Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-26-2009, 12:54 AM   #1  
sugar is the devil

Default Swiss Ball Prone Jackknife?

So, did my first work out of New Rules of Lifting for Women. Everything was fine...... until I got to the Prone Jackknife.

I CANNOT do this move! At all! First, I had trouble just getting my shins onto the ball. After that, the ball would just go FLYING. Once I was able to stabilize the ball just enough, I started bringing my knees in.... and there goes the ball once again! Well, once I did get my knees sorta to my chest, I noticed that my back was still flat. My hips would not go up, I can not get the diagonal position no matter how hard I tried! I pretty much just worn myself out trying to get proper technique that I couldn't try anymore...

Anyone have any tips on how to form that cruel diagonal position?

Last edited by SweetScrumptious; 05-26-2009 at 12:55 AM.
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:56 AM   #2  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah, welcome to my world. I too have problems with this. If you go to YouTube and google it you'll see some examples. But I still haven't got a sure fire way to do it. Coordination is not my strong suit. Good luck.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:00 AM   #3  
sugar is the devil

I did try some you tube videos but they make it seem so easy.

I'm someone currently without a lot of core strength (have never been able to do proper pushups, tonight was my best push ups ever!!!). Without the much needed core, this moves seems so impossible.

I think I just need to buy a ball and practice it at home in my own private space so I can fly off the ball as many times as I need to to get this move down and not look like a fool in front of other people.

I think my main problem is, just getting my hips up into the air to form the diagonal position. Gravity is definitely working against me and I can't stay on the ball long enough to find the strength to push those hips up.
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:28 AM   #4  
Mel

Learning these moves are based on a progression of strength and balance. start by holding a plank position on the ball (feet on ball, hands on floor) for as long as you can. gradually work until your feet are on the ball, not your shins. This will give you the ab strength and the balance. Then try the jackknife again. It should be easier.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote