Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #1  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

Default Best way to Exercise

I need to get used to doing exercise again, and was wondering which would be best: Doing a half hour a day, which I would have to force myself to do because my body can't take it, or doing 10 minutes three times a day, which I think my body could handle a bit better? Then slowly increasing until I could do a half hour at one time. I'm just not sure if it would hurt my body to do 10 minutes three times a day, or if it would be ineffective.
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:22 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

There is some research out there to indicate that for maximum cardiovascular benefits, you have to get your HR up for at least 20-30 min at a time. But again, that's for maximum benefits.

Bottom line is that the best type of exercise is the one you'll do, consistently. If 30 min at a time isn't something you can do without suffering, you won't stick with it. But ANYTHING that you can do consistently (10 min at a time, 15, whatever) is the best kind of exercise for you.

The last thing you want is for exercise to be forced/punishing...it'll only make you want to quit. You'll stick with your routine and get better results if you're doing something that's sustainable for you.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:27 PM   #3  
*~Gamer Goddess~*

S/C/G: 236/Ticker/110

Height: 5'1

10 minutes 3x a day sounds great in my opinion. Remember that it all adds up.
StarryNights110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:36 PM   #4  
Gaining Attitude

S/C/G: 205 / 193 / 145

Height: 5'5

I have actually read something recently that suggests shorter bursts of exercise and activity are more productive - although this flies in the face of what we know about the sustained HR. But what I would say is JUST do it!!!! Stick with it and see how it works for YOU. Everyone's body is unique - be guided by your own inner wisdom :-)
bobblefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #5  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I agree with the others. If you don't enjoy it, you won't keep it up.

I have several of the 10 Minute Solutions DVDs and when I'm pressed for time, even 10 minutes is good.

Start slowly, and build as your body is able.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #6  
Learning to fly again

S/C/G: 196/ticker/130

Height: 5' 2"

The way I look at it, 10 minutes is much much better than 0. Build slowly from that as you are comfortable. The last thing you want to do is injure yourself.
Like others here said, there's some research that indicates that shorter bursts are just as effective as longer sustained periods of activity.
Newshinyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #7  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

While I agree that 10 minutes at a time is better than nothing, is there any reason why your body can't take 30 minutes at a time? A nice walk in the evening, for example? A mall stroll? Slow but consistent for 30 minutes?

Just wondering! Because if you push yourself past what you believe your limitations are, you may just surprise yourself!

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote