PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 294/270/170

Height: 5'7

Default Test Results

I recently went to see a Reproductive Endocrinologist because I would like to try to have a baby at some point in my life. I am overweight. I have lost 24lbs recently and still have 100 to go.

The doctor took blood tests including DHEA, Glucose Fasting, Lipid Panel, 17-Hydroxyprogestrone and a few others. All of my labs came back normal. The only lab that indicated PCOS was a slightly elevated HDL (Bad Cholesterol) and low LDL (Good Cholesterol).

The doctor did an internal ultrasound and my ovaries are polycystic. One overay showed ovulation had recently occured and the other one was pitted with cysts.

Has anyone else had normal labs but still have cysts on their ovaries? I am wondering how I can have cysts and still have normal labs?? The doctor said I am not IR. He doesn't see IR in the near future for me either.

I'm all confused here.... is it possible that my cysts on my ovaries will repair themselves or what?
Lady KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #2  
I can!

S/C/G: 227/212/150

Height: 5'5''

PCOS is kind of a misleading term--some women with PCOS never have cysts on their ovaries. The symptoms vary greatly from woman to woman, it seems.

Congrats on your weight loss thus far!

My mom has had cysts on her ovaries that have been treated with a round of medication and in one case surgery...good luck!
LittleBitIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:27 AM   #3  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

My labs were good for my hormone levels, 3hr glucose, etc. but I was diagnosed with PCOS based on other factors. My doctor said that it's more of a clinical diagnosis that needs to be made by looking at the total package of the person rather than having a guarantee that lab work will tell the whole story.

Your chances of pregnancy are greatly improved by getting to a normal weight.

P.S. - You have your good and bad cholesterols confused! LDL is bad (think "L" for lousy) and HDL is good (think "H" for healthy).
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:45 AM   #4  

Thanks for setting me straight on the cholesterol. Both of your comments make sense.

I was posting in the Met forum earlier:
The fertility doctor gave me Met and a Beta Blocker but I am not sure I really want to take these. Will I be on medication for the rest of my life? I'm not really expecting you all to answer that but that is pretty much the question at the fore front of my mind....

I am afraid to take Met and the Beta Blocker. I am already on a diuretic and don't want to take that. My BP is about 130/90 so the doc wants me to keep that below 120/80.

I'll have to pray about this and change some habits ! I am unclear if I should start the Met.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:20 AM   #5  
Never want to go back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady KM View Post
Thanks for setting me straight on the cholesterol. Both of your comments make sense.

I was posting in the Met forum earlier:
The fertility doctor gave me Met and a Beta Blocker but I am not sure I really want to take these. Will I be on medication for the rest of my life? I'm not really expecting you all to answer that but that is pretty much the question at the fore front of my mind....

I am afraid to take Met and the Beta Blocker. I am already on a diuretic and don't want to take that. My BP is about 130/90 so the doc wants me to keep that below 120/80.

I'll have to pray about this and change some habits ! I am unclear if I should start the Met.
I know PCOS can sound scary, but know that continuing on your weight loss journey can only help all of your PCOS symptoms. Certainly your medications related to blood pressure have a great chance of being eliminated by reaching a healthy weight. Metformin is meant to help your body deal with insulin resistance. Many people find it is easier for them to lose weight with it (weight loss is often a side effect). But insulin resistance can also be diminished as you lose weight and cut back on simple sugars. Consider looking into insulin resistance meal planning or diabetic meal planning. The diabetic association dietary recommendations are appropriate for even non-diabetics/non-insulin resistant people to follow as sugars are controlled and carbs are generally healthy complex ones.

For now, trust your doctor. Beta blockers and diuretics are to help your blood pressure and that can be totally unrelated to your PCOS. Blood pressure is nothing to mess around with so take your prescriptions. The Met is for insulin resistance related to PCOS and can help your body deal with sugar/insulin levels and may help you lose weight, which is a good thing! Don't be scared about being on pills forever. You may find you don't need any of these when you are a normal weight. Take care, it will be okay. Focus on getting to a healthy weight. That's what's important right now.

Last edited by CLCSC145; 05-29-2009 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:41 AM   #6  

CLCsc145, Thanks for your support. You have comforted me beyond belief. I will do as the doctor has said and take the meds. I am on blood pressure medication, I need to start the Met.

I'm going to call the pharmacists tomorrow to find out more about the drug interactions between my BP meds and the Met.

Thanks again !!!
Old 05-29-2009, 10:44 PM   #7  
Never want to go back!

You're welcome, Lady KM! I know I cried when I was diagnosed, but I've come to realize there are far worse things one can have and there is so much we can do to improve our symptoms!

P.S. - Feel free to join us over in the 100 lb. club. It's a GREAT group and they can really help with support!
Old 05-30-2009, 12:16 AM   #8  
thin girl in me wants out

S/C/G: 193/189/132

Height: 5'4"

My SIL had perfectly normal labs, but PCOS on both ovaries. She had one very small keyhole operation and is now 6 months pregnant
gretchen1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:46 AM   #9  

What is the key hole operation; ovarian drilling?
Old 06-01-2009, 04:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

PCOS can be tricky to diagnose. For me it was the opposite. I have nothing on my ovaries, they look normal except the left one is slightly smaller. But my blood works are a mess and show that I have PCOS
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:21 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I had no lab work that indicated PCOS, but a month long-period and an ultrasound led me to find that I actually do have it. So yes, it's possible to have the cysts without lab work showing it.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote