Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'1"

Talking For Morning exercisers...

What time do you wake up to workout? How much time do you allot for working out? I want to try getting up in the morning and doing this. Life interferes a lot in the evenings, and I end up only working out maybe 2-3 days per week. I want to work out before everything else takes over my day. HOWEVER, I am not a morning person. I will lay in bed til the very last minute to get ready for work, so I am trying to figure out how much time is reasonable to allow for working out. I only wanted to do 1/2 hour a day, but I don't think I can especially since many of my videos are 45 mins to an hour. I know many of you get up at 5 or so, I only would have to get up at 6:45, and I can't seem to motivate myself to say I will do that. Ugh....Any suggestions or thoughts to help motivate me? I guess I just need to kick myself and tell me if I really want to lose the weight, I will do it. I just hate mornings, but late nights at work, company dinners, evening activities, and just being plain tired at night gets in my way... HELP?
Ursula745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #2  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

So, my opinion is, morning person or not, how badly do you want to do it? I really have no time in the evenings to exercise, except for the bellydancing class I do, so it HAS to be in the morning. It's REALLY important to me. So much so that I get up at... wait for it...

anywhere between 4.30 and 4.45 to do so. I'm doing the C25K program right now, so I need 5 min to get dressed and 30 min to work out. When I do my exercise DVD I need a bit more time (40 min work out). I leave my house at 6.30am to go to work so I have to start getting ready (shower, dress, drink coffee, etc.) at 5.30 - 5.40. I prepare all my daily food the evening before. It's the only way possible right now and it's extremely important so I just do it.
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #3  
No description available.

When your alarm goes off, get up. Don't press snooze, don't lay there and argue with yourself for a few more minutes. Get up immediately. It is far less painful.

I don't do videos so I can't name any, but surely there are some 30 minute videos? If there are only 45 minute videos available, get up 15 minutes sooner. Surly 15 minutes is worth your goal, right? It gets easier.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

Can you start going to bed a little earlier, so that you become more of a "morning person"?
jajabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #5  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

Sometimes I sleep in my sports bra!!! I find now that I am running I have more time- because I just walk out the front door. If I want to exercise 45 min then I have to leave myself an hour and 20 min. It takes me about 15 min to get out the door- dressed, vitamins and a drink, shoes on. Then a quick 45 min dress for work, grab a protein drink and go. I really prefer to exercise in the morning I can be so drained in the evening and the kids have sports.....
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 6

Just do it. Don't think about it. I get up at 6:00 and workout for 45 mins. I never hit snooze. I have my workout clothes ready for me in the bathroom, so I just get right up, change, and start working out. It's so nice to not have to think about working out all day. It's already done by the time I get to work! It's soooo worth getting up for!
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'1"

Thanks all! I know. Just do it. Yes, I can go to bed early, yes I can not hit snooze, yes i can prepare the night before. I can do all that. I want to be a priority for me, so I want to take care of me first thing during the say. I'm proud of you all for getting up so early. I hope I can stick to it. I will try all the suggestions. Thank you!
Ursula745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:17 PM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Yup have the tape in the VCR ( or DVD) have everything ready to go.

Not that I do any of that. But I have now been getting up for morning exercise pretty much every day for 4 1/2 years. I CANT sleep in even when I want to. I'm up at 5 most days, although annoyingly I keep waking up before my alarm. I usually work out anywhere from 60-90 minutes, except Wednesdays and Sundays when I usually go longer.

The last time I had to readjust to waking up early I remember just sitting in the chair looking at my workout stuff for a couple days. I was up at least. The 3rd day I actually worked out.

If you can find a workout buddy that also helps.

Last edited by ennay; 05-30-2009 at 10:18 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:55 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

I didn't think I was a morning person either. Then I decided morning was only time to work out. I actually started by wearing my workout outfit to bed so I wouldn't have to deal with it in the morning. I get up at 5:20 am every morning. Gym opens at 5:30 am. THe YMCA is in my building. I'm in the gym at 5:30 and work out until 6:20. Then shower, breakfast, and off to work.

I keep my workouts at a fairly high intensity so that at the end of the 40-50 minutes I am exhausted.

As others said, just get up and don't press snooze. After awhile it becomes part of you life. Like going to the bathroom when the need arises. When the alarm rings, you just get up and go.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:24 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

When I had my gym membership I was up anywhere from 4:15 am to 4:30 am and even though I hated waking up that early I felt it was worth it. I would give myself an hour for travel and gym time.

I am up around 6 am anyways and as of this past Friday I am off of work for the summer so that I can be home for my kids and help my husband with his business so I am pretty free on the times I exercise. This morning I was up and out the door for a 1.5 mile walk/jog which took me about 23 mins total. I really want to work on that time btw lol
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #11  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I set my alarm for 3:50 am. I'm out the door by 4:15 am, drive to work, and hit the gym by 5 am. By 6:30, I'm done, showered, dressed and at my desk. To accomplish this, I have to pack and prep everything the night before, so all I have to do is get up, dress in my workout gear and go. Even on the weekends -- I do my long run at the beach with a group, and we usually meet at either 5 or 5:30 am (and it's a half hour drive away). I do sleep in a little on Saturday -- sometimes until 5 am!

You can re-set your time clock with a little effort and time. You'll get used to going to bed and getting up earlier.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:43 AM   #12  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBN View Post
I set my alarm for 3:50 am. I'm out the door by 4:15 am, drive to work, and hit the gym by 5 am. By 6:30, I'm done, showered, dressed and at my desk. To accomplish this, I have to pack and prep everything the night before, so all I have to do is get up, dress in my workout gear and go. Even on the weekends -- I do my long run at the beach with a group, and we usually meet at either 5 or 5:30 am (and it's a half hour drive away). I do sleep in a little on Saturday -- sometimes until 5 am!

You can re-set your time clock with a little effort and time. You'll get used to going to bed and getting up earlier.

WOW. This is amazing! I wish there was a "I'm not worthy" smilie a la Wayne's World. THIS is exactly what I strive for. That's is just so important and ingrained in me that the time I have to get up doesn't matter.

I will always remember that you do this the next time I feel grumpy getting up at 4.30. THANK YOU for posting this!!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 264.2/189/150

Height: 5'8"

I'm lucky: I have an early-rising baby, so not getting out of bed isn't an option for me! We're usually up between 6 and 730. After we each eat breakfast, I do a workout DVD, then we go for a walk with the jogging stroller.
cincimom11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #14  

when i want to loose extreme pounds on the stomach i do this 20 time every day (its very hard) lay flat (no hands under head) pickup feet slowly all the way (without bending it) then down slowly but dont rest it even for 1 sec repeat it 20 times. you might not be able to laugh for the firs few days till you get used to it. it really makes stomach muscles charlie horse.
lowandfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #15  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I get up at 6am and go for a run on my treadmill (3 miles) before my kids get up...depending how late they sleep I might do free weights or a dvd but those I can usually fit in when they are all up.

For me it's just something I had to do to fit in my exercise. I do sleep in on the weekends
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote