Old 05-28-2009, 04:01 AM   #1  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Red face And Still no-one notices!!!

Went to a meeting yesterday where people haven't seen me at all for 39lbs.
Still no-one noticed!!!!!

One woman, a really kind, blunt, salt of the earth woman, she is totally genuine and generous, she'd have said if she'd noticed, told me she'd lost 1stone 9lbs (23lbs) and I congratulated her warmly and genuinely.
She told me about a couple of others we both know who'd lost a stone, and half a stone. I congratulated them too.
So it wasn't like weightloss wasn't in the air - and Still she didn't notice! (nor did anyone else at the meeting).

Obviously there was no way I would say, you've lost 23, wow, I've lost 39, I'm not that mean - but I'm so going to frame the day someone notices!!!!!

(Yes, of course I'll keep going, keep up the plod, I'm just vain, vain, vain and want to know people can see a difference!)
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/ticker/160

Height: 5'1

It can be very discouraging when nobody notices your weight loss. I've been there before. I find I have to lose close to 50 lbs before ppl start to comment.

I think part of it is I've always been heavy...different levels of heavy but never thin. Second it's the way I dress. I prefer loose clothing and at work I typically wear a smock as part of my uniform which also helps to hide true shape.

I often wonder how much ppl really notice me at all. I tend to blend with the background in life. I know it sounds sad but trust me it's not and I find it quite useful at times...lol.

Just keep plodding along and one day they will all act shocked and wonder how you miraculously changed over night because they didn't take notice along the way !!! Perhaps for the next meeting wear something a little different in style that will draw attention and make ppl look then take notice if that makes sense.

jab91864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:05 AM   #3  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hang in there. Your day will come.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

Do you were the same clothes you did before you lost weight? Maybe your new figure is too hidden under them?
Also think about it, the other woman TOLD you she lost weight. Would you have said anything about her loss if she didn't?
Don't worry though, if you notice and you see yourself everyday, I'm SURE other people notice too.
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:20 AM   #5  
On my way to a new me!

S/C/G: 205/168/145

Height: 5'6 ~ 44

omg i know how you feel i've lost close to 30 and noone has said anything to me either.... it's discouraging but i'm not gonna stop because one day they will notice..... you've lost a lot of weight and that is awesome, hopefully you notice and that's enough to keep you pushing along!
Savora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:25 AM   #6  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Ailidh...OMG, have you lost weight? You look marvelous! Keep on keepin' on. You rock!!!
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:40 AM   #7  

Height: 5' 6

I have noticed lately that people bring up diets, and their exercise routines, etc around me lately. Then when I say "I've been following weight watchers" they say "I knew you'd lost weight". I think people are too afraid to just come out and say "hey, you look great, you've lost weight" so instead they'll tell you what they've lost or been doing for workouts. They want you to bring it up. I'm sure that's what the lady was doing to you.
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #8  

Oh my heck! Annie, you are too funny!

No one noticed for me either- until recently. Honestly though, I think my Mom must have mentioned it to a few people because THOSE people have noticed.

The funny thing is when someone DOES notice, it won't at all come from where you expect it. I rarely see the school lunch clerk at my kids school but last week I went in to pay the final tab for the year and she didn't recognize me because "you look so different". Really? So the lunch lady who never sees me notices but not people I know better?

Your moment will come soon and totally randomly, out of the blue as well!
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:45 AM   #9  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandiK View Post
I have noticed lately that people bring up diets, and their exercise routines, etc around me lately. Then when I say "I've been following weight watchers" they say "I knew you'd lost weight". I think people are too afraid to just come out and say "hey, you look great, you've lost weight" so instead they'll tell you what they've lost or been doing for workouts. They want you to bring it up. I'm sure that's what the lady was doing to you.
This actually happens to me too. It's kind of funny when it does, I can totally tell what the person wants and I usually indulge them by talking about it. It could be what this woman intended for you.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

I felt the same way at the Memorial Day cookout at my BIL's.

No one noticed.

My husband said maybe they did notice but didn't want to seem rude or critical by saying anything. (Therefor implying I needed to lose weight to begin with) Maybe that was it, but it still wasn't fun.
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:29 AM   #11  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

I bet people do notice, but usually don't say anything in case they are wrong.....like someone telling a woman with a round belly "When are you due?"...

Eventually, it will be undeniable...

Last edited by Jen415; 05-28-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #12  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Ailidh -- what are you wearing at times like these? Is it any kind of long robe or something that does not give your body a lot of shape?

I agree that even clothes that are too big can really blunt the affect of people noticing because you don't look as small as you are.

I've lost 23 pounds and I am working sporadically right now (love the recession!!) so there are people at work that only see me occasionally and I was told I looked good the other day (relaxed), but no one has mentioned my weight loss there. Only my mother and boyfriend have commented, but of course, they know what I'm doing.

For me, I figure people just don't notice the ups and downs on others like we do on ourselves. I'm not expecting any comments until maybe the 50 pound mark because I had so much to lose to start with.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:01 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

It's weird, but don't worry, I'm sure you are noticing the differences and everyone else will eventually. I lost 35 lbs. before anyone noticed. Then at one point I kind of plateaued and only lost 5 lbs over 2 months, and at the end of that 2 months all of a sudden everyone was noticing and asking how much more I had lost. I think it's not necessarily how much you've lost, but how your body is moving things around, if you know what I mean. Keep working, soon everyone will be noticing at how great you look.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #14  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

It'll happen eventually... I'm with you. I haven't had anyone notice either yet but that's ok. It'll happen eventually.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:15 AM   #15  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I know it is frustrating, but I agree with everyone else. I think that people are afraid to mention something about weight. It can be such a sensitive subject.

I'm not as far along as you, but I have only had people say something who already know I'm trying to lose. I'm looking forward to hearing from others, too. I think it might take awhile.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote