Weight Loss Support - Do you look like your weight?

View Full Version : Do you look like your weight?

rainy
05-12-2009, 10:53 AM
The few people that know my weight (I mean numbers) say I don't look like my weight. I was 210 pounds when I started my diet, I am about 188 now, my target is 154, my friends, my beautician...they all say I look like I was 154 now! The thing is I don't think they a lying, at least not my friends, they won't.
I find it frustrating honestly, if I look like 154 why cannot I be 154??:mad: And more frustrating when I say 'I started at 210' and they don't believe me. :o WTF, despite my scale free life I have 3 damn scales in my flat, and all 3 said 210 when I started!:(

newself09
05-12-2009, 10:57 AM
I don't look like my weight either. In fact, when I was around 250 pounds I would go to the doctor and they would always start the scale in the 100 pound range and slide it slowly all the way to the right and then act surprised and change it to the 200 range and be even more surprised to go clear to the middle lol

I gained my weight slowly and carry it well, evenly throughout my body which probably is why it doesn't look like I weigh as much as I do. I am also a big boned 5'7" and can carry more weight on my frame than other women. Maybe your body is similar?

JayEll
05-12-2009, 11:02 AM
People were kind in their comments and said that I didn't look my weight, and for years I took that as a good thing.

But how I looked wasn't important--the risk of diabetes, high blood pressure, clogged arteries, and joint damage were far more important.

One day I looked at myself naked in front of a full-length mirror. That told me that those kind comments about my weight were just that--kind. I was obese, and I looked it.

Forget what people tell you and continue to lose weight! :yes:

Jay

starfishkitty
05-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Most people that know me say the same... I started at 250 something and people were shocked to find out that I weighed that much. They still are shocked when I tell them what I weigh now. Usually people would quote me at about 200 when I'm actually about 230ish. I think, like someone said above, it's pretty evenly distributed on me even though I'm actually pretty short. I have a big chest and a big butt (but are curvy enough to still get guys interested, surprisingly enough), so it kinda evens out my thighs and stomach. Thank God. But seriously, still.... Need to lose it. :/ I KNOW I'll look 80 million times better than I do now, by far!

DCHound
05-12-2009, 11:05 AM
I am 265-ish and I can juuuust squeeze into a size 16. 16!!!! That makes no sense, people!!! My 18s are getting baggy!!!

One of the ladies here at work, who is about the same height as me (maybe an inch taller) a size 20 or so, guessed my weight at 200 even.

One of my best friends is on WW. She's 5'10, 190 lbs after losing 40, and we trade clothes back-and-forth all the time. My arms and legs are a lot bigger than hers, but my waist measurement is a couple inches smaller.

I have a huge frame, big-boned, enormous hands and feet (probably the only woman on earth who's only 5'8 but wears a size 13 shoe), and my weight is evenly distributed all over.

So, NO, I don't think I look my weight AT ALL.

Jinksie
05-12-2009, 11:07 AM
i get similar responses, generally from people who aren't my friends or family.

I had a discussion with my husbands friend last year about it; he asked how much i weighed (around 217 at that point) and i reluctantly told him. He seemed shocked and didn't believe me. Maybe i dress well to cover it up? lol

Some people just distribute it better around their bodies, like newself said.

starfishkitty
05-12-2009, 11:08 AM
I agree Jay.... seriously, I shock myself when I actually take off my clothes and stand naked in front of a mirror. THAT'S when the actual horribleness (bumps, rolls, stretch marks) all pop out. *sigh* THAT'S when I just want to strangle the people who say I "look okay". Yeah... THAT'S because you don't see me with my clothes off buddy. :nono:

Not to mention the health issues as mentioned. :tape:

Jinksie
05-12-2009, 11:09 AM
But how I looked wasn't important--the risk of diabetes, high blood pressure, clogged arteries, and joint damage were far more important.

agreed

I agree Jay.... seriously, I shock myself when I actually take off my clothes and stand naked in front of a mirror. THAT'S when the actual horribleness (bumps, rolls, stretch marks) all pop out. *sigh* THAT'S when I just want to strangle the people who say I "look okay". Yeah... THAT'S because you don't see me with my clothes off buddy. :nono:

Not to mention the health issues as mentioned. :tape:

:hug:

Operator265
05-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Just had my X tell me last night that I really didn't need to lose anymore. I still have and hour glass figure and even did at 216. But, I carry much of it it my stomach area up front, which is putting pressure on my lungs and other internal organs. Not a good thing. So, I'm still going to lose. However, I doubt I'll go much below 130 since that is where I was at my most fit. Any less, I don't feel, would be improving my health and could be damaging. We'll see.

Just remember, the scale weight is just a number. It's about your health. Looking hot is a bonus.

Operator265
05-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Yeah... THAT'S because you don't see me with my clothes off buddy. :nono:

Too funny. That's exactly what I said to my X. He asked, "How old are you." Dude, I don't give a darn how old I am. I still wanna be hot. Even if nowadays it just comes in flashes.

JulieJ08
05-12-2009, 11:41 AM
People just have no idea how much other people weigh. Why should they have any idea except for someone of their own height, build and weight range? It's really tricky because people of the same size can have such wildly varying weights compared to each other. 50 pounds even. And on top of that, a lot of people arbitrarily equate a certain weight with obesity or health or skinniness. For example, they once heard that a supermodel weighs 115 ... they think *you* look great ... therefore you must weight 115.

mayness
05-12-2009, 11:41 AM
I think I look my weight, but my husband definitely does not!

At his highest weight of 215, which is just into the "obese" category for his height, lots of people refused to believe he was even overweight! He is very muscular, which helps. I don't think he got above a size 34 in pants. He pointed out what JayEll said, that diabetes and heart disease and your joints don't care whether you look your weight. :)

Don't worry about what others say... do what you think is best for your health and try to ignore them if they give you crap about it. They aren't the ones living in your body.

newleaf123
05-12-2009, 11:42 AM
I don't think I could properly guess anyone's weight, friend, family or stranger. So I think when you tell people a weight, it sounds like a huge number, and their natural response is just "that can't be..."

WhitePicketFences
05-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Yeah, it's just so hard to tell. I used to think I didn't look my weight, but that's because when I was thin (the many years I was between 125-150 lbs) people would tease me, saying, "You're so skinny~ what are you, 100 lbs soaking wet?" Now I realize that was all men and much shorter, young women. Some people, especially younger people, many males and those who have not struggled with weight, seem to think that anyone who's thin is below or just above 100, and anyone who is "fat" is like 200. When in fact people can be overweight at numbers low to a very tall person, or look fit at close to 200 lbs.

I do think I look my weight right now. I just hope I don't look bigger. I feel like I do, but that's probably from having so recently been much bigger.

alinnell
05-12-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm quite successful in hiding my flaws with clothing. When I was at goal I wore a lot of form fitting clothes. Not so much now that I've gained some back. I have to wear a looser shirt to hide the tummy rolls! I don't really get "fat" but I get "thick." Although I may have a little more in certain areas (tummy and hips) I tend to gain and lose all over. So when I was at my highest, no one believed what I weighed. Being tall certainly helps, too. I remember sitting in a restaurant when I was at or close to goal and I had my arms crossed and was holding onto my biceps. And I noticed how skinny they felt! My goal is to get back to those skinny arms!!

Smiling_Sara
05-12-2009, 12:17 PM
IDK, I told my sister when I weighed 203 and she said she thought I didn't weigh that much. I see myself in the mirror and think I look heavier than I am.

Beany
05-12-2009, 12:22 PM
I'd like to say that I don't look my weight... I think I have a little trouble seeing reality on that front.

Like JulieJ said, I think it's really hard for people to guess other people's weight. I think this is especially true for men. When I met my fiancee, I was about 175 and a size 12. I recently told him that when we were discussing my weight loss efforts. He is insistent that there's no way I weighed 175, I must have been about 135. I told him that if I had weighed 135 I would have gone into modeling - HA!:p

Starlet
05-12-2009, 01:00 PM
I don't look my weight either (although I know I have to take a lot off because my #1 goal is that I want to be healthy). Right now at 209pds I fit into a size 12 and people think I'm around 170 pounds. Nobody ever believes me when I tell them my real size. It will just make it that much better when I get down to 160pds and look like I'm 130ish LOL

Lachelle
05-12-2009, 01:08 PM
I don't think I look my weight either. I was complaining about it once to DH, and he said, "No, you're not fat. Once a girl jumped on my back that was 300 pounds, SHE was fat." I weighed 302 the day he said that.

TJFitnessDiva
05-12-2009, 01:09 PM
I think people have a hard time with either A. having something nice to say or B. have a hard time visualizing weight. ;)

I mainly get the comments that "oh my gosh you don't look like you weight that much!" from acquaintances or distant family. The rest I think knows I will call them on the BS :lol:

Botzz
05-12-2009, 01:15 PM
People never guess my weight even close, friends, family, no one. I am 6'5'' and currently 341 pounds and my brother says that I am not over 275, I wish! that's my goal! I think that it is a blessing to not look like I weigh as much as I do (which does not mean that I don't think I do because I think that I do look like I weigh that much) but it doesn't bug me either way.

let me take my shirt off and there is no doubt that I am BIG lol

I would post a recent photo of myself and you could tell me if I look my weight but since I am only 7 pounds away from losing 200 total I am waiting to hit that number before new pics go up ;)

the short answer, I think I look my weight but no one else seems to.

As Ever
Me

Tayja
05-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Another who doesnt look her weight. I'm around 207 right now and only 5'2, I'm around a size 16 in bottoms and large/xl/xxl in tops depending on how its made.

The last time some one commented on my weight I was pushing 220 and wearing 18/20 bottoms and XXL/1X tops, I was actually working at the YMCA (not in a fitness aspect but as the in house graphic designer). When I decided to make use of my free employee membership and started talking to other staff members, NO ONE could believe I was almost 220 and wearing those sizes.

When some one asked me how much I was wanting to lose and I said about 100lbs they looked at me like I had two heads until I took them in the fitness office and got on the scale.

My boss actually said to me one day when I commented on the dress she was wearing, Oh I got it on sale at XYZ Store you should get one your what a size 12? I walked on air the rest of that day :lol:

Lori Bell
05-12-2009, 01:54 PM
I pretty much look as fat as I am, all it takes is a digital camera and I'm seeing it. Sometimes a mirror tells lies.

I have a friend who keeps telling me she weighs 250, and there is no way on Gods green earth that is all she weighs. NO WAY... Matter of fact for some reason people have been confessing their weight to me a lot lately, and every single one looks bigger than what they say....guess I just have an eye for fat...LOL Though I always try to be nice and say something like..."Really? you sure don't look it." ;)

newleaf123
05-12-2009, 05:28 PM
I have to say, reading this thread, I'm surprised by how much talk must be going on about how much people weigh! I have never in my adult life (and I'm 44) been asked (other than at the dr's) how much I weigh, told anyone how much I weigh, asked someone else what they weigh, or been told by someone else what they weigh.

*Maybe* when I've felt thin (I've yo-yo'd a few times) I've told my husband what I weigh, but other than that, I don't even talk about it with him.

CountingDown
05-12-2009, 06:01 PM
I think having an hourglass figure does help. People actually argue with me when i tell them I have lost 95 lbs. They don't believe that I had that much to lose.

And - I didn't think I looked my weight either. Now, in retrospect - I looked every single one of those 215 lbs. I look at my before picture and shudder. That really was me for many, many years.

Jay is right - it doesn't matter how we look, it matters whether it is or will eventually affect our health.

sunflowergirl68
05-12-2009, 06:07 PM
I don't look like my weight either. In fact, when I was around 250 pounds I would go to the doctor and they would always start the scale in the 100 pound range and slide it slowly all the way to the right and then act surprised and change it to the 200 range and be even more surprised to go clear to the middle lol

I gained my weight slowly and carry it well, evenly throughout my body which probably is why it doesn't look like I weigh as much as I do. I am also a big boned 5'7" and can carry more weight on my frame than other women. Maybe your body is similar?

See, I think my doctor does that to not make me feel so bad. lol. But I'm close to not being in the 200s!

But I do think I'm more like you, I do think I carry it well also. A lot of people seem surprised when I say that I'm over 200, but since gaining a few more lbs, it's starting to show, but I started the 30 Day Shred yesterday so i'm gonna be working it off!

nelie
05-12-2009, 06:11 PM
I think people in general just don't know how much people weigh. When I am in the doctor's office, I do move the weights to the right area rather than have the nurse try to guess because they always guess incredibly low.

Although it doesn't matter how much people think I weigh and doesn't matter what I weigh, what matters is my body fat percentage which is something I hope to move in the downward direction.

JackieRn
05-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Depending on your body shape, muscle-fat ratio its possible to look completely different. When I was younger my older sister (pear shape) my little sister (hour glass) and my self being evenly distributed weighed 130 but you wouldn't know it because of how different our bodies looked also height matters. I was thinner at 130 than my 4"11 sister but my waist was wider than my pear shaped sisters.

Thighs Be Gone
05-12-2009, 06:43 PM
I remember reading Oprahs book, Making the Connection. In one of her opening chapters she said she told herself at 237 pounds that she didn't look a pound over 200. I could SO identify with her statement. I would tell myself those things too. I didn't FEEL as big as I was. When I dressed in the morning I didn't really see an obese woman staring back. But, the pics didn't lie. I don't know what others thought of me. I remember a nurse telling me once that I didn't look like I weighed what I did. Other than her, very few people EVER mentioned my appearance and rarely did I ever bring it up.

What I find really funny is getting compliments on jewelry and handbags I have had for years. No one has ever seemed to notice them until this season. Was the necklace not JUST AS PRETTY last year? Was my handbag not super cute last year?

Findmyself
05-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Well, I am one of those people that can't guess peoples' weight. I try not to offend people and always subtract about 20 lbs in my mind before I 'guess' their weight.

However, what I am good at, is guessing peoples' BMIs. Ever tried that?

I will look at somebody and guess their BMI and will usually be spot on!!

Fox
05-13-2009, 12:01 AM
I think I'm heavier than I look. I weigh 195 and I'm a size 12/14, when people take a guess at my weight usually they guess the 160's, maybe they're just being nice?

Joshua from eawc
05-13-2009, 12:33 AM
I personally have never asked friends/family to guess my weight. Mostly because the odds of someone actually knowing my weight when I was at my prime of 270 was very slim to none. So take it with a grain of salt. I knew I was 270, the scale knew I was 270, and that's all I cared about knowing. :)

teawithsunshine
05-13-2009, 02:55 AM
I've asked people that question over the years... just about all the time, they think I'm thinner than how much I really do weigh.

Sometimes, it gets frustrating when I try to explain, no I really am this weight!! They tend not to believe me!

~ tea

the right direction
05-13-2009, 06:26 AM
When I was 200 lbs, I was told I didn't look like I was.

I don't know what people thought of my weight when I was closing in on 250 lbs because by that time, I wouldn't discuss my weight with anyone.

NightengaleShane
05-13-2009, 06:35 AM
My highest weight ever was probably around 180-185 but my highest recorded weight was 175. And when I weighed 175, people always thought I weighed somewhere between 140-160. *I* thought I weighed in that range, too, until I stepped on a scale and faced reality :lol:

I have no idea if I look my weight now. When I first hit goal (125), people told me I looked too skinny/barely 110-115 pounds. A few people guessed accurately, though. I am a LOT more muscular now than I was then (I have a jacked up back, bulging biceps, monster legs, pecs, and am entering a bodybuilding contest in 3 months), so people tend to guess pretty accurately/sometimes even MORE :o now because they always say, "WELL, you're so muscular, and muscle weighs more than fat!" It doesn't, by the way. They weigh the same. Muscle tissue just takes up less space.

I have a medium to large frame with broad shoulders. I can gain 10 pounds and have no one tell the difference. I can gain 50 (like I did before losing weight) and have everyone think I only gained 25 :lol: BUT when I LOST those 50 pounds, everyone just went :eek: "you look like a whole different person!"

I guess it is all a matter of perspective. ;)

Lizzyg
05-13-2009, 10:03 AM
I dont think I look my weight either. I know with my former co worker, I always weighed more than her, but wore a small size, and just LOOKED smaller than her.

When I was going to curves, and the woman weighed me for the first time, she started at like the 150's and I was like, you need to move that up about 80 lbs - I was around 230 when I started, and she just did not believe me. And that was something she was doing all day - weighing people. And I dont think she was doing it to be nice, as I was there to lose weight.

BUT I also think knowing that I dont 'look my weight' helped me - what it did was help me get to 290 lbs, because I still thought I looked the same. Obviously I didnt when I compare pictures. I was in denial about how big I really was. I may not have looked 290, but I still looked big.

merose
05-13-2009, 10:37 AM
I said to a friend I've known forever the other day that I've just kept gaining weight every year since high school. She seemed surprised and then proceeded to tell me I was in good shape. I told her I think her eyesight is failing. At the end of my final year of high school I weighed 155, and now I'm 205 (nearly 220 at my absolute heaviest).
My sisters are constantly pooh-poohing my concerns about my weight and the way I look, telling me I look fine and healthy etc. They seemed shocked when I told them my actual weight. I KNOW I don't look healthy when I'm standing in front of the mirror in my underwear, and I know I don't feel healthy.
While I don't think it's productive for people to keep pointing out that you (I mean me) are overweight, I think it can be just as counter-productive when they are telling you you look fine when obviously you don't.
I guess the answer is just to listen to yourself and trust your own judgement? :dizzy:

ICUwishing
05-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Love the thread! I've never had anybody guess my weight correctly either. And even I wonder where it's hiding - I'm by no means a small person, but what used to be a lot of extremely dense muscle is now ... uh, yeah, it's fat - and there's got to be a lot of it surrounding my internal organs. Echo the thought from above - gravity and the damage it does over time only cares about what you weigh, not what size you are.

RedKat
05-14-2009, 07:47 AM
Boy I was excited to find this thread! I'm dealing with accepting myself now, for at 115 pounds, I don't look it at all. With all the extra skin i still look 140-150. (At 4'10" and close to 200 pounds for over 20 years this will happen) At first I thought it was self image, but I had a few close friends and family members "guess" my weight/ Sigh. But I know I'm healthier, so that's what counts.

goodday
05-14-2009, 10:32 AM
absolutely, when i first started with my trainer she asked me how much weight i wanted to lose and i said 40lbs and she freaked out and said that was so unhealthy and i told her not really i wanted to get down to 140 and she told me she thought i was 140 already (which i guess is why she freaked out haha)..but yeah im a size 10 at 180 which is really strange i guess but ill take it.

LandonsBaby
05-14-2009, 05:21 PM
I think people are confused by how small I am and so they assume I weigh less. People don't know how much I really weigh and I don't tell them.

joyinSF
05-14-2009, 10:20 PM
im 140 and people think i weigh more. i dont know why and it sucks! i hate it when people guess my weight. i tell them not to but they still say a number anyway.

Bumbleberry
05-15-2009, 02:50 AM
I'm short, so people do not realize how much I weigh nor how small I can "go" while not really looking that dramatically different. My weight loss goal has been criticised by people at my weight loss support group for being too "low". Silly, considering it's at the uppermost range of my BMI.

Lissus
05-15-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm horrible with weights and measurements all around. So I can never guess someone's weight accurately, and it's so hard to tell anyways.

Friday
05-15-2009, 03:59 PM
I dont likemy weight! LOl. guess thats why im working out hard. LOL
but.. i know what you mean.. once i was down to 175 and i fit into a size 10..
i looked great.. doctor said it is becasue i have large muscle inmy body..
so my body is smaller because of the muscle.. so i look thinner than i am..
My doctor actually said i would be fine at 165-175 and im only 5'6 1/2
charts say someone that height needs to be not over 150..
so it does depend!
Good Luck dont ever give up!

dgramie
05-15-2009, 04:07 PM
I find this thread interesting.I think I look my weight. My sister in law on the other hand might out weigh me by 20lbs and wear smaller pants. I am smaller on top and she is smaller on the bottom. I use to weigh 153 and wore size 14 bottoms. She was 165 and wore size 9.( neither of us weight that now). Talk about not fair!!! I think alot of it is how you carry your weight..mine is all in my bottom and thighs.

ContessaN
05-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Not many people know how much I weigh but the few that do are always surprised. I'm 5'2" 131 lbs and wear a size 2 or 4. I have wide shoulders and my hip bones are wide and protrude. I guess I'm big boned. :)

Rosinante
05-15-2009, 04:17 PM
yes and no.

despite losing 37lbs since end January, not one single soul has noticed.

on the other hand when I tell people how much I need to lose altogether, not that that happens often, they think it an impossibly high amount, so I guess I don't look my weight.

Windchime
05-15-2009, 08:48 PM
yes and no.

despite losing 37lbs since end January, not one single soul has noticed.

Don't be so certain that people haven't noticed! Last week I finally confided to a friend at work how much I'd lost and she said, "I totally noticed and was going to say something earlier but there were people around!" So it's possible that people are noticing and are either too polite to say something or don't want to say anything for fear that it's too personal, etc.

Also, it can make a difference what kind of clothing you wear. If I remember, you are a clergy person, correct? Do you wear a robe much of the time? If so, perhaps people see you in your robe so often that they don't really know what you look like under there, so they don't know to mention a loss because it's usually covered up. Does that make sense?

