Weight Loss Support - What would you do? - Shopping at the mall

kk140
05-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Hi!

Picture this:
You're shopping at the mall, it's around 4 in the afternoon and you ate lunch at noon. You haven't had an afternoon snack. It was a last minute shopping trip so no healthy snack was packed "just in case".
You're walking along and start feeling hungry... really hungry like when your stomach is hurting and you're getting a headache type of hungry.
You look around and all you see is pizza, kfc, mexican food, ice cream, popcorn stand, jugo juice, asian fast food, starbucks...
What do you do?

Any suggestions?

Tracy
05-27-2009, 06:32 PM
I would go in the health store. Most malls have one, and buy a nutritious bar or snack

luvja
05-27-2009, 06:35 PM
I would buy a drink of some sort - Water, coffee, diet pop, just to hold me over until I got home and could eat.

CountingDown
05-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Every mall I've ever been in had a "health" store, a drug store, or an "anchor store" that carries healthier choices.

You have identified the main reason that there is ALWAYS a protein bar in my purse ;)

Thighs Be Gone
05-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Ask for a banana at Starbucks. They are usually behind the counter and are 90 cents. You could have a fat-free soy milk with it too.

beerab
05-27-2009, 06:41 PM
If I didn't really need to stay I'd just leave and make food at home or something.

Or do what the above did lol.

bindersbee
05-27-2009, 07:11 PM
I would recognize that it was probably no coincidence I found myself in that situation. It sounds like the type of situation I've been known to unknowingly create in the past as a way to not feel guilty about eating stuff that I shouldn't. I used to time my errands so I was 'out and about' at a time I knew I'd be hungry and therefore have a 'reason' to stop for fast food.

That may or may not be the case with you, however. There are very few places that don't offer at least SOMETHING healthy on the menu. Ideally, I'd try and choose the least naughty thing and eat it.

GradPhase
05-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Sugar free skim milk caramel iced latte!

kk140
05-27-2009, 07:50 PM
these are great! thanks! I didn't know i could get a banana at starbucks!
I know i didn't "create" this situation to eat junk because I don't normally eat in fast food restaurants anyways... but it's great to know i could find something healthy and not ruin my day because of bad planning!!

cfmama
05-27-2009, 08:02 PM
I would normally go into a drug store and pick up a protein bar or something of the like.

kelly315
05-27-2009, 08:05 PM
I would head to the KFC, and grab a couple of sides of veggies. Yes, they put butter on them, but they're still fewer calories than whatever else you might eat there. Or ask the popcorn vendor if they have any unbuttered pc. Maybe not, but it's worth a shot!

JulieJ08
05-27-2009, 08:18 PM
If I needed it to be dinner, I'd have a piece of pizza with lots of veggies if possible, or Chinese food. If I just wanted to tide myself over, I'd get a latte.

tarryn
05-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Get the **** out of there!!

melwolfe
05-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Starbucks Skinny Vanilla Latte...............yummmm

Glory87
05-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Tall non fat skinny latte and a biscotti is my go-to "fast food" snack of choice.

Honestly - I always know what I'm having for every meal for the entire week by Sunday afternoon, I can't recall ever getting stuck at the mall at mealtime without a healthy option. I know I'm an "over planner" but it really works for me. If I were going to be at the mall for "snack time" I'd have dried mango or a Nectar bar in my purse (they are nearly always in my purse, anyways).

I don't like "I'm hungry, but I dont have a healthy choice options!" so I try to limit it from happening. I'm like Kirk and the Kobayashi Maru - I cheat the test in advance to make sure I always pass.

ringmaster
05-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Some Starbucks sell packets of almonds. Or cheaper alternative is to keep a couple of baggies with portioned out almonds or dried fruit and nuts in your purse. They are the almost perfect hold you over snack... fruit, protein bars can melt or get smashed in your purse, but almonds can stay in there for awhile!

futuresurferchick
05-28-2009, 12:58 AM
Today I had a "booster juice" at the mall which is basically a smoothie with fruit and frozen yogurt. :)

For me this type of thing happens frequently because I don't like to plan my meals all the time--it's just how things work for me.

jellydisney
05-28-2009, 07:13 AM
When that happens to me, I usually go the the McDonalds and either get a yogurt walnut snack, or if it needs to be more substantial, a hamburger (250 calories).

The other option, like others have mentioned, is to leave. Go home and eat there.

aneleh
05-28-2009, 07:42 AM
haha I probably wouldn't even make it till 2pm without a snack knowing me. If I was really stuck I'd split a strawberry slushie bubble tea with pearls! I'm not sure how many calories is in that, but it's something to drink, and something to chew on, and I can't finish one in 30seconds and go looking for something else.

rockinrobin
05-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Honestly - I always know what I'm having for every meal for the entire week by Sunday afternoon, I can't recall ever getting stuck at the mall at mealtime without a healthy option. I know I'm an "over planner" but it really works for me. If I were going to be at the mall for "snack time" I'd have dried mango or a Nectar bar in my purse (they are nearly always in my purse, anyways).

