Old 05-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 311/285.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Default Trying Weight Watchers Again

Hi!

I've been overweight most of my life. I was "big" back when I was grade school. Maybe 10-20 lbs over weight. I have gained weight pretty steadily since then. I was 190 in 1990, 250 in 1999, and 300s in 2009. I have tried various diets, but always fail in the same way. I tend to go along following plans perfectly for a couple of months, then messing up in some (often insignificant) way and completely stopping. It is like as soon as I "fail" I can't get the will back to do what I was doing before. I don't know how to stop myself from doing this.

I was on Weight Watchers back before they had points. Then tried it again in 2006 online. Now I'm back to trying it again online. My husband who needs to lose about 40 lbs has joined me this time. I tend toward whole grains and vegetables as a preference, but without some sort of plan I completely lack discipline in how much I eat.

Probably the strangest thing I've done was old Carbohydrate Addicts diet, back when they said you could eat whatever you wanted once a day as long as it took you no more than an hour. Carton of ice cream and a big slice of cake for dinner? Oh yeah! It was absolutely crazy. And somehow I lost about 30 lbs (215-185lbs) being completely irresponsible. That was back when I was teenager and much less worried about eating healthy. I tried it again when I was older and eating more responsibly and lost 7 lbs before giving up.

Anyway, Weight Watchers seems to allow enough flexibility to accommodate me and my husband. Neither of us wants to go to meetings, and we couldn't really afford it even if we wanted to. We are both online users.

I started last week, and have lost somewhere around 3 lbs, maybe more. I used a starting weight from last doctor's appointment about 3 weeks ago, I just couldn't stand to see how much weight I'd gained since then. Joining Weight Watchers was a act of desperation this time since no matter how much I tried, I couldn't get control of my eating on my own. For some reason I absolutely cannot eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full now. I need some external guide. I had some luck in the past just eating well and controlling portion size, but not this time. I couldn't even get started.

I'm getting very little exercise right now because I have a herniated disc in my back and anything more than walking for a few minutes on a flat surface is painful both while I'm doing it and for a long time after completion. I am in physical therapy for this, hoping that surgery won't be required.

I hope I can contribute here. If for no other reason that to reach 25 posts and get one of those neat tickers. Not really, but they are cute.
Qualera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:04 PM   #2  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Height: 5'5"

Welcome aboard!
Your story is all to familiar and I know I can relate to the up/down on again/off again syndrome

I am still climbing my way back to the on again after losing almost 20 then putting it right back on this past year -- it is like knock knock -- don't I get it I need to change for life -- lol well guess I have not got it yet but with the support here it helps 110%
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote