20-Somethings - I get really painful blisters when I run!!

CatRocks
05-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Hey huys, just needing a bit of advice on running. I recently started running and i love it, I got fitted at a proper running shoe shop and such like but I'm getting the WORST blisters on the arches of my feet. Even after just 10 mins of running they are so so painful and end up with huge blisters which mean I cant run again for a few days. Then it happens all over again. Any idea what's going on and how I can stop it??
xx

rocketbunny
05-25-2009, 05:36 PM
I wonder if the shoe fits correctly? Also, what material are your running socks made of?

A temporary stopgap measure may be to put moleskin (basically felt with a sticky back on it, I used DrScholls brand) on your feet where you know you tend to get blisters. This layer of fabric rubs instead of your skin, meaning that no blisters will form (I use it all the time when hiking or breaking in new shoes).

CatRocks
05-25-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm sure the shoes fits correctly...they were fitted by a proper shoe fitter man...
What material should running socks be?
x

Jennelle
05-25-2009, 05:50 PM
I don't run, but I've done marathon-type walks for charity. The best way to avoid blisters is to wear socks of NON-natural material. It sounds counterintuitive, but cotton socks are the worst offenders when it comes to blisters. They absorb the moisture from sweat and then rub, causing friction. Try nylon socks, or wearing your regular socks over a pair of knee-high nylon stockings. You can also slather your feet with Vaseline (petroleum jelly - I don't know what the brand name would be in Scotland), but it's really squishy and takes some getting used to!

Iconised Ghost
05-25-2009, 06:27 PM
i was going to suggest vaseline as well, ive never used it on running shoes but i dont see why it wouldnt work the same. I put it on the shoes rather than feet, but it probably doesnt matter

Lachelle
05-25-2009, 06:28 PM
I would also go back to the shoe store and get fitted again, by a different person. It might have been that guy's first day on the job or something. You never know.

beerab
05-25-2009, 07:26 PM
I have to agree blisters can be caused by shoes being too small... Might want to get refitted- specially if you have never had this problem before.

Here's a great site with some helpful tips.

http://www.mamashealth.com/run/blister.asp

But it also says shoe size can be a factor.

aneleh
05-25-2009, 07:27 PM
If you got them from a running store and got fitted properly then they should be able to let you return them even if worn before 30days. Maybe try another shoe? It could be a very subtle change that makes a huge difference. The socks to wear are 'dri-fit' or other moisture wicking synthetic materials.

MariaMaria
05-25-2009, 08:03 PM
Any socks made specifically for running would be okay. I like Thorlos, lots of people like dri-wool or smart-wool, lots of people like, as above, dri-anything. What all these have in common is that they're not cotton and they don't feel damp on your feet as your feet sweat.