Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-27-2009, 03:42 AM   #1  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

S/C/G: 463.1/273/170

Height: 5' 5 1/2

Default Stuff to get to help with DS surgery, in hospital and after?

the pre-surgery shopping list thread above is pretty much for RnY and I am wondering what should I stock up on in hte next 2 months before my surgery (wow it is coming fast)

I will be seriously broke for a while after surgery and so I want to stock up on stuff now for the first 3 months, I also want to make a "gift list" for friends and family who want to get me something (I have tons of plants and dont want cut flowers) I would just as soon have vitimins and protein powder.

So far I have arranged for:
Wireless internet and a small laptop computer
a 19 inch monitor to attach to the laptop to watch tv and movies
A netflix subscription including on-demand downloadable stuff.
a recliner (all of this will be in the front room together)
my mom to take 5 to 7 days of vacation starting the day I get out of the hospital
I have 3 Queen size jersey top sheets and i am going to make my own hospital gowns (anyone have a pattern or suggestion?)

I am thinking of getting a toilet riser.

I am stocking up on books, (this is hard since i want to read them when I get them, will probably make a last minute trip to the used paperback place)

I am trying to stock up on contaners of Protein powder (any suggestions about favorites?)
Also Devrom http://www.devrom.com

but here is my question I guess, what else do you suggest?
I guess I will need to order ADEK since I dont seem able to find a supplier in Boise but what about other vitimins? What foods and the like would you suggest to have on hand for my recovery as well as my hospital stay.

I have been looking at recipes that are high protein or that I can add protein powder too like sf/ff pudding.

Sorry if this is a repeat question but I need to get this stuff now while i am still working.
SpookyXXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:04 AM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Well, what is your surgeon's recommended diet progression? How long will you be on liquids, purees, soft foods, etc.?

My suggestion: ask for an abdominal binder when you are in the hospital. It helped me tremendously to be able to more easily get up and walk around post-op.

I was on only liquids for 2 weeks when I left the hospital, so I was pretty much living on 2 protein shakes a day. I would make them to my liking - chocolate protein shake with peanut butter mixed in, vanilla protein shake with cream cheese mixed in, vanilla protein shake with frozen strawberries mixed in (wait a bit longer for this one since the strawberry seeds can be a nuisance on a healing tummy)...my Magic Bullet was fabulous for these.

I was also allowed yogurt on my liquids phase, so I had some plain greek yogurt and mixed in my own flavorings, normally seedless strawberry preserves. I was also allowed sf Jell-o, but they had given me some in the hospital, and it made me sick (twice!), so I didn't bother making any at home.

Honestly, immediately post-op, RNY and DS rules are usually just about the same. Once you're healed, you'll be able to eat more fat than with an RNY and slightly larger portions and all that good stuff, but while your sleeve is swollen and healing for the first month or two, just take it easy. A lot of patients find warm beverages help to relax, so you may want to have chicken boullion or broth on hand and decaf tea.

Your TOP PRIORITY immmediately post-op will be to stay hydrated. It sounds SO easy, but I can't tell you how many people end up dehydrated in the first few weeks - myself included! For protein, a general rule of thumb is to aim for 30g by 30 days out, 60g by 60 days, and 90+g by 90 days. So don't worry if you're not getting 100g protein daily right out of the gate.

Also, on the vitamins, you probably won't be able to take them all right away while you're healing. Stick with any medications you have at first, and worry about the vitamins later. You'll be fine even if you can't take any vitamins for the first month at all. If you're not comfortble with that, you can try the liquid Centrum for a while until you can handle pills (if you have trouble with the pills - I didn't, but many do early out). The combination ADEKs don't typically have enough of the 4 vitamins, so most people take them separately. You will likely have to order them online, as they should be in the "dry" form, which aren't typically found in stores.

I would keep some flushable baby wipes on hand (or Tucks, but the baby wipes are usually cheaper). Many have diarrhea right after surgery because, well, liquid in = liquid out! The moist wipes are more gentle on your tush than paper and can help soothe.

I've never tried Devrom, but, honestly, my smells haven't changed much. **** stinks, period. I do have some oil-based spray air fresheners (I get the little ones from Bed Bath & Beyond, the ones in the little metal cans) - the oil based ones are good because you can spray them IN the toilet before going, and they'll sort of coat the water and help keep the smells controlled.

Okay, I've gone on enough. If you have any other questions, ask away!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:48 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Jill pretty much said it all. What ever type of diet your going to be following after surgery, just make sure you have enough for about a week or so.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:24 AM   #4  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

one thing I found and have stocked up on and been storing in the deep freeze is Talapia from Walmart, I get it in 4 pound boxes of individually frozen 4 oz servings for under $12 on sale. I could probably buy it cheaper and section it myself but these are shrink wrapped and last forever.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:30 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyXXL View Post
one thing I found and have stocked up on and been storing in the deep freeze is Talapia from Walmart, I get it in 4 pound boxes of individually frozen 4 oz servings for under $12 on sale. I could probably buy it cheaper and section it myself but these are shrink wrapped and last forever.
Does your surgeon have you on real foods right away? Some do - just curious. If so, fish is a great source of both protein and good fats, and it's pretty soft, so it's a great choice. Fair warning, though - you probably won't be able to eat an entire 4oz serving in one sitting for quite some time, so I hope it's good reheated!
Old 05-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #6  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Does your surgeon have you on real foods right away? Some do - just curious. If so, fish is a great source of both protein and good fats, and it's pretty soft, so it's a great choice. Fair warning, though - you probably won't be able to eat an entire 4oz serving in one sitting for quite some time, so I hope it's good reheated!
Not sure I have been looking at the DS diet from Cornell http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery...._duod_swit.pdf which has you on softs for quite a while, I am sure my Dr will have something else or something similar planned but i wont know til July
Old 05-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

Who is your surgeon? Have you seen www.dsfacts.com? I am also going to PM you.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:16 PM   #8  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Who is your surgeon? Have you seen www.dsfacts.com? I am also going to PM you.
Thank you for the links I have been to OH but not the DS site, I will study them more
Old 06-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #9  
Sports Goddess

S/C/G: 265/120.2

Height: 5'4"

Weill Cornell had us on pureed for about 3-4 weeks as I remember. I ate tuna, scrambled eggs, egg salad, turkey (the tuna and turkey were put in blender). I also ate some yogurt and sf applesauce b/c my mom crushed the pills in there. Oh, and the amt. of protein they recommend is nice but not generally doable. Don't worry if you can't. I sure couldn't. Just sip, sip, sip and walk, walk, walk.

As for vitamins, I'd order the ADEK and some Vit. D3. I'd also get some calcium citrate. If you don't start on them the first week or so, you will by the end of the first month.

I've never had the powered protein so I can't help there. I drink one container of the premade 4 pack of Myloplex or Muscle Milk (nowadays about 1-2 month).

Last edited by AAAA; 06-01-2009 at 07:12 PM.
AAAA is offline   Reply With Quote