20-Somethings - Was doing calculations when..

View Full Version : Was doing calculations when..

Arthwen1985
05-20-2009, 06:31 PM
I found out I have to lose 5lbs 28 times to reach my ideal weight or lose 10lbs 14 times to get to my goal... Think I can get into that size 22 dress by christmas with me doing what I am doing now? (Which is playing WoW from the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep with the exception of walking my dog when she needs to go.)

I need help! OBVIOUSLY playing WoW (World of Warcraft) for long hours and fiddling with stuff on my computer is not going to get me anywhere... I have asked several of my friends (I mean the only one I have that lives near me) if they would help me figure out a routine I would do each week including daily tasks such as when to eat breakfast, how often to take Molly out, for how long to walk her, do WiiFit, take a break playing WoW, when to water my plants, do chores etc... I am terrible with keeping my place neat and taking care of myself. It was this way before I played WoW i swear! It's just my mental state. I just have a hard time and I have no one around me to help me with daily stuff such as that. I know that people on here can't just call me up and say "Time for this" cause that just doesn't work and my friend is just as bad, if not worse off, than me so I can't have her do it.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what I can do to "Normalize" my life? I have no job or school or any obligations except my furry daughter so I have NO EXCUSE to not exercise and whatnot so... Anyone got any ideas?

stellarosa27
05-20-2009, 06:38 PM
They don't call it WarCrack for nothing...sorry, one of my friends is addicted, so I'm familiar with the game. It just hurts my eyes...:p

Maybe try setting alarms to kind of jar you off of the computer?

Alarm 1 - breakfast
Alarm 2 - dog walk
Alarm 3 - eye break
Alarm 4 - Wii Fit

That way, you have a set schedule and you have something annoying that keeps telling you that it has to get done.

Arthwen1985
05-20-2009, 06:48 PM
The only problem is that I would have to have a lot of alarm clocks and whatnot and one that is loud enough for my damned ears to hear. Yea, hard-of-hearing is another problem I have. lol I did think of that, forgot to put that in there above. Good idea... I wonder if there is something visual I can get or something so I see it and it is annoying and obvious to remind me...

stellarosa27
05-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Ah, on my phone I have options for multiple alarms - I'm so dependent on them. I have one for waking up (duh), taking my vitamins, going to the gym, feeding the cat, emptying the litter box, etc.

aangel22
05-20-2009, 08:43 PM
I honestly think if you play WoW that long and often you should just get rid of it. Take it out of your schedule completely, it is unnecessary and will not help you lose weight and achieve your goals! If you have a park near you, take Molly out for a nice long walk around the park. Give your fridge and pantries a makeover. Get rid of all the junk and get a bunch of healthy things. I know it seems more expensive to eat better, but honestly I have found it costs about the same for me. I am doing WW online (not that expensive either!) and with portion control I have found that a bag of Quaker mini rice cakes can really last more than one day and a container of hummus can last longer than it used to also! If you want to try calorie counting, fitday (http://www.fitday.com) is a good site, also myfitnesspal (http://www.myfitnesspal.com) and dailyplate (http://www.dailyplate.com) are great too. Here, you can find how many calories (http://http://www.theloseweightdiet.com/blog/13/2-simple-steps-to-lose-weight-without-exercise/) you need daily to lose weight. Just eating right, spending less time on the computer or playing games, and just walking 30 min a day (it doesn't have to be consecutive!) you will be on a better track.

I don't mean to sound harsh or anything! I used to be pretty addicted to Sims and that definitely contributed to my weight problem. Good luck with everything, I hope you will find something that works for you!:goodluck:

carcar05
05-20-2009, 10:10 PM
I agree with Angel.

Seriously-- are you doing things that you are proud of on a daily basis? If not, something needs to change. Maybe something needs to be cut out for awhile... It won't kill you to take a break from the game. I've seen this game seriously take over marriages, school work, social life, and health... ... everything in moderation my dear.

That's not saying you shouldn't enjoy your games, but it is apparent you aren't proud of playing WoW all day long. I'd chuck it, lock it away, take a break.

Get outside- read a book- join a club- all those things would be good for your health. :)

leighish
05-20-2009, 10:15 PM
I also agree with aangel. You need to make changes to your routine to facilitate the changes you want to see in your weight. The added expense of WOW could easily be put to a healthier food supply.

By the way, Car, It seems you have a smaller waist than I do. You skinny B!

stellarosa27
05-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Alright, so now that others have said it, I'll agree. Get rid of WoW. I lost some really good friends over that game - they just lost their will to do anything else other than stare at the screen all day. I miss them and have a deep hatred for the game since then.

Get out of the house, join a club, get involved outside. I think it will help you with your weight loss and general outlook. Sunshine never hurt anyone! Just wear sunscreen :)

SarahMorgan
05-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Get rid of WOW now! So many people get completely sucked in and can't get out. It is crazy how addicting it can be. It can consume you. Take the dog for a walk, volunteer at a soup kitchen or something. Just get out of the house, you will feel so much better! :)

Arthwen1985
05-20-2009, 10:39 PM
One: My mother plays the game
Two: My mother PAYS for the game
Three: My mother will disown me if I don't play with her
Four: I like my mommy.

I have already cut down my play time a BUNCH and the only time I do play is if someone needs a dungeon run. I just realized this, but I haven't played more than 7 hours in the last week... Excluding the dungeon run for my best friend which took longer than I had planned... So, an hour a day average. But there is no way I am just taking it out completely... that's like taking away TV or internet and I already did TV because people on here suggested it and I got bored.
My phone has 3 alarms...

Arthwen1985
05-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Here's another thing... There are about 16 hours in a day that you are awake. You are supposed to do something active for an hour or two a day... If I volunteer somewhere that will take up only a couple more hours... so there are still several hours a day where I am not doing much... Why not fill some in with WoW... Maybe I should have just left that out entirely. People see WoW and that's all they see and say to get rid of it. You know, that's my only Hobby and it's not that I am not happy with playing it, it's just I can't find much else to do besides that and I forget what I had planned to do that day so I just continue playing out of boredom. I dunno. I do know I can go over a week without playing it but with someone else paying for me to play I don't want to just chuck it... I have tried finding more creative things to do such as drawing, painting and other such things and this game is the only thing that has been successful in keeping me occupied having fun for more than 5 mins at a time. I dunno but just forget I said anything about what I play since clearly everyone is against it.

leighish
05-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Arthwen, You asked for our help.

Arthwen1985
05-20-2009, 10:55 PM
I know I did I just didn't expect for everyone to stick to one major thing which was WoW and getting rid of it. I was asking for how to schedule myself so I can do everything I want in one day/week and everyone goes and says "Get Rid of WoW, it'll solve everything." Doesn't quite help me there... haha

Mikayla
05-20-2009, 11:02 PM
You don't have to cut it out completely, but you did say in your original post that playing WOW was all you did. I would cut way back on it though. Think of it this way, trying to lose weight is all about getting healthy, and any addiction is NOT healthy and spending hours and hours playing a game to the point where it is nearly all you do is an addiction.

My suggestion would be to do something that gets you away from the game for a few hours everyday. maybe do some volunteer work, there are lots of people out there that could use your help. Even if you think you won't be able too I would still try there are many opportunities out there for all kinds of people.

Newshinyme
05-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Hi...sorry about crashing your thread, but I have an idea...
I find that if I turn on the puter before I do the things I HAVE to do on any given day, they my whole day gets wonky..
So how about making it a rule to do your exercise, and other chores before you turn on the computer for the day? Once you're done, then you can play WoW and actually enjoy without worrying about all the other things you *should* be doing.

Arthwen1985
05-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Oh, no. It's fine... was waiting on someone to crash the thread! lol That is a pretty good idea. I didn't think about that. I've gotten into such a habit of checking websites, e-mail etc. that I never think of just doing what I need to do first. Also I keep my computer on all the time (which is bad for the computer, I know) so getting into the habit of turning it off at night will take some work.

*Tries over and over to word this correctly and fails* How do I know what I have to do each day and in what order to do it and for how long and stuff and stuff? Ok, that makes no sense and sounds stupid and makes me feel stupid for writing it that way but does it make sense to anyone? I mean, I don't know what stuff people should be doing every day and I KNOW I can't just do a straight 2 hours of exercise and stuff. As for volunteering... I have tried to find volunteering stuff in town that I enjoy and can do and have yet to come up with someplace I like or that is taking volunteers... Yes, I have been actively looking. The next place I am thinking about trying is the Zoo which is close-by. They are always looking for volunteers. But anyways, how do I schedule everything so I can get everything done and not forget what I have to do that day. I have a planner but I forget to look at it. I dunno. Now this whole thread seems like a stupid thing to have posted and that I should have just left very well alone and not bothered with it because of how stupid I think I sound asking all these things that people my age should already know.

carcar05
05-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Arthwen- maybe your mom would pay for a gym membership as well, then you can make a routine of wake up, go to gym, come home & eat breakfast, and then on to other things.

having that thing you do each morning that is good for you and will help boost your metabolism will really create a sense of routine and help you to "normalize"

carcar05
05-20-2009, 11:32 PM
Don't feel stupid at all Arthwen- I don't really have good advice, but maybe write a list.

Make a list of all the things you need or want to do in a day. Then think of how long each of those things will require and create a schedule for yourself. After you do that a few times, you'll be in a routine that you won't need a planner for.

Weight watchers is also great- having a weekly meeting to go to and people to support you in person can help motivate you to stay on your schedule. You won't want to disappoint your WW pals! :)

Arthwen1985
05-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Ah, she doesn't quite have enough for a gym membership for me and just informed me I am going to have to find my own method of paying for WoW. WoW is not a whole lot and I know I can do it. Now with me not paying mom off for that Wii I can. lol

Also I hate gyms... everyone looking at you as you work out and making faces as they pass... I don't like gyms... which is why I got WiiFit... bring the Gym home and it has that videogame feeling so it's more fun.

Isn't it unhealthy to work out on an empty stomach? I do take out Molly as the first thing I do every morning but I don't think I'd be able to go straight to working out on an empty tank.

Oh, I tried the list thing and I kept losing the list cause I'd do it the night before and forget I made the list. Did I mention I got memory issues? lol Makes for fun times with friends... "Didn't you tell me that already?"... "I dunno..."

I guess I could make the list and, like, post it on the door so I see it every time I take Molly out...

carcar05
05-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Yes! Maybe post a list to the refridgerater-

Something else I do is write notes to myself. For example, if there's a certain food you eat a lot of write a note to yourself on the container of that food reminding yourself not to eat too much of it.

Put a note on the bathroom mirror reminding you to check your schedule, and to eat healthily. I don't know- just trying to help ya out :)

I always work out on an empty tummy, but i can't eat in the morning or i throw up :) haha

Arthwen1985
05-20-2009, 11:48 PM
Yea, I should start doing that too... I bought a lot of sticky notes a long time ago and still have tons! I guess I could try doing that.

I found that I feel sick first thing in the morning until I eat something. Same feeling if I haven't eaten in a while I feel sick again.

but what sort of things to people normally have to do every day? (besides work/schoo/kid stuff...)

bacilli
05-20-2009, 11:57 PM
I won't tell you to get rid of WoW, since I still play it. Not as regularly as I used to, but still.

There have been some great ideas here, get your stuff done before you log onto the PC. Then you can relax and play.

Or do what my hubby does. Use the in-game calendar to set timers for stuff. It'll pop up an alarm for you, without the irritating buzzers. Just remember to cancel the alarm once it's done, or you'll be told every day for 3 weeks to turn the oven on at 6:30pm :P

My typical day, since you asked:

5am Work out
6-7 Get ready for work
7am Breakfast
8am Leave for work
8pm Get home from work, cook dinner
9-11 Catch up on 3FC forums and my guild forums, maybe log on and say hi

Then I get to sleep!

Arthwen1985
05-21-2009, 12:06 AM
OMG, you can do that?! I haven't fiddled with the in-game calender so I don't know how to do anything... That's another good idea... It can tell me each night when to do the dishes (since I say I'll do them then forget... go figures)...

bacilli
05-21-2009, 12:09 AM
Yeah, if you just invite yourself or your alts, it will only pop up for you. I personally rely on lists, but hubby loves the in-game thingy for his days off. He should be home from work soon, I can ask him how he does it and let you know, if you'd like.

Arthwen1985
05-21-2009, 12:18 AM
That would be fantastic! Work sure takes people's time...

I just checked out about the volunteering thing for the Zoo and the orientations start in Sept...

bacilli
05-21-2009, 01:00 AM
Ok, he says to right click on the clock on the mini-map. You can set an alarm time and message, then click the "alarm disabled" button so it says "alarm enabled". Then the alarm will go off every day at that time, and will give you a raid warning mid-screen too. If it's a one-time alarm, disable it when you're done. If it's a daily reminder (ie water your plants), you can leave it on and it will remind you daily.

Have you considered volunteering at a local animal shelter? The ones in my area ALWAYS needs people, even if it's just to give the animals human interaction.

Mikayla
05-21-2009, 01:02 AM
Work/School does take up alot of time, sometimes I think sheer boredom is a big reason why people do those things in the first place.

I actaully don't have a full time job right now, I spend my days exercising, walking dogs(my current job), cooking meals, volunteering at the animal shelter, spending time with friends and family, surfing the web, reading and looking for a full time job.

Before I started losing weight I spent ALL of my free time sitting around, watching TV and playing on my computer. I was bored an unhappy so I decided to find other things to do. Now I fill my days with as many activities as possible, I still watch TV and play on the computer, but now I spend about 3-4 hours a day doing those things instead of 8-16 hours a day.

You just have to find things that work for you, but for me once I started adding more variety to my life that lead to wanting to do different activities and so on...

Zoos take volunteers? That is so cool, I'm heading to the zoo as soon as I can to check that out!

Iconised Ghost
05-21-2009, 01:23 AM
Newshinyme, thats exactly what i was thinking! I would do something like, get up, have breakfast, take dog for walk, come home and clean house, have lunch or take a break if you want or if its late enough, do exercise, do volunteer work, WoW in afternoon/evening when you are tired :) You could make an hour of WoW your reward for working out or cleaning etc.

Talina
05-21-2009, 02:09 AM
I would suggest starting a daily routine of waking up, eating a healthy breakfast, then taking Molly for a walk. If you can accomplish that in the morning the rest of your day is open for whatever you choice to do. That way you won't be distracted with WoW and finishing that instance or quest.

As for how long to walk Molly, it depends on her size and how long she's willing to walk with you. When I was taking my dog on walks I would just keep walking as long as neither I nor the dog were too tired. Sometimes it'd be a 20 minute walk. Other times I'd stretch it out for an hour.

If you feel like staying inside instead going for a walk, pull out the Wii fit. Don't forget Wii Sports. The boxing is great cardio. After just 5-10 minutes I can really work a sweat and feel it in my upper back and arms the next day.

The most important thing I've found about adding exercise to my life is to keep remembering my original motivation. That motivation helps me remember that to reach my goals I have to do actually do something about.