Either way, good job on moving past your halfway point!

Jinksie
05-16-2009, 04:41 PM
i kept thinking about this, and im finally remembering to post my thoughts, after my original post....

My grand mother in law is 199lbs. Shes 75. Im 214lbs and 23, i look half her size - even back when i was 225. BUT i mean HALF her size.

Fat is stupid and proportions itself differently on everyone. I don't think anyone looks their weight.

iamacrayon
05-17-2009, 10:39 AM
I was convinced that I looked ok at my high weight of 240, then it was only a few choice photos that I saw and was horrified about how much I'd been kidding myself. I definitely looked that big, if not more.

I am down 72lbs from then and am definitely much smaller, but when I tell people my weight, my loving and honest friends, they tell me that I actually look like I weigh a bit more than that. Most said it was because of the fact that my skin is not as tight as it used to be. But to re-iterate everything others were saying, I feel so much healthier and at the end of the day that is the most important thing! :)

Wolf Goddess
05-17-2009, 11:32 PM
No, but not in a good way - most people think I'm heavier than I am because I have a stocky build.

georgiad
05-18-2009, 07:54 AM
This! I have had BDD in the past so it's very hard for me to tell what weight I look, but I weighed 205 (last time I weighed) and am a UK size 12, or a US 8/10. I have a very small waist but big boobs and hips and I just do not think I look 205lbs.

Additionally, I was speaking to someone the other day about my weight and she said "come on, you can't be more than a stone overweight". However, at 205, I'm 60+lbs overweight.

Maybe I do just wear my weight well, or maybe all my friends (and myself) are deluded.

It will be interesting to see what will happen as I continue to lose weight - whether my shape change will be very subtle, or whether I'll be skinny at 150lbs.

Itstime
05-18-2009, 12:36 PM
I look my weight. People don't say so and, when I've brought weight up, everyone protests that I look good, but they're just being nice. In fact, my DH is always saying this and finally I got annoyed with him and said "tell me the truth ... I need to hear it ... I know you love me and find me sexy anyway ... but I need SOMEONE to acknowledge this problem with me, otherwise, I just wonder if I'm crazy" and, sure enough, he said "well, you use losing a few pounds - maybe 20". It was a relief to hear the truth spoken lovingly.

When I look at pictures of myself now and pictures of myself before (at 130) I KNOW I look like I gained 40 pounds. It's totally obvious. It all happened slowly enough though that it's easy for me to delude myself sometimes.

However, I am a very muscular person, even at this weight. When I was 130, I was teeny-tiny - I was the same size as girls that weight 115 or so. In fact, at 140 was when I felt sexy and no waif-like. So I do know that I carry it decently (well, I did - lately I'm getting flabby with age and it's beginning to "pour out" more LOL). So, I know it does happen that plenty of people at a higher weight may LOOK thinner than someone else at a lower weight. It's about body shape, muscle tone, and a bunch of other factors.

But what matters is how healthy and beautiful YOU feel and see yourself.

Operator265
05-18-2009, 12:47 PM
OK. I've already posted on this thread, but, just had to add.....

A couple of days ago I tried on an old tank top and asked my very straight-forward DD how I looked. She said, "Well, yeah, you look a little fat, but it's Buff-Fat." A few weeks ago when I tried on a dress she looked down and says, "OMG, your legs are so totally freakin' tone!!!"

Just goes to show, it's not all about the scale. I carry most of my weight in my torso for one thing. More importantly is watching other numbers, ie. resting heart rate, cholesterol, blood sugar, etc. We can get so focused on the scale and how it looks that we leave other health factors out.

divinechaos
05-18-2009, 03:49 PM
People say I don't look my weight, either.
One reason could be because you have more muscle than the average person, so your weight is more than you look. Or it could just be because of your body type/where your weight tends to go... and your choice of clothing can easily hide a few pounds here and there.

Glory87
05-18-2009, 04:02 PM
When I weighed 200 lbs - I looked in the mirror and thought I carried my weight well. Then, I saw candid (read - unposed, without good posture and my tummy sucked in) pictures and realized I did not.

Tryingtostayskinny
05-18-2009, 08:29 PM
No, people always think I am less than I am because of my height.

