100 lb. Club - Finally...

View Full Version : Finally...

Jen415
05-13-2009, 10:07 AM
...the second 10 pounds are gone! :carrot:

I wanted to share that victory with you all--a small victory for some, but a big victory for me.

I also wanted to share something else that is going on with me. Last week, as I was eating my way through a whole box of sugar free ice cream bars, I finally admitted that I am a compulsive overeater and sugar addict. My problem is not solely a physical problem, but a spiritual and emotional problem. No matter what food plan I go on, unless I get to the root of my problem, I will never be free.

I have been attending Overeaters Anonymous meetings online and reading everything I can get my hands on. I also have a friend who is a 12 stepper for a different addiction who is supporting me. I am planning to attend a face to face meeting in my area soon, and am keeping my eyes and heart open for a sponsor who has the kind of recovery I want.

I have not binged in five days, and I have not had sugar since 4/27. I am grateful for every abstinent day.

I wanted to share this here because I consider the 100 lb Club to be my home, and its members to be my family.

Thank you for being on this journey with me. Much love to you all!

nik1305
05-13-2009, 10:14 AM
That's so awesome!! 20 lbs is HUGE victory!!! I've found that having support is SO important to my weight loss. & congrats to you for realizing and getting the support you need as well :) ... and not having sugar since 4/27.. Man! I can't even imagine that! You go girl! hehe The best of luck to you... You can do it!!! Keep it up :D

Momto2Ms
05-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Congratulations on 20lbs!! I bet that felt wonderful! And even bigger congratulations on your realization because it will surely ultimately lead to more and more 10lbs weight losses. WTG!!

Delphi
05-13-2009, 10:34 AM
:congrat: on the loss! That is a huge accomplishment you should be very proud of. :)

Slashnl
05-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Awesome job!! Glad to hear about it!

ShutterK
05-13-2009, 10:36 AM
Congratulations on your 20 pound weightloss! That is incredible, don't doubt that! :D

As for the overeating and binging, it is VERY common. I get like that and I know plenty of people who have. You've recognized the problem and that is definitely the first step.

Good luck!

nelie
05-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Congratulations :) You should be proud of yourself.

rockinrobin
05-13-2009, 11:00 AM
20 lbs GONE. History. Over and out. Done with. FOREVER. Oh Jen, this is FANTASTIC. What a great accomplishment. You are well on your way.

I too am/was/am a compulsive over eater. It's a lifelong condition, but it is a manageable one. With the proper tools and habits in place my "condition" is kept in check. So know that there is most definitely a way to live a healthy life with this "disease". :hug:

Kae
05-13-2009, 11:04 AM
That's a great accomplishment! Keep up the awesome work... :)

Rosinante
05-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Congratulations, the second 10 is mega!!

I too am a recovering overeater ~ it is possible but it is also lifelong.

Here's something I never thought I'd do: had one of the bosses for a coffee-time meeting today, so bought some goooood cookies. He ate none, neither did I . After he left I ate 1, that was budgetted for the day. Not only did I wrap up the others and freeze them (I still need to have them out of sight) I was able to enjoy the cookie, really savour it - and observe that was one enough. No kidding, I meant it. I'm not boasting, I'm saying there's hope!

cfmama
05-13-2009, 11:15 AM
OMG my friend. You can do it! You ARE doing it!!!! That many days sugar free is HUGE. I too am a sugar addict so I know exactly how hard it is. I am so proud of you. This is a huge accomplishment and you should be shouting it from the rooftops :)

I can't WAIT for the next 10 lbs lost announcement from you. I have a feeling it will be soon :)

WhitePicketFences
05-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Oh Jen, that's so wonderful! It is a big victory.

That's how it comes off. 10 lbs here. Another 10 lbs there. That stuff adds up!

Exploring help with the overeating problem -- that is a victory, too. You're doing the right thing. You can and you will overcome it.

Tai
05-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Congrats Jen! You're doing so well.

Jen415
05-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks, y'all! I feel really good about my accomplishment so far, but I cannot rest on my laurels....that's when I get myself in trouble. I have to be ever vigilant.

I just love the support here! Thanks so much!

GirlyGirlSebas
05-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Congratulations, Jen! That is a huge accomplishment.

I'm also a sugar-a-holic and have emotional and spiritual baggage. I must constantly remind myself that this journey is not only about my physical health. My mental and spiritual health are also important.

chickiegirl
05-13-2009, 01:50 PM
Congratulations on the loss!

And I think it's so great you're trying something new that you feel will work for you. I hope you get what you need out of the OA program, or at the very least, I hope it points you in the direction of where you need to go. It sounds like it's helping already.

SnowboundChick
05-13-2009, 02:05 PM
You are doing so great! What a wonderful accomplishment, the 20lbs lost and the sugar free days. Way to go Jen!

Missunderstood
05-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Welll done - and the fact that you can admit to being an overeater is even bigger. I think many of us are; I know I am. I binged yesterday. It's BS, and I am afraid to go my local OEA because I live in a small town. Your post actually helped me too!

Jen415
05-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Missunderstood: Try the online meetings.....they are very helpful, and you wont have to worry about anyone recognizing you!

Thighs Be Gone
05-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Jen,

I want to congratulate you on saying "Guh-BYE" to that 20 pounds. What an incredible gift you are giving to yourself.

Thank you for such an honest post too. I would also like to find an OA group in my area. How does the online thing work? I find my problems are very similar to your own--sugar addiction and compulsive overeating. I also am honest with myself and 3FC when I say the problem definitely does go beyond the physical for me--it is spiritual, it is emotional. I am trying my best to feed all three parts of me nowadays with things other than just food.

And your 20 pound loss--it is a HuGe ViCtOrY!!!! OMG! You are kickin' obesity's big fat booty! You are rockin'! I can't wait to read about your next success. Mary :)

DCHound
05-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Good for you!! Good for you!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! 20 pounds is a big huge deal!!!!!! You are doing GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

time2lose
05-14-2009, 10:36 AM
Congratulations on the weight loss and the insight. Having that insight and tackling the real problem can make the difference between success and failure. Way to go, I am sure that you will succeed!

Devsmama
05-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Congrats on the loss!! I think I may be a sugar addict too. I am going to have to cut out sugar for a bit including fruit.

Sandi
05-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Jen! :hug: I think it's awesome that you are seeing that sometimes the problem is about more than food. I think I too will start looking into the online meetings, I went to a local meeting, but didn't like the group.

:carrot::carrot: WAY TO GO! on the 20 lbs! :carrot::carrot:

barefootnikki
05-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks, y'all! I feel really good about my accomplishment so far, but I cannot rest on my laurels....that's when I get myself in trouble. I have to be ever vigilant.

I just love the support here! Thanks so much!

*Ever Vigilant* is the perfect phrase, ESPECIALLY for an COE. You did great to realize it and to actually take steps to help beat it too!

Congrats on the double 10!! You are on the road sweetie... well done!

Jen415
05-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Someone explained it to me this way:

Recovery from overeating (or any addiction) is like a 3 legged stool...every leg on that stool needs to be solid or else you'll fall over! That's why I know diets have never worked for me because I have ignored the emotional and spiritual aspects of my weight.

The reality is....I will never be "cured" or "recovered". This is a process that I will need every single day for the rest of my life. But the payoff? More peace, joy and freedom than I've ever felt! :)

Cinnamon
05-14-2009, 01:52 PM
That's so great!

I am on my first week of no sugar, soda, & binging. I've looked into OA but never had the courage to go. I didn't realize they had online meetings. I'll have to check that out. Thanks for sharing :) I'd also love to hear if you think the meetings are helping.

Jen415
05-14-2009, 01:55 PM
The meetings are definitely helping! There are 8 different meetings at all different times of the day....all I have to do is log on and join in! :)

Jennelle
05-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Sugar and white carbs have always been an issue for me, too, so I totally know where you're coming from! The best part about being sugar-free is that the cravings diminish to almost nothing after a while. :)