Arthwen1985
05-21-2009, 02:15 AM
Oh, you're talking about the alarm clock in-game... yea, knew about that... haha /doh

I just realized something... Molly has a case of separation anxiety... the kind that she continually barks/whines/howls and so on. I am still trying to work on her about that... so I can't really leave the house unless I take her with or arrange my friend (who is moving in 2 months) to watch her or have her dog baby-sit her (she seems to be less quiet that way but we don't know for sure...). So whatever I do outside of my apartment I have to do with her... and she is scared of everything which makes long walking hard on the both of us since there are so many busy streets, dogs (she's ok most times with just one going by but numerous ones or BIG ones she gets scared) and people that she would constantly be tripping me. I do try to get her out during the busy times of day for her to try and get used to the people and whatnot. She is finally somewhat letting dogs smell her and going up to dogs rather than running away but she still does try to run sometimes. Anyways... the dog park may the farthest we go for walks... and it's a block away.

Talina
05-21-2009, 02:22 AM
The dog park might be your best option. Taking her there consistantly will help with socialization. Your 'walk' could be just walking around the dog park with her. Just try to remember to keep moving and your getting your exercise in. Sometimes when I am at the dog park I'll start walking laps around the edge.

Iconised Ghost
05-21-2009, 02:51 AM
yeah you can do laps around the dog park, or you could go to the dog park and gradually move further away, to increase your walk and to gradually get Molly used to new people and places and dogs.

My cats called molly :D All the cool animals are Mollys

Arthwen1985
05-21-2009, 04:45 AM
lol Her given name by her abusive family was Pyra. I tried calling her that several times and she would not look at me. I then decided that can't be her name and went in search of a new name for her. I opened up my book I am still reading and scanned it until I found a female name easy to pronounce and it was Molly. So I thought, what the heck... I'll try it out. I said Molly ONCE and her head snapped around, she looked at me and wagged her tail. So, all the cool animals ARE called Molly. lol

Yea, I tried taking her on longer walks and if she gets spooked in the middle of a street she tries to go back the way we came and that is not safe if we are in a busy crosswalk. I have a 4 lane road nearby me and I had to cross ONCE and she was going in all directions and so I have not yet taken her back. I am trying to train her to walk close to me going across streets but once I say OK she darts then comes back (mostly when I tell her too) or stops sorta in the middle.

But I agree with doing laps. I'll have to figure out somehow how many laps around the block that is... since the park is shared with a school.

mayness
05-21-2009, 11:54 AM
This is kinda long, but I definitely get where you're coming from, even if my life is quite different from yours (I'm a graduate student, I work 9-10 hour days, have a husband, and a big apartment and all the financial and housekeeping responsibilities that come along with it).

As for keeping track of things you want to do each day, do it all online! Or on the computer, anyway. If I write things down, I lose them, or forget to look at them. (I don't care if it's right in front of my face, I'll ignore it somehow.)

I use google calendar to keep track of events (I set it to e-mail or text me reminders, otherwise I'd forget to look at it), excel for my grocery lists and meal plans (though I might switch to google documents so I can keep them online), and an alarm clock program I downloaded that pops up alerts AND plays sounds.

I used to use rememberthemilk.com for to-do lists, and I think I want to get back into that, because lately I've been flaking again. It's like I can make a detailed list while I'm at work/school of what I want to do, figure out how/when to do it most efficiently, and then I get home and all I do is play WoW or watch TV or watch a concert DVD that's over 2 hours long (that was last night :o ).

Truth be told, I'm not always much better at work... I could get a lot more experiments done (I'm a scientist) if I didn't get distracted by stuff on the internet. (As soon as I'm done writing this I'm gonna go do something productive, promise.)

My old way of coping was to eliminate all things that could be distractions (I've quit WoW I don't know HOW many times), but my husband pointed out that's really fixing the symptoms, not the underlying problem. To fix the problem, I've been forcing myself to constantly think, during any activity, "Is there something else I should be doing? Is this the best use of my time? Which of my goals is this helping me accomplish? Do I really WANT to do this or am I just doing it because its here?" Maybe that's what all adults do, and I'm just figuring it out now. :) It's not HARD, but it takes a lot of effort. But, I get stuff done faster, and have time for fun and games.