Star2Be
05-18-2009, 10:58 PM
^ Same here... I have always carried my weight fairly well--though, like Glory, I have come to realize that I didn't carry it *quite* as well as I thought at the time! :o Hehe. Many people who aren't as knowledgeable about weight/weight loss (i.e. non-3FCers! ;)) don't realize what a big difference height makes in the way a person carries their weight, so they might think that I would weigh the same as someone who is 4 inches shorter but the same dress/pants/waist/etc size, when really I'd probably be at least 20 lbs heavier! Case in point, I am very comfortably in a size 8 now (haven't tried on any 6s in a while, so I dunno how close I am to that, but I imagine it's not toooo far off! :dizzy:) and mostly M/some S tops, while weighing in at ~158 lbs. Yep, one thing I DO love about my body is my height... :D

ETA: Y'know, after thinking some more about this and reading some of the responses on this thread, I am *really* curious to know what the people in my life DO think I weigh now! They can see that I've lost weight, of course, but only 3FC, my doctor, and my sister have ever seen/heard any cold, hard numbers... It never really occurred to me that others might be trying to "guess" my weight now, heh! I would never ask anyone about it, of course, but gosh this has really sparked my curiosity!! :chin:

Sophia Elise
05-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Hmmm nice topic.. I don't look my weight. But I'm getting exhausted from working in the night shift. Whew.. :(

Joshua from eawc
05-20-2009, 12:22 AM
my friends are so weird. I've been told I look 150 multiple times. Usually when I'm in my skinny jeans (they make me look skinny!...) 150 on a 5'9 boy is like a stick. UGH. Here I am trying to buff up and I get that number all the time. haha. However, my other healthier friends that I workout with guess 190. Which is pretty close but higher. Noone has ever guessed 175-180.. I don't know why. I hope one day the skin on my stomach will fade out... I know I have abs, or at least one! I just want to see them/it! ;)

Extasee58865
05-20-2009, 01:08 PM
I think I look higher than my weight, but everyone keeps telling me I'm "too thin." I think that's only because they are used to seeing me @ my highest of 231 and now see me @ 152... I'm finally almost a "normal" weight, only 2 lbs away, but still at the high end of normal...... I think I have the typical "fat girl syndrome", I still feel like I look like I'm 200+ lbs.... :(

JulieJ08
05-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Extasee! I was thinking about you last week :) and hoping all was well :carrot:

Extasee58865
05-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Extasee! I was thinking about you last week :) and hoping all was well :carrot:

:D I've been slackin' on the 3FC for awhile... Had a lot going on, but DAMN JULIE! 135! That's awesome!!! I want to be 135... :hug:

Mickeypnd
05-20-2009, 04:09 PM
I get that all the time, not looking my weight.
I figure, why look bigger, but i am taller, and I do have bigger breasts, and a tunny. :(

not happy about that one. . .

BellaDiva
05-21-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm not sure. I think I look lighter than I actually am. I don't just carry all my weight in one spot, it is very evenly distributed, and I am 5'9" so hiding it is better. But that is also a problem. None of my friends understand why I refuse to wear certain clothes or go swimming when I talk about how much I love it all the time. I think when I do hit my goal weight it will stun people when they ask how much I have lost.

MindiV
05-21-2009, 11:08 AM
When I was 220+, people "couldn't believe" that I weighed that much. Never figured out whether they were just being nice, or if it was true.

Now, at 140, people are freaking out because they SWEAR I weigh less than that. My dad thinks I'm weighing in at 120, which I think it entirely too thin for ME, personally, at my height. So maybe they were right back then.

rachinma
05-22-2009, 01:23 PM
When I say I want to lose 20 more pounds, people look at my like I'm crazy. In reality, losing 50 more pounds would still have me in the normal range for my height and weight.

I'm a size 12 pants and 8-10 in skirts (ugh, c-section!). No one guesses.

At the gym, the trainer thought I weighed less. When I told her that I've never weighed less than 141# as an adult -- while working out 2x a day and eating almost nothing -- she did not believe it.

As for right now, I think I look like what I weigh.

Delphi
05-24-2009, 03:45 PM
I don't think I look my weight. I'm quite tall and well proportioned, so I carry this flab quite well. It's when the clothes come off is when reality tends to smack me in the face. :lol:

Dana A GoGo
05-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Last year, I didn't think I looked like my weight so much and people would say I looked like I lost weight and wouldn't want to listen because I knew I didn't. Now that I have gained about 20lbs since last year, I SEE where it is. And I feel like it's showing more. So yeah, I guess it does now unfortunately...for now.