Weight Loss Support - Body Image: Why are you losing weight? An interesting book to read.

kelly315
05-27-2009, 08:51 PM
So I've been reading this book:

Grogan, Sarah. Body Image Understanding Body Dissatisfaction in Men, Women
and Children. New York: Routledge, 1998.

And it's really fascinating, and I think a lot of us could learn from it. It's all about body image and culture, and (partly) why Americans feel the need to be skinny.

One of the figures it gives is from a 1994 study done by Drs. Brownell and Rodin, who found (at the time) that
25% of diets of obese people lead to successful, long-term weight loss, while
5% of diets of non-obese people lead to successful, long-term weight loss.

Non-obese includes all the people in the "overweight" or "normal" bmi categories. Why? Apparently, it's because of the reasons for dieting. Obese people tend to establish better support systems for themselves (in part) because they are dieting for health, while non-obese people tend to diet for aesthetic reasons rather than health reasons (and have a weaker support system).

So thanks to everyone at 3FC for being part of my strong support system!:hug:

Anyway, this has me wondering- what is your reason for losing the weight.
PICK ONE, even if it's both. Is it MORE about how you look, or about your health?

cfmama
05-27-2009, 09:01 PM
To a certain extent both... but mostly (about 80%) for my health. I need to reduce risk factors that can cause my blood clotting disorder to kill me and weight is the biggie!

I'd like to read that book I think.

kelly315
05-27-2009, 09:09 PM
I guess I never answered, so here goes. I want to say health, and it is largely health, but at this point appearances are getting the best of me.
When I was heavier, it was about 90% health. Now, beauty has a bigger piece (probably 40% beauty, 60% health on my worst days).

Windchime
05-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Beauty is my main reason. I've been alone for a long time and I want to feel attractive to the opposite sex. The more I lose, though, the healthier and stronger I feel so it really is a win-win.

Daimere
05-27-2009, 09:42 PM
I'd say to be fit and look good. Health is another issue. I used to worry about diabetes all the time. Percentage wise: 60% fitness, looking good 20% and health 20%.

Glory87
05-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Aren't more people dieting because more people in the US are obese? I did not diet because of society's pressure to be thin, I lost weight because at 200 lbs, I could no longer tell myself I was a "big girl" who "carried weight well" - I was fat. After losing 4 grandparents much too early, I also wanted to reduce my risk of cancer/disease - health was an important concern to me.

Qualera
05-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Right now I am trying to lose weight solely for health reasons. I am sure as I get healthier I will start thinking of other things. Beauty is appealing to me, and sure I want to look better, but it isn't why I'm doing this. Watching both my diabetic parents wreck themselves is what is motivating me to lose weight. I don't want to end up the same. I am insulin resistant right now.

Alana in Canada
05-27-2009, 10:05 PM
Thanks for that. I've requested a copy from the library.

Can my answer be "none of the above"?

Right now my motivation to lose weight is to stop hurting! My knees, feet and back...ugh. As well, I don't think I've ever been this uncomfortable before. I can't sit in booths...my legs hit my stomach going upstairs. You know. It's just icky.

Ija
05-27-2009, 10:48 PM
My health (or more accurately, health scare) is what triggered this undertaking in the first place, but the major motivating factor was really the desire to live a normal life... to fit comfortably into lawn chairs, buckle my airplane seat belt easily, not lose my breath while tying my shoes, shop at regular stores, enjoy having my photo taken, ride any roller coaster, stop wearing down the inner thighs of my pants, stay cool on hot days, etc. Looking good also plays a role, but more as an additional source of reinforcement after having lost the weight.

WormwoodDoll
05-27-2009, 11:11 PM
I have always been rather healthy, despite some knee problems I had as a teenager -- which has gotten better since I walk daily and the muscle around my knee has built up!

I've never had problems with my blood pressure or anything of that sort, or had any health problems that were weight related. But at one point I realized I was getting really big and I was afraid that the health problems would start eventually from a poor diet and lack of exercise. I wanted to remain healthy and prevent any further damage that may occur in the future. I also want to have kids and I knew that being overweight isn't the best condition to try to conceive or carry a child in.

But of course part of me does it for the vanity. I want to feel beautiful -- inside and out.

ValRock
05-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Mine is vanity, pure and simple. I've not seen any real ill effects from my weight. I just don't like how I look in the mirror. I want to be confident in my clothes and feel good about myself. The reasons may be shallow but the side effects of losing the weight make it totally worth it!

My VERY blunt late grandmother (may she rest in peace but how I miss her) once said to me... "No use wasting being pretty on being fat" LOL I can still hear her voice saying it.

ringmaster
05-27-2009, 11:36 PM
Beauty is my main reason. I've been alone for a long time and I want to feel attractive to the opposite sex. The more I lose, though, the healthier and stronger I feel so it really is a win-win.

same here. I also want to have more energy and be more fit, to prevent any health problems that come with age later. if I'm not careful with my weight it can get out of control anyway, so I need to learn to make this a life style, not just a diet.

Jinksie
05-27-2009, 11:42 PM
my biggest is health; i cant afford health care if something were to happen, i need to look after myself now, rather than later.
But also, i wanna look good to me. I know i'll never be super thin, and i dont care, id like a firmer smaller image of me in the mirror is all.

Mikayla
05-28-2009, 12:26 AM
I started losing weight for my health, I wanted to feel better and I did not want weight related health issues, but now that I can see myself getting smaller the better I want to look. So ultimately i want to be healthy and fit, but looking good will be a very very big bonus.

JasonsLea
05-28-2009, 02:38 AM
Vanity for me. Besides being fat, I'm actually very healthy. I'm just tired of looking in the mirror and hating myself.

100percentME
05-28-2009, 03:04 AM
right now, im losing weight because i want to be more comfortable in my own skin. I want to not feel awkward wearing shorts and dresses, and i dont want to feel like i take up too much space and stuff. i just want to feel comfortable with my body, and right now all i feel is blubbery.
it's also for vanity too. i want to feel pretty. But im not too concerned with how the world sees me, i want to see myself as beautiful, and losing the excess weight i have is leading me to that goal.

LandonsBaby
05-28-2009, 03:05 AM
For looks I guess, if I have to chose just one. I can live a healthy lifestyle and still be fat. I want to lose weight for pregnancy and labor too. So where does that fall?

BeautyandtheBeast
05-28-2009, 03:17 AM
right now, im losing weight because i want to be more comfortable in my own skin. I want to not feel awkward wearing shorts and dresses, and i dont want to feel like i take up too much space and stuff. i just want to feel comfortable with my body, and right now all i feel is blubbery.
it's also for vanity too. i want to feel pretty. But im not too concerned with how the world sees me, i want to see myself as beautiful, and losing the excess weight i have is leading me to that goal.

My thoughts exactly. I just want to look good and feel confident and happy with myself.

Rosinante
05-28-2009, 03:56 AM
Vanity for me too, although I Know it should be health as I get older.

I want to
slip between tables in a restaurant without my behind or befront bumping into people
not worry whether the drop down table on the backs of seats in planes will rest on me or not
know that I Could eat a juicy steak or big ice cream without thinking people are are thinking, no wonder she's that size
clothes shop in normal shops

Next on my list is things like knee joints not hurting (achieved), achilles tendons and other bits in that area not hurting (80% achieved).

Bottom of the list is trying to get healthy enough to be ill, if that makes sense.

Devsmama
05-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Right now it's about health, I don't want to take bp meds and I was tired of my knees hurting. Once I hit Onederland-oh for sure it will be nothing but vanity, I want to look like I feel good, not hope I look good.

annie175
05-28-2009, 09:33 AM
Firstly health reasons. Was on two types of blood pressure meds, borderline diabetic, on cholesterol med, anti-depressant med, anxiety med. and was very unhappy with myself and life in general.

Second was for appearance reasons.

sws19
05-28-2009, 10:23 AM

This is more or less me too.

sprklemajik
05-28-2009, 10:23 AM
Mine is half and half: vanity and health. I've not had any health issues yet, but my Mom has and I want to avoid that if possible.

losermom
05-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Initially, I started this journey because of health reasons. My bp was/still is borderline high. And I'm hoping that it will stabilize over time. My feet and ankles were swollen and killing me by the end of each day. I was exhausted and fatigued. I was just plain old uncomfortable in my skin and embarrassed by my appearance. I was really tired of being the "fat friend".

As my journey has progressed, it has definitely become more about my appearance and fitness. My goal is to be healthy, fit and comfortable in my skin and appearance. At 46, I'm too old to be hot!

firefliesandpixies
05-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Mine is half and half: vanity and health. I've not had any health issues yet, but my Mom has and I want to avoid that if possible.

This is me too :smug:.

dragonwoman64
05-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Health is a huge consideration for me in losing weight. I'm in my 40s and want to have a good quality of life as I get older. At my heaviest I had trouble walking, and sleep apnea. It was scary.

Looking at the before and after pics of the women here in this thread, I have to say the looks part has a big influence too, wow! It is a thrill to try on smaller sizes, clothes that are nicer looking and look better on me (the gym helps with that).

I know mentally I'll be more confident and happier too, and have been with the weight I've already lost.

Jeannette311
05-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Well it was all about looks before, but now that I'm hitting 31 soon, I'm really scared for my health. Plus I'm a hypochondriac so I already think I have Diabetes and heart disease (although my doc says I'm healthy as a horse).

dragonwoman64
05-28-2009, 11:31 AM
At 46, I'm too old to be hot!

forget it! you're definitely not too old to be hot! I'm 45 and refuse to believe that, ha!

PS you're looking pretty good in your avatar!

DCHound
05-28-2009, 11:45 AM
My personal opinion is, there's no either/or between looks and health. There may be a dichotomy between physical health and mental/emotional health but it's not as sharp a divide as some make it out to be.

My #1 reason for wanting to lose weight falls equally into both of the author's so-called categories, looks and health, because it is both. I'm lucky in that I didn't really suffer from any obesity-related medical conditions even at 370, other than slight aches and pains and lack of stamina. My health conditions were mental/emotional - severe depression - the Catch 22 of being overweight making me depressed/being depressed making me unable to lose weight, ad infinitum.

Once I finally FINALLY started recognizing and breaking free of the depression, I realized that I deserved to look as good on the outside as I felt on the inside. So to me, that falls equally into both categories, appearance and health.

Just my $.02 - YMMV.

jamiec0926
05-28-2009, 06:18 PM
My main reason for getting serious about my weight loss this time is for my health. I have a 5 year old son who needs his mommy to be around for a long time! Right now he wants to do things with me and my weight stops me from doing some of them....:( He won't always want to be with his mommy and I am missing out on so much!!! Plus both my parents died when I was younger and from disease that could have been prevented had their lifestyles been different.

Next would be getting off my meds and that darn c-pap machine (I hate using it at night)!!! The money I spend on meds is ridiculous and it just gets worse with the economy.

Plus I want to feel good about myself and actually start living instead of existing!!! Being able to actually shop for "normal" clothes would be a great feeling!! There is something very satisfying about being able to wear a great pair of jeans!!!!! :D

But I won't lie....I am a single mom and haven't dated at all in about 4 years. I am 42 years old and sometimes fear being alone the rest of my life. The other day I was talking to my ex-husband and he mentioned his 10th anniversary was coming up. It felt odd to be saying it but I congratulated him. Then he asked me if I was dating anyone. I told him no...people say it isn't all about looks but I couldn't take anymore rejections so I just don't even attempt to meet anyone. Anyway, there is a small part of me that will feel really good to get to my goal weight and put on something really nice and "just happen to run into" my ex-husband and a few others who didn't believe that I would ever lose weight. :carrot:

So I guess for me it isn't just one thing that is motivating me to lose the weight.....