Oh, and keep track of all the things you DO accomplish! I found a calendar template for excel where I keep track of my exercise (in pretty colors) so I can see how well I've done. Well, I used to, until I forgot about it a few weeks ago. (See what I mean?) You could put stickers on a chart for the things you accomplish each day, like people do for little kids. :D It's just nice to see what you have done, instead of feeling like there are a lot of things you should do.

stellarosa27
05-21-2009, 12:16 PM
I really like everything Mayness said. I use my iPhone for a lot of this stuff - I schedule things on my calendar with alarms, use the alarm clock feature when i have to go to the store, and keep various lists in the notepad feature. At work I use my email inbox as a to-do list - that way I can't lose it :)

Your poor puppy - the dog park sounds like a really good idea - it will help her get used to other animals. Maybe just try to increase your time outside week by week to get her accustomed to the noises? Our beagle was very shy - she lived on a farm for the first few years of her life - and we had to gradually introduce her to the city world. It took a few months, but 10 years later you would never know she was once afraid of someone walking across the room.

As for what I do on a regular day -

5-7am - wake up/work out/eat breakfast/make lunch for work
7-8:30am - get ready for work/drive to work
8:30 - 5:30pm - work
5:30 - 10 pm - Whatever I want!

Different nights of the week have different things - when its not summer I take an Italian class one night a week. One night is usually devoted to watching everything that's DVRed the past week. I go out for a movie and dinner with a friend at least once. Now that its warm out, I'll sit outside and read or take a walk around the neighborhood. I also like crafty stuff. I knit, paint, draw, color or paint pottery.

My roommates are all very into computer games - not WoW but things like Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, etc. so I have to find something to do or I just sit bored and alone. I'm thinking of volunteering in a soup kitchen on the weekends, or maybe getting a second retail job - really something to just get me out and meet more people.

Arthwen1985
05-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Hey Mayness! I think I remember you from before... Wow, that was a lot of really good ideas and one idea you put in there that I was thinking about doing a long time ago and didn't cause I thought it was silly after a while and that was the sticker for everything you've accomplished. I may be 23yrs old but I still have two fascinations that have carried through my childhood into adulthood and they are: BUBBLES ( ') & STICKERS!!!!! I have a box of stickers that I want to put into use but end up just stuffed out of the way and only brought out when I mail a letter or card to someone. I did start stickering my calender for if I have taken my meds that day (before I found out I was allergic to the meds I was put on). I think it would be fun to go and make a nice chart and put it somewhere that's obvious to remind me that I had(n't) done it that day. I don't really know how to use excel on Vista (cause they changed everything around.... I HATE Vista) but I can fiddle and figure it out. I have a gmail account so I should be able to use the calender feature there if I can find it... Lot of really good info. Thanks! A lot of people really put in some good ideas. I'll gather them all up and see which ones work the best. Thanks again.

Arthwen1985
05-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Oh, hey... went to look at the google calender and they have a task panel thingy too... Didn't know if you saw that or not...

Extasee58865
05-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Arthwen1985, please don't take this the wrong way....

Several people have given you suggestions, the best in my opinion, getting of WOW.... But besides the point.... Every suggestion that has been given to you, you come up with an excuse as to why you can not do that particular suggestion.... If you are going to be successful with this or with life in general, you need to stop making excuses for things & JUST DO THEM! You know that your WOW habit & spending all day in front of the computer is not a good habit, so KICK IT! Get rid of the damn game & do something!!! One lady said take a walk with your dog, great idea! Gets you out of the house & gets you some exercise while still being able to enjoy the company of your pet. My concern & reason for maybe being a bit harsh, is that if you can make all these excuses now, what will you do when a piece of pizza or some other unhealthy item comes your way? make up an excuse as to why it would be ok to eat it, totally forgetting about your diet & weight loss goals? To be successful & reach your goals, you must make sacrafices as well as change your life style. Sometimes that means changing things you don't want to change, but realizing that you have to in order to accomplish your goals..... :)

zinkemomx2
05-21-2009, 04:43 PM
I was going to suggest Flylady.net but it seems the site might be down right now.

Arthwen1985
05-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Funny what people call excuses...