I don't like "I'm hungry, but I dont have a healthy choice options!" so I try to limit it from happening. I'm like Kirk and the Kobayashi Maru - I cheat the test in advance to make sure I always pass.

Exactly, ditto. Eating healthy is too important to me to leave it up in the air. And I'm too much of a worry wart to let that happen. I know myself too well.

Like Glory, this is why I find planning essential. I never, ever want to get caught without the right foods on hand. Letting myself get hungry and then not having the right stuff with me is a recipe for disaster. I need to do my very best to AVOID situations like that.

Anyway...... Malls always (usually, hopefully) have a drug store type place. I would purchase a protein bar and a diet soda and head home and most definitely use this as a learning experience.

I never leave home without something in my bag. I always bring along a bag full of string beans. If there's any chance whatsoever that I'll run late, I then take a long an apple and perhaps a FF/SF frozen yogurt, which I always keep in the freezer - ready to go - just in case. Have I mentioned that I find planning essential? ;)

annie175
05-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Starbucks Tall skinny SF cinnamon dulce latte' with one equal...YUM

Jeannette311
05-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Subway veggie with no cheese and light mayo.

But if they didn't have a Subway, then I'd just grab a water and deal with it.

DCHound
05-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Almonds from drugstore or Starbucks. Worst case scenario, burger, plain, and remove the bun. But it's been so long since I had any commercially prepared food I'm afraid the sodium would make me retain 10-15 lbs of water. Really, I plan so far in advance I don't think I could get caught out without anything.

Water25
05-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Starbucks unsweetened latte and one of those little packets of nuts they have at the counter.

They do have fruit, but fruit on an empty stomach when you're hungry could cause a sugar spike and lead to cravings later.

Tomato
05-28-2009, 12:21 PM
If it was 4 pm and I had lunch at noon, I would be starved. So I would eat. I would probably choose the asian fast food and have steamed veggies with meat. Usually they allow you to customize your selection, at least to some degree.
I don't know what "mexican" means in mall food court, we don't have any of those here but I am sure there would be something at least semi-healthy to pick from there as well. I would NOT stone myself for eating something off plan. After 4 hours, I need a MEAL, not a snack.

kk140
05-31-2009, 05:27 PM
I know now to never leave the house without a healthy snack in case of an emergency!!
I plan, maybe not for the whole week but I plan as much as I can, but when random things come up... like a last minute trip to the mall... it's good to know there are options I didn't even think of!

Sophia Elise
05-31-2009, 05:58 PM
5 times a week assigned in the night shift. I really hope 1 day I can visit the mall.

saef
05-31-2009, 06:01 PM
Trader Joe's sells "handfuls" of trail mix & nuts in individual bags. I always have one of these in the bottom of my purse. If I knew I was going shopping, I'd probably also add an apple & figure on picking up a bottle of water. Because I know about shopping. It always runs over to inconvenient times & the food available when one is "mall captive" is invariably lousy. (Another reason to avoid going to malls ...)

Another vote here for going to the drugstore & seeing what kind of unsalted nuts they carried. Dry-roasted peanuts, almonds, maybe walnuts, if you get lucky.

Friday
05-31-2009, 06:03 PM
there is usually 1 place at the mall who has a salad..
Or Sub place you can get whole wheat with veggies!!!
or just a diet soda or water, if you can hold over..
its not easy.. especially if you are with people and everyone has burgers and fries.. and shakes! lol..
but we have to try just to make good choices!!!
Hang in there. you will do it!

healthfreak
05-31-2009, 06:59 PM
I agree that I would seek a shop that carries healthy snacks to calm your hunger. One must learn to resist the many temptations along the road to weight loss.

Haley8203
05-31-2009, 08:10 PM
haha I probably wouldn't even make it till 2pm without a snack knowing me. If I was really stuck I'd split a strawberry slushie bubble tea with pearls! I'm not sure how many calories is in that, but it's something to drink, and something to chew on, and I can't finish one in 30seconds and go looking for something else.

what is that?!?! it sounds really good lol

aneleh
06-01-2009, 06:37 PM
what is that?!?! it sounds really good lol
Oh my gosh, it's awesome!
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1138/931677987_ecf6708c53.jpg?v=1185661614
It's an asian drink, made with frozen strawberries, some milk powder I think, and pearls (the black things) which are balls of tapioca pudding that are chewy. So you drink it with a straw and can suck up the pearls and chew on them. Yumm. It's definitely better than it sounds lol.