100 lb. Club - In the News today - Mike Tyson's Daughter injured




emmalee51
05-26-2009, 09:12 AM
from exercise equipment at home.

I must say this is a real wake up call for me this AM. I forever leaving my treadmill unfolded, plugged in. I may shut the door, but I KNOW my son can open said door. He has watched me more than once start the treadmill - I have even caught him trying to use it.

So for those of us that have equipment and little ones at home - Please be careful!


chickiegirl
05-26-2009, 09:13 AM
I heard just a bit about that last night. Something about finding her neck is some part of a treadmill. How awful!

raec
05-26-2009, 10:16 AM
I thought the same thing about my own treadmill and children. I think she became tangled in a cord that was looped under the display. That's what I read online anyway. I know mine has a long cord with magnet as an emergency stop. It's easily long enough to be wrapped around a child's neck.


emmalee51
05-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Mine too raec - I usually have it tied onto the handle bar with quite a bit hanging down in a loop - this is what has me bothered the most. An accident like this can happen to anyone!

TJFitnessDiva
05-26-2009, 10:45 AM
That is so sad. I hope she pulls through :( I keep my key to the treadmill on in of my drawers in my room...it's too dangerous to keep it attached!

momof5k
05-27-2009, 12:15 AM
I keep my key to the treadmill on in of my drawers in my room...it's too dangerous to keep it attached!

I do too but my teenager jammed something into to it so the key is no longer required! GRRR!

CLCSC145
05-27-2009, 01:02 AM
Poor little thing passed away tonight.

Rosinante
05-27-2009, 02:40 AM
That's beyond sad, what a tragedy for the family.

TraceyElaine
05-27-2009, 07:39 AM
OMG I read the story. It's heart breaking and frightening. When I first got my treadmill my son was only 3 (5 now) and I had the safety key in and it plugged in. I also had the back facing the wall. He hopped on and flipped it full blast. He fell against the wall and the belt scraped off skin from his arm and back. It only took a second and I can only imagine if I hadn't been right there. It was so scary. I now have a high spot to hang the key and it is in my basement gym where the children are never allowed to be. I now know how dangerous they can be. Children should not be allowed around them at least unless all the safety features are utalised.

Delphi
05-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Poor little thing passed away tonight.
I saw that this morning. What a horrible tragedy! I think the family decided to take her off life support and she passed. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

momof5k
05-27-2009, 09:17 AM
The confusing thing is it seems (if I am reading it right) that her neck got stuck in some cord coming from the console. It had nothing to do with it being turned on! So the safety key thing really had nothing to do with it...it was a completely freak accident.

SO sad...and SO scary :(

Momto2Ms
05-27-2009, 09:26 AM
That is absolutely heartbreaking. :(