100 lb. Club - To announce your weight loss goal or not?

CLCSC145
05-24-2009, 12:21 AM
I read an interesting article a few weeks ago that has really stuck in my head. It talked about a study that looked at who was more successful in accomplishing a goal, the person who announces what they are doing to family and friends or the one who keeps quiet and just does the work to make it happen?

Here's the article (http://www.newsweek.com/id/197006) in Newsweek. While it doesn't mention weight loss, personally it's the biggest goal I've ever attempted and I think fits within the framework of the study.

Here's a quote from the article, "Traditional thinking has held that it's best to make a public declaration, maybe even more than one. Enlisting others in your hopes will shore up your intentions, and motivate you to work toward your new-found goal. But is this folk wisdom sound? Psychologists have been exploring this question, and some recent studies are now raising doubts about the "going public" strategy. Indeed, it appears that some people may mistake the talking for the doing—and end up failing for lack of hard work."

What do you think? Have you announced your intentions to your family and friends or kept it private? Do you think your decision has helped you or not?

cfmama
05-24-2009, 12:40 AM
I've told everyone I'm losing weight. I've told everyone my goal is 150. I've told VERY FEW how much I have to lose ;) lol!!! Does it help keep me accountable? Meh... not really. I keep me accountable.

Windchime
05-24-2009, 12:52 AM
The only people who know how much I want to lose are my fellow posters on 3FC. A couple of my family members have noticed that I've lost a little but nobody has asked how much I want to lose, how much I weigh, etc.

My plan is to keep it to myself (except for you all here, of course). Once I reach the stage (please, God) where people are saying, "You shouldn't lose any more", then I will just start telling them that I'm not. I don't want to have to reason and debate my weight with my family.

I've never subscribed to the "public accountability" theory. I know it works for some people, but it just makes me feel resentful and stressed out for some reason. I like being accountable to only me; after all, I'm the one living in this body so it's really no one else's business! I know other people feel differently, but this is what works for me.

momof5k
05-24-2009, 12:58 AM
I am the same. I have told no one how much I have lost or how much I plan to lose but you all here.

My immediate family and a few close friends know that I am "dieting" but that is all.

Right now, I am just really waiting for someone...ANYONE...to say "Have you lost weight?" or something that acknowledges that somebody noticed.

utgirl09
05-24-2009, 02:14 AM
I cannot hide the fact that I am watching what I eat and exercising from my family, so they know I am trying to get healthier. My sister and sister in law both lost about 50 lbs each a few years ago, one was quiet about it, the other talked about it all the time. I don't talk about the changes I have made, I just do them. One thing I am telling no one is that I have a goal of running the half marathon next spring. I have a way to go, but I have ten months to get there and get fit, and although no one would say it out loud, I don't want people thinking "Yeah, like YOU can run 13 miles." This forum gets me the support I need, so I don't need to annouce my goals to my family and friends.

Thighs Be Gone
05-24-2009, 02:37 AM
I never told anyone my goal--it has been adjusted so many times I didn't know it myself actually. I rarely discuss weight outside of 3FC. I have a couple of very fit friends and we do discuss measurements and sizes and recipes. But in general, it's rare.

nineteen
05-24-2009, 02:55 AM
I kept it to myself. I think that worked better for me.

divinechaos
05-24-2009, 03:26 AM
I've told pretty much any of my friends/family I've talked to recently. It doesn't make a difference for me whether I tell someone or keep it to myself. Either way it depends on me whether I succeed or fail

Rosinante
05-24-2009, 03:38 AM
I've told no-one and no-one has noticed yet. At least when they do I'll know it's genuine, and not just trying to be nice.

In the past when I've told people, I've just been endlessly frustrated by ignorant comments about 'you shouldn't be eating that' by people who have no idea how calorie counting/portion control works.

I've ended up inadvertently telling one friend, in that I told him I was asking the doctor to reduce my bp meds since I'd lost nearly 3 stone since this level was prescribed - but either he wan't listening or is too tactful to mention it.

Telling people, especially naming a target, just sets me up mentally for failure.
Having a glorious site like this to talk about it on is completely different!!!!! \o/

Qualera
05-24-2009, 03:54 AM
My husband knows my goal, but no one else.

My family and friends know that I am trying to lose weight and eat healthier, but not anything more specific than that.

In the past when I have mentioned a goal, people sometimes tell me that my goal is too low and I'll look terrible if I get there. I don't think 135 at 5'8" with a small frame is unreasonable though. But I am not wed to a number anyway. I just picked a number I thought sounded reasonable. If I'm happy and fit at 150, so be it. That's where I'll stop. This is all assuming I can get there of course.

So no numeric goals to anyone but my husband who understands me well enough to know my true goal is to be healthy, and that my "goal" weight is just a guideline. I get discouraged too easily by criticism otherwise.

Meg
05-24-2009, 06:20 AM
I didn't tell anyone that I was trying to lose weight. I had publicly announced it -- and publicly failed -- so many times that I was too embarrassed to make the grand announcement once again. This time I was determined to let my actions do the talking for me.

My family really never noticed anything because I kept on preparing the same meals for them as always. I just changed how I was eating, but no one paid any attention. My problem always had been secret eating, so nothing much changed on the surface.

It took DH about three months to notice that my body was changing. He just made an off-hand remark that I was smaller when he hugged me.

I did finally speak up when I had lost 100 pounds, though. DH and I were eating dinner and I said "I've lost 100 pounds!" DH looked up, mildly puzzled, peered at me through his glasses, and said "Really?" That was that. :rofl: I was fine with it because he always looked at me with eyes of love and never saw my size, big or small. So I never really changed to him.

My weight still isn't something I like to talk about with people outside of 3FC. I hate being congratulated for losing weight. I never should have let it get out of hand and I only did what necessary to fix the problem. Fortunately, the kudos are long since gone. Anyone who knew me heavy is used to me at my new weight and assumes it just magically stays off.

So I guess I took the private road while losing weight and still do. Except for here!

Lynn160
05-24-2009, 08:03 AM
I told my co worker. We work in administration at a school. Parents and kids are always bringing by goodies for us. Kid's birthday cupcakes, etc. She helps me run interference when a little child wants to know why I don't want a cupcake from their birthday party. Many times I take the cupcake and tell them I just had a snack but it will be enjoyed later. (Which is true because my six year old son enjoys it when he gets out of class and comes to my office :D)

Anyway, others have started noticing that I am losing. If they ask and I tell them I am watching calories and exercising but don't go into all the details about my goals. I want my actions and results to speak for themselves.

JayEll
05-24-2009, 08:24 AM
No, I didn't announce anything about it. And I didn't and don't reveal how much I I've lost when people ask. I have told my closest friends and S/O, but basically I figure it's no one's business except mine.

I don't care to be defined by my weight or my loss. I've heard stories on 3FC of someone being introduced by a friend as "This is my friend X and she's lost over 100 pounds!!" :yikes: Now is that the kind of introduction one wants to new people? I sure don't.

Jay

susiemartin
05-24-2009, 08:43 AM
People around me know that I'm trying to lose weight. I've told no one except for you folks what my "goal" is.

I don't want to set myself up for another "failed" attempt. No to mention I don't think most people really care....:)

LookingForMeAgain
05-24-2009, 09:03 AM
I told my mom I was starting fat smash to help with my autoimmune disease and to lose some weight. She got on my last nerves trying to tempt me with things and constantly asking "Are you all still on that diet" I mean hello Im nearly 300 lbs AND Im doing it for health reasons so yea you should think 2 weeks later Id still be on it. I fall off the wagon a lot at her house. So Ive let her believe weve stopped. And I will not be mentioning it to her again.
Ohhh and she NEVER has anything nice to say an after I told her I lost 10lbs on the phone she grabs my pants and yanks on em and says yea your coming down there. It was sooooooooooooooo FAKE.

And like many here Ive declared it and not done it so many times I feel like Im crying wolfe. So I will be doing it quietly.
I kinda wish I could do it without my husband b/c he gets competitive and he watches what I eat and that bugs me. He honestly doesnt see me as big as I am but he sees his own weight gain and he pushes his ideas of perfection onto me. Hes one of those people you should do everything he does and like evrything he does and hate everything he does. He doesnt get that everyone is very different and thats okay to be different.

PinkyPie
05-24-2009, 09:08 AM
I have not publicly announced my goal, but EVERYONE notices (at work anyway) that I am eating more healthily, that I always turn down cake or treats and that my jeans are sliding off my arse. I also have a little "contest" with a friend and colleague that I will be more fit than he is by the 1st day of summer :lol: It's silly because 1) how will we define "fit" and 2) he's a guy, he'll lose weight faster than me anyway (if that's how one defines "fit"). But it keeps both of us in check anyway. I have another colleague who is a runner and he's been giving me tips and encouraging me to keep up the good work on the C25K program.

I never really announced that I was working the WW program or losing weight but people just notice, mostly because the first bit of weight seems to come off my face and arse first. I am not thrilled when someone says to me "MY GOD you've lost TONS of weight!" - as if I was an absolute house before and, in fact, 5KG is NOT "tons". But I am working on accepting the compliment and trying to move the conversation along so it's not only about my weight.

I do much better when people know because I'm one of those really stubborn determined people that if I say it, I will do it, just to "prove" to others I can. My contest friend and I (and some others) went out for drinks the other night - I planned for drinks, but not anything to eat at the pub so I brought sandwiches for my dinner. He said to me at lunch "Once you see that beautiful chicken pie, you're going to give in!" It's things like this that actually KEEP me in line. And you know what? They waited for me at the pub to order dinner! He really didn't think I could pass on it, but I DID! Ha!

sorry if I got off track a bit - for me announcing it actually helps me more than keeping it private.

Mikayla
05-24-2009, 12:41 PM
I told everyone that is close to me. Now it's obvious that I'm losing weight and I eat so differently that the people I'm around the most can really tell a difference. I talk about losing weight with my mom and my best friend all the time. My mom lost over 100lbs years ago and she can relate.

I used to love eating with my best friend so she really notices a big big change in me. So when she makes comments I tell her my goals and what I'm doing to achieve them.

Now when my MIL asked how my weight loss was going, she asked what my goal was and I told her I wanted to be 135lbs and hopefully fit into a size 8 or smaller. She went off on me saying that for someone like me(a person who has been overweight/obese all their lives) my goal was unrealistic and I was going to be crushed when I wasn't CAPABLE of reaching my goal. So we don't talk about my weight loss much now and I am careful bout who I tell what.

H8cake
05-24-2009, 02:03 PM
I didn't tell anyone. My husband and kids knew because I started cooking much healthier meals and focusing on portion control. I didn't want to talk about it with anyone. I knew I was going to do it and I figured everyone would notice eventually. I didn't want to discuss it until I had to. I worried that it was a bad thing not telling anyone, that maybe the accountability would help. I'm really glad I didn't tell anyone though. It was a very personal journey for me, and I was kind of protective of it. That might sound strange, but it worked for me.

Stella
05-24-2009, 02:18 PM
I have often publicised to everyone that I was going to lose weight and then did not. I heard others announcing it and nothing happened.

I now only have told my husband (because he needs to know what I will and won`t eat) and not anyone else. I have devised myself a program which does not make it noticeable that I eat "diet food". I also told my sister abroad who is dieting, too, and we want to support each other.

At work and to friends, I have not said anything. When someone says anything I will now that they mean it and don`t just say it because they know I`m trying. This will be worth so much more!

Also, there are "friends" who keep discouraging me from trying to lose weight, and I never have in the end, which they may have been relieved about. One day, I want to surprise them but appearing slim and *not* having involved them. And if they then say something I will openly say why. (Actually, the ***** inside me would quite like their looks...)

WhitePicketFences
05-24-2009, 03:02 PM
I've gone at it privately, except for my husband, who knows ALL about it, and my mother, who noticed over the holidays and then went on a diet as well (she's lost 28 lbs so far).

Anyway, joining 3fc was a different way for me to be able to talk about all these things, these things that are such a big part of my life now. I have a lot of obese relatives who are always famously on a diet, and I suppose part of it that I've been too embarrassed to say I was, too.

And yes, it is different when people notice all on their own. I've visited our relatives twice since starting this journey. First time I was almost 40 lbs down and only 2 people out of dozens noticed (one of these people noticed I was eating healthier; another one said, after several days and in the middle of talking, "hey, you look like you've lost some weight ...?"

Recently, at 70 lbs down, it was the first thing out of their mouths when they saw me. "Wow, you lost a lot of weight, you look great" etc.

This tells me that their reactions this last time were genuine. I also realize that these same people -- who didn't notice my 35-40 lbs weight loss until it was 70-75 lbs lost -- didn't 'really' notice the 25 and 50 lbs losses of people bigger than I, who announced it and were promptly told that wow, they looked great. I didn't want that, you know?

Jennelle
05-24-2009, 03:17 PM
I've kept it to myself because, like many of you have already said, I've gained and lost and gained so many times that I didn't want to be embarassed by a public declaration.

Now, if people notice and say something, I'll acknowledge that I've lost weight. If they ask me how I'm losing it, I'll tell them that I'm doing WW Online and answer whatever questions come with that. So far, I've not had anyone ask me how much I've lost, just a few "Wow - you're losing weight" comments.

Of course, hubby knows. He is embroiled in his own weight loss struggle, though, and we really don't talk about it much. I don't want him to think I'm nagging or bragging - two things I ABSOLUTELY HATE from people close to me! (I do all my bragging here! :lol: )

StarCarly
05-24-2009, 03:44 PM
My parents know about my plans, and my mom always asks me about it after my daily weigh-in. Our weight issues are something that we can both relate to, so we talk about it a lot.

I haven't told any of my close friends. Last summer when I lost 30 lbs they were the ones telling me how good I looked, so I want to see if that happens again this time. I work at a restaurant that cooks a lot of greasy, cheesy, delicious food and my co-workers think I'm crazy for not eating it everyday like I used to. I just explain that I'm eating healthier and leave it at that.

Telling my parents about my goals helps me because my mom is now starting to count calories with me, and avoid buying junk food for the house.

chickiegirl
05-24-2009, 11:10 PM
I've told my mother, boyfriend and everyone at 3FCs what I'm doing. No need to broadcast it wider for me.

Even just telling who I did was a big thing, because I'm so used to trying and failing and they're so used to hearing it that it really wasn't that uplifting usually to tell them in the first place.

This time I told my mom I needed lots of encouragement and she's delivering!

CLCSC145
05-25-2009, 01:43 AM
I generally keep quiet because of the embarrassment of having tried and failed so often before. It's nice to know a scientific study is backing this method up!

jab91864
05-25-2009, 09:12 AM
Other than the forum nobody knows how much I actually weigh or how much I wish to lose.

Nobody at work knows I am dieting or watching what I eat. I changed jobs in Feb and have no friends where I work now.

As for family (husband/kids) they know because they see me eating different things than them. I never announce my intentions because they have always seen me try to change my lifestyle or diet and give up after months/weeks of no success for whatever reason. I've never been thin so this is all my family knows me as.

They do complain about my menus and the food I cook for myself. I don't know why because I still cook the food they like for them. Which is very hard and does make me resentful at times. They constantly try to get me to taste things which I tire of explaining why I can't do that.

I chalk it up to they're not fat, they don't get it and try not to dwell.

When I was a teenager I joined weight watchers for a while and we had public weigh ins and during the meeting everyone had to stand up and say how much they lost or gained and why. I remember it as being very embarrassing and in one aspect it worked because you didn't want to stand up and say you didn't lose anything.... It was like publicly admitting to failure. I guess some small part of it stuck with me because I find writing down everything I put in my mouth and posting it the next day helps to keep me accountable. I will actually stop and think OMG I will have to write that down...

matt_H
05-25-2009, 09:28 AM
My brother knows I'm losing weight and only a circle of close friends. I have about 5 or 6 friends that are on this social networking community called livejournal and we created a private community there just for people to post their weekly weigh ins and to keep motivated. These are all "real life" friends but it is easier to check in online like that :)

I think it depends on the person. For me, having a very small group of people that I'm accountable to makes me want to work harder.

I don't tell co-workers even when they notice I've lost weight. I usually just say thank you and try not to discuss it in depth.

Rosinante
05-25-2009, 09:59 AM
This tells me that their reactions this last time were genuine. I also realize that these same people -- who didn't notice my 35-40 lbs weight loss until it was 70-75 lbs lost -- didn't 'really' notice the 25 and 50 lbs losses of people bigger than I, who announced it and were promptly told that wow, they looked great. I didn't want that, you know?

You give me hope! For exactly the same reasons I've mentioned it to no-one in the physical world, I want the reactions to be genuine. Not one, single, solitary soul has noticed my 39lbs. Yet.

emmalee51
05-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Coworkers - extended family - not-so close friends have now noticed my weight loss - I'm learning to just to say "thanks - I cut out sugar/carbs and alcohol". If the word "Atkins" even comes out they go on and on about how bad they 'heard' it is ;).

My family and close friends are all aware - I've explained to them all the process and steps I am going through - They are who keep me accountable when I'm out and about in real life. I will owe them all a big Thank-You when this is over.

However - I'm pretty up front about my weight - I am cool with telling people my starting weight and goal weight. Most of the time they think i'm lying about my starting weight anyhow.

