20-Somethings - any coffee lovers out there?

View Full Version : any coffee lovers out there?

sassybangs
05-13-2009, 06:36 AM
hey there. im just wondering if there are any coffee addicts like me here on this board. i LOVE coffee. drink 3+ cups a day, and more than a pot on the weekends. but i like a little extra in my joe and im tired of wasting 50 cals a cup on creamer. has anyone found success with a particular sugar free syrup? ive tried a few, and they make my coffee taste like crap. just wasted 50 bucks experimenting with different flavors. any suggestions would be yummy. :coffee:

mayness
05-13-2009, 07:54 AM
I've found that most flavored syrups and even flavored coffees just don't taste very good to me without creamer. Unless I use a ton of vanilla syrup, but I hate taking in that much fake sweetener each day.

It may sound crazy (it does to most people) but you could use skim milk in your coffee. I'd recommend working down to it.. either by mixing it with your creamer of choice, or moving to whole milk then 2% then skim. It has less calories, less fat, and I think more protein. So at least you're getting something useful out of it. :) If your creamer is sweetened and you like that, you'll need to add splenda or something, since milk is obviously not all that sweet on its own.

AmberShimmer
05-13-2009, 08:57 AM
I do drink coffee every morning. But I have to have my creamer with it. I tried going without and I'm so used to creamer that black didn't taste good to me. I use International Delight White Chocolate Coconut flavor right now. It's almost 100 calories per tablespoon which is a lot to spend on when you're counting calories. But I've noticed if I have that one cup of coffee with creamer in the morning, I don't care much for any other type of candy or sweet stuff the rest of the day.

MindiV
05-13-2009, 08:59 AM
I use fat free stuff....about 35 calories per tablespoon. Maybe I'm weird, but I don't notice a difference between the fat free and sugar free and the regular....

I also drink 1/2 decaf coffee, though. I LOVE coffee but the caffeine was doing weird things to me when I drank the 100% caffeine stuff.

annie175
05-13-2009, 09:16 AM
Believe it or not, try about a tablespoon of cinnamon in with your coffee/filter before brewing. Cinnamon does great things for the body also.

NishKitten
05-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Fat Free half and half. 20 cals for 2 tbsp.

As for the sugar, I use organic raw sugar. It has a molasses-y flavor to it that is really pleasant, and just a teaspoon is enough to give it a hint of sweetness. I am a complete snob. I don't believe in artificial sweetener and I don't like flavors in my coffee. I spend a lot to buy organic Columbian Supremo, it already has a slightly sweet flavor to it, and that's what I want to taste. LoL.

ValRock
05-13-2009, 09:54 AM
I've worked down to Stevia and and a littls splash of Skim Milk. I don't eat/drink nearly enough dairy so I'm sure my body likes it anyway. I don't even miss the high cal creamer at this point :).

willow650
05-13-2009, 10:00 AM
I love coffee!!!(Sorry 20somethings,I butting in...LOL) I can't stand sugar free syrups, Splenda has some coffee flavors that aren't bad. I like using International Delights Suisse Mocha(sugar free). Its 35 calories a serving. This stuff is made to just be put in hot water but I added to my coffee. The calorie range probably isnt going to be much difference for you. I dd 1 serving to 12oz off coffee and 4oz skim milk. Since it is summer I make mine iced so thats a 16oz iced mocha for only 80 calories. cant get that at starbucks...lol Sometimes I have this 2 times a day, I just make sure it fits in my day.

Dria
05-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Believe it or not, try about a tablespoon of cinnamon in with your coffee/filter before brewing. Cinnamon does great things for the body also.

What a great idea.
In Canada we have Tim Hortons and I loved my double doubles... til I was told one large double double (2 cream 2 sugar) is equal to a piece of chocolate cake. Then I switched to black coffee which I can do no biggie.... but what great idea to "spice" it up a little. I am going to try that!!!

JulieJ08
05-13-2009, 12:44 PM
I really love a latte without any sweetener. I wouldn't have when I was eating a ton of sugar every day, but now, I prefer it as a non-sweet treat.

I also had some hazelnut flavored coffee beans that I used once and loved.

stellarosa27
05-13-2009, 12:55 PM
What about the sweetened almond milk? It could give you some flavor while giving you the milk. Its less calories than skim milk and has a thicker consistency.

PinkyPie
05-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Also not a 20-something (by far!) but you asked :)

Yes I love coffee and I am a purist which means I don't put sugar or syrup in my coffee and I definitely don't use creamer. I love straight shots of espresso, or brewing my favourite in a french oress or making a Clover cup of something exotic :)

I am very picky about my coffee. Luckily I work for a very large coffee company so I can literally make whatever I fancy, whenever I want. Last year I was even the Coffee Ambassador for our region. So yeah, coffee is *almost* my favourite subject :)

Callie1983
05-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Also not a 20-something (by far!) but you asked :)

Yes I love coffee and I am a purist which means I don't put sugar or syrup in my coffee and I definitely don't use creamer. I love straight shots of espresso, or brewing my favourite in a french oress or making a Clover cup of something exotic :)

I am very picky about my coffee. Luckily I work for a very large coffee company so I can literally make whatever I fancy, whenever I want. Last year I was even the Coffee Ambassador for our region. So yeah, coffee is *almost* my favourite subject :)

WOW! How lucky are you?!?!?!?! That's awesome!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Coffee! I like it just about any way you can give it to me... Creamer, flavored creamers, sugar, iced, etc. It's never bothered me to drink it black either though, which has been very good for my weight loss.

I havent had anything but black coffee since March 1st. I drink one or two cups a morning when I get into work. It makes me so happy when I walk in the door and I smell that someone has already made it. And I get very cranky if anything/anyone distracts me before I get my first cup down! :p

cooperistic
05-13-2009, 01:43 PM
I am going to go against the grain here and suggest that you try something completely different. I was totally like you, I couldn't function without my 3 cups a day with creamer and I also loaded mine with sugar which made it even worse. I decided that I would try green tea- I have become addicted! It's like 4 calories per bag and the caffeine is much more subtle and long lasting than coffee. I also find I don't get a huge crash like I would with coffee.

My favorite is the Tazo 'Zen' flavor from Starbucks. Just thought I throw it out there!

skinnywish
05-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Mmmmm coffee:coffee:

i luckily LOVE black coffee, so haven't had to change that aspect of my diet at least....i will occasionally have a "fancy" coffee as a treat, but 2 (or 3, or 4) cups of black coffee is an essential part of my morning!

merose
05-13-2009, 02:18 PM
I am a coffee FIEND! Oh I love it :) but the best thing I ever did was to go out and buy a proper espresso machine - if I buy really good coffee beans I find I don't need sweetener or milk (I have no idea what creamer is, we don't have it in the UK or Australia!). If I'm feeling in need of a little comfort I just add a little low fat milk. But I think you can train yourself to love black coffee. I did.

Oh, and a really rich espresso it the perfect thing for a cold morning!

Thighs Be Gone
05-13-2009, 02:23 PM
My coffee really helps me get through the day..I drink a lot...I usually use sweetner and skim milk..I tried doing soy milk the other day and it just didn't take--taste was off and the soy didn't seem to mix into the coffee as well as skim milk...anyone have any suggestions?

I would like to get away from the sweetners..I am thinking to MAKE myself drink my coffee without any sugar or sweetner for a week to see if I can "get used" to it..

JulieJ08
05-13-2009, 02:33 PM
My coffee really helps me get through the day..I drink a lot...I usually use sweetner and skim milk..I tried doing soy milk the other day and it just didn't take--taste was off and the soy didn't seem to mix into the coffee as well as skim milk...anyone have any suggestions?

I would like to get away from the sweetners..I am thinking to MAKE myself drink my coffee without any sugar or sweetner for a week to see if I can "get used" to it..

I like it with a vanilla soymilk, one with not too much sugar (some have a lot). It means some added sugar, but it's still less sugars than regular milk. I'm not perfectly thrilled with this solution, but I can't solve all my issues at once ;) Even though I have like (and prefer) a real milk latte without sugar or vanilla, I find that at present, with soymilk I need the vanilla and a bit of sweetness to mask the soy taste.

Also, cinnamon helps :) I love cinnamon in my coffee. I just wish it dissolved better.

rocketbunny
05-13-2009, 02:35 PM
I can't drink black coffee. Too much is missing.

I've managed to train myself to put in only one container of creamer (35 cals) and my usual 2 sweet-n-lows. I will have at least one every morning and (depending on points available) sometimes I allow myself one more in the afternoon. Other than that I'm typically guzzling too much water to miss the coffee.

Thighs Be Gone
05-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Thx Julie. I have seen the vanilla but not ever purchased it. I want to add soy milk as a staple into my nutrition as I have been reading about it in my Superfoods book that Glory recommended. Do you drink coffee before you run? I have found I can't.

Thighs Be Gone
05-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Rocket, you bring up a great point--I really need to be UPPING my water not my coffee...I had been doing it religiously for months but switched to coffee in winter (not conciously really) to help keep warm! Even with the heat going and my fire too, I was cold to the bone. With summer here it really is time to go back to my religious water drinking.

ringmaster
05-13-2009, 02:37 PM
I do drink coffee every morning. But I have to have my creamer with it. I tried going without and I'm so used to creamer that black didn't taste good to me. I use International Delight White Chocolate Coconut flavor right now. It's almost 100 calories per tablespoon which is a lot to spend on when you're counting calories. But I've noticed if I have that one cup of coffee with creamer in the morning, I don't care much for any other type of candy or sweet stuff the rest of the day.

I'm drinking that one right now :D

Good question though, I'd like to find something to add to my coffee since I also drink alot throughout the day. I've tried vanilla soymilk and almond milk, and they get a bit separated in coffee and don't always taste good in it.

Smiling_Sara
05-13-2009, 02:38 PM
if i could live on coffee, i would.

JulieJ08
05-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Do you drink coffee before you run? I have found I can't.

I never tried drinking it before I run. I'm usually wanting to get out the door quickly, and I like to savor my coffee slowly.

I would adore a schedule in which I could have a leisurely cup of coffee or tea before exercising. I'd need another 1/2 hour in my morning I guess :)

Thighs Be Gone
05-13-2009, 02:44 PM
ditto here Julie--exactly...

PinkyPie
05-13-2009, 03:20 PM
I drink tea in the morning and afternoon - but normally the herbal teas. And yes, they are Tazo :) My favourite is "Calm" or "Zen", what was mentioned on the first page of posts. So I drink Coffee before I leave the house, I take coffee with me on the train, I have a Triple Tall NF Latte first thing in the morning when I arrive at the office, a tea for midmorning snack, a tea after lunch and then if and when I fancy I'll have another sort of coffee, but not too much after 3pm.

"creamer" for those outside of the US is cream or half and half.

Taylor86
05-13-2009, 03:25 PM
I am drinking an iced grande skinny vanilla latte from starbucks - only 80 calories! I gotta becareful about my coffee though - if I drink too much my blood sugar gets all funky and I crave snacks.

I do enjoy tea, too. I drink lots of it. OOoo I love calm! I will steep some in an ice tea container and then stick it on the fridge! That's heaven on a summer day!

stellarosa27
05-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Where did you get this iced tea container you speak of? I've been meaning to make my own iced tea, but don't know where or how to do it.

Taylor86
05-13-2009, 04:34 PM
You can get an ice tea container at most any stores...king soopers, safeway, whole foods....etc...

Boil some water fill it to the top and add about 3 tea bags (whatever tea you like) for every gallon (I add more, I like it strong) and then steep for 30 minutes..put it in the fridge, wait for it to cool and enjoy!

I keep my tea bags in the container cause I like getting the most favor out of it but be careful leaving green tea bags in - it may get bitter.

Wolf Goddess
05-13-2009, 05:50 PM
I love mine with 2 tablespoons of REGULAR half & half and a packet of Splenda. The regular half & half has only 17 calories per tablespoon, and nothing fat or lactose free can top the flavor, IMO.

lissa9501
05-13-2009, 06:06 PM
coffee..perks up i learned to cut down on the sugar i use. i used to fill the bottom of cup now i just 1 teaspoon of sugar. as for creamer i dont like sugar free or fat free so coffee is my weakness i indulge on that

sassybangs
05-13-2009, 07:29 PM
man i had no idea this thread was going to blow up. thanks for all the great ideas. ive got some serious experimenting to do. i already put some cinnamon in my first pot of the day (YUM!). you guys are awesome.

Tryingtostayskinny
05-13-2009, 08:00 PM
I love coffee and i drink it black. Sometimes I have an overpriced fancy Starbucks Frappucino as a rare treat.

Star2Be
05-15-2009, 03:14 AM
Oooh, I loooove coffee!!! I drink it black, too. Mmm. :D

The only problem with coffee, though, is that I tend to be a little sensitive to the caffeine, so I can't drink it very often--it seems like whenever I have it (even if I have it very early in the day!) I'm up ALL NIGHT. In fact, that's the reason why I'm still awake now!! :p I knew I shouldn't have had that iced coffee today... But I couldn't help myself. ;)

krock614
05-15-2009, 08:11 AM
I am sooo addicted to coffee! I drink it all day everyday. Luckily caffeine doesn't really affect me too much. I'm staying in a hotel this week and was very excited to find out they have fresh coffee 24 hrs a day plus a coffee pot in my room. That's how bad I am about it!!