Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-29-2009, 11:08 AM   #1  
Ray of Sunshine

S/C/G: 243/241/140

Height: 5'4"

Default I think I need to set a mini goal

Hi folks,
I need to set a goal, I need something solid that I can works towards... and I need it written down. So here it is... my summer 2009 goal. I would like to be able to participate in a 5k road race in September. I HATE RUNNING...and you know why... cause I'm fat and a long time smoker. So here it is, this summer my healthy eating and exercise will be working towards a 5k milestone. And the smoking, I can't say I'm a quitter... I make it 5 days and then break down and smoke. If I'm going to run, smoking is not an option...not to mention it's a disgusting and awful habit. I'm getting closer to 30... it's time to give up the party habits of my 20s that got me where I am now and build a better healthier me.

Ultimately I would like to be under 200lbs by September. SO.. that is 45lbs within 4 months. If I work really hard I think I can get there. In addition to my complete lifestyle overhaul I'm also going to follow the C25K program to build up to running. I'm looking at road races that are near by to register for in the end of September. This is something that I dream of being able to do... If I can dream it I can do it.
YogaGal08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #2  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Of course you should make goals, but do you really want to make a goal to do something you have just confessed to hate? I hate running too, and I'm pretty sure I'll never run a race. However, I have no desire to run a race. Maybe you should consider making a goal to accomplish something you LOVE to do, but haven't been able to in a long time...I don't know, it just doesn't make sence to *me* to set yourself up to do something you hate.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:25 AM   #3  
Ray of Sunshine

It's not a matter of hating running, it's more that I hate that I can't do it and I want to be able to. Do I ever think I'll be a pro runner? No, absolutely not... but regularly I do a lot of trail hiking which I really enjoy and dream of being able to at least jog on the trails
Old 05-30-2009, 09:31 AM   #4  

DH and I quit smoking using Chantix. Normally I wouldn't advocate putting any drug into your body, but as a pack and a half a day smoker for 17 years, it's the ONLY thing that worked for me. We've been smoke free for 3 months now, and off of the Chantix for 6 weeks. I also didn't get the munchies like I did with every other stop smoking aid. I read all about the side effects of it, but fortunately neither of us experienced any of them. Might be worth a discussion with your doctor, mine was so happy I wanted to quit smoking he LITERALLY danced in the office.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #5  

I thought I hated running too, but I wanted to do it anyway because it was the quickest way I could think of to gain fitness improvement. I am now doing a C25K, am in week 6 and I love it!
I am using DJ Beatsmith's podcasts as my guide to get myself to the point where I can run 30 minutes without stopping.
That still isn't 5K because I am slower than molasses in January, but I will worry about speed and distance once I can do the 30 minutes.
By the way, I quit smoking (cold turkey) 2 years ago and am still kicking myself for not having started to watch my weight and getting into exercise right away - I ended up gaining 33 lbs. So don't do it the way I did it, but by all means DO IT!
GO FOR IT!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

C25k is a good program. I start week 3 tomorrow. I actually look forward to the running everyday now. In just the 2 weeks I have done it, my heart rate has dropped quite a bit when I am running. My body has started to get used to it. Use a c2k5 podcast, like Robert Ullrey's. He tells you when to run and when to walk. The only thing I don't like is he uses techno music, which I don't really care for.

Good luck quitting smoking!
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #7  

Congrats on quitting smoking! And, it is amazing that you are able to diet and quit at the same time. I was too weak to attempt that. It is going on 11 years quitting for me. And, yes, I did gain weight afterward. But, having almost a lifelong habit and being old--trust me on this!---I decided one thing at a time, and took the most important road of my two vices or habits, or whatever you call them. I have lost weight in the 11 years since, but regained and lost it a couple of times. It is called clinical depression which is now stabilized and almost absent. So, finally everything has fallen into place for me! I am now a happy and proud camper because I am finally accomplishing two lifetime goals, that, at my age, I am strong enough to maintain for the rest of my life.

I wish you continued success in continuing to be smoke-free and in reaching your weight loss goals. Don't be like I was, focus on your health and it will be a 'slam-dunk' for you. God bless and much success!
sunnywarmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #8  

Default Goal Setting

I think setting goals that you can realistically achieve is what you want to do. Of course, you don't want to set too easy goals; that would not make any real sense if you can achieve such goals hardly trying.
healthfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #9  
Ray of Sunshine

Thanks everyone. Today is officially day 3 no smoking cold turkey. I'm feeling pretty good. I FINALLY got to a Yoga class yesterday... lets just say it's been a very long time since I made it to a class and as good as it felt and as glad as I am that I made it through...today man I tell you I've woken up muscles that I forgot existed. I think being sore is definitely taking precedence over any withdrawals from smoking. I've decided that any time I feel like I want to smoke I have to take $8 and put it in a jar...cause that is what they cost for a pack where I live. Besides my health...my wallet can't handle that! No drugs for me to quit, cold turkey is where it is at...I try to avoid taking drugs of any kind and I don't have a doctor to supervise me. I know that sounds awful but I've never had a primary doctor and right now I'm on an estimated 6 month waiting list to get an appointment...there is a down side to mandatory health insurance.

Despite my exhaustion from yesterday...I need to keep pushing through today. The first week is always the hardest week. I'm starting the week 1 of C25K this evening... I think I will end up, at least at first doing 2 weeks of week one before moving on, I am that out of shape and want to make sure I build into it and don't hurt myself. I did not get out of bed on time to go work out this morning but will get 2 miles of walking in by the end of the day by not taking the T to the commuter rail and by having parked my car 1/2 a mile from the train at home (also saving me money). I'm looking forward to being through this first week of major discomfort and hopefully to some recognition on the scale...weekly weigh ins will start for me next Monday!