Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-29-2009, 02:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/174/120

Height: 5'0

Default Does anyone weight themselves every day?

I do...and I know it's not a good thing. I have lots 4 pounds since I've started my diet. It's been almost 2 weeks. My weight has stayed the same for about a week. Until yesterday. I was 1.5 lbs heavier. Why? I didn't change my eating. Then today, I was down 1.5 lbs...so I'm back at 4 pounds lost.
Nigelswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:26 PM   #2  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

NO! Daily fluctuations as a result of hormonal fluctuations, salt intake, dehydration and water intake, exercise, sleep, are NORMAL. So if you weigh yourself daily, you'll drive yourself crazy with these fluctuation. A trend is what you need to see, so graphing weekly weights will let you see overall trends, which is the most important thing with respect to long term weight loss success...
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 365/345/half-marathon

Height: 5'5"

I do, but I am VERY aware of the fluctuations of my body so I take those into account. I just feel like a week is too long to wait for me to know if what I'm doing is keeping me on track. I may be up 2 pounds tomorrowand I won't get too worried about it - but if I'm still up 3 days later I may make me some adjustments.
Inconceivable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #4  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Yes, I weigh every day, and weighing every day is a habit of successful long-term maintainers -- but it can drive you crazy during the loss process.

Personally, I find stepping on the scale every day motivational and a nice reality to check to whatever noise happens to be playing in my mind.
I weigh every day, but for tracking purposes I track my Monday morning weight.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

I agree that weighing daily can make you crazy because of all of the fluctuations due to water weight but if you just weigh once a week then you risk weighing on a day that you're up and being depressed all week. One point in time does not really give you the whole picture. I kind of think it might be better to weigh everyday and then take an average of the last few days. People who weigh daily have an easier time maintaining, too, because knowing you have to get on the scale helps keep you accountable to your eating plan and gives you a chance to make adjustments if you're gaining.

Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelswife View Post
I do...and I know it's not a good thing. I have lots 4 pounds since I've started my diet. It's been almost 2 weeks. My weight has stayed the same for about a week. Until yesterday. I was 1.5 lbs heavier. Why? I didn't change my eating. Then today, I was down 1.5 lbs...so I'm back at 4 pounds lost.
I weigh every day *because* it makes it easier to handle the fluctuations, at least for me. I mean, with your case - to me there's a difference between a small but consistent increase in weight each day for a week vs a sudden bump up on one day. But with only a weekly weight, you won't know the difference. But, everyone is different. You have to do what saves your sanity, whichever way that is.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #7  
ZeusMeatball

S/C/G: 534/309/275

Height: 6'4''

I weigh myself every day and have done so for just about the entire time since I started on this path to weight loss, so 196 pounds lost worth of stepping on that scale daily lol.

I find that its an easy way to gauge my progress during the week and not once have I got on and said "hmm I am down so I will take it easy today and maybe have that cake" BUT I can say that more than one time I have stepped on and NOT seen a drop or seen that I was up slightly (yes I know normal fluctuation) and said "Ok buckle down time" and worked a bit harder that day, so I see nothing negative from doing it daily, in fact I see a positive from it and it is only a 15 second process so why not? YMMV

As Ever
Me
Botzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #8  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

I do because I'm tracking everything from weight to what I ate the day before, to whether I had enough water or not, to exercise, to how many points I ate the day before - it's all for the knowledge what works and what doesn't. My weigh-in ONLY counts on Tuesdays at WW (I track what my weight is as home vs. the WW scale too!) and Sundays (which is my ticker and my S/C/G here at 3FC) on my WW online program.

If you CAN deal with the fluctuations, great. If you let a mechanical object tell you how to feel that day/week, then it might not be a good idea...
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #9  
Gaining Attitude

S/C/G: 205 / 193 / 145

Height: 5'5

I started by weighing every day but then discovered it became an addiction - and it started controlling my moods. If I lost I was euphoric. But if I didn't lose two or three days in a row or saw a gain I was in a horrible mood all day. So now I personally just do it once a week. If I don't lose (like last week) it is a little depressing, and I wonder if maybe I had too much salt the night before (LOL!) but the mood doesn't seem to be in control of how I feel the rest of the week. I can go ahead and enjoy life "normally". Yeah, that means I let EVERYTHING ELSE control how I FEEL!

But I've also made a lifestyle commitment so I don't need the motivation of the scale to stick to plan. I find I really like how proud I am of myself for not "cheating", for being good to myself - and of course how I am feeling in my slowly reducing body!! I LOVE CLOTHES!

Just my two cents for whatever it is worth!
bobblefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #10  
No description available.

Daily weighing is a tool, and a successful one for long term maintainers (yea, Jo!). Nothing wrong with it unless it messes with your mind. Like Julie, daily weighing helps me see how my body responds to certain foods, hydration, exercise, etc. If it drives you crazy, choose another schedule, of course!

Last edited by midwife; 05-29-2009 at 03:06 PM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

I weigh every morning because I like to have as much info as possible about what effects all these changes to my habits are having, but I also expect fluctuations and don't worry about them. Like the above posters said, I only worry about it if the "fluctuation" last several days, or seems to be an upward trend.
jajabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #12  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I weigh daily, and record it. I rarely even bother thinking about the number as it's up/down/whatever. I go by weekly, and actually am more interested in the monthly losses.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #13  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I used to but it drove me insane- now I do once a week.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 217/179.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I do, every morning, when I first get home and before I go to bed. I don't let the fluctuations bother me and my official weigh in is Sunday at WW until next week which will be my last WW date. I have pretty much started counting calories and will weigh at home and think I am going to go with Friday morning. I'm gone a lot over the weekend so Sunday really won't work going forward.
melwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:04 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

Height: 5'6"

I do, but it is just to see how weight can fluctuate over the course of a day. I officially weight in only once a week though.

Last edited by utgirl09; 05-29-2009 at 04:05 PM.
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote