20-Somethings - Fall half marathon runners

View Full Version : Fall half marathon runners

carcar05
05-11-2009, 09:47 PM
My cousin has invited me to train to run a half marathon in October.

I have NEVER ever ever done anything like this, not even a 5k. I think the most I've ran was a mile or 2 in junior high. That was... a long time ago.

So I'm toying with the idea for a couple of reasons- my daughter turns 2 in October and hubby and I want to try for baby number 2 around her 2nd birthday. And I want to feel fit and in shape and prepared for pregnancy #2 because with my little girl I had to have a c-section, and not only that but I gained a TON of weight and have yet to lose the last pregnancy pounds, not to mention the pounds i was overweight to begin with... I feel like this could be just the thing to get me motivated, get me healthy, help me trim down to my goals.

Are any of you running half marathons in the Fall? Or have you done it before? Or do you have tips/advice/warnings/anything?? I'm honestly scared of it but at the same time, I have always always wanted to do something like this. eep!

skinnywish
05-11-2009, 10:47 PM
hey! i am also running my first half marathon in the fall (October 11th) and am SO scared. I have always hated running, but got it in my mind that this year i WILL become a runner.

i'm starting slowly, right now in the 6th week of the C25K program, then have a program that will carry me thru all the way til the race. i figure if i take it slow and steady, i can manage it!

i also hope to get pregnant later this fall or winter. it will be my first (just got married this March) but i know from my sisters how important it is to be in shape before you give birth!

i don't have any tips, as i have never done this before, but would love to keep in touch as far as progress/struggles/goals go. i would also love to hear what some experienced marathoners have to say!

KEmery08
05-12-2009, 12:10 AM
I want to run a half-marathon! I'll have to see if I can find one in the fall. That's my one year wedding anniversary too. So, what an incentive to look awesome?!!

garstar
05-12-2009, 12:27 AM
Hey,I'm running a half marathon next earth day. This earth day I ran my first half marathon relay (so, half of a half marathon; 6.5 miles). It took me a while to work up to that though, so start training TODAY and don't take a week off. I had to take 2 weeks off cuz I injurued my knee, and I lost about 2 miles that I had gained...

I started at about 3 miles 4 days a week I think, and on Thursdays I'd slowly add .5 miles. I did 1 long run on Thursdays, then on the other days I'd do shorter/faster runs. Be sure to train outside if possible, the hills and wind are more like your trail will be and are more difficult - thus getting you in better shape.

Look up training plans online - they'll outline when to run, how to run, and how far. They were really helpful for me. I jotted down each run I did - miles and minutes and it was great to see my progress from week to week and how I improved!

I trained for at least 4 months for that race, and was so proud after I finished I cried :) So - best of luck! I'm starting to train for my half marathon (next year) now, lol.

Remember - your goal is to complete it - not to beat it!

carcar05
05-12-2009, 12:33 AM
great advice garstar! keep it coming!

skinny wish- today was my first day on C25k! I'd love to see what program you plan to use once you are finished with C25k! Today was my first day on it and it was really really easy. I'm wondering if I should skip to the second week already. Like Garstar said, I may have 5.5 months until the race but that's really no time for someone like me who is NOT a runner AT ALL!!

I'm like you skinny, I really dislike running but this year is the year I grow to love it :) haha i really really want to have a vaginal birth for baby #2, so i'm hoping getting into shape will help increase my chances. :)

leighish
05-12-2009, 01:48 AM
car, don't skip ahead in c25k. it may have seemed easy but your body still needs to get used to it.

DH and I have been considering a half marathon in november, just to finish, not to be competitive.

CakeBatter
05-12-2009, 10:39 AM
I am running the Rock N Roll HM in September. SO far I have run a 5k. I have another 5K this weekend, a 10K in June and then of course the HM. I am scared to. I just want to finish is all. I can't wait. Currently I run an average of 3.5 miles a day. On Saturdays is my long day and like Garstar mentioned on those days I add .5 miles. ALso one day a week I cross- train. I hvae been running since January. I hope to keep posting here! GL everyone!

mayness
05-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Here's another thread with some great general advice on starting to run: http://3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170347

car, don't skip ahead in c25k. it may have seemed easy but your body still needs to get used to it.

Agreed! Even if you're in great shape, you need to start out slowly with running, because it uses your leg muscles differently than you're used to. Sticking with the program as written will keep you from getting some of the little aches and pains (or worse - injuries!) that people deal with when they start out too fast.

I recently started running again, and while I'm not sure I'll ever do a half marathon (my busy schedule doesn't leave much time to train, and I'm SLOW so I'd need a lot of time!) but I'm definitely looking for a 10K this fall.

ahope2277
05-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Hey girlies!
I did my first Half-Marathon last Nov. and I just did my 2nd May 3rd (Pittsburgh). I've been running for exercise for a few years but I really didn't TRAIN until last August. I train a lot like garstar, run about 4 times a week (3-6 mi) with one of those being a long run (I did mine Sunday, I started at 8 and ended at 12). I found the long run was hard for me to do alone, but I got through. Def don't put it off and train too fast though! The first one I trained for maybe 12 weeks and this last one I REALLY put it off and my long runs weren't quite as long and reassuring. :( AND wear good shoes all the time (I had a little plantar facilitis thanks to an old pair of Nikes). I could go on FOREVER about what I've learned doing this (form, hydration, GU/other gels while racing, etc) but I don't want to ramble. Feel free to ask me anything!

carcar05
05-13-2009, 11:38 AM
So I am glad I didn't step it up to week 2. After day 1 of C25k, I felt great! Then the next day, I have the worst pain in the front of my shins, in my ankles, and my shoulders hurt too!

Today is going to be W1D2 but I'm feeling REALLY crappy still. Any advice? I don't want to give up on this.

Fat Pants
05-13-2009, 01:42 PM
So I am glad I didn't step it up to week 2. After day 1 of C25k, I felt great! Then the next day, I have the worst pain in the front of my shins, in my ankles, and my shoulders hurt too!

Today is going to be W1D2 but I'm feeling REALLY crappy still. Any advice? I don't want to give up on this.

My first thought is shoes. This happened to me, too. The first day of C25k went awesome... the second day, not so much. Shin splints! When I went to an actual running store and got fitted for running shoes, the pain got a lot better. And this is from zero running, so part of it was probably over training, too. That, I think you just have to work through some of the pain. Sometimes I get a little shin pain if I train too hard, so it's good to rest.

The shoulder pain is probably core muscle pain. I noticed my lower back muscles would hurt when I was really pushing it. Running really works out all aspects of your body and the more in shape you are core-wise, the easier it becomes. You may want to look into core strength training and upper body training on your off-days.

By the way, I am just training for my first 5k and started at the end of February (5k is in September). It has and will take me that long to be able to run the entire 3.1 miles. Everyone trains differently, it's just a matter of listening to your body and knowing what it can handle.

I recommend the book "Running for mortals" by John Bingham. It gives a lot of great practical advice to go from a non-runner to a regular runner.

Good luck!

skinnywish
05-13-2009, 01:55 PM
hey ladies!

carcar i got bad shin splints after my first day of C25K, but just stuck with it and never got them again (now on W6D2). it just takes some time to get used to it i think!

CakeBatteryour schedule sounds awesome, with adding in afew 5km and 10 km runs before the HM. i should probably look into doing that, just to get a feel for organized races...

What sort of cross training are you guys doing? Different cardio (like swimming, biking, walking, etc.) weight training, or both? I need to add cross training in soon, but am not too sure how to do it. I know the HM training schedule I have schedules 2 CT days a week (plus 4 days of running) but doesn't go into specifics on what KIND of CT...

JulieJ08
05-13-2009, 02:24 PM
I do yoga on my off days, and on my running days too (just less). I was actually doing this for many months (from the beginning of my change - the weight loss change, not the menopause change ;)) before I started running.

I can only give the credit for no shin splints or hip pain to the yoga, because in the past I always had those problems and they always stopped me because they wouldn't go away for weeks and even months. The yoga strengthened and stretched my muscles, but most importantly I think it really strengthened my tendons. I say that because it also did wonders for my tennis elbow.

carcar05
05-13-2009, 03:12 PM
You guys are all so awesome- thanks for the advice!!

I have some yoga & pilates DVD's, and the 30DS, and some great Denise Austin DVD's that should help with core strengthening. I definitely don't have the strongest core- I had a c-section 18 months ago for my daughter and I took the advice of the doctors a little tooooo literally as far as taking it easy goes. :)

Anyway, I'm gearing up to do Day 2 of C25k and I'm feeling excited. I wish we had a good shoe store here, the nearest is 2 hours away (we live in the boonies) SO I may have to plan a trip out this weekend! :)

How many races did you run before you did the HM? I don't care about time, I just want to finish it, and I'd like to run the majority of it but if I can't run the whole thing that's fine too- I just gotta cross the finish line. I already walk a ton, but I'd like to build my running endurance before October! :) So I am thinking races between now and then will keep me motivated and having mini-goals to work towards should be really helpful too. Any insight?? :)

EDIT: there is a 5k coming up on the 4th of July in a town near where I live- it's a GORGEOUS area and I'd love to run that race- the even better news? It'd be in the 9th week of my couch to 5k!!! SO I'm going to register for it to hold me accountable- this is perfect timing and I"m excited to train for this race!!!!

UrsusMaritimus
05-14-2009, 12:34 AM
:cp::cp::cp::cp::cp:

You go girl! That's one happy face for every kilometer you're going to run!

I'm doing my first 10K on May 25th, and I'm toying with the idea of training for a half-marathon... I'm REALLY slow though - the race would probably be over before I crossed the finish line.

skinnywish
05-14-2009, 02:26 PM
i know, hey? my fear is that i will be running across the finish line, and they're packing everything up...:D although that would be kind of funny....

carcar05
05-14-2009, 03:16 PM
haha i don't even care if it's the next day and everyone's gone- i just want to do the whole thing. :)

CakeBatter
05-15-2009, 02:22 PM
I am with you carcar. hey how many days do ya'll rest before your long run day???

CakeBatter
05-19-2009, 12:41 PM
bump

anyone still here

carcar05
05-19-2009, 12:55 PM
i'm here!!!

i am on week 2 of C25k, and I wanted to do it yesterday but the day was crazy hectic- i own my own business and run it out of my house. plus i have a toddler running around. it got really crazy, like i said, and it was so freaking hot all day!

by the time it cooled off it was dark out so i decided to do the 30DS instead - and THEN that didn't happen because, like i said, i have a toddler, and she has molars coming in and was abnormally needy last night. so i indulged her and skipped working out all together.

so today i will do W2D1 of C25k. :P

how's everyone else doing??

CakeBatter
05-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Hey Carcar. I am up to 4.5 miles. My long run on Saturday will be 5. I am so stoked about the progress I have been making since January

carcar05
05-19-2009, 02:50 PM
that is really so impressive! you go girl!!

skinnywish
05-19-2009, 04:46 PM
hey ladies! i have been sick this past week, and haven't been running at all, so i am gonna be hurtin when i get back out there! but i have to pretty soon, cause the half marathon is looming in the future....

CakeBatterit sounds like you're doing really well...i love how with running, you start to notice your progress so quickly, like within a month you can't run more than a minute at a time to running for 20 minutes straight!

carcarway to keep at it, with a teething toddler! i can't get myself motivated this week and i don't have any kids...:)

CakeBatter
05-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Thank you ladies.

Skinnywish - It is amazing how quickly you notice improvements and it incentive to keep pushing. Sorry you have been sick. You probably won' t be hurting as bad as you thing. You know the drill...just stretch really well

Carcar - Were you able to make it out last night. How is the baby doing?

Fat Pants
05-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Hey runners, thought I'd pass along some inspiring videos from Runner's World. They took 3 runners (actually, two of them didn't even run before this!) and trained them to run a half marathon. The videos are so inspiring, especially the guy who lost 45 lbs from running.

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/special/0,7889,s6-238-411-0-0,00.html

There are also some training plans, the runner's blogs, and training tips.

utgirl09
05-20-2009, 04:41 PM
I am going to run one next March. To me it is going to take top priority over the next year. I am single, newly out of school, no kids, no pets. Other than work, my only responsibility is taking care of me, so there is no reason I should not be able to do it. I just started c25k last week, and yes it is a slow start, but it will get me to where I need to be. I have 10 months. I cannot wait to hear your success stories this fall, and good luck!

carcar05
05-21-2009, 02:08 AM
Carcar - Were you able to make it out last night. How is the baby doing?
Nope but I went first thing this morning and I'm pumped to keep it up this week! I really just have to push myself to get out in the AM you know?

How's everyone else doing?? I know that the C25k is a gradual program just trying to stay patient and not push myself too fast. :) Like I said, with the half marathon I likely won't run the whole thing, but I have several months between now and then and even if I only run 10k of it that'd be huge for me! :) I just want to cross that finish line. Woo hoo :)

ahope2277
05-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Cake-I usually take Fridays off from exercising all together, so I do some sort of low-impact cardio on Sat (Elliptical) and then long run on Sunday. Then something at the gym (not running)Monday, Running Tues, Wed, and Thursday. I can't get over how fast you are gaining mileage. You Rock!!

I'm doing a 4 mile race this weekend that I'm excited about. After mentally preparing for the 13 for awhile, I'm excited to do a couple short ones and try to run a little faster.

You girls all rock! :)

skinnywish
05-28-2009, 10:47 AM
hey ladies! i have finally got back out running after two and a half weeks of NOTHING, being sick. it felt so good to get out! did 3.5 km, and i thought it would be harder than it was, but my body remembered how to run! going to register for the HM soon! so excited!

how is everyone else doing??

skinnywish
05-29-2009, 02:24 PM
anyone still around? Hello? *echo...echo...echo...*

CakeBatter
06-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Hey girls. Are we still training..... I am up to 6 miles. Slowly but surely. I ran outside a couple times and I was little tough to adjust so I am gonna run outside this whole week and then 1/2 and 1/2 her on out so I be used to it come race day.

forestroad
06-29-2009, 02:35 PM
I want to run a half marathon but I'm scared to commit. There's a free open registration one in Waterbury on Oct. 4. It should be gorgeous, so I'm kind of aiming for that. Last year I ran a leg of a marathon on a relay team-- 6.5 miles in about 70-75 minutes. I've kind of slacked off on my long distances since then.

About 3 weeks ago I started a training plan that pretty much throws you into the deep end. During the week, you do 2-3 shorter runs, and on Sundays run anywhere from 7-12 miles. I should mention that it's run/walk. Two weeks ago I did the first long run, 9.5mi, running and walking for a combined pace of about 12.5min/mi. Since then I've kept up with the short runs, but haven't been able to get in another long run.

Are any of you run/walking, or just straight up running? I guess I could use some encouragement or advice...maybe checking in with this thread will help me up my commitment.

CakeBatter
06-29-2009, 02:51 PM
forestroad - I am running BUT maybe you can't get into the longer runs because you jumper right inand it sort of "ran" you away. May be you start your longer runs....shorter. I see that you have long before with the 6.5 ( which is long) but since you have taken time off you have lost some mileage ya know? Take a look at Hal Higdons Half Marathon Training Program: Noivce. It starts the long run at 4 miles. And it is a 12 week program so you have plenty of time.

forestroad
06-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the suggestion I will definitely look into that program!

CakeBatter
06-30-2009, 07:42 AM
WOW! I got my arse out there and ran the three mile trail around my house and boy was I winded! FOr One I haven't been running outside much (this is my second day since like forever) and FOR TWO i ran my first mile in under 10:00. WOOT WOOT!

Anyway going back out there this evening.

forestroad
06-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Cake- congrats on the sub-10min mile!!! I wish I could run that fast. I have some tests tomorrow that I'm supposed to rest for 48hrs beforehand, but I ran a little this morning anyway...4 miles in intervals of running 2mins at 5.5-6.5mph + 1min walking at 3.3mph. My friend who's staying with me for the summer used to be into running so I'm going to see if maybe she wants to be my long distance running buddy, so maybe I can get some motivation going.

forestroad
07-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Just checking in...I've done 2 weeks of Hal Higdon's intermediate half marathon training program, but only adhere to it loosely. I ran 6 miles yesterday, and man my pace is a full minute slower than it was last year, which is strange bc I'm running with about 10 fewer lbs on me.

skinnywish
07-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Hey!

I am running my first half in October and my first 10km in August. My 12 week HM plan starts on the 20th of this month, and right now I am just trying to get in 3 5km runs/week.

I also need to figure out what to do on my cross-training days, as I am supposed to have two of those/week once my schedule starts.

What do you ladies do? Strength or different cardio (swim, bike, walk)?

Thanks! Happy running!

forestroad
07-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Here is my schedule:
Mon: hr spin and strength training
Tues: 3mi run, either 3 in a row at a 10min pace, or run/walk intervals
Wed: hr spin
Thurs: 3mi run
Fr: Fun! Bike, hike, walk, swim, etc.
Sat/Sun: one of these days I do my longer distance run; I just finished week 2 which was 6mi. The other day is a fun day, for hiking, swimming, biking (or all three--my favorite thing to do is bike to the trail head at falls of Lana, hike up to the falls, go swimming, hike back to the trail head, and bike home) or a shorter (3mi) run if I feel like it.

As I progress, I'll step up the Tues/Thurs runs as well, to 4 and 5mi distances. Yikes.

I've combined a run/walk program I found on nytimes with Hal Higdons; Higdon has more specific recommendations for pace and intervals, which I basically ignore for no good reason other than I really don't know what I'm doing.

I'm shooting for the Waterbury Half Marathon on October 4th, but I really just want to get comfortable running longer distances, so I'm not too serious about making it.

CakeBatter
07-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Well on my crosstraining days I pretty just do some other type of cardio such as spinning< arc trainer or waht not. I do not really adhere to a specfic for each thing as long I do the required amount of days...mostly just because I don't how my daywill go or what it will allow for. Also I strength train but not like I should....I mostly stick to calisthenics....

skinnywish
07-13-2009, 02:07 PM
wow, forest, that's an intense schedule! good for you!

thanks for the tips, ladies! i am getting my butt back in gear tonight after not running in over a week. yikes! i hope i remember how ;)

i really want to incorporate at least some ab work, as i heard it helps your long distance running quite a bit, as runners with weak abs tend to lose a lot of energy here during their long runs.

i would also like to do some arm work, mostly for vanity reasons :D

maybe i will work on a schedule tonight, and post it here for your opinions!

it's nice to have people to chat about this with as all of my "real-life" family and friends are probably sick of hearing about it....

oh! i am also getting a new puppy this weekend, a 7 week old yellow lab, so hopefully she will be a good running buddy!

rocketbunny
07-13-2009, 02:26 PM
oh! i am also getting a new puppy this weekend, a 7 week old yellow lab, so hopefully she will be a good running buddy!

Oooh! Congrats on the puppy. If you're anything like me, taking the dog out will be huge motivation for keeping up the running program. Just be careful about taking it jogging early on (http://www.briergoldens.com/puppy_faq.htm).

It is very important not to let your puppy jog or run for too long, especially on pavement, until they reach at least 18 mos. of age. If you are a runner or jogger and want a companion, use grass or dirt surfaces when ever you can and do not start training your puppy till he is at least 18 mos. no exceptions and work up starting with walks to jogging do not flat out start jogging any dog no matter the age. You are asking for orthopedic problems if you are not moderate with your puppy. Running and playing at their own pace is fine on their terms of when it's time to stop. Walking is great. The pressure that is put on the skeleton in repetitive movement such as running or jogging can be really hard on any immature skeleton.

skinnywish
07-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Becca - ya, i was wondering when i could start taking her for longer runs...guess i'll have to wait a bit! thanks for the info!

skinnywish
07-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Hey Ladies!

I FINALLY got my butt back out running last night! Did 4.2km in 27 minutes, so not bad after almost 2 weeks off!

I have a Slim in 6 video from my SIL that I might try on my off days...it's a full body strength workout (body weight resistance) but it's cardio at the same time, as your heart rate is elevated throughout...I'll see how that goes fro now!

carcar05
07-14-2009, 09:44 PM
i am so proud of you girls for keeping up your training!! i haven't updated in a long time- about 9 days into the C25k I just gave up on it- my knees were in so much pain. :(

it just wasn't worth the pain to me. but i am loving cycling :)

forestroad
07-22-2009, 12:42 AM
Checking in again; I was supposed to run a 5k this weekend but didn't have time. I did do 4mi on the treadmill this morning at 6mph, which is unheard of for me, so that was cool. I'm going to try to get in a longer run this weekend.

skinnywish
07-22-2009, 01:00 AM
forest - nice work on the 6mph! i'm at about 10:30 miles, so you're kicking my but!

I officially started my half marathon training program today. just came in the door from a 32:50 5km run. pretty good for me!!! i'm excited to start getting longer mileage in!! an easy 4km thurs and then 6.5km saturday and 4km sunday...

forestroad
07-22-2009, 10:04 AM
skinny-In the real world, I run much more like 11min miles, but on the treadmill where there are no hills I can make myself run faster. You're doing great!

skinnywish
07-22-2009, 10:30 AM
forest - ya, i only run outside, as i let my gym pass expire and have no treadmill at home, although my terrain is pretty darn flat here in the prairies :)

forestroad
07-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Hah, up here in Vermont it's hills, hills, hills. I hate hills.

CakeBatter
07-27-2009, 01:27 PM
I ran 7 miles this past weekend. Only 6 more to build up to. My fiance can't make it to my HM because of work and I am devastated about it. He doesn't need to be at all my races but this one is ezpecially important.

fore - I sometimes wish I had some hills around here to help me train better.

forestroad
07-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Ckae- Great job on the 7mi! I was supposed to run 7mi this weekend but with the bf only being in town on weekends it's hard to give up that time with him...I'm trying to work it into my weekday schedule; we'll see how that goes. It sucks your bf won't be around for the marathon; mine misses a lot of my things too since he's 2hrs away and works long hours, and it hurts even though it's not his fault.