General chatter - Is there anything you refuse to give up during weightloss?

baby phat
05-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Is there anything at all you won't give up during your weightloss efforts? You can list foods, snacks, or other things like tv time or whatever it is you refuse to give up.

For me there are foods I refuse to give up, such as:

Steak (red meat)
although my mom remembers a story of a woman who lost weight from chewing the meat but then spitting it out as opposed to swallowing it. I cannot force myself to do this but I've been pondering it, because the digestion of red meat is hard for the body. But chewing it you are getting everthing that is healthy from the meat into your body. Has anyone else heard of this or tried it? (I think I'll make a new post on this subject alone). http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2753695#post2753695

Cereal
Absolutely refuse to give up cereal. I tried to switch over to oatmeal for breakfast but I get sick of it after a week or two, AND I find that I get hungry faster when I've had oatmeal for breakfast as opposed to cereal. I eat lots of different kinds of cereal, sugary kind, fibery kind, etc.

Peanut Butter & Jam or Preserves sandwiches or crackers
I do Not eat an abundance of peanut butter. In fact I don't even use the total serving when I do eat it. And it's not something I eat all the time, but I do binge on pb & j/p crackers. Usually I have between 6 and 8 crackers. Also, I only use the extra crunchy pb because I love tasting the actual nuts.

Popcorn & blue bag Doritos
My salty snacks of choice though I don't make a habit of either

SO let's hear it crew! What are your weaknesses or refusals.

dkneec19
05-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Chocolate. Never ever in a million babillion years could I ever EVER give up chocolate.

Smiling_Sara
05-23-2009, 10:10 PM
coffee and creamer are prob my biggest ones. and the sometimes splurge at starbucks for a blended coffee.

shrinkingleah
05-23-2009, 10:24 PM
If I'm low on my calories after my meals, I like to go to Dairy Queen and get a soft serve vanilla cone. Today I'm at just over one thousand so a cone sounds good tonight! I've only done it about 3 or 4 times since January so I think I'm okay. :)

RealCdn
05-23-2009, 10:38 PM
I can't think of anything specific I've given up. I don't eat any kind of junk food on a regular basis, however, I've worked in things like ice cream, chips, etc. when I've really wanted them. I suppose the only thing I've given up is eating to excess. :D

Windchime
05-23-2009, 11:21 PM
The only thing I think I've totally given up is chip and dip. I can (and do) eat that stuff until I'm sick, so I don't even buy either one anymore. I did have a few potato chips at a BBQ last night and was suprised at how salty they were. But that didn't stop me from eating them, so I know they're still a trigger food for me.

kaplods
05-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Anything.

Basically, I've given up sacrifice. I don't really do "giving up" anymore, because for many people, and especially me, nothing makes a thing more enticing and difficult to resist than making it forbidden.

That being said, I'm getting better and better at recognizing choices that just aren't worth it. Candy for example. I still occasionally (rarely) have a small amount, but more often than not, it's just not worth it. I never ate huge amounts of candy, nor did I even eat candy every week or every month. However, the longer I avoid super-high carbohydrate/GI foods, the more I notice unpleasant side effects. I'll feel a bit nauseous, or get a killer headache. I never associated headaches with sugar before, but I wonder if I've always experienced it and never noticed, because I rarely get headaches anymore, when I used to get them frequently.

I think it's really helped me to say to myself, "I can have anything if I want it, but how badly do I want it," and that helps. I think when it's forbidden, I only thought about wanting it, not the consequences of having it. With nothing forbidden, it's a bit easier to make the choice that fits best into my life - not only in weight loss, but in everything. Hubby and I are apartment hunting, and I find myself asking the same "how badly do I want it," in evaluating the apartments that we've seen.

Cebsme
05-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Coffee with good flavored creamers, though I have been able to switch to sugar free ones pretty seamlessly. I love sitting out in the back screen room with my coffee every morning.

Thighs Be Gone
05-24-2009, 12:26 AM
kaplods, I had headaches almost daily for years and now rarely, rarely get one. When I have them now it is (almost) always after I have binged on something with sugar and sodium.

ETA: YES, EXACTLY in regards to the "how badly do I want it" question. I ask myself the same. I don't deny myself anything I just keep in mind that I can't be healthy AND indulge frequently.

Windchime
05-24-2009, 12:57 AM
I'm fortunate that saying "no, I will not have that" doesn't trigger the yearning and urge to binge, at least not with the chip and dip. So it's no my "no" list, but it's not like I yearn for it and obsess over it. I just know that I won't be buying it. I have found other crunchy chip-like things to substitute.

Everything else is allowed, but like Kaplods and TBG have said, I evaluate whether or not it's worth it. TBG, like you, my headaches have all but disappeared since I stopped eating high quantities of sugary or salty foods. And I'm a beer girl, but lately I've been asking the "Is it worth it?" question, and have decided that, for now, beer is something to be enjoyed only occasionally and not every weekend.

I'm sure that my upcoming class reunion in a month has nothing at all to do with my desire to get rid of my beer belly. Nope.

MaryEllen
05-24-2009, 12:58 AM
I find that if I'm really craving something I will eat it, I will just eat less of it and save the rest for later because I eat less now. Like mac and cheese...I love pasta and mac and cheese is like my favorite food, but instead of eating the whole box like I used to I'll add tuna and peas to it and make three meals out of it. It's not the best choice but if I don't like what I'm eating I can't stick to a program.

sidhe
05-24-2009, 01:36 AM
I've given up [most] sugar and [most] white flour, and it honestly wasn't that painful at all. I don't miss it, during the week. I'm relatively strict with myself, honestly. But that's because...

On saturday I go to high tea at a formal tea room. I REFUSE to give it up. I have milk and sugar in my tea, I have a miniature blondie, a miniature brownie, and a miniature bread pudding, along with the tea sandwiches, fruit, soup, tea cookie, and scone. It's a huge amount of food and I eat what I want of it. I eat lightly for the rest of the day, and sunday I'm right back on plan. I focus on my program during the week with the thought that I am having tea on saturday. I REFUSE to give up my tea. Not gonna happen!

JulieJ08
05-24-2009, 02:14 AM
I refuse to give up flavor and satisfaction - fortunately what tastes good and satisfies is something that has changed drastically!

Lissus
05-24-2009, 02:42 AM
coffee with the flavored creamers (and the occasional naughty indulgence of a peppermint mocha), red meat and good cheese (I dont even bother with RF, or FF anymore 'cept with the mozzerella.. I just use less of the good stuff)

Rosinante
05-24-2009, 03:27 AM
No and yes.
I deliberately chose calorie counting so that there would be no banned foods, more for ease of having a normal life round it but also because banning foods is not helpful for me mentally.
Having said that, as the weeks turn into months this no-ban means that all the foods that are unhelpful for weightloss have receded far from my mind. I never sit thinking, 'I crave a ..... '.
I still have a greedy head, and often think, 'I could have a bucket full of X or one tiny piece of Y - no contest!'
I am totally rigid about sticking to my calorie budget, and have been known to throw out/leave until tomorrow a treat, if I get to the end of the day and find I've over-estimated the calories I have left. This is a new experience!

divinechaos
05-24-2009, 03:38 AM
I refuse to give up pita chips, cheese, and fried chicken. :]
I have pita chips for lunch with my chicken noodle soup. The chicken noodle soup is light to make up for the extra calories from the pita chips.
I'm lactose-intolerant and I still refuse to give up cheese lol
And... I don't have fried chicken very often at all. I usually grill it. However, maybe once or twice a month I will fry up some spicy chicken strips =]

ringmaster
05-24-2009, 04:06 AM
heh, definitely coffee with the creamers is a hard one for me to give up just yet, although I'm trying different things to find a lower calorie addin I can have.

chocolate is another... although I can get a chocolate fix from protein shakes. If I want real chocolate I've been going for the dark chocolate with atleast 80%cocoa so it's supposed to be good for you...if it's good for you it's ok to have sometimes, right? ;)

PinkyPie
05-24-2009, 05:16 AM
I do Weight Watchers which means I don't have to give up anything.

However, I want to get the most "bang for my buck" points-wise, therefore I say "no" right now to things that have no added value to me nutritionally. That means, chips, chocolate, candy, fries, other fast food, all my favourite pub food, drinking like a crazy woman with my friends (probably not a good thing anyway!!), cake, etc., are all out of the picture. I can get some WW products that satisfy the very rare urge for chocolate and chips and I'm ok with those. I have lactose issues so I had to "give up" ice cream a long time ago (it makes me feel like my throat is closing up after I eat it and that sucks!), some cheeses and limit my milk intake in general. I do love cheese so I have "regular" cheese on Sundays when we have pasta (every Sunday my husband makes it homemade) and I eat lighter stuff during the week that doesn't have a weird effect on my body (cottage cheese, light feta, light mozzarella).

I guess there is ONE thing I just about refuse to give up and that's my daily Triple Tall NF Latte. Some days I forget to put it in my plan and then I don't have one (I stick to my plan), but 9 out of 10 days I work it in :)

MoonGirl
05-24-2009, 02:50 PM
My friend refuses to give up his two cans of extra strong larger every evening. He claims that all diets tell you that you need to have one thing that you have as a treat. He's not lost any weight yet, but now has diabetes.

He won't listen to my advice, :?:

mayness
05-25-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm another one who refuses to give up anything!

Some things I eat regularly that others might think are "bad": maple syrup (a little bit in plain yogurt is sooo good), chocolate, half & half in my coffee once a day... and over the course of each week I have a bagel at lab meeting, a scone at a journal club, a cookie at a seminar, and a beer at happy hour (grad school = free food).

TJFitnessDiva
05-25-2009, 02:30 PM
I've not really given anything up per say but if it was something I loved & I didn't want to part with I tried making it healthier. I've experimented a lot over the past year & am pleased with results of my projects ;)

Mahina Lani
05-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Chocolate
(although I'm allergic to dairy so I only have the 70-80% cocoa chocolate anyway!)

Soy Chai Lattes!
I don't have them at all often, but I'd be upset if I was told I wasn't allowed them!

Brown Eyed Staccie
05-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Interesting reads here....having a hard time giving up coke zero and popcorn. But I have eliminated everything else that leads to binging and/or falling off the wagon!

Tomato
05-25-2009, 04:50 PM
I haven't given up anything, except for fast food. And even that I manage to sneak every once in a while. But I try really hard to make up for it by eating very clean and very healthy 24/7. I don't consider the occasional slip up as disasters. Life happens. Stuff gets in the way. I love pizza and I don't see a reason why I could not have a slice here and there. But I try to have a thin whole wheat crust with chicken on top (as an example). So even if I go for the less than optimal stuff, I try to pick the lesser evil (so to speak).

RobinW
05-25-2009, 09:11 PM
I will not give up 1/2 & 1/2 in my coffee :D

Tracy
05-26-2009, 08:25 PM
as someone stated in moderation you don't have to give up anything
moderation is my trouble

Bumbleberry
05-27-2009, 02:11 AM
Chocolate and coffee. And hey, I'm almost down 50. Yes, it's taking forever, and maybe I'd have lost a bit more if I gave up coffee and chocolate, but that's life. I have, um, "issues" during a certain time of month where chocolate is MOST welcome.

starfishkitty
05-27-2009, 01:00 PM
I can't give up meat either. My sister is losing tons of weight going vegetarian.... but seriously I cannot do it. I start feeling anemic and weird when I try...... so I definitely incorporate some meat in my daily diet.

Also, since I'm on the Nutrisystem Flex Plan (5 days on, 2 days off)..... I do 1 cheat day (eat what I want in reasonable ways) and 1 semi cheat day (stick to all the veggies and fruits I do during the week and have Lean Cuisine's for my main meals). On my cheat day... I'm all about my grandma's Mexican food and pizza. lol It seems to be working.... been doing it for about 3 weeks now.... lost like 8lbs. :)

nelie
05-27-2009, 01:12 PM
I've given up a long of things but everything I've given up has been willingly. I don't eat any animal products and honestly other than some minor inconveniences and struggling food addictions (milk chocolate is a strong addiction), I love it and have no issue.

I could honestly give up anything if there was enough of a reason to do so. Having said that, I would kick and scream to give up chocolate. If someone said to me that I'd live 5 years longer without chocolate, I think I'd sacrifice the 5 years for the taste of chocolate :)

luvja
05-27-2009, 01:27 PM
I haven't given anything up. I will still eat junk from time to time, obviously not on a regular basis. One thing I do consume on a regular basis that I REFUSE to give up is cream in my coffee. I don't like my coffee with milk. I did change the sugar to sweetener though. Cream is a MUST have for me.

L R K
05-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Chocolate - when I first started my weight loss plan I tried to quit and what eventually happened is I craved it so much that I binged when I actually did get a chance to eat it. Now I'll have some whenever I feel like it but just a small amount, enought to get rid of my craving.

Bumbleberry
05-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Chocolate contains alkaloids such as theobromine and phenethylamine, which have physiological effects on the body. It has been linked to serotonin levels in the brain.

From Wiki.

So there you go -- it's a natural anti-depressant. :)

Janis427
06-12-2009, 09:47 AM
2 things I refuse to give up are coffee and Real homemade yogurt with real cream. The farmer here makes fresh from the cows. I try not to buy alot of it or I will eat it all in one sitting.

MandiK
06-12-2009, 11:14 AM
I haven't given up anything. For example, last night I have a cheddarwurst on a white bun. It was 9 WW points (that's a lot!!!), but I really like them and I really wanted it, so I had it. I won't have it everyday, or even every week, but when I really want it, I'm eating it.
I also refuse to buy certain things that are "light" so they are three times the prices. That's why I used the white bun. 8 white buns were $1.19 and 8 light wheat buns were $3.58. No friggin way am I paying $3.58 for buns. I refuse.
I guess for me it's all about balance. I know from the past that if I give things up, I will just binge on them later. I also know that just because I'm on a diet does not mean I can spend twice as much on groceries.

RealCdn
06-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I can't bring myself to pay for 'lite' products. Especially since they're usually chock full of chemicals. Probably my only exception is I buy splenda (in a big bag from Costco) to make summer drinks with (lime juice, splenda, water, alcohol). And usually have a smaller bag of the brown sugar splenda to marinate in sometimes.

I actually can't believe the cost of breads in general. I bake for myself (and play with mixed grains, soy flour, protein powder, etc.) but I've seen that a lot - higher prices for 'lite' products.

Oh, and the few times I buy ice cream, it's haagen-daz. However, I make a fruit/jam/yogurt concoction that goes over very well with guests.

kiramira
06-12-2009, 12:48 PM
I feel so LUCKY that I found WW because I truly don't have to give up anything! BUT, I HAVE to give up my unlimited portion size. I can have mac and cheese, but a really small amount if I want to stay on plan. I can have junk food, but I have found that this is a CRAP way to spend my points (or calories). So I choose not to go down that road. But it is a relief to know that if everyone is going out to MacDos, I CAN have a hamburger, small fries and diet Coke for 11 points. But that is over HALF of my daily points allotment, so you can BET I don't do this every often (as in, once a year or so!).
So, I don't feel deprived. But I make the CHOICE to get more food bang for my points (or calorie) buck, else I will feel hungry most of the time!

Kira

lilybelle
06-12-2009, 01:18 PM
I really don't think I've given up anything. I have however found a healthier way to cook my favorite foods and still stay on plan.

My biggest indulgence every morning is 2 cups of coffee with FF creamer and a packet of splenda.

I guess I could say though that I've given up the convenience of fast foods.

StringBean
06-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Cheese is my weakness....yummy...

megwini
06-12-2009, 01:25 PM
I try to eat healthy in general and when life throws something like pizza or cake my way, I eat it in moderation. But see, I've discovered now that I'm not TRYING to seek out these foods, they really are just an occasional treat. Maybe 2 slices of pizza a month, and cake or some other pastry once a month. If my family gets together and there's cake, I DO have a piece. I just don't make any effort to make any myself at home. I stopped eating almost all candy and stopped drinking anything but water a few months ago and don't miss that at all. I don't think I could go my WHOLE life without cake, but I could definitely go my whole life without chocolate bars and pop, NOOOO problem. Everyone's different, I guess.

That being said, the one treat food I do seek out is creamy things. I could never give them up. I love my cream-based soups and creamy sauces on pasta and ice cream. Soft serve, specifically. I get a child's size of soft serve once a week, and I won't give that up for anyone! Outside of that, my desserts tend to be frozen bananas with a little bit of cool whip and chocolate syrup on them, and I think that tastes almost as good!!!! But I could never give up soft serve, EVER! (Or Coldstone or frozen custard... because those are soft enough that I like them too). If you told me never to eat anything creamy again, I could never do it. I can give up fried stuff no problem though. It's just the cream.... even avocado does it for me. Mmmmmmmmmmm avocado.

diary
06-12-2009, 01:53 PM
I am not giving up anything. I eat less than I did before, and I eat less of the type of foods that I ate before, but I don't want to say that I can never eat something that I like ever again.

Pita09
06-12-2009, 02:13 PM
I won't ever give up chocolate! I'm given once a day, by my boyfriend, a small square of Dove dark chocolate. It's usually our after lunch treat and for 41 calories it's not going anywhere.

I won't give up cheese and especially blue cheese. I will use moderation and make sure it fits into my daily calorie allotment.

I won't give up coffee, Chai tea, or Starbucks iced coffee. I use Splenda for sweetener and fat free half-n-half for my creamer. I even carry my creamer in a thermos to Starbucks. So what if they look. I'm saving huge amounts of calories and fat grams.

I won't give up food that taste good and satisfies. I love to cook and will spend hours scouring for recipes that I can make at home that taste better than the stuff we can get in a restaurant.

Nigelswife
06-12-2009, 03:07 PM
This is what I love about counting Calories. I CAN eat anything I just have to write it down. I was on South Beach before changing over to just counting calories and on South Beach there are "forbidden foods." If something is "forbidden" then I crave it...even if I normally don't care for it. So there is nothing that I say I "can't" eat but I just eat it in more moderation.

Hello Nurse
06-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Nothing. If I want something bad enough, I fit it into my WW points. I am finding that there are few things that there are not healthier and just as satisfying substitutions.

Example: my old weekly splurge was at the Chinese buffet, where I'd have 2 plates of all the worst stuff plus some sushi. Probably over 2,000 calories in one meal, easily. Today, instead I went to local supermarket with an awesome fresh suchi bar and had a catepillar roll and some spring rolls. Cost me 12 ww points, but I am satisfied and the Chinese craving is gone. I have plenty of points left for a nice healthy dinner and snack if I need it.

It's all about substitutions you can live with!

Michelle1210
06-13-2009, 02:24 PM
I usually eat clean, no white flour , sugar and rice. if I do eat bread it is whole wheat, raw honey,brown rice....
And I have one night a week where I indulge in my wine.......I wont give it up but now its not nightly, and before I only drank a glass with dinner,now i only have it one night a week, i workout to darn hard. It was hard!

Darkblue
06-13-2009, 11:57 PM
On saturday I go to high tea at a formal tea room. I REFUSE to give it up. I have milk and sugar in my tea, I have a miniature blondie, a miniature brownie, and a miniature bread pudding, along with the tea sandwiches, fruit, soup, tea cookie, and scone. It's a huge amount of food and I eat what I want of it. I eat lightly for the rest of the day, and sunday I'm right back on plan. I focus on my program during the week with the thought that I am having tea on saturday. I REFUSE to give up my tea. Not gonna happen!

The only thing I simply refuse to give up is my morning 2 mugs of hot tea. I order quality loose-leaf tea online, and have it with skim milk and real sugar. It's my one non-negotiable thing, and yes, I figure it into my plan.

But ooooo, I'd love to have an afternoon tea like you're describing!

DawnSC
06-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Wine. A girl needs a glass o' wine every now and then!