General chatter - Who wears shoes in the house?

View Full Version : Who wears shoes in the house?

Kofarq
05-30-2009, 03:51 PM
I live in Canada, in Newfoundland, and I have also lived in Alberta, and spent time in other provinces. I have never known anyone to wear shoes in their homes under any circumstances. Even if there is a party in the summer, people leave their shoes by the door and go and get them, carry them through the house, and put them back on to go on the balcony or into the back yard. Unless someone is dashing inside for something very quickly with clean shoes on, it's a socks-only country. I do understand it is common in Japan to change into sandals inside.

The reason I'm asking is, on TV, everyone seems to wear shoes in the house. Where do you live, and do you wear shoes in the house?

Beautiful Ace
05-30-2009, 04:09 PM
I noticed that they always have shoes on in shows, even when they're on the bed sometimes. It might have something to do with it being a set and maybe things could get on the floor? Or possibly they just don't want to waste any time having the actors/actresses taking their shoes off or putting them back on, which would waste time, so that the show makes sense (one minute they have shoes on, one minute they dont?)

Also I noticed they NEVER say bye when hanging up the phone.

CountingDown
05-30-2009, 04:32 PM
We always wear shoes in the house.

I vowed a LONG time ago that I would not make my family take off their shoes to roam the house. Floors and carpets can be cleaned. I often pad around in my slippers or stocking feet if I haven't been outside yet, but once I've been outside, my shoes don't usually come off until bedtime.

Winter boots on the other hand, come off at the door. I HATE walking through wet snow and iceballs!

And, I wish I could teach the dog to wipe his paws before he tromps across the floor - particularly after he has been swimming in the pond :yes:

It always surprises me when people come over and take off their shoes when the come into the house. I always take my cue from my host/hostess when I visit anyone. If they are shoeless, I take mine off. If they are not, I ask if I should. Very, very few people say yes.

Sunrose
05-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Yeah, here in the USA most people wear shoes in the house. I've only known of a few families who do not wear shoes in the house. In my house, I do not wear shoes because I think it's really gross and dirty! Unfortunately, I have also run into people who have the attitude that if you ask people to take off their shoes when they come to your house, you are some kind of snob or something. So when people come over, I don't ask them to take them off, but they usually do because they see me doing it. I don't worry too much about it, though.

ronni62
05-30-2009, 04:40 PM
We frequently wear shoes in the house just for simplicity-we have no convenient place to put shoes just inside any of the doors, so we have to take them off somewhere else anyway or always be tripping over a pile of shoes. Also, we are always running outside to one of the garages or the garden and it's annoying to have to stop to put on the shoes all the time. Now, the kids take theirs off just for that very reason-if we have to wait for them to put on their shoes to take the trash out, we might just go ahead and do it instead of asking them to do it:lol:

But, like CountingDown, no snow boots ever on the floors or carpets-they have to take them downstairs immediately!

Rosinante
05-30-2009, 05:09 PM
I've never considered not wearing shoes. Happy to do so in anyone's house who wants me to. The pavements I walk on aren't gross so my shoes aren't. Never soggy boots though.

bacilli
05-30-2009, 05:10 PM
DH wears shoes in the house, leftover from when he was a kid and his house had no central heat. He hates cold feet, and wears socks almost every minute of every day. I've never even seen him wear sandals in the 15 years I've known him.

I, on the other hand, cannot stand shoes. Well, I love them, to own them, shop for them, and look at them ... but I don't like them actually on my feet. I grumble about having to wear them outside and to work, so I'm barefoot in the house, always. My shoes are off as soon as the door is shut behind me.

kiramira
05-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Ick! Shoes in the HOUSE!!!! How much dog poo have you accidentally stepped in, then tracked into your house!!! Or goober on the sidewalk!! Or chewing gum!!!! Ick!
I too have lived throughout Canada, and I have never, ever worn my outdoor shoes inside unless it was to, say, dash in to get something quickly. I keep two pairs of Crocs outside (one at the front, one at the back) for quick dashes to the garden for herbs or something...

My SIL-God-Love-Her will bring a second pair of shoes and change into them, because she likes her shoes to complete her outfit. Even if it is for a super-casual dinner...She even brought ME a pair of HER shoes to wear in MY HOUSE one time so that I could feel "complete" in my outfit...God love her...
Kira

Operator265
05-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Heck, my family hardly wears clothes in the house. Good thing we"re all girls. It"s bras and panties most of the time.

zenor77
05-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Sometimes I wear shoes, sometimes I don't. We have hardwood floors, so tracking in stuff isn't too much of an issue.

luvja
05-30-2009, 06:48 PM
I too am Canadian, and we don't wear shoes in the house. I remember visiting my old friend in Buffalo, New York. I walked into her house and took my shoes off, and everyone looked at me like I was weird or something, I'm like...What?...they asked me why I was taking my shoes off? I'm like ummm...because you're suppose to? :lol:
I think wearing shoes inside is rude.

murphmitch
05-30-2009, 06:48 PM
I leave my shoes on. Curiously, my kids all take theirs off at the door. Needless to say, I have a huge pile of shoes at my back door (all my daughters). We did used to take them off religiously when we first moved into our new house. I have mostly hardwood floors too.

Lissus
05-30-2009, 06:53 PM
I hate shoes. I feel more comfortable in bare feet. I kick mine off ASAP

bargoo
05-30-2009, 07:06 PM
I don't wear shoes in the house and I know many who don't. I don't ask people to remove their shoes but I don't wear them , when I go to someone else's home I do what they do. I read an article a short while ago explaining there would be less illness if we all did not wear shoes in the house. I think of where my shoes have walked and do not care to bring it in the house.

lizziep
05-30-2009, 07:29 PM
if i owned my own house i am sure i'd care more about it- for stains on the carpet etc. we wear our shoes in the house. well- my husband does. i hate shoes and mine come off asap most of the time.

zoritsa
05-30-2009, 07:50 PM
When I had carpet,we all took our shoes off.We now have laminate,and now I don't mind so much because it's so easy to clean the floors up.

lointhecity
05-30-2009, 09:35 PM
I do!! i like wearing shoees!

zenor77
05-30-2009, 09:44 PM
I've been thinking about this more. Lately I've been wearing flip flops in the house because DH has broken a lot of stuff in the kitchen lately (he has dish duty.) No matter how many times we sweep and mop, we are still finding little shards of glass. So, right now at least, I've been wearing shoes in doors to keep from injuring myself.

I used to take them off as soon as I got home.

I have a question though for people who don't wear shoes in the house, where do you keep our shoes? There is no way we could keep them outside here in New Mexico. Black widows would move in.

ciecie
05-30-2009, 09:55 PM
i live in western new york state. i wear shoes or slippers in the house.

Glory87
05-31-2009, 12:21 AM
This started a huge, multi page debate on another forum I read. I have no thoughts one way or the other about wearing shoes in the house. I don't find it particularly gross, but I do tend to kick my shoes when I get home. I will walk through the house to the bedroom to kick them off in the closet, I don't care if the shoes are worn on the floor, I just prefer to take them off for comfort.

After reading that other thread on the other board, well, it was very interesting how many people really really cared about no shoes in their house (something I had never thought of for one second before reading that thread).

I would never dream of asking anyone to take shoes off in my house since I just don't care. I consider shoes part of being dressed to leave the house and would feel uncomfortable taking off my shoes at a non family member's house. I would do it, but would feel pretty weird about it - particularly for a party if I had planned lovely shoes to go with an outfit. I have a weird issue with wet fabric and the thought of stepping in a puddle in my socks - well, ew. (I realize this is one of those odd personal weirdnesses, like the way I can't stand the way that paperbags feel).

There are also people like my dear stepfather who died in November who just don't have a choice. He lost part of his calf in Vietnam and wore a brace on his lower leg every day. This brace fit onto his shoe (it attached). At home, he always wore his brace with a very sturdy slipper. If he came to your house, I hope you won't ask him to remove his brace/shoe since it would have been painful and limited his mobility (of course, he's not with us anymore, so it's a non issue).

So to sum up, I kinda have a "okay, you're slightly weird" feeling about people who are overly exubertant about taking shoes off, to the point where they would ask dinner party guests to remove shoes. But, I would do it because I was raised to be a polite guest. I just think wow, stockings are expensive, running around in stocking feet at a party like a guarantee for a runner, there's 10.00+ bucks gone. Or, if it were a less fancy party, hoping I had nice socks on!

Someone in that other thread said they kept slippers for guests to wear, as someone that suffered through a three year bout of toenail fungus (it was awful - I couldn't show my big toe for a year, no sandals) that is a big NO FREAKING WAY would I ever wear a communal shoe!

My friend Carly is from Hawaii and was raised in a NO SHOES IN THE HOUSE family. She has a sign outside the door asking people to take their shoes off. There is a rack of shoes inside and outside her condo. One thing I really hate? The whole balance on one thing to wiggle out of a shoe or boot. Hopefully, the ideal "no shoes off" household would have a bench! I definitely take my shoes off at Carly's house without complaint, since it's a big deal to her. But it's always a casual/friend thing, never a party situation. I once watched her forget her keys away from the door right when we were about to leave (shoes on), get on her hands and knees and crawl through the living room to her keys. Just struck me as a little over the top!

Of course, it's really about where you live and how you were raised - I was raised in the South in a family that was a "shoes-on" family, so my worldview was shaped by my experiences!

mizski
05-31-2009, 01:37 AM
I take my outside shoes off when I come in & wear my house shoes (they're sandals really). DH likes slippers.

Besides dirt, there are a lot of contaminants on the bottoms of shoes that I don't want on my carpets. Bare feet also have a lot of bacteria, so we don't do that either.

However (and this probably makes no sense) I don't ask guests to remove their shoes nor do I remove mine when I visit someone unless it is their custom (haven't run into that yet).

Ookpik
05-31-2009, 02:12 AM
I also live in Canada, same province as you, Kofarq (Labrador, not too far away!) and I wear sandals in the house. I used to live with my father who is 87 and diabetic. He is in a nursing home now, but before going there he spent most of his time alone, giving himself his own medications, etc., until he couldn't anymore. Anyway, I'd sometimes come home to find used, uncovered insulin needles on the floor, so I got into the habit of wearing sandals in case I stepped on one. I am still in the habit. I don't wear my work shoes or sneakers in the house, though...I change to sandals as soon as I get in the door.

I haven't lived in many other places, only St. John's, Newfoundland, and Fredericton, New Brunswick, and I always removed my shoes upon entering the house there too.

babes315
05-31-2009, 03:05 AM
I was raised in Rochester, NY, and we always took our shoes off as soon as we got in the door. It's dirty outside! I wouldn't want to track all that dirt, let also germs all over my house. I now have my own house in New Mexico and we put in new carpet in 6 months ago, and I get annoyed if people don't take off their shoes, they all know it is brand new carpet! I don't mind if people keep there shoes on if they stay on the tiled area, which is the entryway and the kitchen, but otherwise, take a hint, look at the shoe rack and the nice comfy stool, both conveniently located next to the door, and sit down and take off your shoes!

helwa588
05-31-2009, 08:05 AM
i can't stand wearing shoes in the house. i love shoes. but i just feel uncomfortable and awkward wearing shoes in the house. i don't even like wearing socks in the house.

Tracy
05-31-2009, 10:12 AM
I hate shoes.I never wear shoes or socks in the house.In the summer I never even wear them outside in my yard .When my mother:eek: comes over,she thinks it is obscene that I answer the door w/no shoes on.

Blackie
05-31-2009, 11:16 AM
I have always gone barefooted as much as possible. I have been know to dash out in the winter to get firewood without shoes on. The only time I wear shoes inside is when my feet are cold (slippers), my plantar fasciitis is acting up (Crocs or Fit Flops) or if I am having a non casual visitor. The bringing dirt in thing doesn't bother me too much except in the bathrooms.

ciecie
05-31-2009, 11:36 AM
i used to take my shoes off in the house until i got hurt.

janellody
05-31-2009, 01:24 PM
I've always grown up wearing shoes in the house. I have occasionally run into people throughout my life who want us to take our shoes off but they say since most people I know in the USA wear shoes in the house..

ciecie
05-31-2009, 02:31 PM
when i was growing up, we used to take our shoes off in the house. that changed when i got hurt.

Sheena41
05-31-2009, 02:42 PM
I can't stand shoes on in the house, but my husband frequently wears his. The kids are usually barefoot like me. I live in the south now, but I have lived in Northern IL. In the winter I do wear socks and slippers to keep my feet warm.

Skinnycow
05-31-2009, 02:43 PM
We've always worn shoes in our house (unless they were muddy or something), but I know a lot of families that always take their shoes off.

saef
05-31-2009, 03:06 PM
When I started having problems with my feet & had orthotics made, I stopped going barefoot in the house. Most of the year, I wear a pair of espadrilles with Superfeet inserts. (It helps that they are cute. They came from a Claire Murray shop on Martha's Vineyard & they are blue & white toile print. I wish I'd bought two pair while I could.)

CLCSC145
05-31-2009, 04:33 PM
It would seem hypocritical of me to insist on no shoes in my house considering the two 75 pound dogs I have running in and out all day tracking in dirt and debris and lord knows what else. Whether I wear shoes or not, there is "outside" on the inside of my house. Being in CA, it rarely rains and everything is paved so there isn't muck and mud to be tracked in. And I don't have carpet, so a quick vacuum, which happens daily to keep up with the dog hair, works wonders.

That said, my neighborhood has many Asian families and you regularly see piles of shoes on the front porch. I would take my shoes off if someone asked me to asI think it's polite to follow your host's rules.

FrouFrou
05-31-2009, 04:53 PM
I grew up running around barefooted...hated wearing shoes-but we wore shoes in the house. But in my old age...I always wear some sort of shoe...usually walking or running shoes but sometimes flip flops. Once in a while I will wear my socks but that is rare. We don't take our shoes off at the door though and I would never ask my guests too. And I don't step in poo or gum..if I have my shoes have been cleaned way before getting to the house or in my car...seriously, I watch where I walk.

Shopaholic1204
05-31-2009, 05:05 PM
We take our shoes off, cuz after walking in shoes all day..its just nice to relax the feet. We dont really leave them by the door or anything. Just take them off and move them to the side of wherever. I do wear slippers though. Because we have cats..and sometimes they just eat too fast and barf in random areas..it sucks to step in cat puke.

I dont ask guests to take off their shoes. If they wanna take off their shoes, then thats totally cool. If they dont, then thats cool too. I dont really care. We do have a doormat outside of the front and back doors. So if we or anyone coming over step in something icky, or walked in water..they can just wipe their feet.

If we go over to someone's house and they ask us to take off our shoes..then we will. It's cool with me. I like being barefoot. And I wear cute socks..so its nice to show them off, lol.

Although..I do find it weird when people leave their shoes outside. I would be really afraid that someone going to steal my shoes, lol. Anyone remember that episode of Sex and the City..when Carrie took off her expensive shoes inside these people's house, and they ended up getting stolen. LOL!!

ciecie
05-31-2009, 05:12 PM
have to agree. it's polite to go by the rules of the house.

Thighs Be Gone
05-31-2009, 05:25 PM
We have a shoe storage rack as you walk in the from the garage. My whole family knows it would be their DEATH if they came in the house with shoes on! If we invite company I always make sure there are a couple of pairs @ the front door. Rarely do I have anyone that doesn't take them off as they enter.

biosci02
05-31-2009, 05:36 PM
I don't wear shoes in my apartment and I always ask my guests to remove them as well. It's never been a problem. Even workmen/women who come to the house (cable, repair, etc.) will take their shoes off...

sfj
05-31-2009, 05:46 PM
Shoes usually come off in the family room. We have a huge pile that seems to accumulate there. I hate wearing shoes. If I can get away with not wearing them outside I do.

Wolf Goddess
05-31-2009, 06:20 PM
I hate walking in anything aside from shoes. Not to mention, with the amount I cook I'd be terrified of dropping a knife or heavy pot right on my toes.

valpal23
05-31-2009, 06:33 PM
I live in Canada, in Newfoundland, and I have also lived in Alberta, and spent time in other provinces. I have never known anyone to wear shoes in their homes under any circumstances. Even if there is a party in the summer, people leave their shoes by the door and go and get them, carry them through the house, and put them back on to go on the balcony or into the back yard. Unless someone is dashing inside for something very quickly with clean shoes on, it's a socks-only country. I do understand it is common in Japan to change into sandals inside.

The reason I'm asking is, on TV, everyone seems to wear shoes in the house. Where do you live, and do you wear shoes in the house?

I live in manitoba.. but was in vancouver bc for a couple years and the whole shoe thing really bothered me when I was visiting friends in oregon for the first time... NO ONE ever took their shoes off at the door.. they wore their shoes all over the house and I felt so rude walking around people's living rooms with my dirty shoes.
I just figured it was a cultural difference between Canadians/Americans. *shrug*

amyleigh
05-31-2009, 06:52 PM
we don't have a rule about shoes in our house but we're pretty much a barefoot family. sometimes we wear them, but not frequently. my bf, however wears his shoes all the time. they have hardwood floors in their whole house, and they all look at me funny when i take off my shoes. it's not unusual for them to put their feet up on the furniture or on the bed with shoes on. that's just odd to me.

EZMONEY
05-31-2009, 08:11 PM
Heck, my family hardly wears clothes in the house. Good thing we"re all girls. It"s bras and panties most of the time.

Please PM me your address.

Grew up in a shoe wearing house, although mom didn't appreciate it when we wore our cleats in the house :mad:

My house has always been a shoe wearing house although we did take them off after we got new carpet about 6 years ago.....then we got 2 golden retriever puppies....dirt diggers...no sense in taking them off after that ;)

Angie enters the house kicking off her shoes and taking off her bra w/o removing her top....

Doesn't bother me one bit ;)

Chelby29
05-31-2009, 10:32 PM
I have one friend who's husband insists everyone leave shoes at the door. He also mops his basement every weekend. We all think he's crazy.

We wear shoes in my house. If you asked me not to wear them in yours, I would gladly oblige, and hope my feet smell sweet. :)

kiramira
05-31-2009, 10:39 PM
Toss up, isn't it, between sweaty foot smell and dog poo on the bottom of a shoe being smooshed into the fibers of your new carpet...
:barf:
Kira

EZMONEY
05-31-2009, 11:04 PM
We have had our share of dog poo....mud....little kids not making it to the bathroom in time when they are sick....blood from those boo-boos....a plate of food or two....even a few beers and an entire cup of coffee from me last week.

I appreciate it if people want a no shoe house that's fine for them and I am sure important, I respect that opinion. We all have different views.

In my house we consider a little dog poo small stuff....we don't sweat the small stuff.

nelie
06-01-2009, 11:08 AM
I've never considered wearing shoes in the house. Shoes come off at the door. If someone is visiting, they can do whatever since they are visiting but I think it is more comfortable to take shoes off.

Oh and I also have a pair of exercise shoes that I only use inside the house because I think its important to wear shoes while exercising.

As for dogs, if our dogs get muddy/dirty while being walked/playing, they get a quick sponge bath at the door. Also if its raining, we'll dry them off at the door.

mayness
06-01-2009, 11:21 AM
I was raised in Rochester, NY, and we always took our shoes off as soon as we got in the door.

I also grew up in Rochester, and never met anyone who kept their shoes on at home... I only knew they existed because of TV/movies. I don't care if people want to wear shoes in my apartment, especially since I sometimes wear them in other people's homes.

I can't imagine walking around my own house with shoes on. If I have to wear shoes for more than 10 hours or so I go crazy, lol. I hate wearing shoes at home as much as I hate wearing bras, panties, jeans, or jewelry at home... I know people do it, but I don't know how they don't go insane. Anything that digs or scratches or pokes or doesn't stretch comes off as soon as I'm home for the day.

Oh and I also have a pair of exercise shoes that I only use inside the house because I think its important to wear shoes while exercising.

I do the same.. I NEED them for things like step aerobics, but I also use them for most other types of exercise, since it seems to help prevent foot pain for me.

srmb60
06-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Do any of you remember cushioned vinyl floor covering? As children, we knew that flooring was more important than we were.

In my own home? As long as they are not wet or dirty, I don't care. Floors wash.

My family all wears socks in cooler weather and goes barefoot in the summer. If I'm busy doing housework or exercising, I wear my runners. I only wear my runners in the house or on the sidewalk. I have gardening shoes too.

Is it flylady who recommends putting shoes on right away in the morning to keep you motivated to keep moving.

Devsmama
06-01-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm from Kentucky, so I NEVER wear shoes...lmao!

TJFitnessDiva
06-01-2009, 01:37 PM
I don't wear shoes in the house....heck I hate wearing shoes period ;)

CLCSC145
06-01-2009, 01:52 PM
This reminds me of a very funny friend who was house-sitting for an extended period of time including watching the owner's dogs. The house rules were that all shoes had to come off at the door. Coincidentally, the dogs often refused to do their business outside, but in the eye's of the homeowner, could do no wrong.

Finding these two things conflicting and frustrating, my friend would welcome guests by saying, "Please take your shoes off, but feel free to $h!t wherever you want!"

Mayhem
06-01-2009, 01:53 PM
I live in California in america, and I wear shoes in my house! Most families do. I have a middle eastern friend, and whenever I go over her house, she asks me to take off my shoes. The rug we step on is also where they pray at. Their praying consists of getting on their knees, with their arms spread on the floor over their head. (bad description) so, they dont want to be on dirty carpet when they pray. I believe its more of a religious factor.

techwife
06-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Another Rochester NYer here. I guess because my parents were children that grew up on a farm, my grampa and uncles were always tracking mud in from the farm so that my gramma's kitchen floor was more like the barn floor. We wore shoes to keep our socks clean. :lol3: I was at my cousin's, though, and his wife was like "Shoes OFF at the door!!" I'm like, mingya, wtf? She was a neat freak and I couldn't wait to get out of the house for fear I might make something askew. I remember her showing me the house and looking behind me feeling guilty for leaving footprints (clean ones - like in the sand) on her newly vacuumed carpet.

Now, I have an old english sheepdog that tracks in as much dirt as my grampa/uncles...so I still wear my shoes in the house to keep my socks clean. LOL

JulieJ08
06-01-2009, 02:10 PM
it's not unusual for them to put their feet up on the furniture or on the bed with shoes on. that's just odd to me.

What's really odd is people who do that in other people's houses!

I didn't grow up with any notion that we're supposed to take off our shoes in the house, but I like it. I like leaving that dirt outside.

sportmom
06-01-2009, 02:31 PM
If you ever sit on blacktop or have kids who do when they chalk, you'll SEE why you don't want to wear your shoes inside. I had a pair of bright green crocks and watch their soles turn black just from wearing them outside. You can't see all the dirt if your soles are already black, but look at some non black shoes and see how gross they get, and that's what you're bringing inside. And even if you have hardwoods, little pebbles can get wedged into your soles and you scrape them on the wood when you walk.

I grew up wearing shoes inside but once I got my own home and cared about the skeeve factor, all shoes off at the door! And repairmen are issued little surgical booties that if you ask they will put on to enter your home (I don't really want workmen walking around in their socks in my home!)

Cebsme
06-01-2009, 02:58 PM
I hate wearing shoes. You have to twist my arm to get me to wear them out of the house let alone in the house. In the house the only time I wear shoes is on the treadmill.

As far as other peoples houses, I follow their wishes. When we get our new flooring installed I will request people take off their shoes in my house. I think its appropriate to follow the wishes of whomevers house you are in, its their home.

nelie
06-01-2009, 03:06 PM
I live in California in america, and I wear shoes in my house! Most families do. I have a middle eastern friend, and whenever I go over her house, she asks me to take off my shoes. The rug we step on is also where they pray at. Their praying consists of getting on their knees, with their arms spread on the floor over their head. (bad description) so, they dont want to be on dirty carpet when they pray. I believe its more of a religious factor.

That's funny because I grew up in CA and would say most families remove shoes in the house.

ANOther
06-01-2009, 05:12 PM
For me, it's 99.5% of the time shoes off in the house, the exceptions being when I'm exercising or if we pick up company, bring them home and expect to go out then it's just easier to keep them on, or sometimes if I get home late I won't bother changing footwear until after I eat. We mainly go in the back way and it doesn't take long for a visible track to appear on our light-colored carpeting. Around the house, my mom needs shoes or sturdy-soled mocs for a little more foot support, but I can get off with fleece sox with gripper soles in the cooler months, and Crocs during the summer or if I have to go down to the basement

shantroy
06-01-2009, 05:13 PM
An other Canadian here. I've lived in Vancouver, London Ont, and Calgary and have lots of family in Saskatchewan. I take my shoes off at the door. I'll wear my shoes if I'm darting in to grab something, but other than that off they come. My bf is the same way. I'm in a 3 story townhouse and my bf will take his shoes off at the front door, carry them up stairs and put them by the patio door so he can go out and BBQ. Growing up my parent's house was the hangout house and there would usually be 15 to 20 pairs of shoes cluttering up the front door way.

I often have to tell my friends don't worry about your shoes we'll just be a minute if we're running into the house for something. Everyone looks at my like I have 3 heads and says "Are you sure!?!"

The only exception to the no shoe rule is if it's a nice party. I'll wear shoes in the house for Xmas dinner or a cocktail party that kind of thing.

abielle
06-01-2009, 05:53 PM
We (boyfriend and I) take our shoes off before walking around the house. We have hardwood floors and I don't like the way they look when we get those streaks on them because of shoes. Also, since we live in a large city, I think helps to keep the house cleaner in general. If I must wear something on my feet while in the house, I wear flip flops or socks.

SioGold
06-02-2009, 10:49 AM
I used to have bare feet all the time in the house, and had really thick callouses on my feet as well, hacks in the summer etc. This past year I've been wearing slippers or shoes in the house all the time, and my feet have never been so soft! It's great!

murphmitch
06-02-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm just curioius, but for those of you who don't wear shoes in your house due to hygeine concerns, do you have pets that go out for pottying and whatever? What do you do to keep your floors clean after they "go" outside? They obviously track some of that stuff inside. I have two puppies and it's hard keeping my floor clean without them tracking in, especially after rain.

nelie
06-02-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm just curioius, but for those of you who don't wear shoes in your house due to hygeine concerns, do you have pets that go out for pottying and whatever? What do you do to keep your floors clean after they "go" outside? They obviously track some of that stuff inside. I have two puppies and it's hard keeping my floor clean without them tracking in, especially after rain.

Murph,

My dog's get stopped at the door and cleaned off. Depending on how dirty they are, it may be with just a towel or cleaning wipes. At our backdoor, where the pups go out freely to potty, we have a plastic mat at the door. I'll also lay a towel on the floor and they will go to it and wait to be cleaned off.

Sunrose
06-02-2009, 03:53 PM
That's funny because I grew up in CA and would say most families remove shoes in the house.

nelie, I'm curious where you grew up in California? I've lived here my whole life (34 years) and have only run into about two other families who take their shoes off in the house. We didn't take our shoes off in the house when I was growing up, but my hubby and I do now.

Sunrose
06-02-2009, 03:55 PM
I used to have bare feet all the time in the house, and had really thick callouses on my feet as well, hacks in the summer etc. This past year I've been wearing slippers or shoes in the house all the time, and my feet have never been so soft! It's great!

I don't like my feet to get dirty, so I always wear fluffy socks in the house, and use lots of lotion. :D

LandonsBaby
06-02-2009, 04:04 PM
I always wear shoes even in my own home. I never go without. I'll wear my regular shoes, flip flops, crocs or sometimes slippers. My mom says that even as a toddler, I always wanted to wear shoes. I loath carpet so we have hard wood and ceramic tile. We do have carpet in the living room but it's only there to protect the hard wood underneath until we refinish it. It's just old dirty carpet, no need to remove your shoes. I don't feel comfortable without shoes around others. My husbands aunt and uncle never wear shoes in their house and everyone takes them off...but me. I keep mine on. She can't get over it. She's got hardwood in her new house anyway! I would never ask a guest to remove their shoes. I think it's rude.

Tracy
06-02-2009, 04:14 PM
i keep doggie wipes by the door,and always wipe my dog's paws off,when he comes in.

JuliaDH
06-02-2009, 05:25 PM
We for the most part are bare footed. During the summer I keep baby wipes by the door so when we take off our flip flops we wash the grim off our feet. I get that floors and carpets can be cleaned. But for me its the furniture and pillows. Not so cleanable with many materials. Yuck would you flop out of the couch and wipe your feet everywhere? Then the next day flop out on the other end and put your face where your so someone elses dirty feet have been? We have a dog too who gets his paws wiped down!

I also have many pair of slippers and inside running shoes. I agree with FlyLady that you get more done with shoes on. But really for those of us who love our shoes. Having an inside pair and outside pair will give us more shopping opportunites!

Check out what some have to say
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Consumer/story?id=5177409&page=1

nelie
06-02-2009, 05:32 PM
nelie, I'm curious where you grew up in Cali? I've lived here my whole life (34 years) and have only run into about two other families who take their shoes off in the house. We didn't take our shoes off in the house when I was growing up, but my hubby and I do now.

I'm from the San Diego area but lived in parts of Orange county and Los Angeles for brief periods of time.

borntobefine
06-08-2009, 10:45 PM
In my house shoes worn outside cannot be worn inside so we wear slippers in the house and change shoes at the door.

cheercoach0101
06-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Since i was little, i got into the habit of taking shoes off at the door coz my mum always made me so i usually take them off as soon as i walk through the door.

Strangely enough though, i hate wearing shoes but i also realy really hate toes/feet so my time is spent in socks when im walking around the house.

cheercoach0101
06-08-2009, 11:05 PM
im in england btw and grew up in southern africa

Sassy_Chick
06-09-2009, 01:09 AM
DH and I both take our shoes off, but its just personal preference. I don't make my guests take off their shoes, but they usually do when seeing us do it.

I do have Crocs that I only wear inside, cuz my feet get cold and plus like someone else pointed out, we have a cat too, who pukes randomly on the floor and cold cat puke is the worst to step in! lol.

My inlaws are both disabled and my mil wears a brace and my fil wears special shoes, so no I don't ask them to take their shoes off.

I think some people have different ideas and thats great, I don't have to live at their houses and they don't have to live at mine. lol.

:hug:

econ nerd
06-09-2009, 02:53 PM
I grew up in Manitoba and have also lived in Ontario before moving to Maine. We always wore no shoes in the house. Mom wears sandals, my Dad wears slippers and I am happy to be in my bare feet (or socks when it is cold). Hubby also goes for no shoes inside and wears slippers. Guests to my place can wear or take off their shoes - I don't mind. For me it is also a comfort thing - my feet get warm and bare foot feels so much better. We have hardwood or tile through out and no pets. I also get rid of the bra without taking my top off :D very shortly after the shoes get kicked off at the door. We have a long entry hallway and all of our shoes are lined up on either side.

MindiV
06-09-2009, 03:16 PM
We don't have any set rule, really. I tend to take mine off when I come in, unless I'm going to be going back out in a short time. Or when I'm cooking...I ALWAYS wear a pair of shoes with closed toes when I'm cooking in case I drop something on my foot, like hot water/sauce or a knife, etc.

My husband gets filthy at work and tends to just walk in wearing his boots. He refuses to see that HE'S the one making the carpet grimy, even though the stains are in the places he walks (front door to kitchen to couch, where he takes them off).

I guess with us it's more along the lines of HOW dirty our shoes are...I don't consider normal, every-day wear to be horribly dirty (I work in an office)...

thinpossible
06-12-2009, 12:20 PM
In my house, I never wear my shoes, but that's because I like to go barefoot, not to preserve the carpet. My son and husband always wear their shoes and my daughters wear them sometimes/ sometimes not.