less flexible than calorie counting, and, for the most part, I disagree (particularly if you add a flexible exchange component as I have). For my plan, I took the 1200 high protein plan I found on the Hillbilly Housewife website and added about 700 - 800 calories of flexible exchanges (up to 80 calories of starch, fruit, dairy or protein), because I had loved that when I was a member of Weight Watcher's when it was an exchange plan.

It's true that I can't (if I'm following my own rules), eat 1800 calories of chocolate, but I find that the forced balance of minimum (and maximum) servings of vegetables, fruit, dairy, protein, grains/starch, and fat are ways to make healthy eating a habit. There are, within the exchanges, healthier and less healthy choices (e.g. 80 calories of sweet potato being generally a healthy choice than a slice of white bread), but overall I find the flexibility and structure of my plan to be perfectly balanced. So, now all I need to do is USE IT.

My goal this week is to use my food journal/exchange checklist every day.

caroldakota
05-31-2009, 02:11 PM
Great minds think alike! Yesterday I dug out all my information I had from WW when it was the exchanges. I had much better results from the exchanges than I have had with points. Figured I would have to go it alone as I never heard anyone wanting to do the exchanges anymore.

Congratulations on your weightloss!

Liliann
05-31-2009, 02:45 PM
I had seen Ms Kaplods success so far and will start Richard Simmons Foodmover plan on June 1st. I am debating which calorie card to use 1600 or 1800..I want to learn to eat in moderation. I will bring my foodmover to the nutritionst tomorrow for face to face support.

I will be posting on a weekly basis, since I don't have acess to the net at the boarding home..I do come see my family during the weekends.

Thank you Ms Kaplods for starting this thread up. You are doing awesome and I know the exchange plans works. :)

Have a great day and week! :)

Alana in Canada
05-31-2009, 08:02 PM
This is timely!

I followed the WW plan pre-1977 and had great success, too. This time, I'm opting to use Bob Green's Best Life Plan which is potrion based--and from what I can tell, fairly compatible with the Exchange plan. I like the versatility too without all the number crunching of counting calories.

Lilianne--try 1800 first. You can always come down to 1600 if it doesn't work!

canadianwoman
05-31-2009, 10:58 PM
I had seen Ms Kaplods success so far and will start Richard Simmons Foodmover plan on June 1st. I am debating which calorie card to use 1600 or 1800..I want to learn to eat in moderation. I will bring my foodmover to the nutritionst tomorrow for face to face support.

I will be posting on a weekly basis, since I don't have acess to the net at the boarding home..I do come see my family during the weekends.

Thank you Ms Kaplods for starting this thread up. You are doing awesome and I know the exchange plans works. :)

Have a great day and week! :)

Hi Lilliann (such a pretty name) :)

I weigh more then you do......over 400 pounds and I am eating 1800 calories a day. I just upped my calories yesterday from 1600 as I was feeling too hungry....probably from my increase in activity.

canadianwoman
06-01-2009, 06:26 AM
Through the years, I've heard a lot of people criticize exchange plans for being outdated and carb-heavy and at the time I thought and sometimes said, "why not trade some of the carb exchanges (bread and fruit) for protein exchanges

When I first went on Deal-A-Meal back in 1996, I found it to be a carb heavy plan as well so I exchanged some of the carb options for protein ones. It must have worked as I lost 27 pounds the first month.

M2B
06-02-2009, 10:28 PM
I'm using TOPS. Once I had it figured out, it's easy to follow. One thing I find though is that "one carb" does not necessarily equal one carb in the exchange system. I really have to watch the calorie count on bread, for example.

I'm trying to be more dilligent in journalling because I KNOW it helps.. but it's something I'm terrible at doing.

Alana in Canada
06-02-2009, 11:17 PM
M2B--Howdy neighbour!

I'm having a great time on my second day of being on plan! But I am starting to run into a bit of difficulty with how to count certain things. For example, my homemade Lentil soup is packed with carrots and tomatoes--but daily plate says lentil soup is 150 calories for one cup. So, on my plan I counted it as two "grain" and one veggie. This is the "inexact" bit that I have to consciously decide it's not going to drive me nuts.

How is everyone doing?

kaplods
06-02-2009, 11:23 PM
I agree that bread and combination foods can be tricky - unless you have the nutrition label or you weigh it, but not really trickier than other exchanges if you remember not to confuse exchange with serving. Half a banana, 3/4 cup of raspberries, 17 grapes, or 1 1/4 cups of strawberries all are one fruit. You've got to know what a small apple looks like, or you have to weigh it.

Below is a helpful chart in determining how much of a food is equivalent to an exchange. In the book Exchanges for All Occasions (at least the 3rd edition, which is the one I have), there's a section on how to calculate the exchanges from a nutrition label by using the ingredient list and a little fairly basic math.

Bread Group: 80 calories, 15g carbohydrate and 3g protein
Vegetable Group: 25 calories, 5g carbohydrate and 2g protein
Fruit Group: 60 calories and 15g carbohydrate.
Protein: 55 calories, 7g protein and 3g fat.
Milk: 90 calories, 12g carbohydrate, 8g protein and less than 3g fat.
Fat: 45 calories and 5g fat
Other Carbohydrate: 80 calories, 15g carbohydrate and 3g protein. This category is used to replace a bread exchange.

I believe I've seen an exchange calculator online, in which you can plug in recipe ingredients/amounts, and the number of servings and it will kick out the exchanges. If I can find it, I'll post the link.

I did lousy yesterday. Didn't eat crazy, but didn't journal. Today, I've done much better. I did have to do a little math to figure out the exchanges for my share of a frozen pizza. We buy the Adi's frozen pizzas fairly often, at least once amonth, but I keep forgetting to write down the exchanges, so I end up re-calculating them every time. They're really a fairly good bargain, both $ and diet-wise, because they're $2.50 for standard-size frozen pizza, and around 1500 calories for the entire pizza, so if I cut it in 8 pieces, that's only about 200 calories a slice. Hubby and I can each get a couple meals out of each pizza (if we're eating the pizza for breakfast or lunch, it's a little skimpy for dinner for hubby. I don't mind as long as I have a nice salad to go with).

caroldakota
06-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Thank you for sharing the exchange equivalents that will come in handy. I am doing wonderful with the exchanges so far. One thing I have noticed is that my cravings have been virtually nonexistent and it also seems that I'm not hungry between meals. I know I'm eating much better and foods that are more sustaining. I hope this feeling lasts!

caroldakota
06-07-2009, 11:20 AM
My weight is down 8 pounds this first week, I haven't had success like that with the points. I am following the personal choice program from 1990 and incorporating the diabetic exchange information. My older sister was diagnosed with diabetes and guess it kind of scared me into thinking I better do something now.

M2B
06-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Thank you for sharing the exchange equivalents that will come in handy. I am doing wonderful with the exchanges so far. One thing I have noticed is that my cravings have been virtually nonexistent and it also seems that I'm not hungry between meals. I know I'm eating much better and foods that are more sustaining. I hope this feeling lasts!

That's great!

Thinfor5Minutes
06-11-2009, 12:46 PM
I became a lifetime member of WW back in 1995 and thought the exchange programs were great. I was very disappointed when WW thought they had to change things up with "Points." One thing I liked about exchanges is that it forces you to eat from all food groups in appropriate amounts. It's too easy to eat your Points with Snickers bars and such.

M2B
06-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Well crud. Up 1/2 because no matter what I did.. I was bloated. But, I got through 20 mins of Kathy Sansone today, and am keeping track of exchanges. I've saved myself a couple of carbs so I can have a full burger ( complete with bun) for supper. They'll be BBQ'd and don't shrink much.. fat content is "OK" as far as burgers go.

I'm finding lately that carbs are the tough ones to stay within exchanges. Fruits/veg are easy to get in.. so are the meats. Carbs are tough to keep in line!

eta: Howdy back Alana! Looks like we're finally getting summer like weather.. walks may be possible again.

Thinfor5Minutes
06-16-2009, 09:29 AM
I think it's common to get the belly bloat and other similar issues when you first change your eating habits...no matter which program you are using. Your body has to make some adjustments, and that takes time and isn't always comfortable.

M2B
06-16-2009, 12:25 PM
No, this was just monthly bloating. I've been going to TOPS for a long time. :) Weigh in again tomorrow night. I've gotten in more exercise and been more careful with the eating, so we shall see.

Alana in Canada
06-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Water, water and more water.

I'm going to detail my exchange "allowence" per day. Yesterday was the start of my fourth week and while I had trouble limiting my bread group in the beginning, last night I had two left before bed. Two! So, I'm slowly weaning myself off the excessive carbs I used to wolf down.

This plan is from Bob Greene's Best Foods Diet. 1600 calories. I made up a chart like the old WW chart I had from the 80's and I write down what I eat and tick off my boxes after every meal.

So: fruit: 2 exchanges
Vegetables: 4 exchanges
Grain (or bread): 5 exchanges
Dairy: 2 exchanges
Protein: 7 exchanges (1 ounce each. I don't sweat "lean" vs "medium fat" -- we eat beef only about 2x a week around here anyway).
Fat: 5 exchanges.
Water: 8-8oz glasses.

The numbers: (If I've done my calculations correctly and there's no guarantee that I have!)
Protein: 41%
Carb: 45%
Fat: 14%

JoJoJo2
06-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Best of luck to you all.

I have been following the exchange program for over 9 years now, using Richard Simmons Foodmover. I went from 196.5 to 150 back in the year 2000. Since then I have dropped another 15 lbs. or so. I have to be careful of the carbs but that's OK.

I think it is a great program, and I am thankful I found it. It works for me.

M2B
06-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Alana that looks very similar to mine at TOPS.. a couple more proteins I think. How bad is that though.. I have to look after almost ten years!! (off and on)

I can keep carbs in check for a couple of days and then look out. Even when I'm journalling. Maybe the best way for me is to go back to the book, and follow the meal plan in there until I get a grip on it again. At the very least I need to look again at how the carbs are spaced throughout the day.

kaplods
06-16-2009, 08:52 PM
I still struggle with carb choices, because most high carb food, even from "good carb" sources like whole grains and high fiber fruits and starchy veggies, there's always a risk of rebound hunger.

I "get" the biolochemistry - carbohydrates trigger insulin spike, and insulin spike triggers hunger. My husband's diabetic counselor explained to us that the more overweight and/or insulin resistant a person is, the deeper the spikes tend to be, so the more extreme the insulin release. Very high GI carbs like sugar create an intense hunger spike, and a very difficult to control "more, more, more, more," impulse for high carb foods. Lower GI carb foods like squash and fruit result in a lower spike (but I'm also less likey to recognize it as an "irrational" hunger, so if I'm not really being vigilant, I can still overeat).

I'm thinking of allowing only protein, fat, and dairy (and possibly low carb fruits, like berries) for my "optional" exchanges. I think it's been the higher starch/sugar choices that have been making it really hard for me to stick to my food plan. When I stick to my three fruits and two starches and spend my optional exchanges on lower carb choices, I do very well. When I spend the optional exchanges on higher carb choices, I'm more likely to eat over my allottments (and usually foods I shouldn't be eating at all).

As much as I know that lower carb eating really is the only way I can control hunger, it's so hard to undo thirty five years of education that says "low carb" is not balanced, healthy eating.

Bev
06-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Mind if I join you ladies? I am going to try an old weight watchers program called the freedom plan. I would love to support.

bev

kaplods
06-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi Bev, and welcome.

hereicome
07-11-2009, 06:55 PM
I just ordered the new Deal a Meal for 2009. Something has to work. I also ordered sweating to the oldies on qvc today.

Me Too
07-11-2009, 07:36 PM
I love sweating to the oldies, they are so much fun to do.
I have been doing foxy ladies lately, kind of a senior one, but hay I'm moving and grooving.
when every the latest diet fails, or I fail it, I always go back to my foodmover, then I know I'm getting plenty of veggies in daily.

Me Too
07-12-2009, 09:26 AM
I have never been to a Tops meeting, but a friend gave me The Choice Is Mine book. I also have my beloved Foodmover.
Question, why do you do an exchange food plan instead of counting calories? I still keep going back and forth with this, trying to decide which is best for me, I know I can't do restricted diets anymore.

kaplods
07-12-2009, 12:25 PM
I chose an exchange plan because

it reminds me that what I'm eating is as important as the calorie content.

It reminds me to that a balanced diet is important.

Choosing food from all of the food groups helps reign in "food jags."

It reminds me not to overeat from my favorite food groups, and to include food from food groups I'm not so fond of.

It prevents me from obsessing over whether a piece of fruit has 55 calories or 60.

It helps me choose healthier whole foods (because they're easiest to calculate).

It makes grocery shopping and meal planning easier.

Me Too
08-29-2009, 06:33 PM
I am back, after many attempts at other diets where I have to follow a certain food list, and failed miserably I am back to my food mover. All I have to do is close a window. I am tired of feeling deprived all the time. So watching protein size, making sure I get enough fruits and veggies a day, drinking my water and exercising I will lose weight.
I hope this thread picks up and we all can share some ideas and recipes along the way.

kaplods
08-29-2009, 06:48 PM
I've not lost any weight in a long time. I'm doing just enough to keep from regaining. It's my usual response to stressful times (now it's my usual response: for most of my life, my usual response to stressful situations was to eat and gain weight).

Still, I haven't been keeping my food journal regularly. I'll plan on it, and start it, but if I eat a single food off plan, or if I go over my alottment, or eat something I'm not sure how to count - I have a tendency to abandon the journal for the rest of the day. It's a bad habit, I need to break. I've done so in the past, so I keep giving myself good advice (record every bite, even if it is "over budget."), but For the past few months I haven't listened to myself.

Well, yesterday I finally listened. I wrote down everything. It was a crazy, hectic day, so I had many excuses, but I followed through and wrote everything down. I overshot my calorie level significantly.

I usually wait to write the food down until after I eat it. I've decided that I'm going to write everything down BEFORE I eat it. At least then going over budget will always be a conscious choice, not an "oops, I didn't realize.

So far (I know it's only been one day), it's been very successful. It's taking advantage of my laziness. I found myself avoiding a snack because I didn't feel like taking the time to write it down (I guess I wasn't that hungry, after all).

Me Too
08-29-2009, 07:27 PM
I know what you mean, I have been way off any kind of plan the past few days, binge eating at its best. I feel sick to my stomach both emotionally and physically.
I need to regroup, refocus and get back on plan ASAP.
I will plan at least tomorrows meals tonight and get ready for yet another Monday. This time I will.

Bootsie
08-29-2009, 09:44 PM
I was just reading over and I have done the exchange plan from First Place for 9 years; but fell off the wagon one year and gained 35 pounds back. We counted calories and exchanges as long as I stayed under 1350 calories ,I lost weight but seemed like my calories kept adding up faster than my minutes in exercise ,sorta like a stack of bills and no money, if I was not careful and write it down when I bit it.
I have been back off the exchange program and tried eating till I got full , well that did not work that just put 10 pounds on me! So I am back to exchange and counting my calories, I think that is the diet for me. Do you mind if I join y'all?

kaplods
08-29-2009, 09:53 PM
Welcome, Bootsie!

The more, the merrier.

Bootsie
08-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Thank You Kaplods, I am really ready to start loosing again. I know it is going to be hard work but I know that I can do it, because I did before. I had lost 90 pounds but 15 was on the Atkins diet my doctor had put me on.
I think one thing that is causing me to gain weight is I have no garden to work in because of the dry hot Texas weather. Thought tomorrow, I might start up the weed eater and get the dry weeds down so when it does rain it will look so nice. I am going to write out my menu tonight for tomorrow and see if I can stick with it.

M2B
08-30-2009, 12:06 AM
I have never been to a Tops meeting, but a friend gave me The Choice Is Mine book. I also have my beloved Foodmover.
Question, why do you do an exchange food plan instead of counting calories? I still keep going back and forth with this, trying to decide which is best for me, I know I can't do restricted diets anymore.

I find exchanges quicker and easier to use. I keep my exchange tracker handy (there's a blank copy in The Choice is Mine) so it's easy to see how many I have had that day. There's an erasable one available, too. I can use the meal plan in the book, or there's on online. I use that when I don't want to think/meal plan a whole lot or when I know I'll be tempted to be lazy.

Sometimes I find it tough to get in all of the exchanges. It's actually a lot of food.

kaplods
08-30-2009, 01:32 AM
Another GREAT thing about exchange plans, is that the exchanges are almost always universal. I've only found one or two where the exchanges are a bit different. For example, I believe in the DASH (a blood pressure reduction diet) one protein serving is equivalent to three protein servings on other plans. And I found an old plan that broke the vegetable category into two types of veggies (potatoes were still "bread" servings, but beets, carrots, and sweet peas were "starchy veggie" servings).

Still, even then the differences were so minor, I could easily "translate" recipes from one exchange plan to the one I was using, and usually no translation was necessary. It means that most, if not all, exchange plan cookbooks are interchangeable. The plans may call for different distributions of the exchanges, but the exchanges are always the same. It means that I can follow a low carb plan, just by reducing the number of carbohydrate-rich exchanges and increasing the protein and fat exchanges. I can follow a low fat plan, by reducing the fat exchanges. I can add more fruit and veggie exchanges and swap out equivalent exchanges somewhere else.

That really was a breakthrough for me, realizing that I could tweak an exchange plan any direction I wanted to. I don't know why I never thought of it myself, but until I found a website (hillbillyhousewife.org) that listed several exchange plan versions for different proportions of carbohydrates, it just didn't dawn on me to consider it. When I found that high-carb foods tend to make me hungrier, I didn't automatically consider using an exchange plan, swapping bread exchanges for protein/fat.

Now I look at the plan much differently. I was discussing exchange plans with a friend recently, and she argued that exchange plans are too inflexible, and nutritionally out-of-date (focusing too heavily on carbohydrate foods and too low in vegetables), and I pointed out that it's a problem easy enough to solve just by swapping the starch/bread exchanges for protein and increasing the number of veggie servings. Voila - updated exchange plan.

I also love that exchange plans, eventually make doing the math easier. You start to notice that most foods of a particular type have about the same calories per ounce, or measuring cup measurement. For example, a fruit serving of most berries usually measure about a cup. For blueberries it's 3/4 of a cup and strawberries it's 1 1/4 cup. If you forget that, but remember most berries will be are about a cup - you would still get pretty close only being 1/4 of a cup over or under (of course it can add up, but still, overall you've got a shot at estimating servings a bit better exact calorie counts - and if you need to be precise, the exchange counts are available online almost as easily as calorie counts).

Me Too
08-30-2009, 08:58 AM
I am really starting to see how very simple exchange plan can be. I don't have diabetics, but DH does and I thought this would be good for him, and its flexible for each of us to have our own exchanges.
Not that he will use a foodmover.
I have a Joanna Lund cookbook for exchanges, are there any other cookbooks for exchnages?

Bootsie
08-30-2009, 10:16 AM
WOW! I never knew but there was one exchange plan, the diabetic one, that is good to know. I am not a diabetic either but it is in my blood and I am determined to nip it in the bud before it even gets started.

kaplods
08-30-2009, 08:59 PM
I am really starting to see how very simple exchange plan can be. I don't have diabetics, but DH does and I thought this would be good for him, and its flexible for each of us to have our own exchanges.
Not that he will use a foodmover.
I have a Joanna Lund cookbook for exchanges, are there any other cookbooks for exchnages?

There are TONS of exchange cookbooks (many are out of print, but can be bought very cheaply used on amazon.com - or can be found or ordered through interlibrary loans at local libraries).

All Weight Watcher's cookbooks published prior to 1997.

Cookbooks by Richard Simmons

Many cookbooks published by the The American Diabetes Association and The American Dietetic Association.

__

If you use the amazon.com search box "exchange plan cookbooks," dozens and dozens of cookbooks will pop up.

Me Too
08-30-2009, 11:26 PM
I checked out Amazon and some of the cookbooks said the new Carb counting system, i had no idea what that was.
I will look at the WW old cookbooks thank you.

Bootsie
08-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Kaplods thanks for the info, I am going to town tomorrow and by the Library Thrift Shop and they always have some of these books on hand for like 3 dollars. I got to thinking I had bought a weight watchers and I did and it is a 1982, this is really going to help. Thanks here for the info!

Alana in Canada
08-31-2009, 01:46 PM
HI everyone! Glad to see this group has grown!

I like Leanne Ely's cookbooks: she lists the recipes both by exchanges and calories counts. She has a vegetarian cookbook, a Low-carb, and her regular, everyday "Saving Dinner" as well as others. I find the "Low-Carb" to be easiest to use on the exchange plan, really. I love Ely: five out of six meals a week at my house are from her books.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Bob Greene's Best Life "diet" is an exchange plan. You simply add more exchanges of different categories as you excercise more (and subtract if you eat less.) I'm following a plan which adds up to 1600 calories. I made my own chart to help me keep track. Perhaps it might help some of you to see it?

I've been extremely unfocused this month--I am recommitting to my goals today!

Me Too
08-31-2009, 05:06 PM
I love this way of eating, today I had my day all planned, well things happened, (an unsuspecting few cookies) and all I had to do was adjust my starch add 1 fat. Now I don't want to do this all the time, the point is I don't feel like I cheated and have to start all over again, its more like a mild speed bump that I made allowances for.

Bootsie
09-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Karen your getting the hang of it. I got my meals all planned out and exercise too, that is very important. I was reading the weight watchers cook book last night and it tells about how to plan your meals too a-lot of tips so glad I bought that book , actually it was for someone else and they got them one more up to date than this one, so it became mine , so happy now about that.
I was up last night protecting my goats from coyote's and drinked coffee all night so I did not even look at the scales this morning ugh! Made the guys some cookies , my favorite Oatmeal and chocolate chip with pecans and I did not eat a one! Yeah! I have 3 Oatmeal in there , for 3 goats, Battle Axe, Allison and Flower that love my cookies. The dogs love them too next time will save them some.

Me Too
09-02-2009, 08:48 AM
Battle Axe and Flower how funny, love the names.
I had a good day yesterday, stayed on plan, washed sheets and walked WM.
I made a decision to stay away from sugar stuff of any kind, except in my coffee. Giving up sugar, one less thing to worry about now.
Planned my day and will enjoy the food I have chosen to have, and will do my gazelle today.

Bootsie
09-02-2009, 09:55 AM
I stayed on my menu yesterday but have not made it out for today yet. I really don't feel very hungry this morning. I think I will have some toast and I have found that diet pudding made with splenda on my toast is not bad at all but tasty.

Karen, please be careful giving up sugar all at once you may get a hang over headache that last for 5 days and even if you eat sugar to get rid of it ,it will stay, it is terrible. Please gradually cut down and eat natural sugar to prevent that from happening. I hate to hear of anyone going through that pain and it is all because we are addicted to sugar, like a drug.

Natural sugar is food that turns to sugar or honey but remember don't eat to much or it will make you sick. I am trying to think but carrots, sweet potatoes ,potatoes , honey , maple syrup or all natural, and I am sure there are some more. Look on the labels if it has more than 10 grams of sugar in it avoid it, that is the way my friend taught me to prevent the severe headache that will throw you for a loop. After your body gets used to eating like that, then start cutting back some more, but do it slowly. Just a suggestion to avoid the headache.

Me Too
09-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Thank you Bootsie, I will be careful giving up sugar, I suffer from migraines so I know about headaches.
I thought gateraide was ok until found out it was 33 grams of sugar, good grief.
For the most part I have cut down on deserts and such already, its been a slow process but I am eating better.
One reason I like exchange eating is I know i get my required amounts of foods daily, like 4 veggies and 2 fruits, i can also keep track of the carbs this way.

