Old 05-12-2009, 03:22 AM   #1  

Height: 1.67m

Question I need some cheering up!

I am notorious for not sticking with my plans. This time around it's different. I AM sticking to it. I do everything by the book. This is 3 weeks straight where I haven't fallen off the wagon even slightly - and I'm not losing! I'm starting to get really upset.
The first week I lost quite a lot, but the last 2 I keep gaining and losing the same couple of pounds. I WILL NOT give up, but seriously, what am I doing wrong? I walk a lot, on average about 2 hours per day, and I stick to between 1200 and 1500 kcals per day, average being 1350 or so. I dring a fair amount of water, and I watch my carbs. Bulk of my food is from low fat dairy and fruit and veg.
On paper I am extatic, cause I'm so pleased with myself, but why why why am I not losing!
To make it worse we are invited to dinner tonight, and I'm so dead scared of eating something I can't fully count, now that I finally feel in control over my eating.
I need all the help I can get!

Edited to add some thoughts:
I have spent a little time browsing through the forums regarding this, and I have some thoughts that maybe I can get some input on:
1. Am I actually setting my cals too low? Should I aim slightly higher?
2. Am I just a whiny spoilt child who wants instant gratification, without realizing that 3 weeks is nothing in this context?
3. Is 2 weeks to short a time to be called a plateau?

Last edited by timkerbelle; 05-12-2009 at 03:43 AM.
timkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:48 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Two things you haven't mentioned: Protein and physical activity. Are you getting enough?

Your calories might be a bit too low. Have you looked up your resting metabolic rate with one of the calculators? Such as on FitDay or Freedieting.com?

2 weeks isn't a plateau--it has to be longer than a month. You're just stalled.

These things do happen. Stay with it and be patient. And remember that nutrition isn't an exact science.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 05-12-2009 at 06:48 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:48 AM   #3  

Height: 5ft6'

You wouldn't normaly see a plateau at 2 weeks. If you lost alot right off the bat sometimes you will slow down tho. Like you could loose like 15lbs in the first 2 weks then slow to 1 or 2 per week. But that would be normal.

I also think you are right about increasing your calorie intake. You need alot to be working out 2 hours a day.
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/ticker/160

Height: 5'1

I will chime in with add protein and in my case I find if I stay away from the scale it helps me mentally. The numbers on the scale can really bring me down and defeat me. Maybe mark on the calendar and only weigh in twice a month....

Best of luck and don't give up !!!!!!
jab91864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:36 AM   #5  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I would definitely suggest looking at upping your calories. That's not from an expert point of view, just my own experience. I was seriously lagging down the 200s at 1350ish and took the plunge and increased to 1500. This is for a shorter person and probably lesser activity. In that time I've lost 11.9lbs in 41 days, virtually 2lbs a week.

It might be good to look at your water intake too: I know you say you drink a fair amount but how much is that? Sometimes what we need might be a lot more than we thought. No offence intended.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:40 AM   #6  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

I'm not a calorie counter, but from what I know from reading other posts and my own experience about eating and losing, I would look at your calorie intake.

It seems pretty low to start with and won't give you much room to move when you do plateau. To repeat what's already been said: You could be exercising too much for what you're taking in. I would just try eating a little more and see what happens.

It seems you are committed to this and good for you. Part of that commitment is finding what works, so don't be afraid to tinker. It will only benefit you in the long run, whatever you discover.

Good luck!!
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:23 AM   #7  

Thank you very much for your input!

JayEll: I try to up my protein, but two factors make it a little bit difficult - I am a vegetarian, and I have a very limited budget. I try to eat eggs and beans as these are cheap and healthy, and also yogurt. I do see that out of my average calories protein makes up about 17%, which I'm guessing is too low.
I walk a lot, but apart from that I don't really exercise.

TraceyElaine: Yeah I think you are right! I'm simply too impatient, and I see it as a plateau. I did lose a lot the first week, and kind of expected the same pace through it all

Jab: I have considered the scale thing, but to be honest I would worry that I would start being complacent when I don't check every day, or most days at least. I do think that your approach is probably a mentally sound one though!

Ailidh: I appreciate the input! It does sound like upping my cals a bit might be what I need, along with some other adjustments. I think you are right (and no offence taken in the slightest!) that I should look at how much water I actually drink. I think I might be overestimating, just like I used to underestimate my calories. It's fun how we started off at similar weights and are down to similar (although you have overtaken me by a fair bit now!)

Chickiegirl: Yep, I was thinking the same. I'm worried I have set it too low, so there won't be enough wiggle room when I do lose (cause I WILL!!)

I will try making some adjustments. I have been dead scared of changing things, in case it makes me lose control, but I appreciate that you do have to constantly stir things up a bit, especially if they don't work.

Thanks again to all you lovely chicks
Old 05-13-2009, 12:18 AM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Please post your height and weight as well as a sample menu from your day. Maybe we can make some specific comments. How far are you walking in the two hours?
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #9  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi Tinkerbelle. Typically, I think we tend to think we need more protein than our body actually requires, but 17% is right on target. The average protein in your diet should be 15% of your total calories. At 1500 calories, this would be 56 grams a day. My teenage daughter is a vegetarian, so many of my daily menus tend to be vegetarian. I've found that I have no trouble reaching my protein requirement if I'm eating whole grains, plenty of beans and lentils, using tofu products, drinking soymilk and eating some cheese each day.

I also agree with upping your calorie intake. Also, your body could be more sensitive to grains and fruits. My weight loss tends to stall if I eat more than 2 whole grains or 2 fruits per day. Also, are you eating any products that contain high fructose corn syrup? This will also cause me to stall even when my calories are within my weight loss limits.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 05-13-2009 at 08:22 AM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #10  

Ok here are some numbers I'm 1.67m (5'6? not sure about the inches) and 87 kg (192-193 lbs)
Typical menue is as follows:

Breakfast - Low fat yogurt with fruit and fibre cereal and a banana. Cup of coffee

Lunch - Cereal bar without sugar or sweeteners (basically dried fruit and whole grains), apple, orange and cup a soup

Dinner - Salad or stir fry with sweetcorn, peas, broadbeans, tomatoes, cucumber, carrots etc, and low fat mozzarella, bit of dressing or oil.

Any suggestions are more than welcome! I'm thinking of substituting my morning cereal for sunflower seeds, to cut down a bit on the sugar and get more good fats and a bit of protein.

I'm glad to hear my protein isn't too low, as it's something I struggle a bit to get up
Old 05-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #11  
1 day at a time!

S/C/G: 276/264/146

Height: 5'9"

From personal experience, but i am not a calorie counter! not sure if this helps?

1. I found giving up caffeine - maybe switching to decaf? - has helped my weight loss pick up speed/ my legs are less swollen at the end of a day! - this can be more personal though than normal. just a thought.

2. Are you drinking enough water - If I don't have at least 64oz (2 litres) daily my weight loss is very slow. Keeping hydrated (through water) is really import when dieting.

3. Did you take a body measurement at the start of your weight loss? Some people lose size (like me) before they actually lose pounds!

4. Maybe alternate fruit for lunch with vegetables as you already have fruit in the AM? Fruits are high is their natural sugars - berries/grapefruit are less sugary
emmalee51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #12  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post
Typically, I think we tend to think we need more protein than our body actually requires, but 17% is right on target. The average protein in your diet should be 15% of your total calories. At 1500 calories, this would be 56 grams a day.
That level of protein intake might be fine for you, or fine for another person, but it's not necessarily fine for every person. My macro breakdown tends to be more in the range of 30% protein, 30% fat, 40% carbs; and I get around 120 to 150 grams of protein per day, on average. I feel better, am less hungry, and lose better on more protein.

The only blanket recommendation I like for an issue like protein or macro ratio is: "Experiment and see what works best for YOU."
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote