Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-23-2009, 02:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Starting again 250/235/170

Height: 5'7"

Default Joined the gym! ahhh.

So I finally joined the gym. Im down almost 50 lbs. with about 40 left to go... so I joined...and its one of those giant, beautiful people filled facilities...and its great except that I am scared to death to go to the classes! What if I cant keep up?! Supposedly they have intro classes, but I dont see ANY on the schedule. Any advice for a newbie in the group classes? Id really like to try spinning...help!
rena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #2  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Hi there! Joining the gym can be quite intimidating. If you are there for mostly classes, talk to the front desk - they maybe able to point you in the right direction. However, I joined a spinning class and was out of shape and KNEW I couldn't keep up. I got there early, found a space at the back and then briefly talked to the trainer and let him know I was new. He was awesome - he kept making eye contact and smiling when he could manage (it was a tough class lol). Just go at a good pace and prepared for your butt to be really sore for awhile lol. After awhile you develop spinner calluses on your butt (well that's what I affectionately call them). Everyone is so busy and so focused on their workout they are not focusing on you

S
Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/115/120

Height: 5'1"

Good for you for joining a gym! It was one of the best things I did in my weight-loss journey. Without the classes at the gym, I wouldn't have the muscles that I do now. (That sounds egotistical, but I couldn't think of a way to say it that wasn't. ) I rpobably would have lost the same weight since then, or almost as much, but I definitely look more fit because of what I do at the gym.

Several of my co-workers have since joined the same gym, and one told the other, who was hesitating, "I have never regretted joining a gym." I thought about this and realized, "I get it--she regretted not going, but didn't regret joining. Very good point!"

I first joined with a co-worker in September, and I was a little nervous about going to workout with someone who thin and beautiful and 6 inches taller than me and did I mention she's beautiful? I didn't want to be the overweight one with the red face who couldn't keep up. But I went, and we both were challenged in class--she's definitely more coordinated than I am in aerobics (my lack of coordination is a bit of a running joke now) but she's not as flexible or strong as me in yoga. In any case, the point is that we go. I love classes--I schedule them in my day like any appointment (Tuesday, 5:30, strength class; Wednesday, 6:15, yoga...) and then I go.

Most gyms offer a complimentary assessment/orientation when you first join. Which makes sense--they want you to stay and keep paying your fees! Ask the person at the front desk about it, if no one has mentioned it to you yet. Or ask who takes care of planning/staffing the classes--they might have some recommendations on which ones to try. Maybe ask about guest passes and get a friend to go with you--I'm always less nervous when I'm doing something new along with someone else. Worse comes to worst, take a deep breath and just go to a class! I put off trying a yoga class for almost 10 years, and when I finally went I was like, "Why was I so nervous? I should have done this years ago."

And yes--it's possible that you may not be quite as fit as some of the people there. However, if you put in a decent effort you'll probably at least be average--I see people in my classes all the time who are really going through the motions but not pushing themselves, and it shows. By the end of class, my face is red and I'm all sweaty, and some are barely even out of breath. For the first class, you might not get the best workout you've ever had, since you'll be getting used to the instructor/the equipment/the music/the exercise/whatever else is new to you. But after that, you'll be comfortable and be able to decide which classes you like and focus on getting a good workout to the ones you do go to.

Enjoy the gym! It's my second home now, and I really love going. Let us know how it goes, and if you have any questions, please give us a shout!
nakedmango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Congrats on joining a gym! Gyms have people joining all the time, so it's rare that there aren't a couple of newbies in every class. It's really unlikely that you'll be the only newbie and the only one out of shape in any class (it just feels like you are the only one ) You could also ask at the front deck which classes they recommend for beginners.

Spinning is all about how much tension you use. The less tension the easier it is. And no one can see how much tension you have on the bike. So it's a great class for a beginner because 1) it doesn't require a lot of coordination and 2) you can keep the tension low for your first couple of classes to pace yourself and it will be your little secret. But it is a good idea to get there early for your first class, so you can have the instructor help you get the bike adjusted.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 05-27-2009 at 02:35 AM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Starting again 250/235/170

Height: 5'7"

Thanks you guys! You've given me some much needed confidence!
rena1 is offline   Reply With Quote