Bootsie
09-03-2009, 10:40 AM
I am driving by but wanted to check in and say hi will be back later and post. That sounds great Karen. I had a hard time yesterday but my friend Kelli gave me a good Christian kick this morning and I am back on track plus the weight and the exercise contest seeing those girls work so hard and never giving up really makes me want to press on.

Bootsie
09-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Where is everyone! :mag: I have not found you yet! Hope your not sick!

kaplods
09-04-2009, 09:10 PM
I've decided to add a list of exchange resources to my blog. I'm sure there are thousands, because I found hundreds of titles on amazon.com, so I may eventually have to break it into more pages (maybe each program having it's own page) I have only read a few of them myself, so I can't vouch for the accuracy or quality of the information. The books are as much my personal wish-list as a public service.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/kaplods/

Bootsie
09-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks went to your Blog and checked out some of the books. I am hoping when i get on my husbands scales tomorrow, I have lost! I am weighing on Sunday because that is the day for some reason I like to weigh! Tomorrow I get my kitchen sink fixed, hope he still is going to fix it and have hot water in my sink again! It leaked so bad I have turned the hot water off.

Me Too
09-06-2009, 12:39 PM
I have been eating non diet meals, but sticking to small portions and I have still lost 1 lb this week!!
still doing exchange, which I think I can do for life.

Bootsie
09-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Karen I have been doing the same thing but it has become a habit for me to kind of balance it all out , sometimes it just don't work that way though for me.

I picked up a book this morning by Selene Yeager and Bridget Doherty put out by prevention Get Thin Get Young, Ha that title just caught my eye. It is about cutting down on portions and exercise,fashion,making time for yourself, which is something we should all make time for. I checked out yoga on TV this morning and I like it, it really hits parts of your body that walking and bikes , dancing does not even touch my body, like that did. You know it is impossible for me to stand on one foot with my eyes closed? I cannot do that, my eyes have to be open. I am going to get me a tape on yoga for I think that is going to be a great exercise for me.
On the fashion you would be surprised what colors and etc make you look slimmer or larger .

Me Too
09-06-2009, 05:21 PM
I bought me a divided baby plate at a yard sale, I think it may work for portion control.
I'm taking it to a pot luck we are going to tonight.
wish me luck.

canadianwoman
09-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Hi ladies

I have fallen off the wagon for a while. I have been really ill these last 6 weeks (mainly with female health issues) and am just now starting to feel better. Yesterday was the first day in six weeks I actually felt good. Good enough to enjoy it. I even had a little energy which was nice.

Anyway, I am restarting my deal-a-meal cards tomorrow.

Later this evening or tomorrow, I will post what my exchanges will be. I might even start a blog about it. That might keep me motivated.

canadianwoman
09-06-2009, 08:56 PM
I bought me a divided baby plate at a yard sale, I think it may work for portion control.
I'm taking it to a pot luck we are going to tonight.
wish me luck.

Good luck. The plate sounds like a good idea. Let us know how it went. I am interested.

Me Too
09-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Hi Canadian i was wondering what happen to you, we used to chat on another forum about exchange diets.
I am so ready for Labor Day to be over so I can get back on plan.
Right now I am so sick of food.

kaplods
09-06-2009, 09:39 PM
It was a beautiful day today, so hubby and I went on a "cheese run" today to one of the local cheesemakers. They were having a special promotion for their flavored Montery Jack cheeses ($2.00 to $4.00 per lb.). I bought one pound bricks of Reduced Fat Pepperjack, Garlic and Herb, and one with a "blue" cheese marbeled through the jack. Hubby chose smoked swiss, and mozarella whips (a very thin string cheese, a little thinner than that of an average pencil).

I know that cheese can be a problem food for a lot of people, but for me I do well with cheese as long as I'm not eating it with a high carb food. A few small pieces of cheese are satisfying to me, but add crackers or other fast-acting carb, and I can eat until I'm sick. SO the secret for me, is to just eat cheese in a meal or snack without any high carb foods in the same snack/meal.

The bad news - we decided to stop for lunch, and the best choice was Golden Corral (a mega-buffet). I actually did very well. My first plate was mostly asparagus, spinach and other veggies. I choose mostly the veggies in steam trays that didn't seem to havelike butter or other fats had been added.
I stayed within my calorie budget, but I know that with my IBS, I'm going to suffer for it. So, I expect a severe stomach ache late tonight, early tomorrow.

Still if I'm going to "suffer" for overeating, I'd rather be it due to veggie overload than calorie overload.

Bootsie
09-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Hey there Candian Woman, I have a lot of friends in Canada, all are supper nice and so smart! Sorry to hear that you have been sick but so glad your feeling better and back. Kaplod sounds like you had a great time today with Hubby, I never ate cheese until I married David ,beets either...just could not stand either, I also weighed 125 pounds then too, hmm.. You know since I got married I gained 134 pounds! :yikes: I lost 61 that have not gained back but had lost 90 all together, so fighting not to gain it back .I just worked to hard loosing all that weight to gain it back!
Karen that is a good idea I went to a Texas BQ tonight I took homemade bread, and they did not have to much fattening stuff except a friend wanted me to try her brownie, so I did . :( But o well , I plan on doing better tomorrow and I have a small plate too Karen I have a fish & steak eat out tomorrow night. I know if I eat to much I feel so sick anymore.

canadianwoman
09-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Hi Canadian i was wondering what happen to you, we used to chat on another forum about exchange diets.

We did? Private message me and let me know where. Did you have another nickname?

I am so ready for Labor Day to be over so I can get back on plan.
Right now I am so sick of food.

I am restarting tomorrow so I am looking forward to Labour day coming. I just had a nice meal of gluten free spaghetti and meatsauce. My final supper. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Me Too
09-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Positive steps today, organizing a food list of foods I eat and their exchange values, so I can just look at the list and see what I can eat daily, no more excuses.
Really feel good about eating well and want to lose 20 lbs by Christmas to be under 200! Well gotta take Cody for a hike, have a good exchange day everybody.

Bootsie
09-07-2009, 09:29 AM
I love new beginnings Candianwoman so thankful we have more than a second chance in what we want. I started out August 28 at 198 now I am down to 196.5 and am on the weight and exercise contest in Chicks up for a challenge, that is really helping me stay on track. I am having trouble planning my menu this weekend for I never know what is for supper so tomorrow I will be back to normal, have another eat out tonight. So trying to wait till mid morning to eat Breakfast and lunch together then, tonight at 7 is suppose to be the eat out. I may eat a little before i go so I won't over do it. Sorta like eat before you go to the grocery store so you won't try to buy out the whole store!

Alana in Canada
09-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Kap;ods, I'm sorry you are going to "suffer" for eating vegetables. What is IBS?

You mentioned you put some resources on your blog. How do I access it?

kaplods
09-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Kap;ods, I'm sorry you are going to "suffer" for eating vegetables. What is IBS?

You mentioned you put some resources on your blog. How do I access it?

IBS is "irritable bowel syndrome." In a nutshell, it means that any time I drastically change my diet (or occasionally, for no reason that I can figure out at all), I'm likely to experience some kind of "gastrointestinal distress," especially if I overeat fats or fruits and vegetables (especially raw). The further I deviate from my "normal" diet, the more likely I am to have severe symptoms (at it's worst, it's like having a nasty stomache virus or food poisoning).

It isn't so much veggies that trigger my IBS, it's more the amount of change from my normal diet. In the winter, I usually eat about 1 to 3 servings of fruit, and 3 to 4 servings of vegetables (1 cup raw or 1/2 cup cook, for most). In the summer, I eat more, A LOT MORE. It's not terribly unusual for me to have more than ten servings. If I'm "smart," I slowly increase the servings day by day, but there are times when I eat a lot more than I should, and just suffer the cosequences.

At the buffet, I would estimate that I had about 7 servings of veggies or more (I think I ate about a lb of asparagus, alone). That's less than 200 calories worth of veggies, but 200 calories provides a lot of veggie. Then for desert, I had about 2 to 3 servings of watermelon (about 2 to 3 cups, and another 200 calories or so).

In essence, I ate a days worth of fruits and veggies in one meal, but I ended up not having any problems (although I did end up eating no more veggies the rest of the day. I wasn't hungry until early evening, and only had a light yogurt). Dairy can be another trigger, but yogurt and cheese doesn't seem to give me the trouble that milk does (maybe I'm a bit lactose intolerant).

As for my blog, below this paragraph, I've posted the link. The book titles are still listed on the main page, but when it "falls off," you can click on "Exchange plan information" (it's under the column titled "Categories" on the right hand side of the page.

justmary
09-07-2009, 11:45 PM
Hi everyone, I would love to join your group. I was planning on doing WW points but I'm not such a fan of that program because you can just about eat what you want as long as you stay within the points allotted to you. I'd much prefer the exchange system. I use to be on it years ago. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

mary

kaplods
09-08-2009, 12:49 AM
Hi Mary,

Welcome.

Bootsie
09-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Oh WOW! Love your picture Kaplod! I been thinking about putting mine up but still don't know if will. I tried to check in earlier and would not let me . :welcome3: Mary so glad you decided to join us! Hope you like it here.
Got a 4 mile walk in this morning really enjoyed it, of course God had some wild flowers along my path, they are so pretty, a purple color today. Still don't know how he gets them to bloom in this dry hot weather, but he can do what we can't. May have to do some traveling or stay at the store so need to get busy .Y'all have a great day!

justmary
09-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Hi guys, thanks for the welcome!

Kaplods, you did an awesome job eating out at Golden Corral. I've eaten there only once and I'm glad I wasn't on a diet at that time because I would have been so bad.:D If I ever get a chance to eat there again, I hope to eat as well as you did, with the addition of baked fish or maybe grilled chicken.

Thanks for the list of books you put on your site. If anyone sees one book they like and have used more than any other would you please share it. I have no idea and I might can afford to get one book. I do have a diabetic exchange booklet a dietician I saw a few years ago gave me so I can use that for starters.

Well, I'll go see if I can work out a meal plan for tomorrow. See you all later.

mary

Me Too
09-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Welcome Mary, so glad you can join us and share exchanges.

Kaplods love your new pic, looking great.

rain today, did OK plan wise, didn't get my hike in today, oh well tomorrow is another day.

Bootsie
09-09-2009, 11:55 AM
I have almost got 5 miles in this morning, 4 with Lee my dog, who he and I had a meeting of the minds this morning. He won the first round but I won in the second round, he did not want to get back into his pen and I told him he had too and tried shoving him in, he turned on me , so I backed off but I held his collar and told him to please go in and his feet were stuck to the ground, was not moving. I said fine! I know how to get you in! I went in the house and grabbed a piece of lunch meat and he ran over and got in his pen and sit down and was ready for me to hand it to him. I was not going to fall for that trick, grabb it and knock me backwards ,no way, I threw it in the back of his pen! Ha! I won! He ain't going with me tomorrow I am taking Pepper or Sunny, not him! How dare he threaten to bite me!
Went to the well house and turned the water off ,it was running over out here, so thankful for that. All the tanks are full right now and the weather man has predicted rain about all week, hope he is right.
Fixing to go feed the animals and work on filling that liquid feeder up with dirt.Y'all have a wonderful day!

Me Too
09-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Hiked with Cody today, did good food wise until dinner, when to a barb a que had a pork sandwich, beans and some cole slaw, no seconds so not to bad a day.
rained again today, made a cup of tea and was reading a good book, Cody by my feet, a nice afternoon.

Mickey
09-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Hello to all, I have enjoyed reading the posts.
I have not been on 3FC in a long time, but always enjoyed it.
I need to get back to watching my calories with the exchange system. And journaling, and exercising! I have not done this in a while and it show!
I find that the exchange plan works best for me, amd I have pretty much tried them all!
And I need support and a good :kickbutt: every once in a while!

I don't know if I can post every day, however I will try, as that also helps me.
And I will be supportive of others, if I wish to receive, I need to give!
I am on a challenge and plan to lose 5 pounds in the next 6 weeks!
:grouphug:

kaplods
09-09-2009, 09:53 PM
... Kaplods love your new pic, looking great...

Thank you. I figured it was time to exchange the wedding pic since hubby and I are going to be married 7 years November 2nd.

Welcome Mickey

I found a new cookbook to add to my collection: Weight Watchers Meals in Minutes Cookbook (1989). All-in-all a pretty good cookbook. Looks like I'll be trying at least a few of the recipes.

On my blog, I reviewed the book

Plan-wise, I'm doing very well today. I printed out my exchange worksheets for the coming week. Luckily, there was just barely enough ink in the cartrige to print what I needed.

Bootsie
09-09-2009, 10:00 PM
:welcome: Mickey! I find it the best too, always come back to it and studying the word of Jesus, never fails. I find the more you post the more involve you come in to loosing weight and becoming healthy, the more friends you make too! I am in the Faith, and two challenges weight and exercise with Chicks for a challenge. I ate off of the exchange today, well not really but did not measure my food out and i think I ate too much!:tired:I feel like I have a hang over....well I still got to go do my Bible study,so happy you have joined us!

Me Too
09-10-2009, 09:06 AM
WELCOME Mickey, so glad you can join us. I too feel this is the best lifestyle diet for me. Somehow I eat better on the exchange plan and when I think I am cheating, I'm really not.
You are so right Bootsie, between Jesus and exchange diet along with 3chicks we can't help but lose weight and get healthy.
Today we are going to town, so I must make wise choices, and get my exercise in.
Have a great day all.

Me Too
09-10-2009, 11:06 AM
OK I have been doing the foodmover my way, now I have been reading I may have been doing it wrong.
This morning I had 2 eggs, 2 slices of turkey bacon, 1/2 C cottage cheese and 1 slice of toast with a little butter,
So I counted it as 4 protein, 2 for 2 eggs, 1 for 2 slices of turkey bacon and 1 for the cottage cheese, 1 starch for the toast, and 1 fat for the butter.
Am I right?

canadianwoman
09-10-2009, 11:47 AM
OK I have been doing the foodmover my way, now I have been reading I may have been doing it wrong.
This morning I had 2 eggs, 2 slices of turkey bacon, 1/2 C cottage cheese and 1 slice of toast with a little butter,
So I counted it as 4 protein, 2 for 2 eggs, 1 for 2 slices of turkey bacon and 1 for the cottage cheese, 1 starch for the toast, and 1 fat for the butter.
Am I right?

I believe the bacon counts as 2 fats. Regular bacon counts as 1 fat per strip on my Deal A Meal. Turkey bacon might be 1 fat for 2 or 3 strips. I am not certain on that but I can look up my updated info (from the Richard Simmons website) and get back to you later. Cottage cheese counts as a dairy if I remember correctly.

Bootsie
09-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Karen what I go by is the old first place meat exchange so it may be a little different, think you did really good on your breakfast though;
This is what I got:
2 eggs- 2 meats 1 fat , yolk has fat in it my understanding, best part! If you had egg whites only they can be counted as meat or milk! We just learned that the last year I was in First place.

2 slices Turkey Bacon 1 meat 1 fat

1/2 cottage cheese 1 milk

1 toast -1 bread

1 T. butter - 1 fat

Make sure you drink plenty of water.

justmary
09-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Hi everyone,

Welcome Mickey!

Bootsie, what bible study do you use? Is it something off the internet? I've been searching for a good bible study program. Something that is interesting and really makes you think. I'm sorry to say that there is so much I don't know when it comes to the bible and I'm really wanting to learn.

I messed up really bad today. I had to take my mom and dad to Poplar Bluff, MO, for their VA appts. It always makes their day whenever they have to go there, to go to Ryans and eat from their buffet. I wanted to do good. I kept thinking about Kaplods and how well she did at the Golden Corral. And I really wanted to be like her but when I got up there to all that food, well, let's say I better stay away from buffet places for awhile.:dizzy:

But I'm putting that behind me and will plan for tomorrow before I go to bed tonight. I hope you all are having a good one today.

mary

Alana in Canada
09-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Things like Bacon are counted as both a fat and a protein. On the old, old ww plan, you were "allowed" four eggs a week: and one counted as one protein. Actually, come to think of it, I don't think the Bacon counted as a protein at all--just a fat. (45 calories per slice.) That's how I count it on my plan, anyway.

Cheese (regular fat. I don't like the texture of low fat) is one protein and one fat.

1/2 cup of cottage heese is simply a protein.

Dairy is just milk and yogurt. All the rest of it is protein--that's what I do, anyway. It doesn't strictly matter--as long as it works for you!

Bootsie
09-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Mary, Kelli in the Faith Group has a Bible study going, I just use my own diet, ya might want to check it out. She hits lots of where I have been , sorta hits home so to speak but I do better on the exchange program.

Alana in Canada
09-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Sorry, Kaplods, meant to thank you for the link to the blog. I will check it out as soon as I can.

Me Too
09-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Thank you everybody for your input, I guess there is a difference in exchanges after all. I go by Hillbilly website and she says cottage cheese is protein. I didn't know about the fat in eggs or the bacon, but it does make sense.

Mary, google Jordan Parks, it a great Bible Study, DH and I did the whole study, very interesting.

Alana in Canada
09-11-2009, 12:27 AM
I think that as long as you are consistent and you are making well informed choices (like whether you want to eat no eggs, four eggs or an unlimited amount each week, depending on your understanding of the research out there on the advisability of eating egg yolks) you really can't go wrong.

One of the reasons I like an exchange plan is that I don't have to get hung up on paralysing perfection. Maybe I'll feel differently when I have to "watch" what I eat more closely--as there is less and less of me to lose--but for right now getting in the "ball park" of my goals (1600 calories, divvied up as the chart above shows) is good enough.

canadianwoman
09-11-2009, 12:56 AM
I think that as long as you are consistent and you are making well informed choices (like whether you want to eat no eggs, four eggs or an unlimited amount each week, depending on your understanding of the research out there on the advisability of eating egg yolks) you really can't go wrong.

That is the truth right there. :) As long as you are sticking to your plan you cannot go wrong.

Great blog Alana. I am enjoying reading about your progress and I have to say you have a very pretty kitchen. I had always wanted a yellow kitchen (I have an ugly white one.).

kaplods
09-11-2009, 01:51 AM
Thank you everybody for your input, I guess there is a difference in exchanges after all. I go by Hillbilly website and she says cottage cheese is protein. I didn't know about the fat in eggs or the bacon, but it does make sense...

The differences really are not nearly as significant as you might think. There are many foods that can be counted several different ways. Some plans "make" the decision for you, and some give you the choice of how to count it (for example allowing you to calculate 80 calories worth of cottage cheese as either one protein or one dairy serving). Fruit, starch, and dairy exchanges have similar carbohydrate and calorie counts, so while they're not completely interchangeable there are a lot of foods that could be counted several different ways. Dairy foods generally have a similar protein content to protein exchanges, so they also can often be counted "either way."

In one of my reference books, beans can be counted either as starches, proteins or split half/half. Some programs may make the choice for you, but that doesn't mean that when using a recipe from a different plan you have to worry about it. It won't "undo" the balance or the weight loss effects, if you count the recipe as it was calculated by the recipe writer (unless the exchanges are significantly different in calorie count, such as in the DASH diet where 1 protein exchange is equivalent to 3 protein exchanges in most other plans).

In the scheme of things it's not a big deal whether you count three pieces of bacon as three fats or as one protein and two fats. Or 1/2 cup of cottage cheese as a dairy or as a protein. Your weight loss and your nutrition isn't going to be impacted by a difference in categorization (because these are foods that could legitimately fit in one or more categories, and the calorie counts are quite similar).

Counting egg whites as milk doesn't make sense to me at all, because while they both contain proteins, egg whites don't contain much calcium. Which is what I had always believed the dairy exchange was designed for, as a calcium delivery exchange. It doesn't concern me though, that some plans would count it that way - I just wouldn't (because getting enough calcium is often a problem for me. I take a supplement, but I still try to get a decent amount from foods, and I can easily neglect the dairy group if I'm not trying to include it).

I actually often count a 3 oz can of sardines as 2 protein and 1 dairy, because I eat the bones (and thus the calcium content is about the same as a glass of milk). However, if I've already used my dairy for the day, I count the sardines as 3 protein, or as 2 protein and 1 fat.

My Exchanges for All Occasions books, shows a way to determine/calculate exchanges for foods that you know the nutritional breakdown for, but don't have the recipe, and may not even have the ingredient list (such as frozen entrees). It's "art" as much as science. Sometimes there are several possible breakdowns (and it's not a big deal, as long as you're "in the ballpark" especially calorie wise).

Just like point and calorie counting, and most other plans as well, you can get caught up in the details, analyzing them to death and distraction. Make your best guess, and move on.

Me Too
09-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Thanks kaplods, I love reading your posts, i learn from you. This time I will not get caught up on details and then talk myself out of doing it. I wil use cottage cheese as a protein since dairy is my favorite one saved for yogurt and a glass of milk with dinner.
I get to hung up on doing a diet PERFECT, and when I can't i just quit. I forget I can start my food plan over any time of the day and just continue form there.

Bootsie
09-11-2009, 10:02 AM
It is nice to have different choices in the exchange as I said and was so surprised when I joined there are so many ways in the exchange diet, when i thought there was only one way. It is so wonderful to have a choice. Yes Kaplod I was surprised at having egg whites counted toward dairy also. In fact there was some conversing on that also.

I found on perfect body toning this:
1 large egg white can contain up to 3 g of protein, 2 mg of calcium, 4 mg of phosphorus, 45 mg of potassium, 55 mg of sodium and the tinniest bit of riboflavin.

So I guess that is where they got we could use it for meat or Milk in our diet.
I was surprised but loved it for if I was lacking in Milk I could count it there.

I love sardines too Kaplod but never thought of counting them as a calcium, thanks for that info , that does make sense , more sense than egg whites does to me, thanks. I often lack in calcium and any way I can get some in is great. Do you count it as all one milk or have protein and so much milk ? Don't quite understand...sorry sometimes you have to take a hammer to my head to understand something, that other people understand instantly. Also do you or anyone else, know of other foods that contain calcium that I can use in the milk area?

kaplods
09-11-2009, 11:17 AM
...Kaplods, meant to thank you for the link to the blog...

Your welcome. Hopefully, I eventually will be able to review some of the books. I did add a review of a WW cookbook I just bought for a $1 in a thrift store. It's not a flashy book (most of the recipes don't have pictures), but there are quite a few recipes I'm intending to try.

I love sardines too Kaplod but never thought of counting them as a calcium, thanks for that info... Do you count it as all one milk or have protein and so much milk ?..

for a standard 3.74 ounce can of sardines (drained) that were canned in water or any non-oil ingredient (mustard, hot sauce, tomato sauce, water...)

I count them as any of these

2 protein and 1 dairy
3 protein
2 protein and 1 fat

If the sardines were canned in oil (I almost never buy these), I drain the sardines as best I can and count an extra fat.

canadianwoman
09-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Bootsie......a 1/4 block (2.9 ounces) of tofu contains a lot of calcium

Calories 117 (491 kJ)
% Daily Value 1
Total Fat 7g 11%
Sat. Fat 1g 5%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 11mg 0%
Total Carbs. 3.5g 1%
Dietary Fiber 1.9g 7%
Protein 12.8g
Calcium 553.2mg
Potassium 192mg

from CalorieKing

Bootsie
09-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks C.Woman , I have never tried tofu, and where would you find it in the grocery store, I shop mainly at Walmart and HEB. What is your favorite dish that you prepare it with? Reason I ask is, sometimes I buy new products but don't really have the best recipe and I end up not liking it, and don't try it again. I don't want to do that in this case because; just look at the high content of calcium, potassium in it ! Might be good for cramps in my legs and low in calories. If you can give me your favorite dish I can look up the recipe on the internet in google. That way you won't have to type it all out for me. Then Monday when I go to town get some and try it.
Thanks Kalop between you and C.woman I should have no problem keeping my calcium filled, also help my bones who the Doctor said is not in such good shape.

canadianwoman
09-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks C.Woman , I have never tried tofu, and where would you find it in the grocery store, I shop mainly at Walmart and HEB. What is your favorite dish that you prepare it with? Reason I ask is, sometimes I buy new products but don't really have the best recipe and I end up not liking it, and don't try it again. I don't want to do that in this case because; just look at the high content of calcium, potassium in it ! Might be good for cramps in my legs and low in calories. If you can give me your favorite dish I can look up the recipe on the internet in google. That way you won't have to type it all out for me. Then Monday when I go to town get some and try it.
Thanks Kalop between you and C.woman I should have no problem keeping my calcium filled, also help my bones who the Doctor said is not in such good shape.

At my regular grocery store, I find the tofu where the fruits and veggies are but some stores have it in thier dairy cases. It just depends on the store. I have no idea what HEB is but I have seen it in the refrigerated section at Walmart.

I don't have any particular recipe but I add the firm tofu to stir frys, homemade soups and chili because it takes on the flavour of the other foods it is prepared with. I even put it in beef bourginon once and no one noticed it was in there. :) (I am sneaky like that. LOL!)

The soft, silken tofu can be added to smoothies. Good for a quick breakfast when you are practically dashing out the door and are pressed for time in the mornings. I drank a lot of those when I was taking computer classes and pressed for time in the mornings.

Here is a link you can read. It was where I started with tofu.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tofu

Calcium (plus vitamin D), magnesium and pottasium will help you get rid of the cramps in your legs. I get them all the time and have to take supplements. When my magnesium is especially low I get leg and foot cramps very badly at night when trying to sleep. They hurt!!

Bootsie
09-12-2009, 12:49 AM
Thanks Cwoman, I think I am going to see if I can find the silken tofu for I make a lot of fruit smoothies.

Bootsie
09-12-2009, 10:39 AM
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk313/NitaAnn_2008/HappySaturday.gif

It is raining here! What a blessing! Just passing through brother is suppose to come stay with me this weekend . He does not like it when i get on the computer, so if you don't hear from me that's why.
Everyone have a wonderful weekend!

Me Too
09-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Quick question
What would a can of Campbells Tomato soup be as an exchange?
I made with milk so i know a dairy, was thinking it may be a veggie.
thanks,
I hope you all don't mind once in a while asking about exchanges but sometimes I'm not just sure.
anyway i love taking about exchange recipes and ideas.

Amarillo19
09-13-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm new to this site, but not to dieting. I've been on almost every diet only to gain back more than I've lost. (Sound familiar?) After much research I've decided an exchange plan is the best for me, and I had done it in the past with WW.
I have a couple of JoAnna Lund's books and have ordered Exchanges For All Occasions. I'm hoping to finally succeed in taking off the weight and keeping it off. I need all the help I can get.

---Ann

kaplods
09-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Quick question
What would a can of Campbells Tomato soup be as an exchange?
I made with milk so i know a dairy, was thinking it may be a veggie.
thanks,
I hope you all don't mind once in a while asking about exchanges but sometimes I'm not just sure.
anyway i love taking about exchange recipes and ideas.

For the entire can, made with skim milk, it would be 1.25 milk exchanges, and 2.5 bread/starch exchanges.

On the hillbillyhousewife website,

1/2 cup condensed tomato soup, 1-cup prepared
with water

is categorized as 1 "other carbohydrate" exchange (used to replace or "count" as a bread/starch exchange).

This is her description of other carbohydrate exchanges

Other Carbohydrates
The main purpose of this exchange group is to give
your diet greater flexibility. Other carbohydrates are
usually made up of sugar. Each exchange in this
group must be used to replace a Bread/Starch exchange.
Foods in this group are not as nutritious as
the Bread/Starch exchanges they replace. For this
reason I recommend you limit yourself to one per
day. Remember, you must omit one of your
Bread/Starch exchanges, whenever you use the
Other Carbohydrate exchange

I have seen plans which also use the "other" category that allow you to substitute for either a fruit exchange or a bread/starch exchange.

Me Too
09-13-2009, 08:14 PM
I never would have guessed it was a starch window, who would have thunk!! thanks kaplos.

Welcome Ann, glad to see you here, yes I too think the best way to stick with a healthy lifestyle is the exchange diet. I am using Richard Simmons Foodmover to help me keep track of my exchanges and I also have TOPS book, there is so much help and support here you will make friends quickly.

Bootsie
09-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Hi girls having computer trouble, hope it cures up soon. Hi Ann welcome! It let me on this morning but sooooo slow! Amps are 21.6 ABPS today, hope it clears up! It has let me post so far. If I am not here its because I can't get here. Lost 3 pounds this last week!

Alana in Canada
09-15-2009, 05:59 PM
I've been doing a bit of research into vegetarian exchange plans. I found an article from Vegetarian Times, April 1989 on Google books.

Here's a link to the article:
http://books.google.ca/books?id=iAcAAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_v2_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false

There are three calorie levels: 1200, 1500 and 1800 and a Vegan (no dairy or eggs) and vegetarian plan (includes dairy and eggs).

There is a "typical day" eating plan included --as well as a bunch of exchange lists.

Downside to the thing is that you can't copy it--or print it. (At least I haven't figured out how!)

But it is still useful nonetheless, as I haven't found too many vegan and vegetarian exchange plans out there!

I've been thinking a lot about incorporating vegetarian meals into my plan--and since I found this, it might be the thing to include the exchanges close to my calorie plan (so that would be the 1500 one) two days a week or something--rather than try and "squeeze" the starches into *my* plan--even just for one meal.

I'd think that would be very do-able--just plan two vegetarian "days" a week, to start.

Bootsie
09-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Alana love your picture! Just passing through.

Me Too
09-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Bumping up for October.

kaplods
10-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Woo, the move is over! We're in our new apartment now, and even have the essentials unpacked - everything else can be done a bit at a time.

The new apartment is beautiful, and much more functional than our old place.

I packed up all of my dieting and exercise gear - scale, food journals, everything the day before the move, and spent five days completely off plan. Didn't even try to count or keep track, and my weight is up about 8 lbs. It could be all water weight, or I may have regained because I wasn't being careful. I'll give myself until next Monday to get all of the weight back off before changing my ticker (that's the deal I usually give myself, because I figure that if it's real weight 8 lbs is not coming off in 7 days, and if it's just water weight, I'll drive myself nuts, if I change my ticker at every fluctuation).

To top off the excitement, our computer died on Wednesday (the day before the move). Because our computer is also our phone, we could really do without one, so we had to go out and buy a new computer. Luckily, the movers charged about 150 dollars less than we had anticipated, so we were able to afford the cheapest compulter Walmart had (an emachine for $248 with no monitor - but our monitor was fine so that worked out).

So, back to the drawing board, so to speak. A fresh start.

Alana in Canada
10-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Kaplods--so good to see you again!

I was just wondering last night if everything was OK.

Glad you are hooked up to us again!

Me Too
10-07-2009, 06:03 PM
We are all back together again. I was on vacation the past week, and ate everything in site. So its back to eating healthy.
Afraid to weight myself.

kaplods
10-07-2009, 08:05 PM
It feels really good to be on plan again. The scale is coming down quickly, so I may not have to change my ticker on Monday, after all.

The new apartment is awesome. It was hard to tell how much space we really have in the new place until we got all of our stuff in the apartment, and a good part of the unpacking done. It's awesome.

Our old place was under 800 square feet, and was laid out poorly with a lot of wasted space (it was built in the 60's), and very little storage (the kitchen and bathroom were especially tiny and poorly laid out). Our new place is nearly 1200 square feet, with a very open layout and just incredible storage space. A walk in kitchen pantry, a very deep coat closet, two large closets off the kitchen and living room, and two long bedroom closets.

I've been really wanting a Wii, and in the new apartment, there will be plenty of space. I never thought I'd be so happy to wash clothes, but I've not been able to do the laundry in a couple years, because I can't do stairs very well, and the laundry room was in the basement. The handrail wasn't safe and I really hated hubby doing the laundry, because his knees are only marginally better than mine. Having our own washer and dryer is awesome. I did about five loads the first day (I'm embarassed to admit it, but we moved dirty laundry - I also washed comforters and blankets that were a bit overdue - the washer and dryer capacities are larger than average, so there's plenty of room to wash even a king-sized comforter).

We really had to streeeeetch the budget to move, and the rent is significantly higher, so the budget is going to be much tighter, but it's just so wonderful to be in an apartment that is more functional, especially for cooking.

I even made a big batch of my tvp/ground beef mix. I was irritated that I couldn't find the tvp in bulk bins, so I paid nearly twice the price I usually pay - but it was still cheaper than hamburger. Once we get settled, we're going to take a day trip to Madison to visit Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, and maybe one of the asian markets, there.

So, so excited.

Alana in Canada
10-07-2009, 11:07 PM
That sounds wonderful Kaplods! I hear you about the knees. Laundry is a challenge for me too. (Ours is in the basement of our house.)

Just be careful about what you bring into your new place! It is ASTONISHING how quickly you can clutter up all that lovely space! (I'm reading Peter Walsh right now...so you have some idea that I unfortunately have experience in this regard!)

This may sound silly, too, but take pictures of your new space--every room--every corner. I find it interesting to look back over the years at how things have changed---

kaplods
10-07-2009, 11:50 PM
Good idea. We're already working on undoing the bad habits we had at the last apartment regarding clutter. We've vowed that nothing comes in the apartment, without something of equal volume going out.

We're also working on chore lists to make housecleaning and tidying a lot easier. It's a lot easier to keep a house tidy than to clean it once it's gone "to the dark side."

Bootsie
09-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Had to search for this thread, are there any still on the exchange program? I hope so!

kaplods
09-13-2010, 09:59 PM
I'm still using exchanges. I'm also going to be rejoining TOPS as soon as I can afford the yearly and first month's local dues. I have to postpone it a couple weeks more than I wanted to - until I find out how much I'm going to owe the dentist (I have an appontment early tomorrow to assess the damages. I have at least two teeth that are giving me a lot of trouble). I just hope the teeth can be saved, because it will take months to save for crowns, implants, a bridge or partial dentures, and they missing teeth in a very visible location.

Bootsie
09-14-2010, 12:06 AM
Hi Kaplods! So glad your still with it! I know we don't really like going to a dentist but just like taking a bath we gotta do it ever once in awhile. Bills stink but especially right now for just about everyone I know, including me. I fell 5 feet out the back door, forgot the steps was not there so far that fall has cost me 700 dollars in doctor bills and they still have not all came in. I am doing better but my hip is still not up to par but i still working with my animals. They say teeth have a-lot to do with peoples health , so that is really important. It looks like you have done really good on exchanges,:cheer3:

It seems no one is posting here anymore are they posting somewhere else for exchanges? I have gone back to exchange for it is so much easier than any other diet I been on, and I have been on a-lot. I best hit the bed, tired and gotta work in hubbies place tomorrow , be praying for everything to go all right for you tomorrow. Bootsie

kaplods
09-14-2010, 03:47 PM
I actually am one of the weirdos who doesn't mind going to the dentist at all, in fact I kind of like it. Something about being in the dentist's chair totally relaxes me and I sometimes even have a hard time staying awake (I must be crazy, because I know most people have the opposite reaction). I think it was my childhood dentist, he was so nice and had such a calm, low voice it was almost hypnotic.

I've not exactly been worried about the bills, I'm worried about finding an oral surgeon who will work out a payment plan. Being on medicare we have no dental insurance whatsoever, and while our dentist will work out a payment plan, the local oral surgeons aren't as flexible. If you do not have insurance, you pretty much have to put it on a credit card (which we don't have enough available credit to do) or pay cash up front. One or two will accept a payment plan, but they'll only divide it into three or four payments, but no more (and with oral surgery often running into the thousands of dollars, we can't complete payment in three months and so we can't make an appointment until we have all of the cash up front, or at least 80% of it).

But, thankfully, as it turns out it was not as bad as I feared. The dentist feels the infected molar is actually causing the pain in the other teeth (I was afraid that several would need pulling). Ideally we'd do a root canal on it, but because the tooth is cracked, she feels that a root canal only has about a 50% chance of success, maybe less. She told us that if we had the money to take the risk, it would probably be worth the attempt, but she didn't recommend that because of our financial situation. Pulling it makes more sense.

Another bonus, in the four teeth that were hurting badly, the one that needs pulling is the furthest back in the mouth, right behind a gap I already have from an almost identical dental situation we had about a year and a half ago (a tooth needing a root canal being pulled instead). The money we were saving to get a false tooth, will now be spent on the extraction, and we'll be saving for two false teeth. The gap shouldn't be more noticeable than it is already - which is very noticeable when I laugh, but otherwise I can hide it by smiling with closed lips and being careful of how much I open my mouth when I talk.

Not the greatest news, but much, much better than I was expecting.

Bootsie
09-14-2010, 06:45 PM
I don't know I think it is pretty good news. Look at all you thought was going to have to have done. My brother in law had to have his front teeth pulled, dentist said they were dead, so he pulled them. I think he looks so cute when he laughs!

kaplods
09-14-2010, 11:35 PM
It really is good news, but I can't help but be a bit disappointed. Hubby and I were planning on visiting my family in Illinois for my mother and nephews birthday (later this month the same day, 9/27), but the dental work expense means we can't make the trip.

They're all very understanding, and it can't be helped, but I am a bit bummed, I was really looking forward to the trip. But even with that, it could be much worse, so I'm thankful for most of it, and just a bit sad at the unfortunate aspect. We try to spend every other Christmas with my family in IL, and every other year with hubby's family in WI. This year is my family's turn, so even though we won't see them this month, we should be able to visit around Christmas (barring blizzard or more dental work), so all-in-all it's working out.
If the dental work had been what I was fearing it would be, we would have had to cancel the Christmas visit too - so in the end, it's far more good news than bad.

Oh, and the TOPS group went great. The TOPS group scale is about two to three pounds off from my scale at home, but it works out perfectly. My naked weight at home is the same as my clothed weight there, so I don't have to do any mental "translation" of the club weight in comparison to my scale at home.

I picked this group because of all the contests they run. They do a mystery auction once a month (everyone brings in an item, and wraps it, including a card with a hint as to what the item is. Then people bid on the items based only on the hints).

The monthly auction proceeds fund the other contests, the annual Christmas party, and a yearly donation to charity.

I wanted a group that did contests, because I find them motivating, but this group does so many, it's kind of confusing, but there are many opportunities to win small cash prizes. One that I thought was cute, and a bit unusual is that the person who wins "best loser" for each quarter gets a "shower" where everyone in the group brings a gift ($2 value maximum) for the best loser. Also, for every month that you lose at least a quarter (or half, I don't remember which) pound, your monthly dues are waived for that month.

This should help me light a fire under my butt. I find the games and contests motivating. They run contests for KOPS too (TOPS members who have reached their goal weight - "keeping off pounds sensibly).

Every week they also do a little challenge. This weeks challenge is daily exercise. If you participate, you owe a dime for every day you do not do at least some form of exercise. At a theoretical 70 cents, this is the most "expensive" challenge on the rotating list (last week's was a dime if you did not eat two servings of beans this last week).

Seems like a fun group.