TJFitnessDiva
05-25-2009, 12:45 PM
My husband, one of my sisters and my best friend know my goal weight. Other than that everyone else knows I've lost a lot of weight and I get asked a lot about when am I going to stop? :lol:

So I've made everything public to my selective few and to all of you ;)

bargoo
05-25-2009, 01:07 PM
I do not announce my dieting or goal plans. It works best for me if I just quietly go about eating and exercising with weight loss in mind. This keeps unwanted and incorrect advice away, and especially NO DIET POLICE ! Once you announce you are on a diet you can be sure someone will momitor every bite you take and make unwanted comments. Eventually some one will ask if you have lost weight I usually just say"Yes, and I did it on purpose."

Sheena41
05-25-2009, 01:43 PM
I started doing WW with a friend at work so some of them know. My family knows but I don't really talk about it with neighbors. I like having 1 or 2 people about it for support. The girl I started with at work is really supportive and always get excited for me when I lose as I do for her.

Arctic Mama
05-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Having my family and friends rooting for me makes me so proud of myself when I achieve and I love sharing with them my successes, but only my husband and dad, I think, know how much I actually want/need to lose in the short and long term. Doesn't bother me, I find I do better with their support, though accountability is internal to me. They're cheerleaders, not diet police :)

Star2Be
05-25-2009, 04:31 PM
When I first started trying to lose weight, I kept it totally secret--the only person who would have had even the slightest inkling of my intentions would have been my mother, because I was living with her for the summer, so she inevitably was able to witness very closely all of the changes I was making (buying a scale, requesting healthy foods when we went grocery shopping, passing on suggestions of going out to dinner, etc etc)... But beyond that, I didn't tell a single person that I was trying to lose weight. For me, it essentially boiled down to not wanting to have to feel self-conscious throughout the process--all I could picture was people scrutinizing my eating habits, constantly checking to see if I looked any different, wondering why I wasn't losing more/more quickly (not to mention the fear of seeing their disappointment if I failed completely, which at that point seemed distinctly possible)... It all just seemed like too much for me to handle! :eek: So, I decided to make it a totally private thing instead. My friends might have noticed the phrases "No thanks," "I'm not hungry," "I already ate," and so on entering my vocabulary a LOT more, heh, but they didn't really comment on it... Plus I was saving money for a vacation I took at the end of the Summer, so that was pretty much my all-purpose excuse for not wanting to go out for ice cream, Taco Bell runs, etc! ;)

Even though I'm now at a point where (I think) it's pretty obvious that I've lost weight, and it'd be pretty silly of me to regard it as an "accident," I have pretty much had to confess by default that, yes, I'm trying to lose weight. However, I still haven't revealed any cold, hard numbers to anyone except you 3FC-ers--neither my past weight, nor my current/goal weights. People have asked the annoying question of "How much have you lost?!" many times, but I usually deflect it politely... Quite honestly, it is none of their business, and even though they probably don't mean to be rude, I find the question pretty darn inappropriate! :nono: Similarly, although no one has been bold enough to ask my exact weight, or how much I want to weigh, I don't think I would tell them if they did. I hold myself accountable; I don't need anyone else breathing down my neck and sticking their nose into my weight loss! :dizzy: Hehe.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I kind of miss the days where no one knew I was trying to lose weight... It is really annoying that now that I can no longer deny that I'm trying to get healthy, everything I had previously dreaded is pretty much coming true--my eating habits ARE under constant scrutiny, and whether I'm making a healthy choice or choosing to indulge, it seems like someone always has to offer up an opinion. It gets a little old! :dz: Obviously I prefer the way I look now, and I'm NOT saying I want to go back to not having anyone notice the difference (heh!), but the privacy was kind of nice...

ChocLabLover
05-26-2009, 10:06 AM
I didn't tell anyone that I was trying to lose weight. I had publicly announced it -- and publicly failed -- so many times that I was too embarrassed to make the grand announcement once again. This time I was determined to let my actions do the talking for me.

I love this quote Meg, because I can totally relate to it. I did not tell anyone either, including my family. I also let my actions speak for themselves. After I lost about 50 lbs, people started commenting, tentatively at first (they knew something was different but were not quite sure). When I had about a 75lb loss, that is when people came up to me to ask me what I was doing, how I was doing it, how much I had loss, etc. I still don't tell anyone how much I have lost (I am ashamed that I had so much to lose, personal demon of my own). I have my own private goals, not just what weight but also physically how I want to be.

Stella
05-27-2009, 04:12 AM
I feel it is important to tell my partner. Last night for example we went out for dinner (pre theatre, no time to go home) and chose a particular restaurant. I was there first and studied the menue which was on display on the street. I explained to him that there was nothing there which fit in my regime and asked to go to another rstaurant next door (which I knew caters for my low carb needs).

He was totally fine with hit, but if he had not known the reason he might have throught of me as "weired". What I do works for me at the moment and I am so determined not to blow it, under no circumstances. Was proud of myself that I have asserted myself but had he not known what regime I was on this would have been harder.

At work, I still say nothing. I eat a normal healthy lunch and I think nobody noticed that I no longer dip into the biscuit tin. Beginning of July is my 2-week holiday and after that, I hope to come back in a new outfit in a smaller size and see what they say :-)

Stella

Kae
05-27-2009, 11:28 AM
My family knows I am working at losing weight because I told them I am determined to do so... and because I buy all of my own groceries and cook most of my own meals. Plus, I have been trying to set a good example for my 8 year old sister and so I talk to her alot about nutrition and such.

As for friends, my 2 closest girlfriends know I am working on it and if they have questions I am willing to answer them.

I think for me it's been easier having the people closest to me know about it... It's really got nothing to do with accountability because I am the only one who can motivate me to do this... but now they're less likely to offer me treats and more willing to work with me in regards to where we eat out and such. ...I haven't specifically mentioned a goal weight to anyone, aside from just being healthy and happy. :)

Tummy Girl
05-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Yup, I'm pretty much the same, my best friend knows, who lives two provinces away (we both have weight issues too) and my dh knows I'm "eating healthier." He is a 136lb 5'9" marathon runner and cannot hold weight to save his life. He admits to not knowing the first thing about losing weight, binging etc. And for him eating hords of pasta has it's purpose and for me pasta is another word for belly fat.

I don't tell people most because I don't want to discuss or admit to a wide group of people that I'm a compulsive eater who solved her problems with food and at times stuffed myself till I was almost sick. That, my friends, is what my mother used to call an inside thought.

And really, most people at large just don't tell you the truth, oh you don't look that big, you should stop losing you look fine, etc. The reason I told my dearest friend is because we call each other on our crap, most people don't and I would be offended if they did!

futuresurferchick
05-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Like Meg and others on this thread, I kept my weight loss efforts quiet because I had publicly announced my goal and promptly given up so many times before. It definitely worked for me to keep it quiet until people noticed on their own.

Devsmama
05-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Quiet! So many people in my family commented on how much I've gained that I don't want to talk about what I'm doing. The only people who know are my son and my best friend Kimmie. Neither one of them know my starting weight or my goal weight.

L R K
05-27-2009, 01:44 PM
I think bringing it out into the open does help - it also gives you some type of accountability which I foudn helped keep me on track. I've done both in the past. I found keeping it quiet didn't work for me at all, I would stray once and then would continue doing it because no one was these to say hey what about your diet?? But to each is there own, what works for one person doesn;t necessarily work for another.

YogaGal08
05-27-2009, 01:47 PM
I went very public last time and and am now at the point where I am right back where I started... starting over again. Generally people know I'm eating healthy etc. If I'm offered stuff at work or someone asks if I want to grab a sandwich I just say I brought my lunch and that I'm behaving. Though my office is full of junk all the time I also work with a bunch of women who understand when i say I'm 'behaving' and the conversation gets left at that. People see my car go in and out of the drive way at 5am so they know when i go to the gym or come home late from yoga. I technically live in a separate building from my family so no one sees me eat....and i've been all talk in the past while secretly eating when no one is looking. Only I can be accountable for that and it really is a personal battle that I need to talk me through. No public declaration could change that.
My boyfriend is the difficult one. He just doesn't understand that what works for him doesn't work for me and he is just not good at being supportive at all... and I'm finding it actually easier if I just don't talk to him about it at all which is just fine with me. He knows I've got goals, but he's always heard me talk with no results so I'm just going to shut up and work towards results and wait for him to notice :)

rochemist
05-27-2009, 01:57 PM
No announcement made this time around. I am not even sure what goal will look like, I just have a general idea of what it will feel like. My clothes will fit and I will no longer be limited by whether I am shopping in the fat girls or the skinny girls shop. I was never limited in activity except for how much will kick my butt, in the future I would like to think 6-8 hours biking, 4 hours surfing, and 10 hours hiking are all possible. My food will reflect the value of health and enjoyment not my emotions. I feel more and more of these each day I make the choice to be working towards my health.