Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-24-2009, 08:26 AM   #1  
I wish!

S/C/G: 185/136/135

Height: 5'6''

Default Newbie calorie counter

Hello,

I found this site while researching different diets. It is such a great site and has really inspired me to keep on track.

Some quick information about me: I'm 30 and married. My whole life I have been on the wrong side of 'normal' in the weight department. I have always been very active, but I do love my food (especially all things carbs and all things sweet). Also, I'm a terrible night snacker. This past Xmas, I decided to leap on my parents' brand new scale since I hadn't weighed myself in years, and nearly passed out in horror as the numbers kept going up and up. I think I must have been in shock/denial, because I didn't do anything until about mid-Feb when after much research I decided calorie counting would be the best diet for me. Since my two jobs and my hobby require me to be outside and active, AND I live on the family working farm, exercise has never been an issue, so I had to adjust my calorie intake.

I started out by cutting my calories to 1400-1500 a day and steadily lost about 2 pounds per week until I hit 170 and then plateaued for a few weeks. I then cut my calories to about 1300 a day and started losing weight until I hit 160 (what is it about round numbers?!) and plateaued even longer. I've now gone down to 1200 a day and have managed to lose 2 pounds in the last week, but it's definately getting harder to shift the weight and I'm beginning to notice that I'm getting tired more quickly. My worry is that to get down to my goal weight, I'll eventually be on negative calories. I realise that I must have the metabolism of a hibernating bear!

Anyone else in my situation? Any advice would be greatly appriciated. Sorry about the long post!
StringBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi Stringbean, welcome!! Let me ask you, you said that you have always been active, are you still? Are you exercising regularly? Also, you love carbs, so are you still eating high-carb foods but smaller portions of them, or have you switched to low-carb foods? Finally, how much water are you drinking each day? If you are getting tired more quickly, you may not be taking in enough calories, especially if you are exercising regularly. And not drinking enough water can not only make you feel tired, but it can also cause you to hold onto pounds. Finally, if you are still eating high-carb foods, your body may not be processing them well, which could also be causing you not to lose weight easily. However, if you have all these things in order, it could just be that the closer you get to your goal weight, the more the speed of your metabolism will attempt to match the number of calories you consume. That's a pretty natural process. If I were you, I would try the opposite approach of what you're doing and up your calories for a couple of weeks to try to shake up your metabolism. I've read that that will often get you past a plateau. Good luck!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #3  

Hi StringBean and

I am very sensitive to the carbs and sugars....they seem to set off uncontrollable cravings if I don't cut way back on them. I find by eating a diet that is higher in protein and contains a reasonable amount of healthy carbs (vegetables, whole grains, lower-carb fruits), I feel so much better.

Don't cut your calories too low or you'll throw yourself into starvation mode and your body will fight giving up the extra weight every step of the way. Also make sure you get plenty of fluids and enough sleep. Both are very helpful to achieving your weight loss goals.
Luckybustert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #4  
I wish!

S/C/G: 185/136/135

Height: 5'6''

Thank you both for your help and good advice. I think I am probably not drinking enough water. I have drastically cut down the about of carbs I consume and no sweets (except for the occational treat). I am still really active, so I don't want to cut my calories too low, but I may try upping them a bit to jump start my metabolism. Thank you again for your help!!
StringBean is offline   Reply With Quote