Exercise! - walking goals/challenge

View Full Version : walking goals/challenge

jacksonmom
06-17-2002, 03:21 PM
Hi! I wanted to know if anyone set up walking goals? I have a long term goal of walking to Hawai. I right down the mileage that I walk everyday and track it on a map. I live in the middle of TX so my goal is to be in Roswell, NM by Christmas. It keeps me motivated. The map is by my treadmill. Also when I make it to Hawai I get to go their on vacation as a reward. Does anyone want to start a walking challenge? Like you set a goal to walk x amount of miles in a month and we can report our milage weekly. Let me know. Thanks!

jen519
06-17-2002, 03:31 PM
Hi Jacksonmom.
Sounds like a great idea to me! The 4-week weight challenge worked so well for me. Now if I can stay motivated to walk everyday. I have to think about what kind of goal I'll set myself. Unlike weekly weight loss you can make up your walking.

Jen
238/233/140

Kina
06-17-2002, 04:56 PM
Hey JacksonMom, I found you. Yeah I would like to join. I walk daily and I love it. Does stairclimbing count in your walk challenge? I just don't know how to tabulate the distance on the stairclimbing. I don't have a machine I workout on I just get out to the track and walk up and down the steps. Since starting my daily walking routine I have lost weight. So it will help in the next weight challenge.

When will it start? End? Who will set the goal? or will we set our own goals?

Thanks, Kinarina;)

jacksonmom
06-17-2002, 06:00 PM
The challenge will start today Mon. June 17 and will end on July 17 (31 days). If you PM me I will write up everyones goals and update it every Sun. If you don't walk you can still particiapte. You can guess or actually walk a mile and see how long it takes then do another exercise for the same time = 1 mile. For example 20 min. of aerobics = 1 mile. If you think of other ways to calculate feel free .

My goal is 42 miles.

Thanks to everyone who joins!

I've walked 1.5 miles today so I have 40.5 to go.

jacksonmom
06-17-2002, 09:25 PM
So far these are the people who have joined. Others please join so we can really supoort each other. Let me know if I made an errors with your mileage. Thanks!

Jacksonmom 42 miles

Kina 40 miles

Nikathalia 40 miles

jen519 50 miles

short & sassy 65 miles

stef 72 miles

HeidiL 80 miles

Apple Blossom 48 miles

madtypist 80 miles

jello 25 miles

Nikathalia
06-17-2002, 09:29 PM
iwill do it. i walk to and from work everyday...id say that its about 1/2 a mile away. i guess thats a mile for today.my goal is to go 40 miles

Kina
06-17-2002, 09:44 PM
Exercise is a great and natural way to achieve your weight loss goal. I have been walking since June 2. I started at 214 I am down to 206.5 so I will say 207.

I am on my way out to the track now and I plan to atleast get 2miles in before the night is over. I usually get around the track 6 times then I go over to the stadium steps and go up and down 5 times each way, then I go over to these planks that one is going up and the other is going down I walk up and down those things another 5 times each way, then I come back home and workout to Denise Austin either abs or a buns workout. Which lasts for about 30 min. I do all this daily. Sometimes life gets in the way and I don't get all my workout in but I try to get something in daily. Because I have noticed my weight loss has been moving much easier since I started exercising daily or even at all.

Well let the challenge begin; GOOD LUCK to EVERYBODY.:)

Thanks, Kinarina

jen519
06-17-2002, 10:20 PM
Hi.
My usual walk is 1.5 miles a day, but I'm about to add to it, so I''m going to set a goal of 50 miles for this month.

Jen

short & sassy
06-17-2002, 10:54 PM
Hello ladies,

I'd love to join. I've been walking for a while, I'm just not consistent with it. So, I will gladly take the challenge and set my goal 65 miles. That is a little over 2 miles per day. Good luck everyone.

Ruth
186/167/125

Kina
06-18-2002, 12:38 AM
Way to go Short&Sassy as well as all the others. I hope the word gets around and we can all benefit from this.

Good thinking Jacksonmom. Should we tabulate at the end of the week and check in then or do you want our mileage daily? I will keep track here at the house. I don't think I will count up the workout with Denise Austin.

Well good luck to everyone and remember we all are winners as long as we don't give up.

:spin: Kinarina

jacksonmom
06-18-2002, 11:02 AM
Hi everyone! I'm so glad people are joining the challenge. I feel that you can ALWAYS have a BAD food day but NEVER a bad exercise day. One of the reason I wanted to start this challenge is because I sometimes get discouraged when the scale doesn't move as fast as I like and I'm more likely to give up. I find if I workout at least I'm doing something positive for me even if the scale doesn't show it. I'm planning to keep renewing the challenge every month for as long as there is an interest. You can post your mileage as often as you like. I will post a list of everyones progress weekly (Sun).
Kina- You are exercising a lot. That is so motivating! I can't wait till I have the cardio endurance to do as much as you do. Right now I have to do 22 min. but I'm averaging 25 min. Yesterday I did a mile in under 19 min. YEAH!! I know many of you if not all can do a mile way faster than that. But I just started seriously exercising last Fri. and already improving my speed. I only do 22 min. this week then increase by 10% weekly. In the past I would jump in and start with doing 45 -60 min. then become so sore that I quit after a week. I have to remember that I didn't get out of shape overnight and I can't fix it overnight.
For some of you who don't do the wt. . loss challenge I thought I would let you know there is one under the support thread. Gennel usually does it and the next one begings 6/21/02-7/21/02. Talk with you later. Keep movin!

jacksonmom
06-18-2002, 02:47 PM
Had a good workout did 1.6 miles! Just wanted to checkin. Hope everyone is doing well.

Kina
06-18-2002, 03:52 PM
Hey Jacksonmom. I did 2.5 miles yesterday evening. Tonight should be about the same. Jacksonmom if I get to 40 before the month is over I will raise my goal. But there are times when I can't get my walking in so that is why I said 40 as my goal.

You are going great yourself.

bye.Kinarina

stef
06-18-2002, 08:00 PM
Hi JacksonMom,

Count me in too please. I think I do 3.5 ish miles a day on 5 days of the week. I've just bought a pedometer so tomorrow I'll know for sure!

I'll set myself a goal of 18 miles a week and I'll post the weeks mileage on Fridays, if that's OK with you!

jacksonmom
06-18-2002, 09:25 PM
Stef I'll add you on I got 72 miles as your months total. If that's not right let me know. Yeah, no problem you can post on Fri. Glad you joined the challenge.

HeidiL
06-18-2002, 10:03 PM
I'm an avid walker. I recently started power walking to get my heart rate up, since basically I am maintaining my weight (158 lbs today) and not losing.

The challenge started yesterday, right? Yesterday I walked 3 miles. Today I power walked 4 miles. My goal for the month is 80 miles. Some days I get to busy or I have no sitter to walk. Maybe I should use that treadmill that's getting dusty. Hmmmm..but I love the outdoors!

Thanks for letting me in!

Heidi

short & sassy
06-18-2002, 11:16 PM
Welcome Heidi and Stef, good luck to the both of you.

I've walked 5 miles so far in the last to days. At least, I'm off to a good start.

Ruth

jacksonmom
06-19-2002, 10:51 AM
Welcome Heidi I added you to the list. I will update the list of everyones total mileage for the week on Sun. Just send me a PM or post your weekly mileage total whatever day is good for you.
I'm glad to see everyone is doing so good on there walking. I need to go do my walking while my baby is asleep. Talk with you later. Keep Movin!

Kina
06-19-2002, 01:02 PM
Well group looks like we have a walking team.

Welcome Heidi, Stef, Nikathalia, Short & Sassy, and Jen(I spoken with you a few times.) I'm glad you got such a great turn out, Jacksonmom. I think this is going to be a very positive thing.

I have been stuck between 207 and 208. I went and bought myself some hand weights to take to the track. My arms are carrying some flabby weight that I care not to have there anymore. So I figured I would so something about it. Then also since I can't seem to get the scale to move I figured the extra resistance in my workout would push the scale some. Any ideas to get the scale moving again?

Yesterday I put in 2 extra laps in my routine. I was so drained I didn't race home to do my Denise Austin workout. I will get my workout in this morning instead of waiting til after my track. I really was proud of myself when I was able to jog 1 and 1/2 laps around the track. So all counting up I put in...3 miles after the stair climbing routine.

HeidiL
06-19-2002, 01:46 PM
Hello fellow walkers!

I had a very good walk today. Not sure how many miles it was, but I burned a lot. There's an overpass near my house that I've walked before. Thought I would try it again. I use 3 lbs weights and go up and down several times. My heart really starts pumping good!

I only got to do 1/2 hr. of excersise because my underwear was rubbing and it hurt so bad! LOL!! I had to stop or I would have a nasty sore! (I wanted to do an hour). Oh well, this is my way of starting out slow and building intensity, right? I'll get some more walking in tonight when it cools down. It's supposed to be 95 degrees today in sunny California. Hot!

I'll post more numbers later tonight or tomorrow. See ya!

Heidi

Apple Blossom
06-19-2002, 06:04 PM
Hi,
I'm joining the walk challenge with 2 miles a day. My goal for the month will be 48. I love the idea of walking somewhere. I think I'll walk to new york, where my mother lives.
I agree, this will be easier than a weight loss goal since a day missed can easily be made up. But no doubt, the walking will help with the weight!

jacksonmom
06-19-2002, 08:20 PM
Welcome Apple Blossom! I added you to the list (pg.1). I'm so glad this is a success. If anyone needs to know the mileage from your home and the destination you can go to www.askjeeves.com It will be 452 miles from my house to Roswell, NM I hope to have done that distance by Christmas. Good Luck Apple Blossom on your distane to New York. How far is it?
Kina by increasing your workout intensity you should get that scale to budge. Don't get discouraged. Remember you didn't get this way overnight and a plateau is better than a gain. Talk with you later.

madtypist
06-19-2002, 11:33 PM
Hi Ladies:

This sounds great to me. I have been walking all winter, however now that the weather is good I have been riding my bike everyday. I would like to join and record my riding miles. I ride at least 20 miles a week, so my goal would be 80 miles a month. Some days I also do some walking, especially if it is raining, which it sure has been doing a lot of that lately. My total so far this week is 14 miles.

Everyone is sure putting in a lot of milage, that is great. Well ladies have a great week.

;) Suzanne

short & sassy
06-19-2002, 11:36 PM
Hi everyone!

I got my afternoon walk in with my friend Tanya. After we walked 2 1/3 miles, I came home and walked a mile on the treadmill. I'm feeling so good about this walking challenge.

Kina, I understand the need to intensify your workout. I have been at a standstill with a small regain since February. I decided that if I'm having trouble with good food days, then I need to exercise, exercise and exercise. My problem is with consistency, that is where I hope this thread will help.

Also, I'm not sure if my scale is weighing me correctly, so, I decided to use a tape measure and judge by my waist if I'm doing any good with this!! I bet I don't get as discouraged that way.

Keep it up ladies, we can do this!!!

Ruth

jen519
06-20-2002, 12:49 AM
Everybody sure is moving! I'm off to a bit of a slow start. I didn't walk at all on Monday, only .5 mile at work Tuesday, but I went on my 1.5 mile walk tonight and I'm walking to the grocery store a little later too. That should be another half a mile. I've come home from work the last couple of days just exhausted, but I promised my daughter that tonight we would go, so I dragged my butt out and went! I figured after I got moving a bit, I would get some energy, but it never happened. That's how I can tell I'm physically tired and not just emotionally drained.
Anyway, slow start or not, I'm on my way to walking 50 miles. Only 48 to go. I'll have to think about walking somewhere too. I'm afraid I'd have to walk all the way to Ireland though. That could take a while!

Jen
238/233/140

HeidiL
06-20-2002, 11:37 AM
Hope everyone is having a great day!

I walked 3.5 miles last night. I decided to not count the overpass walking, and count only the miles I walk around the park near my house. It's 2 miles all the way around. I like to do it twice.

Going to get a perm this morning so my walking will be postponed for later. I like to walk early in the day so this is a bummer for me. At least my hair will be better. I hate when my hair is straight and stringy. I need some curls to lift my spirits.

Talk to ya soon!

Heidi

Kina
06-20-2002, 01:35 PM
Hi walkers!
Jen you can do it even if it is just 1/2 a mile it is all yours. Don't let the numbers from the rest of the group discourage you. Turn it around into motivation. I bet you will surpass your goal. Remember every itty bit counts toward your goal.
Heidi I hear you on the stringy straight hair. My hair is flat as a board. I used to have it long all the way to my rear and it was permed. Then I started cutting it and I couldn't stand the straight hair so I chopped it all off. I regret:( it every day. Now I am growing it back and waiting for it to get long enough to perm it again.
Walkers you are doing marvelous. Keep it up. I did my walk yesterday and my mom & granny joined me! I could hardly keep up with grandma. She just took off like rocket on the first lap. I usually increase as I go not her she just goes. I did 3 miles yesterday. Then came home and did 2 sessions with Denise Austin.

Do it with a smile!
kinarina:dizzy:

jacksonmom
06-20-2002, 03:23 PM
Welcome madtypist! I'm glad everyone is doing well. Kina's right a little bit of moving is better than none. Yesterday I didn't get my walk in my son (4mths old) just had other things planned. Luckily, today is back to his routine and i already got my walk in 1.6 miles. I really need to walk the rest of the days this week to make up for it. This thread really makes me accountable and pushes me to keep moving. Have a great day. Talk with you later.

Kina
06-20-2002, 03:44 PM
Jacksonmom, I hadn't realized that you were a new mom. Wow congrats! Don't over do it. But to be truly honest it's best to get active as soon as you can after having a baby. I wish I had--so long ago. My baby is going to be 6 years old pretty soon. I have yet to get rid of the "baby fat". But I am on my way! My scale registered 206 this morning and I was looking at past records...I have not weighed 205 since early 1999! So I am really working hard to get to 205. I want to be at 200 by the end of the month. I'm going to do my best.

Best of luck to all of you walkers.

:dizzy: Kinarina

Kina
06-20-2002, 11:05 PM
WHEW!!!!:o I just got back from the track. I put in another 3 miles so that makes 11.5 for the week so far. I have added a workout with Denise Austin working out the arms because my arms just seem to need that extra attention. I am going to try and do that every day and hopefully see some results by the end of the month.

I hope everyone is doing well. Talk with you later. Denise Austin is on Pause right now eagerly awaiting my undivided attention.

Bye.:) Kinarina

short & sassy
06-20-2002, 11:11 PM
Hey Suzanne, welcome to the thread. It seems you and I were the only ones posting to the walking thread, so when jacksonsmom suggested the walking challenge, I thought it would be a good idea! Glad to see you.

Jen, please don't worry about that you aren't doing enough. The rest of us didn't start out walking 3 miles or more a day. We had to work out way up to that number. Take your time, and just make sure you are consistant. You'll be surprised at how fast and far you will be walking down the line.

Well, I walked 2 2/3 miles with Tanya and a mile and ahalf on my treadmill for a total of 4 and 1/6 mile tonight.

DO IT WITH DETERMINATION!!

See you tomorrow!

Ruth

newfiesara
06-20-2002, 11:31 PM
-ahem- I'm a Canadian, so what is the conversion to miles, divide the kilometres by 2.2 or something? lol

Well if so, this week I've walked 5.6 miles over 2 days. There's a "loop" around my town that everyone walks.. and it measures 6.2k.. so yea.

Welcome me! ;)

HeidiL
06-20-2002, 11:45 PM
I could only do my short walk today, 2 miles, with my kids. Slow going. So my total is about 12 miles this week so far. I plan to do overpass work tomorrow morning and maybe a 3 mile walk around the park.

Got the kids in the tub, so gotta go!

Heidi

*Keep doing what you're doing and you'll keep getting what you got.*

jen519
06-21-2002, 01:44 AM
Hi all,
Today was a good walking day for me. I try to walk 1.5 miles every evening, but have just been feeling zapped when I got home from work. Tonight, though, I walked 2.5 miles. That plus the half mile on my morning break is 3 miles for the day. That's 5 miles so far. I'm going to try and walk on my afternoon break too tomorrow. (If I get one that is! The last 2 days it's been so nutty that I didn't even take my lunch until nearly 2:00 in the afternoon.) In any case, I'm well on my way to my 50 mile goal. I find that having a thread that's all about walking makes me feel accountable and that's giving me the extra push I need. Sometimes I wonder how many miles I walk up and down the hall at work!

Jen
238/232/140

Jello
06-21-2002, 11:52 AM
Um... hello? Can I come in and play? I'm new here.

Actually, I'm not new to 3FC but I was in another group for a couple of years and slowly over time the group got smaller and smaller and posts became few and far between. It was a shame. I miss a lot of those friends. :cry:

Anyway, I've been lurking around and poking my nose in where it may or may not be welcome and I happened to find this group. Jacksonmom, the first thing I saw actually was your post saying how you were going to “walk to Hawaii”. Keeping track of the miles you walk on a map is the coolest idea I’ve ever heard!!! :D What a great plan!! And I thought “I wanna do that too!”.

I’ve been reading through all the posts and I’ve come to realize that I’m not nearly as good at this walking thing as most of you guys. I love it but usually get to do only about a mile a day, sometimes not even that. My b/f and I are going to Scotland at the end of August and I wondered if I could walk that distance before then. Hm, southeastern PA to Scotland – 3200 miles. Me walking that distance in 2 months ... NOT!! But I could get started couldn’t I? I bet I could walk as far as the distance from my house to my mom and dad’s (50 miles) in that amount of time!!!

I also liked the idea of using the amount of time in other exercises towards the “mileage”. I go to the gym and love the elliptical machines there. I can do a mile walking in about 20 minutes and that’s how much time I spend on the elliptical machine so I can add that to my total, right?

I apologize for rambling on and on. It’s just sorta’ what I do. :shrug: Like I said, I hope I can join you. Pretty please? Just a little history on me if anyone wants to hear: I’ve recently lost about 40 lbs. on Weight Watchers but then hit a plateau that lasted months (almost an entire year, I’m embarrassed to admit) so I decided to take a break from that program and get my rear in gear, so to speak. Joined a gym about a month ago, go 2-3 times a week and still love it! Me? Exercise? :o Who’da thunk it?? I’m a 40YO, recently divorced, cancer survivor and like to walk more than any other exercise. Usually start my day with just 10 minutes or so on the treadmill or a quick trip around the block just to get the metabolism kicked in before I have to go to the office and SIT in front of the computer all day. :mad: Ah, why couldn’t I have been born rich and thin instead of so brilliant and so darned cute. ;)

Anyway, hello to all of you and I hope I can join you???

newfiesara
06-21-2002, 12:45 PM
whoa, a mile a day is better than sitting on your ***, now isn't it? ;)

jacksonmom
06-21-2002, 03:07 PM
Welcome newfiasara and jello.
Newfiasara you don't need to convert to mileage just tell me how many km you want to do by 7/17/02. Just post or PM your weekly stats and I'll make a list of everyones' on Sun.
jello I did not get your mileage goal either. I used 20 min. of exercise = 1 mile as an example because when I first started it took me 20 min. to do one mile and i was exhausted. I've only been walking regularly for 1 week and already dropped my time by 1 minute and 15 seconds but who's counting lol! If anyone posted there mileage goal and I missed it please PM me I'm a little sleep deprived. My son has decided he needs to wake up at 2 a.m. to eat instead of 5:30. Today we went for his 4 mth. check-up and we get to start cereal. Hopefully that will help him sleep through the night. At least it's the weekend and my dh does the night shift tonight YEAH!!!! I need to go walk while he is sleeping. Talk with you later.

Jello
06-21-2002, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the welcome Jacksonmom! :)

I don't have computer access on the weekends so this will be my last post until Monday. But wanted to check in again.

I've decided that I can do "the 50-mile trip to mom and dad's" before I go to Scotland. That is, I want to walk a total of 50 miles in the next 2 months. That's my goal, OK? And it still takes me a good 20 minutes to do a mile so I'm going to count 20 minutes of any exercise (elliptical machine, Richard Simmons video, etc.) as a mile of walking. Maybe once I "speed up" this old bod' I can change that number. ;)

Newfiesara, you are absolutely right! A mile a day is better-n-nothin'! (But not nearly as easy as sittin' around on my...... :rolleyes: )

Anyway, I'm off to print myself a detailed map to use to chart my success. I'm really excited about this! Thanks again for letting me in on this!

Jello (my friends call me "Jo")

Jello
06-21-2002, 04:34 PM
I'm back just once more I promise.

Jacksonmom, please put me down for just 25 little ol' miles for the month's challenge. (Half of the 50 I want to walk in 2 months.) I realize it looks like a sad little number next to the rest of you guys but I'm gonna start out slow ... and maybe work on catching up!!! ;)

Thanks!

stef
06-21-2002, 08:31 PM
Just me logging my miles. I have completed my 1 hour a day at about 3.5 miles per hour so put me down for 18 miles.

Next week I will be using the pedometer so I'll log it more precisely!

Stef

Apple Blossom
06-22-2002, 02:06 AM
Hi. Yesterday my husand & kids came along so I only walked 1/2 a mile. I love walking with my family around the neighborhood but I don't feel like I'm getting any kind of a work-out. I usually like to walk when my daughter is napping, that way I can go alone. But she hasn't been napping on a daily basis anymore. Anyway, I walked 2.5 today to start getting caught up.
I believe that puts me at 5 miles, 1 mile behind schedule.
I did get in 1/2 hour on my stair step thing but I'm not going to put that towards my walking. I didn't go anywhere!
I've also decided not to walk to NY since it's just to far. Come the end of July I won't be able to walk on a regular basis anyway. I'll have to think of a shorter stroll!

jen519
06-22-2002, 03:27 AM
Hi.
I didn't walk today at all! My bad! I have lots of excuses, though. No really good ones. Tomorrow I'll see if I can walk double.

Jen
238/232/140

Kina
06-22-2002, 02:27 PM
Everyone is doing great. Way to go. I have a question Jacksonmom. Since I walk everyday should I check in on Saturdays? Just wondering.

Welcome Newfiesara & Jello.

I hope everyone is doing well. Keep yourself healthy. I have not considered where I will be walking to. I am just focused on getting this scale to move. Argh.:mad: Okay well I will go now.

Keep on going.
Kinarina

HeidiL
06-22-2002, 05:34 PM
Put me down for 3 miles yesterday.

I have a hard time getting to walk on the weekends. Mornings are my best times because it's not as hot (heat tends to slow me down), and I'm up with the kids on Sat. and Sun. mornings, It's a bummer. Maybe I'll get a walk in tonight after the kids go to bed. It's nice and cool around 8pm. And not too dark yet. But I have to bribe hubby into not going out, though. He went out last night with the buddies, so he should stay home, huh? You tell him for me, -K-?

Just checking in. Hope everyone is doing fine!

Heidi

jacksonmom
06-22-2002, 10:02 PM
Everyone please PM or post and say this is my total for the week. I will make the weekly list on Sun.(I can add your numbers later if you don't get it in on Sun.) Make sure you say the total for the week otherwise it is getting to confusing for me.

I'm glad everyone is doing so well. I did 2 miles this morning and hope to do 2 tomorrow. Talk with everyone later.

Kina
06-23-2002, 01:23 AM
Okay Jacksonmom here is my total for the week...drum roll, please... a whoppin 16.5. And the crowd goes WILD. RAHHHHH! YAAAAAAYYYYYY! WOOOOOO!!! Alright alright I get my head out of the clouds. I was just too excited because this is the first week that I have a check mark on each day noting that I did my walk routine. Usually I had missed a day or two in the week. But not this week.

Kina's acceptance speech: "I'd like to thank the Academy for all their support. And to all my family and friends who pushed me to give 110% each and every day. You really like me(Sally Fields commercial)!"

Okay I just thought I would make it interesting. Total for the weekgot lost in there 16.5
Way to go Walkers. Bye. Kinarina

jen519
06-23-2002, 01:34 AM
WTG Kina!
You're an inspiration. My goal for next week is to walk SOME every day. Even if I don't feel like a 1.5 or 2 mile walk. I didn't walk today, but I worked in the yard a lot. A good deal of that time, I was kneeling and pulling weeds, so I think I'll just count the standing up parts. Lawn mowing, raking, digging. I did that for about 1.5 hours. It takes me 40 minutes to walk 2 miles, so I'm going to count that as 4 miles. I really was looking forward to walking in the late evening. I'm with you Heidi. I have a hard time really moving in the heat. I imagine your idea of heat is a bit different from mine, though, since you life in CA. I'm up in western WA and I begin to melt when it gets above 72 or so!
Anyway, I guess my total for the week is 9 miles. Not going to make my goal of 50 at this rate! That's because I didn't do any excersize 2 or 3 days. I'm going to drag out my stair-stepper tonight and see if I can do that for a little while. Then when I let it get too late at night to feel safe walking, I can use that and still get in some "miles".
Can't wait to see how everyone did.

Jen
238/232/140

Apple Blossom
06-23-2002, 02:50 AM
Hi, I walked 3 miles today so I'm caught up! That's 8 for the week.

HeidiL
06-23-2002, 02:44 PM
My total is 17.5. I was hoping for 20, but pretty close! Hope to get a walk in tonight. Might be going to the Fresno Zoo today. I got to get these kids out of the house! Grrrrrr!!! Driving me batty today.

Talk to ya soon!

Heidi

Kina
06-23-2002, 07:44 PM
WTG everybody. We all did great. Today looks like it is going to be a lazy day. It is so hot out here in Texas. So since I know I can get 1 mile in 10 minutes; I decided to break down my 3 miles into 3 mini workouts. I didn't count in any of my aerobic workouts with Denise Austin in my weekly tally. Well I just hope that even though I am doing my workout in mini sessions, at home, that I will still get the same improvements. I have to say even though it is a 10 min. workout I get a good sweat even standing in front of a/c.

I hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday.

Bye. Kinarina :wave:

madtypist
06-23-2002, 08:32 PM
Hi Ladies:

Hope all is well, we are having a heat wave up north here, so I went for a short bike ride today, 3 miles, came back and jumped in the pool, ahhhhhhhhh nice, so now it is cooling down a bit this evening and I am going to go for another bike ride when I finish this post, so my weekly total will be 20 miles for the week. Tonight I will be able to go further now that it has cooled down.

All you ladies are really adding up lots of milage, it is great. Have a good week.

;) I am outta here, Suzanne

Thanks for adding my milage to the list. :)

Apple Blossom
06-24-2002, 02:14 AM
Hi
I think I need new sneakers. I have 2 pairs of old running shoes from my running days (no time for that these days with 2 kids and a traveling husband) and they are beat into running stride. When I walk my foot strikes differently and I've been having some discomfort. Time to invest I think. Does anyone have a brand/model they can recomend? I've never bought walking shoes before. Ugh I feel old.
2.5 today for a toal of 10.5

jen519
06-24-2002, 02:18 AM
Well, I almost ran out of daylight, but I got in my 2 miles tonight! Good thing because I went out to dinner with my grandma for her 96th birthday and ate some things that aren't on my plan. I didn't make a pig of myself, though. Yay!
I have to say "wow!" Kina. I thought I was really moving doing a mile in 20 minutes. I guess 3 miles and hour isn't really that fast. Fast enough for me to work up a sweat, though, even though the sun was nearly down and it was a comfortable temperature.
We all deserve a pat on the back. WE DID GREAT!

Jen
238/232/140

jen519
06-24-2002, 02:21 AM
Hi AppleBlossom.
I usually get Nike Air cross-trainers. Don't know why, but the minute I put them on my feet, I'm good to go. Right now my money's tight, so I'm just wearing "Payless Shoes" special deal. They're new, though, so they're O.K. for a bit. They usually break down really fast, though.

Jen

Kina
06-24-2002, 03:03 AM
Yes, I can get a mile in 10 minutes because I power walk and jog. It is just 1/2 of the first lap that I use to warm up then I speed up. I didn't start at this speed. It took me awhile to work myself up. I have been power walking and jogging for about a month but daily as of June 2. I am out of breath and boy do my shins ache but I get a great workout.

I think I need new shoes as well, Appleblossom. Same here Jen, money being tight around this time. Our kids will be back in school in a couple of weeks so school clothes are a priority. I put 50 bucks into this weight challenge with my family. So there went my crazy money. Although since I have gotten into this challenge I haven't been making those extra stops at the fast food joints. Needless to say I have extra money to spend a little.

Well I thought I would check in before heading to bed. I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.

:hb: Happy Birthday to Jen's granny. Wow 96!

bye. Kinarina

Jello
06-24-2002, 10:00 AM
... of the rest of my life.

Hm, you know that is kind of a dumb saying when you think about it. :?: Then again, I guess it makes sense. I've been really slacking when it comes to dieting and exercising lately so I've decided today I'm getting back on track. The bad news is the weekend was like any other weekend for me. Didn't get in the water I usually like to drink. Didn't seem to find the time to walk. DID, however, seem to find the time to eat eat eat!!! :(

The good news is that I worked the breakfast at the local VFW. I'm the "runner" which means I have to go downstairs to the kitchen to get food, refill silverwear, take dirty dishes, pans, etc., keep the cooks up to date, etc. You get the idea. Anyway, as usual, I went up and down those stairs at least 50 times each way over the course of about 5 hours. The problem is that I have absolutely no idea how to count that! :?: Any suggestions?

Kina, let me get this straight ... You walked 16.5 miles in a week!?!?!?! That's amazing!!!! :) I want to be just like you!!! Usually, I'm happy if I make it a mile a day! You're really an inspiration!

Well, like at Suzanne's, we're in the middle of a heat wave here. It's tough to be outside. Good thing I've got the fan set up right next to my treadmill. Otherwise, I'd be slacking off again today. :(

Jacksonmom, since I just joined this challenge, can I wait until the end of the week before I post my total? I'm not quite as organized with this as I'd like to be just yet. (Yes, I'm one of those obsessive "chart/list" types. ;) )

Thanks to everyone who welcomed me to this list. Hope to "talk" to you all again very soon.

Jo.

jacksonmom
06-24-2002, 10:31 AM
Everyone did so well. I'm PROUD of all of you! Let me know if I got any of your totals wrong.

Jacksonmom...goal 42 mi...10

Kina...goal 40 mi...16.5

Nikathalia...goal 40 mi...N/A

jen519...goal 50 mi...9

short&sassy...goal 65 mi...12.5

HeidiL...goal 80 mi...17.5

AppleBlossom...goal 48 mi...10.5

madtypist...goal 80 mi...20

jello...goal 25mi. just joined

newfiesare...goal?...N/A

stef...goal 72 mi...18

Kina
06-24-2002, 02:00 PM
Hello everybody. I learned how to add my mini me pic to my posts. So now you can see my BIG smile looking right back at you. *SMACK*

Would you believe with all that I do that darn scale said I was up 2 pounds. I am getting so disgusted with this life change thing. But I am going to keep at it. I don't know what else to do. I am trying to look at it in a positive way...and assume that it is the muscle that I am gaining which is causing the scale to bump up and sooner or later it will start going down again. I don't know:( .

Well I have to go and dress. I am taking 3 of my 4 kids to the DR to get their immunizations for the upcoming school year.
TTYL.
Kinarina

jacksonmom
06-24-2002, 02:25 PM
Way to go Kina on all your exercising. You are a role model. I wish I could do as much as you. I know one day real soon maybe by the end of the challenge I will be able to. I took your cue on working out and walked 2 min. jogged 1 min. BOY I"M EXHAUSTED!! I still only improved my mile by 1 min. With all that jogging I figure it would have been more. Try not to worry about the 2 lb. gain by next week I'm sure it'll be gone. Well off to the showers.

madtypist
06-24-2002, 04:53 PM
Hi Ladies:

Well I've stepped up to the plate today and rode 3 miles so far today and will go out again tonight, if the rain holds off.

My scales have not gone down in a long time, however I've been riding my bike at least 20 - 25 miles a week
and have been watching my food intake, cutting down on sugar etc. the difference I have seen and felt is my clothes, they are a lot looser and I know I have lost inches, so don't get down on the scales, I should have measured myself months ago, oh well I know the exercising is wearing off those inches. :) gotta love that...

Have a great week ladies, walk on. :D

:cool: Suzanne

jacksonmom
06-24-2002, 10:53 PM
WTG Suzanne! THat's great you are seeing a difference with the clothes. A WW leader said that if you are scared to see how big you really are when you measure yourself then instead get a piece of string, rope, etc. and measure each of the areas with this. Where the ends meet is your starting measurement then every month or so measure again and cut off the part that is hanging and put it in a box then when you feel better about yourself measure all the little pieces to see how many inches you've lost. Knowing me I would lose all the little pieces lol! I'm planning to do my measurements sometime this week. I was excited this weekend I went to buy a pair of shorts and had to get the smaller size. The scale hasn't really moved but I guess the exercising and lifting a 4 mth. old is paying off. TTYL

Kina
06-25-2002, 01:03 AM
You are doing fabulous Suzanne. That is great. As long you keep moving. Like Denise Austin says "If you rest, You Rust!" That is great I have a date with Denise in a few moments.

I changed my pic my daughter( 11year old personal trainer) didn't like my other pic very much. She said it made me look old. So she took a few shots with the digi cam. She is a great photographer. Okay well I better go before Denise gets tired of waiting on me.

Good Luck! Kinarina

short & sassy
06-25-2002, 01:08 AM
Hey girls, sorry I haven't posted, I wasn't at home much this weekend and I haven't done any walking since Thursday. But Jacksonmom, here is my totals for last week:

Monday 2
Tuesday 3
Wednesday 3 1/3
Thursday 4 1/6

Total of 12 1/2

Tomorrow I will get back to my walking routine.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Ruth

Jello
06-25-2002, 09:35 AM
OK, so I'll probably never be able to keep up with you walkin' gals but I got on my treadmill last night and walked for a mile and then I thought of you guys and just kept on walkin'. Thanks!!! :love:

Suzanne, you've given me something to think about instead of just getting on the scale and weeping! You're right about losing inches and the clothes fitting better. Hm, do I have the courage to pull those LITTLE old jeans out of the bottom drawer and see if I can get them on?? Well, maybe not just yet.

Jacksonmom!! I DID THAT!!!! I lost my string bits!! Actually, I think my kitty had something to do with that. "Well, isn't that what yarn is for, mommy?"

I asked before but can anyone answer my question about stairs and how I can count my 50 trips up and down that flight last Sunday? There must be a way to measure that in miles. Maybe when I get on the elliptical machine at the gym tonight, it'll have a way to count steps and then translate to distance??? Humph! Getting healthy shouldn't be this complex, should it? :mad: Well, at least I'm moving the old bod'.

Well, I'm sitting here at my desk and a coworker just came in wearing one of the shortest dresses I've seen in a while. OK, it's hot here and yes, she does have the body for it *grumble* but really this is a place of business after all! I just don't get it. Even if I could wear clothes like that, I don't think I would. At least not to the office.

Sorry, I'll climb down from my soap box now. I have a tendency to ramble, you'll find. Just ignore me and I'll go away.

Mile and a half and counting...
Jo

jacksonmom
06-25-2002, 10:07 AM
Short&sassy I added your totals to the list. Way to get back to the program I know it's hard when you are having a tough week. Life just doesn't seem to stop or even slow down when you are trying to eat well and exercise lol!

Jello I would count the stairs by how tired you were . If it felt like you were as tired as you were when you did the great workout last night then count it as the 1.5 mi. you did last night. If more tired count more, less count it less you get the picture. There are no rules really on how to count other types of exercises. Do what's best for you. If I did 50 trips up/down stairs that DEFINETLY wiould be a good amount of miles. I can now only do 1 mile in 18:45. So I'm VERY out of SHAPE! I know what you mean about dress appropriatly for work. I think some people get work clothes confused with hoochie momma clothes.

I had a GREAT OP and EXERCISE DAY yesterday!!!!!!!!!!

Kina love the new pic! TTYL

jacksonmom
06-25-2002, 04:32 PM
Because of the support I get here I walked 2 miles today. I was thinking of y'all especially jello as I got to the 30 min. marked and told myself I'm going to go to 2 miles. Well I did it at 37 min. I'm so proud of myself I have not felt that way about myself when comes to exercise and eating right. So thanks and keep posting it really makes a difference and your posts do effect peoples lives.

Apple Blossom
06-26-2002, 02:49 AM
I didn't walk today, it's too d**m hot!! I didn't check but it must have hit 100. Ughh. I walked 2 yesterday so thats 12.5...
Reminder to myself..today is Tuesday....

jen519
06-26-2002, 04:06 AM
I'm with you Apple, it's way too hot for walking. It was 94 at 6 p.m. Don't know how hot it got earlier. I'm still awake past midnight because it's too hot to sleep too. I'm going to have to find a way to get up earlier to walk when it's cooler. If I felt like it was safe, I'd go walk now!

Jen
238/230/140

Jello
06-26-2002, 11:00 AM
Got on the elliptical machine at the gym last night. Didn't do my usual 20 minutes....

... did 30!!!! So there. :p :D

The machine said that in 20 minutes (the time it usually takes me to do a mile walking) I did about 1700 steps. And I figure the VFW staircase has at least 17 steps. So I did a mile up and down the stairs last Sunday. Woo Hoo!!!

Checked the maps. (That old walking the distance to mom and dad's thing.) Haven't quite gotten down to the shopping center but am past the church and approaching the golf course....

Apple Blossom
06-26-2002, 02:33 PM
I walked this morning, around 9:00. It was still cool enough that I could bring the dog too. I should do this whenever it's going to be a hot one...
Went 2.5 miles for a total of 15....(Wed)
I should have allowed myself a day off each week just in case something comes up. But I'll do my best to meet the challenge!

jacksonmom
06-26-2002, 02:52 PM
just finished my walk. Didn't want to exercise today but my son went down for his long nap and I figured if I didn't get moving now I really wouldn't want to when hubby came home. So far ahead of schedule with mileage for the week YEAH!!! I know a need to do extra miles this week because i'm going out of town and won't be able to walk for 2 days. My parents live in a hot 100% humidity with LOTS of mosquitos area. That's what you get when you live in a place surrounded by water. I used to be used to it but I've been away for so long that it just kills me. TTYL

jen519
06-26-2002, 09:15 PM
Hi everyone.
Good job AppleBlossom. Walking in the A.M. has got to be the answer. I set my alarm so I could get up and walk this morning, but I had so much trouble sleeping in the heat last night, (awake until after 1:30 A.M.) I slept through the alarm. Barely made it to work on time! I walked half a mile on my morning break again and it's not quite as hot today, so I'll do at least a mile this evening. After 9 p.m. should be better.

Jen
238/232/140

Kina
06-27-2002, 12:56 AM
Hi Everybody. Have you missed me? I know I have been MIA a few days. I have had a rough week. I throughout the mini 10 min workouts. It just wasn't the same as getting out to the track and feeling the wind and hearing the birds and watching the sunset in the distance. I guess I love nature. On the long stretch I like to close my eyes and soak it in.

About the track...I haven't even gotten the chance to get out there. I have had a bathroom problem with getting regular:o . So I have been soaking up juice, fruit, and prunes to try and get going. I have been so uncomfortable. So needless to say I have had to stay close to home...just in case:( . But I have been doing 4 workout sessions with Denise Austin (buns, arms, abs, and hips thighs buttocks) daily. I do the workout right before bed. When the house is quiet and I can enjoy ME time.

Would it be fair to count that in exchange for my mileage. Being that I haven't been able to get out to the track? Atleast until I can get back to the track.

I hope everyone is doing well. Stay out of the heat.
Bye. Kinarina

jacksonmom
06-27-2002, 04:28 PM
Kina I would count the tapes if it were me. Do you go to a track at a school? I tried that but I always forget how many times I go around and how many times counts as a mile. I did walk in the neighborhood today for 2.3 miles my longest ever. It took 45 min. and I pushed a stroller. TTYL

madtypist
06-27-2002, 11:05 PM
Hi All:

Sounds like everyone is doing lots of exercising. I just got back from my bike ride. I did about 2 miles tonight, it has been too hot the past couple of days to ride, plus it has been raining the past 2 nights. soooooooo I made it tonight. I am glad to be back at it, , I look forward to coming home and going for a bike ride. I miss it when I don't ride. It seems the more you exercise the more you want to do, and when you can't exercise for whatever reason you miss it.. it becomes a little addicting.:lol

I like that idea Jacksonmom about measuring with the string. I will be doing that on the weekend, good idea. I weighed myself today and no movement, oh well it has to move sometime as I continue on.... :dizzy:

Have a great weekend.

;) Suzanne

huntress
06-28-2002, 08:18 AM
Jacksonsmom - I absolutely LOVE your idea about walking to Hawaii! WOW, what a motivator to get going! I have a treadmill that has gotten very little use in months and your idea has me pumped to get on it again. What kind of chart or graph do you use? I didn't ready the whole thread was too excited but will come back when I have a little more time and check it all out.

Jello - Hi there, are you the same one that is posting on the diet plan forum?

LJ
225/212/150

Jello
06-28-2002, 09:16 AM
Another mile and a half down. Only 40-some to go.... :o

OK, I can't think like that. Think about what you accomplish, not how far you still have to go, right? Did a little over a mile at the gym last night (love that elliptical machine!) and then did half a mile on my treadmill this morning. Movin' right along.

Hi Huntress!! Are you following me or am I following you!? ;)

Jo

jacksonmom
06-28-2002, 04:58 PM
Huntress I just have a map of the USA and put it on a bullentin board. I put a pin in where I live and where I want to go. Since it is over water I went to www. askjeeves.com for the distance and driving directions. I printed them and that's where I got my min-goals from. My first mini- goal is to be in Roswell, NM by Christmas. I plan on having a pin show where I'm at as I cross the country. I'm glad you like the idea. I LOVE vacations and nothing motivates me more than going on a great vacation as a reward. Haven't walked yet today. Decided to do some deep cleaning while my son took his nap. Will have to wait till dh comes home to do my walking. TTYL

stef
06-28-2002, 07:16 PM
Computer at doctors - withdrawal symptoms AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

But I did hit my target for this week, all 18 miles, making a presumed 72 miles for the month. I shall begin with the pedometer tomorrow for next weeks count, now that I have mastered it and measured my steps etc etc etc etc.

Must get off now, this is someone elses phone bill!!!

Stef

Apple Blossom
06-29-2002, 02:37 AM
Just got back from camping. I didn't get a walk in today, but yesterday we hiked 1 1/2 miles along the shore of Lake Tahoe!!! Beautiful!!! I could have walked 10 miles but my 5 year old starts whining after about a mile. The campsite we chose was uphill a bit, with 17 stairs to get there. (Of course I counted!) So I'll say I met my goal yesterday just taking the kids back and forth to the restroom. So lets see....that's 17 miles so far.
Bed time for me!!!

Kina
06-29-2002, 11:56 AM
My mom dragged me out to the track yesterday evening at 9:30pm. Crazy lady. But it felt good to be back out there. I was going to come home and do my workouts with Denise but I ended up watching Cinderalla. Then I did 5 minutes on the ab roller(I borrowed from Mom). Boy do I feel it this morning. But I don't feel it in my stomach I feel it in my shoulders and in my back. Maybe my abs moved over there since there wasn't much room left with all the extra weight I am carrying in the stomach. LOL.

I don't think my scale has moved although I haven't jumped on there to get the honest truth. I have been very focused. No junk food snacking and more salads.

I hope everyone is doing great. I don't think I will get out to the track today it is pouring rain and the forecast looks like that will be for the whole weekend. So it's just me and Denise.

Bye.
Kinarina

jen519
06-29-2002, 03:57 PM
I haven't been doing great on my walking the past couple of days, but I have kept to my mini-goal of walking at least some every day. Half a mile to be specific. Anyway, the weather isn't too bad today and I'm planning on a 2-mile walk. Do we post our weekly totals today or tomorrow. Maybe I'd better get that walk in now, before anyone answers!

Jen
238/229/140

Kina
06-30-2002, 02:22 AM
Hi everyone. I went to a burger birthday party. O boy there is nothing I love more than a bar-b-qued burger. I took control and ate only one. Which is very good. I didn't eat cake (good thing it was chocolate). I don't care for chocolate. I did have a 1/2 a cup of ice cream to cool off. It was so hott with the rain.

Well anyway I think we are supposed to calculate our miles today. I have not gone to the track except for last night. So my total counting my 4 daily workout sessions with Denise come out to 20 miles. I won't make an acceptance speech today because I am very sore and tired. I had a long day and I have been using an ab roller and boy o boy I feel it. I don't know if those "as shown on TV" things really work but I borrowed it from my mom and thought I would try it out. I can't get that darn scale to move so I add more into my routine. Especially now that I can't get to the track because of the rain. One can only wait and see.

I hope everyone did well and had a wonderful week. Talk with you all later. Bye.
Kinarina

Apple Blossom
06-30-2002, 05:40 PM
Hi
I didn't have alot of time yesterday so something crazy possessed me and I went jogging instead. I jogged about 2 1/2 mi plus another 1/2 walking. It felt good, but hot. I went jogging today too but slower and not as far. (I'm a tad sore)
So thats 3+2 1/2 +17= 22 1/2 total!

jacksonmom
06-30-2002, 07:18 PM
Let me know if i made any mistakes. If you didn't get your total in I can add it later just PM or post it. Thanks!

Jacksonmom...goal 42 mi....22 mi

Kina...goal 40 mi... 36.5 mi

jen519...goal 50 mi...15 mi

short&sassy...goal 65 mi...12.5 mi

HeidiL...goal 80 mi....17.5 mi

Aplleblossom...goal 48 mi...22.5 mi

madtypist...goal 80 mi...36 mi

jello...goal 25 mi...5.8 mi

stef...goal 72 mi...36 mi

jen519
06-30-2002, 10:26 PM
Hi.
My daughter and I went on a strange spontaneous road-trip after we watched the first feature at the drive-in movie. It was about 11:30 P.M. when we left and she asked how much gas we had. I said "A full tank. Why?" She said, "Well, I was just wondering if we could go for a drive." Boy did we! We drove across the mountains to Eastern Washington. I took a 3-hour nap at a rest area around 2:20 A.M. and woke up to drive into the sunrise. We stopped a few places and walked around, but mostly it was just a driving trip. Anyway, we went to bed when we got home at 11:00 this morning. What a terrible mom I am getting my daughter's hours all screwed up like that! It was a great adventure though.

I didn't get my walk in yesterday, so my miles for the week were a piddling 6 miles. I'd better do more this week, or I'll never make my 50 mile goal!

Jen
238/229/140

Jello
07-01-2002, 10:19 AM
Boy did I slack off this weekend. :( No walking at all! Too busy. It's too hot. Didn't feel well. Working on other stuff. All the usual excuses.

Worked in the garden most of Saturday in the heat. Darn weeds are taking over the planet!!! :o But I can't really count that as walking.

Anyway, the total towards my 25 mile goal remains at 5.8 miles so far. Hm, good thing I didn't set my goal higher..... :^:

Jo.

Kina
07-01-2002, 12:54 PM
Hi everyone. Hey I got some interesting info...actually I have posted it before I think. Well anyway in response to all of you who don't get your walking in because you did this or that, check out this website.>>>www.caloriesperhour.com It counts up everything under the sun as a form of exercise. I can't remember if it counts it into miles but it does show so many things as a form of exercise. Some may catch you by surprise. But refer to it. I use it alot.

Jo you are doing good. Gardening is a great form of exercise. I see it like this...If you sweat you exercised! However much you did count up how much you think it was worth in miles. Don't short change yourself.

Keep up the good work gang. Talk to you all later.
Bye. Kinarina

madtypist
07-01-2002, 05:23 PM
It is hot,hot,hot, the thermometer on my deck won't go any further, it is at 120 degrees, :o

Thanks Jacksonmom for posting my post is 16 miles, it has been too hot for riding too far the past 3 days or so.

I have wrote long posts but they are not working for some reason, soooooooooo this is short, it is too hot for staying in the house today, everyone is going great guns that is so great.I have waited 8 months for this weather, so everyone into the pool.....

:) Suzanne

Jello
07-02-2002, 09:33 AM
Got really energetic yesterday at the gym. Set the elliptical machine for 20 minutes but when I was done ... I just kept on going. Total mileage 1.2. Not too bad for little ol' me! :smug:

Brings my total up to 7. Almost to the big intersection just south of where I work....

Kina, thanks for the website (and the pep talk too! :D ). I checked it out briefly but bookmarked it and will definitely go back and figure out some kind of "mileage" for the day of gardening and add it to my total.

Keep on walkin'!
Jo

jen519
07-02-2002, 10:49 AM
I got up in time this morning to walk 1.5 miles. Woo Hoo! I got to thinking about how many miles I have to go to reach my goal and it's only 2 weeks away. I'll have to put in more than 2 miles per day to make it. Tonight I'm going to mow my lawn. Thanks for that website Kina. It shows that lawn mowing for 20 minutes is more than walking for 20 minutes at 3 MPH, but I think I'll just count it the same. I want my mileage to be clearly up and above what I'd do normally. That's a great site, though.
I guess I'd better jump in the shower or I'll be late for work in spite of getting up early. It's a beautiful day, I'd sure love to call in "sick".

Jen
238/229/140

Apple Blossom
07-03-2002, 03:24 AM
22.5 plus 2...24.5
Back to walking today, and a big fat 0 for yesterday because of the heat. It's cooled off quite a bit this evening though. The rest of the week should be nicer. i need to catch up a bit so I'd like to put in 3 miles a day for the rest of the week....

Jello
07-03-2002, 09:54 AM
Total so far: 8.0 miles. Did another mile at the gym last night. Past my office and heading for the expressway! I'll be at mom and dad's in no time.... ;)

Supposed to hit 100 degrees here today. Thank goodness for air-conditioned gyms, eh?

madtypist
07-03-2002, 08:01 PM
Sounds like everyone is doing just fine at this exercising, I got out last night for a 3 mile ride it was nice a little hot but what the heck I would rather exercise than not...

Thanks Kina for that calorie site it is really good. Now if I just could cut down on my calorie intack I may be able to burn some off, it is amazing all the different activities and how much you burn.

Speaking of burning calories I am out to the pool for a swim :)

and maybe a bike ride... Have a good week..

;) Suzanne

Kina
07-04-2002, 02:46 AM
You're welcome. I have found this other one that might help I will have to look them up under my favorites and get back to you. If I forget remind me. I am so busy right now my baby girl turned 6 today. Tomorrow we will be celebrating her birthday. So I may not get back to you right away but I will try before we go on vacation.

Bye.
Kinarina

stef
07-06-2002, 11:03 AM
Hi!

I made 82 miles this week (I taught a couple of extra Aqua classes).

No weight loss in the last 2 weeks but I am feeling fitter and my clothes are loser, so I know I am doing it right. My body is just doing its own thing for a while - at least I didn't gain anything!

Stef

stef
07-06-2002, 11:04 AM
Hey, ignore that last number, it's a typo, obviously! I meant 28 miles!!

Sorry!!!!!!!!

Stef

jen519
07-06-2002, 03:41 PM
O.K.
I'm checking in, but I'm embarassed. After a great start, I only walked 3 miles this week. My goal for the 4-weeks was 50 miles which was do-able with a bit of discipline. Not likely to happen now. My total so far is only 18 miles. My goal for the rest of this week is to walk every day. I said that before, but I'm re-committing to it. I know that even when I fall short of my goals, if I keep getting back up and working, eventually I'll have success. Thanks for being here, everyone. Hmm..Stef, if I could walk "82" miles this week I'd make my goal. Even your 28 would get me close, but it's not too likely. I still only do 3 MPH, so it would take me over 9 hours to do it. I don't think I can stand to commit that much time to excersizing. Right now I'm losing weight by leaps and bounds, just by eating right, but that's because I'm at 226 and just started losing a couple of months ago. When I hit my first plateau, I expect I'll be making a MUCH STRONGER commitment to the excersize!

Jen
238/226/140

Apple Blossom
07-06-2002, 07:33 PM
0 for Fri and Sat, but 3 on thurs for a total of 27.5. Well. I did take a short walk this morning so lets say 28. I was visiting a friend, that's why the zero, but back to 3's I hope!

jacksonmom
07-06-2002, 11:23 PM
hi everyone! Glad to see you all are doing good. I was out of town for the holidays just got back today. Didn't do good this week with walking. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some mileage in. I will post everyones weekly totals tomorrow. I don't know if I'll make my goal but I'll sure try. I now have an earache. Haven't had one of those since I was a kid. Don't know how I got it. I don't swim haven't been to the lake, etc. Hopefully it will get better soon without a trip to the doctor. If anyone knows any remedies to get rid of it please let me know. They sell no over the counter meds. for earaches. TTYL .

jacksonmom
07-07-2002, 05:15 PM
I know alot of you have not posted your weekly milage I will update them as I get it. Please let me know if I made a mistake. We have 10 days till challenge is over. Keep up the great work.
Weekly totals:

Jacksonmom..goal 42 mi...25

Kina...goal 40mi...44.5 MADE GOAL!!!!

jen519...goal 50 mi...18

short&sassy...goal 65 mi....12.5

Appleblossom...goal 48mi...28

madtypist...goal 80 mi...53

jello...goal 25 mi...5.8

stef...goal 72 mi....64

Kina
07-08-2002, 11:35 AM
Hello everyone. This week was a bust. We just got back from out of town. Then parties and holidays needless to say I didn't not have a great week. But today is a new day and I plan to get my routine back on track. I plan to lose a pound by the end of the week.

My total mileage for the week was "8"!

I have to get going now. I am glad to see everyone is still determined and heading for goal. Thanks for everyone's support. This is a great thread.

Bye. Kinarina

Apple Blossom
07-09-2002, 02:12 AM
Sunday 3, Monday 2, total 33. 10 more days? Let's see, thats 15 miles in 10 days. Piece of cake! Except the paper says it's going to be 105 for a few days. I'll try and get up to beat the heat.
I have to say that although I'm doing terrible about eating, the exercise is going quite well! Thanks everyone!

Kina
07-09-2002, 10:09 AM
Wow! I made goal already! Well let's see how much I can cram in in just 10 days and then try to beat that on the next challenge. It has been raining here in Texas. So I can't go out in the elements. I'd rather be at the track than in the house. Yesterday I didn't go out to the track or exercise. We had just come back from our weekend vacation so I yard needed some TLC. I did get to do my ab roller. Would you believe it doesn't hurt to use that thing anymore. It hurts while I am doing it but not after. It feels really good. I hope it works. So anyhow I am really happy to see the numbers. It shows just how much eveyone is working to succeed. And you all will.

Good Luck.
Kinrina

stef
07-09-2002, 12:04 PM
Hey Jen,

I hope I am not overstepping here BUT (ha ha!)!

I am a physical activity coach (though that is not the word I use to describe myself normally). I read your post and saw something that I thought I could help you get over. You said that my 28 miles would take you over 9 hours and you aren't ready to commit to that much exercise yet!

Well forget it!!! Don't commit to 9 hours, or 6 hours or any hours this week! Just commit to 10 minutes today!

Let tomorrow come as it may, forget it! Make your commitment to NOW. It's not as silly as it sounds. You might have to a little bit of preparation first but it does get easier. So if part of your problem with walking is having to dig out the comfy shoes then keep them by the front door! Then the very moment you think you have 10 minutes to spare you can put them on and go!

I know this sounds simple, and it is. But you seem to be focusing on the end result, 9 hours of walking. And that is a very large goal and an almost impossible lump to swallow in one go. It took me 6 months to get there! Set yourself little goals, like 10 minutes walking today, with a couple more minutes added on by the end of the month. It will soon build up! I think WW etc do this too. Rather than saying 'Stef, you need to lose 4 stone (56lbs)', they say 'Stef, your first goal is to lose 7lbs'. This makes it a more accessible target.

I know this is a bit much, you don't even know me. But if you want to e-mail me feel free. My job is to help people increase their daily activity levels to achieve improved health. I don't focus on weight loss, or looking thin, but on feeling fit and well. The weight loss comes as it may and is very welcome, but it is not a primary goal for my customers (all of whom are very overweight, e.g. 400lbs+).

So get in touch if you want some personal one-to-one, Stef

stefcooke@hotmail.com

madtypist
07-09-2002, 10:10 PM
Just got back from a bike ride, nice night out, cool and windy just right for riding. It has been a little too hot the past couple of weeks for exercising so the cool weather is easy to handle.

I managed to get in 17 miles the past week, my total to date is 53.

Have a great week ladies.

;) Suzanne

Kina
07-10-2002, 01:36 AM
Hi everyone. As I had mentioned before we just got back from our weekend vacation. We stayed with a great friend of mine. She is really into spiritual stuff, yoga, feng shui, and stuff of the nature. She is a strong believer in massage as well. So she noticed how tense I was in my shoulders. She suggested I get into yoga again. So I went out to Wal Mart to find a beginners yoga video. Well I didn't find one that said "beginner" so I settled for one titled "Yoga for Dummies" . I don't think the title is going to do anything for me. I haven't looked at it. The family is watching Stuart Little. But while we were at the store I also checked out the exercise machines. I am thinking of buying an Elliptical Machine. I priced at Wal Mart for $149 and some change. My husband wanted me to put it on layaway but I think if I did that I would be so depressed waiting for it to get out. So I didn't. I will save up and get it when i am ready.

I hope everyone is doing well.
Bye. Kinarina

Apple Blossom
07-10-2002, 07:31 PM
2 yesterday and 2 today for 37 total. It's soooo hot. I heard 109!
Stay cool everyone!

Kina
07-11-2002, 01:17 AM
Well I don't know if I will be up for my yoga tomorrow. I slipped off the back porch steps right onto my rump. I hit my back pretty hard. I am feeling it a bit not bad. I am hoping it won't get worse. Right now it is my head that is really hurting. I didn't hit my head but I guessed I jerked it pretty hard. I am going to still do some exercise just not anything strenuous. I am hoping that if I keep active the pain won't set in so badly and it will subside quicker.

Watch out for the slippery spots. Stay out of the heat. Drink plenty of water. Bye.
Kinarina

Jello
07-11-2002, 09:27 AM
After a long weekend of getting NO exercise, I'm FINALLY back on track. :D Went to the gym last night and instead of my usual 30-45 minutes including a mile on the elliptical machine, I was there well over an hour, spent some extra time on the machines and then did 2 miles!!! For me, that's AMAZING!!!! I'm so proud. :smug:

You know what, it actually feels soooooo goooood to get back into it full force like that. Lost count somewhere along the line but I think my total so far is 11.5 miles. That puts me up the expressway but not quite as far as where my old apartment is.

On the other hand....

....Kina, you take it easy, young lady. Back and neck stuff is nothing to mess around with. :( Sorry, don't mean to be preachy. Actually, falling down steps is something that I do on a regular basis. My friends all know my klutzy ways. I'm quite familiar with bruises and boo boo's. Either way, take care of yourself. BTW, let me know how you like the yoga. My gym teaches a class on it and I've been thinking of giving it a try.

Gotta run (no pun intended ;) ). Have a good one!

jacksonmom
07-11-2002, 01:53 PM
madtypist I updated your mileage.

Kina- sorry about the fall. I've done that a lot of times except mine is usually done my flight of stairs. I always seem to get my BIG dogs under my feet. Go figure.

Glad everyone is doing so great. I think everybody will make or come real close to making goal. YEAH!! Do you want to extend it to 7/21 instead of 7/17 because 7/17 is the middle of the week and I think the 21 st. is that Sun. which is the day we tally our mileage. Let me know what everyone thinks. Got to go clean the house my son FINALLY went down for is nap. TTYL

jacksonmom
07-11-2002, 01:54 PM
Way to go Jello forgot to say how proud I am at how well you are doing on my last post. Don't you just love it when you do more at your workout then you planned to do.

madtypist
07-11-2002, 11:41 PM
Kina that must be sore after your fall, there is nothing worse than having a sore back, hopefully you will be up and exercising soon.

An extension is fine by me. Great idea.

I got out tonight and rode 6 miles, great to be out.

Have a great weekend ladies.

Kina
07-13-2002, 11:59 AM
Hello to everyone. I am feeling so much better. I think that yoga has helped me to get over the aching. I do ache in some spots but overall I am feeling so much. I have the most discomfort from getting up from a sitting position that I have been in for a while. Needless to say I can't stay glued to the computer all day.

Yoga is awesome. I love it. I am feeling great inside and out.

Since my fall I have limited my exercise. So I have not been doing aerobics with Denise. I have been doing my yoga and if I can get a hold of a treadmill I would get on that very slow paced. So for the week I have a great big 4 miles to report in. But after I do my yoga this morning that will give me 5 miles for the week.

Well you all have a great day.
kinarina...."Corina"

stef
07-14-2002, 06:55 AM
Ooooooh! Only 15 miles this week. I am stuck in front of my PC doing the academic thing, eeeeeeeeeeeeeuk!

And I have a big presentation next weekend and I haven't even opened Powerpoint yet! Starting a new business and panicking etc etc etc. I need to get some more time, more organised, ore sleep!

Still, a week off at the end of the month should sort me out!

Stef

jacksonmom
07-14-2002, 10:19 PM
THe weekly totals for 7/14/02. Not very many people reported so far. I will update as I get new totals. Let me know if there are any errors. We will end this challenge on 7/21/02. I thought it would be neat to see how many miles as a group we have already accumalated and the total is....311 miles!

Jacksonmom...goal 42 mi...42 MADE GOAL!!!!

Kina...goal 40 mi....49.5 MADE GOAL!!!!

jen519...goal 50 mi...18

short&sassy...goal 65 mi... 12.5

Appleblossom...goal 48 mi... 39

madtypist ...goal 80 mi... 74

jello...goal 25 mi...11.5

stef...goal 72...79 MADE GOAL!!!!!

madtypist
07-14-2002, 11:13 PM
The weather was on my side last week was able to clock in 21 miles of riding my bike for the week, my daily route is 6 miles and often I will do that twice on the weekend, however this weekend it was a little hot, I hope to get out tomorrow and start the week off on the right foot.

So my total so far is 74 miles......I thought I would have had a hard time doing that this month because of the heat but we have had some cool nights in the past week no humidity. :p

Have a good one ladies.....

;) Suzanne

Kina
07-15-2002, 01:14 AM
Hi Gang! I am glad to see everyones great effort. Believe me it will pay off good. I have great news to report...the scale finally moved. I was so happy. This morning I got on the scale and believe it or not it read 205! You can't imagine how happy I was.

Another great thing is I usually visit the craft department while I am visiting Wal Mart. Instead lately I have been going over to the fitness department. There is a elliptical machine I truly want. But there was another machine my mom was interested in, but she wouldn't ever go out there. So anyway I couldn't buy it not that day. We went yesterday to buy our groceries, while DH was in electronics, I went over to the fitness dept. Well I was considering on putting the machine my mom was interested in on layaway. But then when I looked at the price tag it had been placed on clearance price! I picked up that thing and put it in the basket. It was clearanced half price...only $35 bucks! I couldn't pass it up. It has a stepper on one side and on the other side it has a twister. My mom swears by the twister's ability to whittle my waist away. Well my mom was a bit jealous but in a good way. So I have been getting a great workout with that, the ab roller, and my yoga DVD.

I hope to be at 200 by the end of the month. Maybe that is too big to dream. But I am going to try very hard. It is looking very positive right now.

Great Luck to you all for a active week.
kinarina

jacksonmom
07-15-2002, 12:56 PM
Way to go Kina. I know what you mean about the scale finally moving. It seems like my weight has no problem gaining but sure hates to lose. I keep telling myself at least I'm not gaining. It can be so frustrating!!!!! I can see why people give up on eating healthy and exercising because it takes SO LONG to see results. At least people say it does haven't yet seen a payoff for all my hard work. Need to go walking. TTYL

Apple Blossom
07-16-2002, 02:57 AM
Hey,
I added 2 more miles today. I missed 2 days in a row for no particular reason except we started our kitchen remodel hurray! Ithink I'm up to 39, if I'm not mistaken.
I've fallen off the diet thing...pizza twice this weekend on account of the out-of-service kitchen. But I look forward to my walks. I really enjoy exercising.
How many more days are left in this challenge?

Apple Blossom
07-16-2002, 03:06 AM
Hey,
I added 2 more miles today. I missed 2 days in a row for no particular reason except we started our kitchen remodel hurray! Ithink I'm up to 39, if I'm not mistaken.
I've fallen off the diet thing...pizza twice this weekend on account of the out-of-service kitchen. But I look forward to my walks. I really enjoy exercising.
How many more days are left in this challenge?

Kina
07-18-2002, 10:54 PM
Where are our walkers? I haven't been walking in the sense of going out to the track...too many mosquitos. I have been getting on my stepper and twister and doing the ab roller. This morning I was too excited when I saw the scale register 204.5. I am almost to my goal. I bet you tomorrow it will show 206 even though I did not pig out. That is just the way life is...so unbelievable! I hope it doesn't change so much and if it does I hope it goes down.

I have a horrible kink in my neck and I hope it is just from sleeping wrong and not from the slip off the backporch steps. Anybody have any remedies for a stiff neck? I have put Icy HOT it is something like Ben-Gay but it didn't do much for it other than make it burn all night long.

I hope everyone is out there getting ther mileage.
kina

Karena
07-19-2002, 05:58 PM
Hi all. I'd love to join your walking goals challenge when the new challenge starts. I've been absent from 3FC for a year or two and gained back the 60 pounds (plus 15) I had lost.

I started working at getting healthy again in Mid-March and have lost 30 so far. Walking is my exercise of choice! Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Kina, sorry I don't have any suggestions for a stiff neck other than some gentle stretching.

jacksonmom
07-19-2002, 07:04 PM
Karena- would love to have you join the next challenge. I will start a new thread on Mon. 7/22/02. All you have to do is post your mileage total weekly and come up with a monthly goal of how many miles you want to do.

This has been a week of slacking for me in the exercise dept. Not sure why but I just couldn't find the motivation to get moving. Did workout 2 days though.

Kina hope the neck gets better.

Everyone I will post the end of the challenge results on Sun. and will start a new thread on Mon. So please everyone join again and be thinking of how many miles you want to do next month. TTYL

Kina
07-20-2002, 01:57 AM
Welcome to the thread Karena.

Jacksonmom***you know what it is that you are slacking on the exercise? It is because you reached your goal before the end. Thanks my neck is feeling so much better. I just did some neck rotations and stuff like that.

Well good luck to all make these last few days count.
Corina

Kina
07-20-2002, 08:40 PM
Jacksonmom*****just like you I slacked these last few days. I got a total of just 6 miles in for this last week. Not much to brag about but better than nothing.

I hope everyone is doing well. It has gotten very inactive in here. Take care. Don't forget to make everyday count.

bye.kinarina

madtypist
07-20-2002, 08:52 PM
Hi Everyone

Hope all is well,, Kina glad to hear your neck is getting better, nothing worse than being laid up and not being able to do to much.....

I got in some serious bike riding this past week, I did 29 miles.... and boy it sure feels good, and the scale actually went down 1 pound. That is the first time in about ummmmmm 2 - 3 months that the scale has moved. I guess it is all the extra bike riding I have done in the past week, plus watching my eating intake. I have a bike route that I do every night and it is 6 miles and any extra I do is a bonus.... Last Monday I did my route 3 times so that helped alot. Yee Haw.

Will be looking forward to the next round. My total for this week is 29 miles. Have a great weekend ladies.

;) Suzanne

jacksonmom
07-22-2002, 11:27 PM
Hi! This is our final totals. Still have not gotten everyone's total. will update the list as I get them. I will be starting a new thread today for our next challenge. Sorry I'm posting so late my computer wouldn't let me post earlier today. Please everyone join. Everybody did really well.

Jacksonmom...goal 42 mi...45 MADE GOAL!

Kina...goal 40 mi...55.5 MADE GOAL!

jen519...goal 50 mi...18

short&sassy...goal 65 mi...12.5

Appleblossom...goal 48 mi...39

madtypist...goal 80 mi...103 MADE GOAL!

jello...goal 25 mi...11.5

stef...goal 72 mi...79 MADE GOAL!