Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 228/173/160

Height: 5 ft 5 inches

Default If you are having water retention should you still drink alot of water

For some reason my weight has really gone crazy this week. I was down earlier this week to 201. Now I am up almost to 205. I have changed nothing about diet and exercise so I am going to assume (and hope) that it is water retention. If this is the case should I still be trying to drink my daily water that I have been? Will this cause me to gain more weight? I try to drink between 80 and 100 ounces a day. Just curious.
Lynn160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #2  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Yes, drink as much water as you are thirsty for. You're female, water retention (in response to cycle, diet, exercise, and a change in the wind) is naturally a fact of your life and will never end, no matter what you do or don't do. So treat your body well despite the water retention.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Definitely, the way to flush water is with water.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Actually, NOT drinking water will make you retain MORE water. It seems not to make sense, but water retention sometimes results from too much salty food, and drinking more water flushes the salt out. If it's because of hormonal changes, like TOM, drinking the usual amount of water is still a good thing.

However, it's always a good idea to consult with a health care professional if you are having sudden unexplained changes in water retention.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:33 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yep - the best remedy for water retention is...more water! You can also add some lemon to it, which seems to help, for me...but water will help flush out the extra water.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Yes water water water!

I have a friend who NEVER drinks water and tells me because it'll "make her bloat more" she always feels bloated and I keep saying she needs water but she just does not listen! *sigh*

I drink at least 8 glasses a day- 2 with breakfast, three with lunch, 3 with dinner, and during the day I'll have a glass here and there.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My husband and I went out for thai food for lunch, and I ordered one of my favorite dishes, green papaya salad. It's very low in calorie, but it's very high in sodium because of the fish sauce (like soy sauce, it's high in sodium) in the salad dressing. I know that tomorrow morning, I will have gained weight (up to 5 lbs), but I'm not worried about it since I know it's water retention, and if I drink a little extra water today and tomorrow, it will be gone by tomorrow evening.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:40 PM   #8  
Princess in gym training

S/C/G: 228/190/130

Height: 5'9"

I have always been told that the less water you drink the more your body will hold onto because it believes you are in a drought state. So if you drink lots of water your body will just let it go and use it as it needs it. Be forewarned though until you get used to it you will have to pee all the time.
BellaDiva is offline   Reply With Quote