Old 05-13-2009, 08:04 PM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Default I LOVE YOU...BUT...Mid-Week Boost

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God.

This is love: not that we loved God,
but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.

1 John 4:7, 11

I Love you, but…

It is easy to put conditions on our love, isn't it?

When we say, “I love you” – we might really mean:

“I love you as long as you don't hurt me.”

”I love you as long as you make me happy.”

“I love you as long as you love me back."

"I love you as long as it doesn't take a lot of work on my part."

That is not really love, is it? A love with conditions is no love at all.

The scripture tells us what love is: Love comes from God.

In the previous chapter (1 John 3), we learn:

"How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!"

"This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.
And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers."

"And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us."

God's love is not based on emotion, and He does not put conditions on His love for us by saying: “I love you but…”

As vicar pointed out this weekend, God says I love you and….

I died for you.

I sent my Spirit to strengthen you.

I strengthen you every time you meet Me in Word and Sacrament.

God loves us UNCONDITIONALLY, and He calls on us to do the same with those around us.

He not only loves us when we do things that please him, even when we are sinful, hurting ourselves and others, Christ still loves us - just as we are!

He comes, "while we were still sinners", and suffers and dies for us.

We in turn, as Christ's followers, are to love with the same kind of love, not just when someone pleases us and deserves it, but our Christian love should be given unconditionally, whatever is needed, helpful, and appropriate to those around us.

In the Greek, it is called "agape", the kind of love that is given when it is needed, in the form it is needed, in the manner it is needed. It has it's origins in Christ and comes only to us through our union with Him given to us in Word and Sacrament.

He intends us to move beyond easy words of "I love you" to living acts of love in Christian service to one another through Christ's atoning sacrifice for us on the cross, and His Holy Spirit working in our lives.

We are God’s Beloved children, Alleluia!

Let us pray.

O God, Grant that we may love what You have commanded and desire what You promise, that among the many changes of this world our hearts may remain where true joys are found; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever

AMEN
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

That AGAPE love that GOD showed us, and JESUS exemplified for us, is exactly what drew me to GOD and JESUS, ever since I was a little girl; and continues to draw me now.

Some of my family are very loving people; but sadly, several of them cannot seem to see beyond appearance and money (esp becuz of my weight): so, the love I have found in the LORD is even more important to me for that reason. His mercy helps me to forgive them for their unkindnesses too.

GOD's love is what keeps me going; and I am so glad that he doesn't put conditions on His love like human beings do all too often. The love JESUS CHRIST shares with me daily is what gives me hope -- for today, tomorrow, and the future ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:16 PM   #3  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwant2Bhealthy View Post
.....GOD's love is what keeps me going; and I am so glad that he doesn't put conditions on His love like human beings do all too often. The love JESUS CHRIST shares with me daily is what gives me hope -- for today, tomorrow, and the future ...
AMEN! Sister!!!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #4  
I'm Praying for a Miracle

S/C/G: 232/196/159

Height: 5'6 1/2

Amen... We seem to think love is conditional..
dont give me what i want, i will get it from someone else..

I pray we all our given strength. to realize how precious love is..
and to love everyone each day.. especially the people who dont love us back..
God Bless you All.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote