LA Weight Loss - How are you choosing your goal weight?

StringBean
05-24-2009, 12:22 PM
How do people determine what their goal weight should be? I've chosen 135 because that's what I weighed when I was in uni and about the only time in my life when I felt comfortable in my own skin. Of course, I would love to be in the 120s, but I also want a realistic goal weight, and since I did weigh 135 once upon a time, hopefully I can reach that weight again. Looking at other people's goal weights who are the same height as me has been a bit confusing as the range seems to be 110-180.

Stella
05-24-2009, 01:06 PM
In the past, I looked good at 54-56kg, so that`s what I want to achieve again. I also looked good at 52kg, but I had to starve for it, so 54kg is absolutely fine, with 2kg "space" for holidays, etc. It`s also a healthy BMI range and a nice dress size.

beerab
05-24-2009, 02:17 PM
For me I looked at BMI and it says I should be like 115-135, but I don't think that's gonna happen and for now I've chosen 140 cuz when I was 150 I liked my body- I figure once I get to that area I can always re-evaluate my goal.

Rosinante
05-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Last time I tried to get to 120 and made it to 136 before bouncing back. This time I'm aiming for 135 so I can better the last attempt. When I get there, I'll re-evaluate. I would still like to get to 120, so I can say I've lost half my body weight, but thin thin thin isn't everything, and I know that around the high 130s my face started to look quite thin, so I'd settle for 135 but toned. I so want an hour-glass!

Luckybustert
05-24-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm also aiming for 135. I'm 5'1" and, going on the theory of 100 lbs for the first 5' and 5 lbs for every inch thereafter, I used to aim for 105 and then feel down on myself for not reaching that goal. But the thing is that I really don't look good at 105 -- I look too thin and my face is very drawn -- and I do look good at about 135. So I've set that as my initial goal and we'll see how it's all distributed when I get there. When I reach 135, I can always reevaluate and set new goals (if warranted) based on how I look and feel at that time.

Qualera
05-24-2009, 03:33 PM
I picked 135 based on BMI and the fact that I have a small frame size. In the past when I've mentioned this goal my mom said it was too low. I'm not wed to the number though. I was a size 12 at 165 and that would be fine with me. But at 165 I still had too much weight around my middle, still anything in the 100s would be a vast improvement over now.

ValRock
05-24-2009, 04:43 PM
I got to 160 before I got pregnant with my daughter and was happy at that weight. I was 257 when my pregnancy weight calmed down and I got serious about losing weight. I'd love to say I've lost 100 lbs TWICE in my life. Yeah I'm a weirdo and I just gain tons of weight while pregnant and nursing.

vertigoskyy
05-24-2009, 05:16 PM
I chose mine because it was my lowest weight years ago & it's within the normal range for my height.

rocketbunny
05-24-2009, 05:52 PM
My goal weight is set at the high side of the "normal" BMI range for my height. I also feel that it *looks* attainable.

Once I get there, I intend to adjust downward to the mid range of healthy BMI, but that is so far away at this point that I try not to think about it and just focus on my mini goals.

HisSweetGypsyRose
05-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Right now I'm just aiming for a weight that feels doable. I haven't seen 165 in well over 15 years, so that alone will be a huge accomplishment.

Once I get to 165 I'll reevaluate my goals.

Windchime
05-24-2009, 07:19 PM
I'm shooting for 180, which is *barely* out of the "overweight" range into normal. It's also the weight I was after I had my last baby (almost 22 years ago, accck). So it's a good goal for now. I will re-evaluate when I get there; I may stay there or I may decide to go lower. It really depends on how I look and how difficult it is to maintain.

sawa1210
05-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Some calculator I did said my goal weight should be between 132-162, so I set my goal for 150 but really, I'm going 1 pound at a time. I'm also 5'7 and remember weighing 115 in the 6th grade so I'm not setting any hopes that I'll weigh 132. When I reach 162 I might reaccess the situation and see if I even want to lose any more weight. Some people say I'm lucky because I carry my weight really well but that's how I got in this situation in the first place. I wear a size 12 and am 185-188 right now... so that should tell ya something!

LandonsBaby
05-24-2009, 10:42 PM
Mine is really just a number to shoot for right now. It's not really my goal. I would like bf% in the 18-20% range (16% would be fun too...but...yeah, right!).

Mahina Lani
05-25-2009, 02:52 PM
150 was my weight about 6 years ago.
I just remember feeling comfortable, happy with myself and able to fit into a clothing size that I wasn't embarrassed by.

Thighs Be Gone
05-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Stringbean, I have had to adjust as time has gone on. I am currently 132.5. I am very comfortable eating and exercising exactly how I am right now. I would comfortably like to lose another 5 pounds and stay there. If it doesn't happen, I have made peace with it already. The important thing is for me to attain health and sustain it. You can do this. I am a calorie counter and rule nothing out. I do indulge from time to time but because I use my calorie allotment for the foods my body needs (rather than wants) I don't have too much wiggle room.

Anyway, I am one PM away. I am glad you are here.

p.s. Congratulations your success thus far. I bet you already look and feel amazing.

AniDan
05-25-2009, 08:34 PM
I chose my goal of 140 from an ideal weight calculation for a medium frame. The full range was 133-147. It seemed realistic for me and where I want to be. I may reassess for the lower end of the range once I get there.

diary
05-25-2009, 08:50 PM
I chose mine because 145 is the high end of normal for my height range on the BMI scale.

My ideal wt, according to another calculation is 125... but I have not been that wt since college...and don;t think it is realistic for me, esp being a large framed woman.

VermontMom
05-25-2009, 09:03 PM
I chose 150 because that is supposedly no longer 'overweight' for my height and frame. But that is just a temporary goal, I really think I could get smaller and more compact with less fat and more muscle. I would love to be an easy size 8, a sometimes 6 :D

firefliesandpixies
05-27-2009, 02:27 PM
I chose 150 because I haven't been that in years (10 maybe?) and I remember feeling good then...I could easily fit into size 10 jeans and wear M shirts even though I'm busty :D. I'll re-evaluate once I'm there. I'm not built to be a super skinny girl...I have curves that just don't want to stop so I've learned to embrace them over the years. I could weigh 100lbs soaking wet and still have a belly!

I weighed ~ 135 when I was 21. Not thin but definitely not fat....except I sure thought I was fat! I look back at pictures now and damn I looked amazing if I do say so myself! I'd love to get back to that but for now, will settle on what I feel *is* doable given I'm now 18 years old and have had 3 children :D.

CeeCee1982
05-27-2009, 07:55 PM
I have several mini goals (10% at a time), then my ultimate goal is to be under 200 lbs so my ultimate is 199 and a healthy bmi (to not be considered overweight) was around 197 so close enough :)

kelly315
05-27-2009, 08:13 PM
My original goal was 188- partly because that is 100 pounds lost, and because that's as low as I've been for about 5 years. Now that I'm pretty close to it, I lowered my goal to what would be a healthy BMI (plus, it's exactly 1/2 of what I used to weigh!)

WormwoodDoll
05-27-2009, 10:04 PM
I cannot remember being under 200lbs. At least in the last 6 years. But a friend of mine who is 5'2" has a similar body type as me. She is short, big hips/thighs/curvy, with a small bust. She was perfect at 130. She weighs about 180 right now, and I'm around 200. We're almost the same size now, so I kind of figured 140 would be good for me. I don't want to be real thin. Just healthy and curvy. My first goal was 160. Then I went to 150. But 140 is the higher healthy weight for my height. I may go to 130. We'll see!

Lady from Joppa
05-28-2009, 04:41 PM
I choose 150 because it was in the middle of what those ideal weight charts said I should be. I haven't been that small since high school. I think I will be able to tell as I get closer to that weight when I will stop losing and starting maintaining instead.

L R K
05-28-2009, 04:44 PM
I did some research online to see what weight was in the normal range for my age, body size and height and then picked something I felt comfortable with. :dance:

thinpossible
05-28-2009, 05:30 PM
According to my BMI I'll be at a normal weight at 119. According to insurance tables, my weight should be 118-131, because I have a large frame. At 118 I'll have lost an even hundred pounds, so that's what I'm shooting for. We'll see how I feel as I get closer.

BeautyandtheBeast
05-29-2009, 09:33 AM
I picked 133lb because I've been in the 140 range many times and I'm still fairly chubby and on my BMI chart 133 is very healthy - I think it would be a good size which makes me look healthy and fit but not very thin as I really like my curves. But once I get to 133 I might try for a bit lower though that all depends. :)

susiemartin
05-31-2009, 07:37 PM
I picked 170 because I think it's achievable.

I may change my goal once I get there :D

huggamouse
06-01-2009, 01:22 AM
I chose 140 because that's the BMI i have to have to be normal, i.e. the time when my doctor will stop harrassing me about my weight.

Unfortunately I don't see that happening because I have a tendency to pack muscle in my legs, which contributes massively to my weight, so I'm aiming for a lower body fat ratio.

Cebsme
06-01-2009, 09:14 AM
My doctor has always told me the Idea weight charts dont take into factor a lot of things like frame size. I have weighed in the past what the lowest idea weight is for my height and I looked way too thin. So I picked something I am comfortable with. I know I look good at my main goal weight (bottom ticker) and I know that I can always reevaluate when I get there.

ICUwishing
06-01-2009, 03:03 PM
When I started, I shot for 139. I was 145 a day after my son was born (almost 10 years ago) at the age of 32. But once I got back close to 160 and in better shape due to exercise, I was kind of liking my shape for the first time in literally, decades. I'm not going to get to the 13% body fat 150lbs that I had 25 years ago ... but I still think I can make 150 look pretty darn OK. Of course, I reserve the right to move the target again once I get there!

ladyrider72472
06-01-2009, 03:19 PM
My original goal was 180..... but the charts say the highest I should weigh at my height is 174. I am starting boot camp today (fitness not military) so, I am hoping that I will get to 180 by my birthday (6 weeks away) and I will determine the better goal for me then. Right now it is 180 though.

LittleMoonRabbit
06-01-2009, 03:40 PM
I decided to compromise... I wanted 125, but I have a big frame and both my husband and my mom said they think that's just too low for my body type. The very top of the healthy weight for my height is 135... so I decided 130 was a good place to shoot for. The lowest I have been since 4th grade has been 135 (I was a freshman in high school) and I looked pretty good... but I was very "skinny fat"... meaning I was flabby and out of shape, so I looked bigger. Now I am in good shape, so I think 130 will fit my body well. However, I will play it by ear, and adjust as I go...

kiramira
06-01-2009, 03:51 PM
I just kind of pulled the figure out of thin air! It is in the middle of the healthy BMI range, but I have no idea if this is attainable or will look good. The best I ever looked was when I was in great shape at 19 years old and 143 lbs (size 6-8!) ...We shall see what we shall see...

Kira

moonshine456
06-03-2009, 01:36 AM
I picked 120 because it's ten pounds less than the lowest I can remember being, and it makes me feel more motivated since it's so far away!

PinkyPie
06-03-2009, 02:03 AM
My WW goal weight is 70kg. I'll be happy to see 79 and then go from there. I am going for realistic and sustainable and technically 70 is right at the edge of normal and overweight and the numbers tell me I *should* be 65-68 but at the age of 40 I'm not sure its attainable.

kim83
06-06-2009, 10:42 AM
I picked 150 because it seems reachable to me. I'll have to lose 156 pounds to get there. Once I'm at 150, if I feel like I want to lose more, I'll lose more.

mizmizzy
06-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Well my first mini goal is the lowest weight I got to in the past several years (got down to 147 lbs 3 summers ago only to eventually regain) and my regret is not continuing to lose more at that point and keep it off. But I did feel alot better about myself at that weight so thats my first goal. After that its all based on wanting to have a healthy amount of body fat and a more healthy weight for someone of my height. I know that going into the the 130's would mean basically going back to where I was in the 10th grade but hey why the **** can't I do it? lol And if I just happen to somehow ever make it to my ultimate goal of 125 I will feel like a million bucks and I dont think words will describe! :) To me thats just the perfect weight for someone of my height.

zinkemomx2
06-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Right now my goal weight is around 183 pounds.

I originally picked 153 pounds as being the high end of normal per the BMI charts. Then one day a bunch of us were talking about body fat % and I figured mine out. 153 pounds puts me at a VERY unhealthy bf% because I have so much lean mass right now. 183 pounds is the high end of normal based on body fat %.

My lowest adult weight that I can remember since high school has been 230.5 during my first few weeks of pregnancy. At that weight I was an 18-20W and that is unacceptable. Right now at 233 pounds I am a 22W thanks to having twins. Once I get firmly into a 16 Junior/Misses I will reevaluate. Ideally I would like to be a size 10. At that size I don't care what I weigh. :)

LuvMyMr
06-06-2009, 10:24 PM
I decided mine because it's what I was years ago and I know how I looked and felt. I never want to be skinny, just not as large as I was. At my goal weight I am slim and healthy and very happy. :)

megwini
06-08-2009, 09:37 AM
The one time I was at 160 I still felt fat, since I carry all my fat around my middle, not spread out, and I also have a small frame, so I thought 145 would be perfect. It's the high end healthy weight for a small frame at my height, and the low end healthy weight for a medium frame.

penmage
06-08-2009, 11:54 AM
My goal weight (135) is what I weighed the day I met my now-fiance, so I'd like to get back down to that, then maybe a little lower, around 128-130.

glutio
06-08-2009, 11:58 AM
My goal weight is phase 1 for me. It's 100 pounds from where I am now, and a weight I can still remember being for a while in college. Ideally, I'd like to be lower than that, but just getting there will be a HUGE step.

Fressca
06-08-2009, 12:03 PM
I originally picked 140, because that's a weight I sustained for a long time and felt okay at. I changed it to 150 because the weight is coming off SO SLOWLY and I didn't want to discourage myself. 140 was starting to look like an impossible dream (but I haven't completely ruled it out ;) ).

Cali Doll
07-08-2009, 01:30 PM
My goal weight is set at the high side of the "normal" BMI range for my height. I also feel that it *looks* attainable.

I second this!

160 is my goal and that is the high end of my healthy weight range (for my height of 5'8"). I don't like uber skinny anyway so I think this will work for me. Of course, when I get there, I'll re-evaluate and determine if I like what i see.

splitsun
07-13-2009, 09:27 AM
I choose one 150 based on it being a realistic expectation. Once i get there, i will re-evaluate my bmi, body structure and personal self expectations and go from there.

Ashley82290
07-13-2009, 12:06 PM
I want to weigh between 120-125 or 127. It all depends on how I look. Right now I am at 143. I was at 151 in November, then went down to 137 on Special K, then back up to 144 from February-now. I remember being 120 pounds or so in 7th grade and even then I was a bit chubby.

jelder227
07-13-2009, 03:31 PM
LOL - a mix - and just revised it. Back when I was 25 or so I got down to 145. I looked good, but still needed to lose some. A fair amount actually. My goal weight with NutriSystem was 128 - and they agreed that given my small frame that was probably about right in spite of my height. So given that I'm over 40 now (how did THAT happen?), I figured about 135 now.

Then I joined this forum, and saw "Thighs Be Gone" - very inspirational! Not much younger than me, and very close to my height. And she's in the low 130's, shooting for 120's. Well - back to the 128.

Then I thought about it. 128 is too close to the 130. So I slipped down to 126 - that's far enough below the 130 mark to set 130 as a "panic button" weight for me when I go on maintenance.

But like everything - we'll see how it goes. I don't want to get too thin either. So if I look great at 134, or 144 (don't think this will happen), I'll stop there. And be glad I got done sooner!

Synesthetes
07-13-2009, 03:39 PM
I chose my goal weight based on BMI.
I want my BMI to be somewhere very close to 20 but if while I'm losing weight, I feel good and happy with how I look, then I may revise my goal.
:)

Pnut Butter
07-15-2009, 04:27 PM
I would go by BMI. I'm 5'7 and feel 135-140 would suit me best. But I also base a little bit of it on my sister since we are the exact same body shape, she's just the thin one. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable StringBean. People are gonna say 'you look great' but it's not til you believe it that it'll matter. Do what makes YOU happy, without going overboard. good luck ladies!

EmmaD
07-15-2009, 05:23 PM
The range in weights is funny, isn't it? I also noticed a huge range for people 5'6"... I have no doubt that a more athletic person, or bigger-boned person, could look great at my starting weight. BUT I have to say, I look *horrible* @ 152!!! Extremely big (pregnant-looking) belly, squeeeeeeeeezing into 10s and 12s and just an overall unattractive shape. A poster above said she carries her weight well and I am the opposite - gaining 15-20 lbs completely changed my body type and is really noticeable... but my sister, just an inch taller, gained 30 lbs and I couldn't even tell.

I had my body fat tested and the result was "poor" @ 34%. So that's a huge part of it - how much fat your body has and how large/small boned you are (I'm definitely on the small side).

I chose 130 as a weight where I might fit in all my clothes from a couple of years ago (also, I was around that weight when I got married and look pretty darn good in the photos). Anyway, I am excited to see where I end up and I'm not focusing on the number so much. Don't get me wrong - I love to see it go down! But it seems like I have less and less say about where my body wants to end up as I get older...

Best of luck!!

Elladorine
07-15-2009, 05:37 PM
The lowest weight I've ever been at as an adult was around 220 pounds. I was still overweight of course, but felt absolutely fabulous there.

After looking at what my BMI could be and through what a few doctors have told me, I've settled on a goal weight of 150. I imagine that may change as I approach it, but with my height and build anything less might feel unrealistic for me.