Weight Loss Support - Cooking Spray???

View Full Version : Cooking Spray???

iMrsCiCi
05-17-2009, 07:24 PM
Hello All! I was examining the cooking spray (butter flavored) can this morning and I thought of something.

The first ingredient in my cooking spray (it's like the wal-mart brand butter flavored) is soybean oil. Okay, it says it has 0 calories in 1/4 second spray. Well, I don't think a 1/4 second spray is gonna keep my egg whites from sticking to my iron skillet. lol.

So every morning, I put a layer on the bottom of the skillet (like a 2 second spray). What got me was, the first ingredient that is in my 0 calorie cooking spray is the first ingredient in Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing (My old addiction).

So I was wondering, how many calories am I putting on my iron skillet every morning? I don't know if it is still 0 but it's a little confusing for me. :^:

Anyways, I was just wondering if more than a 1/4 sec spray has more calories in it? If any of you know please let me know. Thanks in advance!!

Ija
05-17-2009, 07:26 PM
If you spray for a few seconds, you may be looking at 10-15 calories

iMrsCiCi
05-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Ok, I kinda figured it wasn't still 0 calories! Thanks for the reply and I saw your progress photos and you look amazinggg!

CountingDown
05-17-2009, 07:49 PM
The numbers (http://origin.www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fats-and-oils/9751/2) I have seen are: 6-8 calories/ one second spray.

I have actually switched to a Misto (http://www.amazon.com/Misto-Gourmet-Brushed-Aluminum-Sprayer/dp/B00004SPZV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1242604201&sr=8-1) so that I can control the type of oil that I cook with. No propellents, no lecithin, not to mention the cost savings!

freshmanweightorbust
05-17-2009, 07:56 PM
Wow, I'm so glad iMrsCiCi asked this question and that you gals had answers to it; I've been wondering the same thing myself. I don't think that so few calories are a deterrent - I will continue using the spray. Sometimes I spray my grilled cheese sandwich instead of buttering it for the skillet. The flavor isn't quite the same but I figured the calorie reduction would be worth it. If you ladies are right, it totally is worth it! :)

Ija
05-17-2009, 07:58 PM
I have actually switched to a Misto (http://www.amazon.com/Misto-Gourmet-Brushed-Aluminum-Sprayer/dp/B00004SPZV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1242604201&sr=8-1) so that I can control the type of oil that I cook with. No propellents, no lecithin, etc.

I just got one a couple of weeks ago... I LOVE my Misto!

iMrsCiCi
05-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Wow, I'm so glad iMrsCiCi asked this question and that you gals had answers to it; I've been wondering the same thing myself. I don't think that so few calories are a deterrent - I will continue using the spray. Sometimes I spray my grilled cheese sandwich instead of buttering it for the skillet. The flavor isn't quite the same but I figured the calorie reduction would be worth it. If you ladies are right, it totally is worth it! :)

I agree!! Butter itself has a whole lot more calories in it!!

iMrsCiCi
05-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks CountingDown! I'm going to have to try that Misto also :)