Weight Loss Support - Does anyone weight themselves every day?

Nigelswife
05-29-2009, 03:22 PM
I do...and I know it's not a good thing. I have lots 4 pounds since I've started my diet. It's been almost 2 weeks. My weight has stayed the same for about a week. Until yesterday. I was 1.5 lbs heavier. Why? I didn't change my eating. Then today, I was down 1.5 lbs...so I'm back at 4 pounds lost.

kiramira
05-29-2009, 03:26 PM
NO! Daily fluctuations as a result of hormonal fluctuations, salt intake, dehydration and water intake, exercise, sleep, are NORMAL. So if you weigh yourself daily, you'll drive yourself crazy with these fluctuation. A trend is what you need to see, so graphing weekly weights will let you see overall trends, which is the most important thing with respect to long term weight loss success...
Kira

Inconceivable
05-29-2009, 03:34 PM
I do, but I am VERY aware of the fluctuations of my body so I take those into account. I just feel like a week is too long to wait for me to know if what I'm doing is keeping me on track. I may be up 2 pounds tomorrowand I won't get too worried about it - but if I'm still up 3 days later I may make me some adjustments.

Mrs Snark
05-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Yes, I weigh every day, and weighing every day is a habit of successful long-term maintainers -- but it can drive you crazy during the loss process.

Personally, I find stepping on the scale every day motivational and a nice reality to check to whatever noise happens to be playing in my mind.
I weigh every day, but for tracking purposes I track my Monday morning weight.

MileHighMama
05-29-2009, 03:43 PM
I agree that weighing daily can make you crazy because of all of the fluctuations due to water weight but if you just weigh once a week then you risk weighing on a day that you're up and being depressed all week. One point in time does not really give you the whole picture. I kind of think it might be better to weigh everyday and then take an average of the last few days. People who weigh daily have an easier time maintaining, too, because knowing you have to get on the scale helps keep you accountable to your eating plan and gives you a chance to make adjustments if you're gaining.

Pam

JulieJ08
05-29-2009, 03:48 PM
I do...and I know it's not a good thing. I have lots 4 pounds since I've started my diet. It's been almost 2 weeks. My weight has stayed the same for about a week. Until yesterday. I was 1.5 lbs heavier. Why? I didn't change my eating. Then today, I was down 1.5 lbs...so I'm back at 4 pounds lost.

I weigh every day *because* it makes it easier to handle the fluctuations, at least for me. I mean, with your case - to me there's a difference between a small but consistent increase in weight each day for a week vs a sudden bump up on one day. But with only a weekly weight, you won't know the difference. But, everyone is different. You have to do what saves your sanity, whichever way that is.

Botzz
05-29-2009, 03:48 PM
I weigh myself every day and have done so for just about the entire time since I started on this path to weight loss, so 196 pounds lost worth of stepping on that scale daily lol.

I find that its an easy way to gauge my progress during the week and not once have I got on and said "hmm I am down so I will take it easy today and maybe have that cake" BUT I can say that more than one time I have stepped on and NOT seen a drop or seen that I was up slightly (yes I know normal fluctuation) and said "Ok buckle down time" and worked a bit harder that day, so I see nothing negative from doing it daily, in fact I see a positive from it and it is only a 15 second process so why not? YMMV

As Ever
Me

PinkyPie
05-29-2009, 03:55 PM
I do because I'm tracking everything from weight to what I ate the day before, to whether I had enough water or not, to exercise, to how many points I ate the day before - it's all for the knowledge what works and what doesn't. My weigh-in ONLY counts on Tuesdays at WW (I track what my weight is as home vs. the WW scale too!) and Sundays (which is my ticker and my S/C/G here at 3FC) on my WW online program.

If you CAN deal with the fluctuations, great. If you let a mechanical object tell you how to feel that day/week, then it might not be a good idea...

bobblefrog
05-29-2009, 04:02 PM
I started by weighing every day but then discovered it became an addiction - and it started controlling my moods. If I lost I was euphoric. But if I didn't lose two or three days in a row or saw a gain I was in a horrible mood all day. So now I personally just do it once a week. If I don't lose (like last week) it is a little depressing, and I wonder if maybe I had too much salt the night before (LOL!) but the mood doesn't seem to be in control of how I feel the rest of the week. I can go ahead and enjoy life "normally". Yeah, that means I let EVERYTHING ELSE control how I FEEL!
:rofl:

But I've also made a lifestyle commitment so I don't need the motivation of the scale to stick to plan. I find I really like how proud I am of myself for not "cheating", for being good to myself - and of course how I am feeling in my slowly reducing body!! I LOVE CLOTHES!

Just my two cents for whatever it is worth!

midwife
05-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Daily weighing is a tool, and a successful one for long term maintainers (yea, Jo!). Nothing wrong with it unless it messes with your mind. Like Julie, daily weighing helps me see how my body responds to certain foods, hydration, exercise, etc. If it drives you crazy, choose another schedule, of course!

jajabee
05-29-2009, 04:15 PM
I weigh every morning because I like to have as much info as possible about what effects all these changes to my habits are having, but I also expect fluctuations and don't worry about them. Like the above posters said, I only worry about it if the "fluctuation" last several days, or seems to be an upward trend.

RealCdn
05-29-2009, 04:16 PM
I weigh daily, and record it. I rarely even bother thinking about the number as it's up/down/whatever. I go by weekly, and actually am more interested in the monthly losses.

beerab
05-29-2009, 04:33 PM
I used to but it drove me insane- now I do once a week.

melwolfe
05-29-2009, 04:58 PM
I do, every morning, when I first get home and before I go to bed. I don't let the fluctuations bother me and my official weigh in is Sunday at WW until next week which will be my last WW date. I have pretty much started counting calories and will weigh at home and think I am going to go with Friday morning. I'm gone a lot over the weekend so Sunday really won't work going forward.

utgirl09
05-29-2009, 05:04 PM
I do, but it is just to see how weight can fluctuate over the course of a day. I officially weight in only once a week though.

mayness
05-29-2009, 05:04 PM
I weigh every day *because* it makes it easier to handle the fluctuations, at least for me. I mean, with your case - to me there's a difference between a small but consistent increase in weight each day for a week vs a sudden bump up on one day. But with only a weekly weight, you won't know the difference. But, everyone is different. You have to do what saves your sanity, whichever way that is.

Amen to that! If I weigh once a week, I'm all paranoid about it... did I just weigh on a "low day" or a "high day"? Can I really believe that weight? Did I eat more sodium than I thought I did yesterday? It drives me insane.

I track my weight on www.physicsdiet.com ... they graph your actual weight, a moving average, and an overall trend line. Sure, you could do it yourself in Excel or something, but I'm lazy. :) You can also track your daily calories eaten and calories burned through exercise, and it somehow matches things up for you, but I haven't tried that yet.

melwolfe
05-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Ohhh, a spreadsheet! I never thought of that..............hmm I might try it just because I can! Thanks Mayness!

the final countdown
05-29-2009, 05:29 PM
I have weighed everyday in the past when I was on a "crash" diet. It was exciting seeing the pounds go down. Now I just weigh once a week because I am not losing as fast and I don't want to frustrate myself. I was with a program in the past as well that had you weigh only every 6 weeks. That was torture, but it was great to see the big numbers when you did weigh.
The one thing I know is bad is when I don't weigh because that means I am not on program and I don't want to see proof. I think there are no scale on the Nile

cfmama
05-29-2009, 05:36 PM
I weigh daily and record and watch my trends. I tabulate weekly, monthly and then daily losses. One week I might have lost .6 lbs, the next 3.2, the next 5 and then the next 4.2... but if you average it's 13 a month and 3.25 a week which is what I expect.

It helps keep me accountable and sane ;)

Skinnycow
05-29-2009, 05:45 PM
I weigh myself every day, but only record it once a week. I know that weight is going to fluctuate and I don't freak out when it does. It does cause me to really pay attention to how much water I'm drinking. I tend to slack in my water consumption and seeing the numbers on the scale go up motivates me to drink more water.

bindersbee
05-29-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm like almost everyone else. I weigh daily- usually morning and night. I see about a 2 lb. fluctuation between my night weight (high) and my morning weight (lower).

I'd like to say that the fluctuations don't bother me at all but it's hard sometimes. Today I am up 2 lbs. from yesterday. I know why (water) but it's still hard to see the number go up because I had JUST broken into the next decade down on the scale. I'm sure it will be 'back' in a day or two- I've noticed I generally have to 'flirt' with the next number down for a few days (or longer) before it sticks solidly.

Still, I'd rather weigh more often so I can make adjustments. I'm drinking A LOT more water today and I chose a banana smoothie for breakfast in hopes of helping flush out the water weight in time for my 'official' weigh in on Monday. I only count my weight once a week in the official pounds lost thing.

cwalker3
05-29-2009, 07:45 PM
weight everyday is bad and you should stop doing it. You will drive yourself crazy doing that. If you are not seeing results from after a week or so, increase the intensity of your workout. Doing the same workout for a long time eventually loses it's effectiveness. I would weight no more than once a week.

galaxia2002
05-29-2009, 08:01 PM
i weigh in once everyday because it makes me face my fatness and motivates me to do something about it. When I weighed in once a week, I would cheat more because I knew it would be awhile before I saw the effect on the scale and I could probably work it off before then.

Weighing in every day gives me something to look forward to in the mornings, especially if I know I was good the day before. Being healthy and working out is not something I absolutely love (i LOVE greasy food and the couch lol), so any positive thoughts are a good thing. :)

amynbebes
05-29-2009, 08:01 PM
I do but am aware that there are fluctuations. I know after 5 months the trend that my weight loss follows throughout the week.

Windchime
05-29-2009, 10:05 PM
I agree that weighing daily can make you crazy because of all of the fluctuations due to water weight but if you just weigh once a week then you risk weighing on a day that you're up and being depressed all week.

Pam, this is *exactly* what happened to me a few times. The day I record my weight is Friday, and it would often happen that I would be down on Thursday, but UP on Friday...but that's the day I had to record it! Now I weigh daily, and I have an Excel spreadsheet (I'm a geek) that I record my daily weight on. I made a graph, even, because I find it extremely motivating to see the graph go down. There are lots of little blips in the upward direction, but the trend is DOWN and it's really helpful for me to see that. So an "up" doesn't really bug me anymore, because I know it will be followed by a "down".

On Fridays, I take whichever is lower--Friday's weight, or the weekly average. At first I feared that was cheating, but then I remembered--it's MY graph! I can do it however I wish! :)

Lots of people choose not to weigh every day, though, so just do what is right for you. I have to weigh daily to keep myself motivated and on track, but that may not be what works best for you.

Sheena41
05-29-2009, 10:22 PM
I weigh daily. I know it will fluctuate but I would hate it if I only weighed in once a week and it just happened to be a day it was higher. I pay more attention to my home scale than the one at WW for that reason. I can see the general trend on my scale and not get discouraged by a high weight at weigh in.

Ookpik
05-30-2009, 01:14 AM
I weigh daily as well, I take into account all the fluctuations and don't get upset by it.

It keeps me accountable. If it was, say, Tuesday, and my next weigh-in was the following Monday, I'd look at a piece of pizza and say, "well, I have 6 days to work it off". Wednesday, I'd look at KFC and say, "well, I have 4 days to work it off". Friday, I'd look at chocolate cake and say, "well, I have all weekend to work it off". Monday would roll around and I'd have a gain. I definitely think twice about what goes in my mouth when I have to account for it the next day, rather than the next week. But that's just me; everyone has their preferences.

gretchen1986
05-30-2009, 01:17 AM
I weigh every day because I'm horribly impatient. I'm trying my very best to change the weekly weighings!

PinkVS
05-30-2009, 02:00 AM
Not me I used to weigh myself alot back in my late teens and I was borderline to skinny.I would get way to obsessive.I go by how the clothes are fitting

Tracy
05-30-2009, 09:05 AM
I use to but it was BAD,BAD,BAD,for me. I guess because I am an obsessive person.I think that is 1 of
the reasons I gained so much.If it would fluctuate ,:fr:even though I knew it
was normal,I would be miserable all day.That would cause me to eat more. I find when I weight myself once a week,I do much better .And I stick to my plan more.

sws19
05-30-2009, 10:31 AM
i weigh sometimes a couple times per day. i know it's not ideal, but it does sorta help me to be a little bit more relaxed about fluctuations. i only record a change if i see that low weight reappear consistently over a couple of weeks (my weight loss has been very very slow). my weight can vary as much as 4 or 5 pounds so i think understanding that variation, even inside of a day, is helping me not lose my sh*t when i see that sort of gain.

Breannaj1215
05-30-2009, 03:29 PM
I did for the first couple days because it made me happy to see the weight loss now I dont because its going to slow down and I dont want to be discouraged. Your not the only one.