Weight Loss Support - Diet Plans: Disaster or Success

View Full Version : Diet Plans: Disaster or Success

bossmare
05-11-2009, 05:13 PM
So I was just curious about which diets everyone is using; which ones work and which ones donít. :rolleyes:I personally am on the low-calorie diet, although I think of it more as a lifestyle change. If anyone is interested I have some awesome facts about weight loss that I have researched. Iíll also lay out my eating plan too. :hun: If youíre like me, I was so confused about what to eat and what not to eat in the beginning. Anyway Ö please share and good luck! :goodluck:

beerab
05-11-2009, 05:44 PM
I tried fat smash, and the second I started eating meat and stuff again BOOM no more weight loss- I was like dude I can't live off fruits and veggies forever.

I also tried low carbing it- made me so sick I couldn't even hold down food. The second I started eating carbs again I was fine- well except that my weight went right back up! BOO!

Now I eat what I want as long as I stay in my calories. I have found that doesn't mean eat 1500 calories worth of cheesecake- because that doesn't keep you full for long. I've started choosing foods that are higher in fiber and so on so that I can stay within my calories and be satisfied all day. I shudder at the amount of calories I used to eat- I'd eat closer to 2500 calories a day before I'd say!

Glory87
05-11-2009, 05:50 PM
I tried many diets over the years - most notably Slim Fast and "low fat."

I was always "on" a diet and planned to eventually be "off" the diet. The only thing that worked for me - after 20 years!!- was to finally figure out I couldn't get long term results via short term methods.

I had to make a plan that I could start and never end. Which meant I had to like it! It had to be easy. It had to be tailored for me and what I like.

My plan - whole foods, calorie counting, volumetrics. I lost 70 lbs and have kept it off fr 4+ years. I like it, it's easy, I love the food I eat, there is room for occasional indulgences - I have no reason to stop. It's easy to do this forever.

RealCdn
05-11-2009, 06:05 PM
I've changed my way of eating, and I do maintain a calorie deficit, but I don't specifically think about dieting. I mainly eat whole foods as well, aiming for 30% protein. For me, the one thing (in hindsight) that I did wrong was try to eat too little when trying to lose weight. I seem to have inherited my mother's metabolism and burn a load of calories, so going too low just would cause me to freak out and go off the 'diet'. :)

Delphi
05-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Every diet I tried in the past 12 years did not work. These days I'm sticking to good healthy food, smaller more frequent meals and plenty of exercise daily. That seems to be working for me. Diets didn't work for me, I essentially needed to change my lifestyle, and make changes that I would implement for a lifetime.

georgiad
05-11-2009, 07:19 PM
I've had a bad day food-wise so I'm not really one to talk, but I'm sticking with calorie control at the moment. The difference this time I feel though is that I'm writing everything down and I can see how little things like not eating breakfast can make a huge difference. Record and reward is my motto for success!

Bumbleberry
05-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Atkins
The Zone
The South Beach Diet
Sureslim
Weight Watchers
The Special K Challenge
Eat, Cheat and Melt the Fat Away
You! On a Diet
Dr. Phil's diet

I can't remember any more off the top of my head, but I've tried all of those. Currently on Weight Watchers, combining all of the knowledge I aquired from reading those books. I do not regret doing any of the diets. I regret not changing my lifestyle in order to stick to them. Along the way I have learned that it's not nutrition which is my lifeline. It's my lifestyle and habits. It does help to have a lot of knowledge, but that will get you nowhere if you don't change the way you live. :)

I learned the most reading Atkins and The Zone. The Special K Challenge was garbage, utter garbage.

CountingDown
05-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Oh my - the list of what I tried is endless.
What worked - similar to Glory - calorie counting, but mindfully eating 6 small meals a day - which are whole foods (as much as I can) and balancing my calories (40/30/30). Volumetrics plays a part since I try to have veggies as often as possible.

Puccikat
05-11-2009, 11:40 PM
I've tried, Atkins, Nutrisystem, LaWeightloss (2 times), Medifast, a week of WW, fasting, and a bunch of other stuff. Had success with all, but nothing that lasted more than a few months.

Like many of you I am simply watching what I eat, eating nutritious foods, counting my calories, and exercising. And so far so good!

I look back at all the diets that I have tried and I should feel embarrassed because I've ultimately failed at them all. But it doesn't matter to me. Mentally I was not committed for the long haul. Now that I'm older, a little wiser I'm no longer dieting. Like Bossmare said, it's a lifestyle change. And I'm definitely in it for the long run!

RedKat
05-12-2009, 07:15 AM
I went vegetarian 2 years ago, although it's not a diet, it's a way of life.... I also learned that you can indeed, eat too much still, so as far as the diet part goes, it is calorie counting.

Devsmama
05-12-2009, 07:55 AM
i refuse to "diet." Anything with the word "die" in it isn't for me.

rockinrobin
05-12-2009, 08:01 AM
The truth is nothing would have "worked" for me until I was ready to MAKE something work. And when I was really, really ready to lose the weight and put forth the effort that was required, I devised my own plan.
One that I could do forever. A total and complete lifestyle overhaul. Very similar to Glory's. Calorie counting, choosing highly nutritious, mostly whole, satiating, delicious, voluminous foods, eating frequently.

Sophia Elise
05-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Hello

I've been reading a lot from this thread and thanks to all who has contributed a lot. I myself is also looking for tips on how to stay fit especially now that I will be assigned permanently to work in the night shift.. Yeah I know that is sad. But a job is a job.

Thanks

bossmare
05-12-2009, 08:54 AM
All of you ladies are correct! But I do think we need to make peace with food. This is the way I think of it Ö If itís not natural (meaning if I look at the label and cannot pronounce the ingredients or thereís a list a mile long) then I donít eat it. Why do you think fruits and veggies donít come with labels? Cause thereís no preservatives or crap in them. However, that doesnít mean I donít help myself to some cheesecake every now and then. :hun:See ladies all the ďcrapĒ that we put in our bodies is making us fat. Not eating. Did you know that on average it takes 150-250 calories to digest food. And that there what they call negative calorie foods? For example Ö if I eat an apple, letís say it contains 50 calories, and it takes 150 calories to digest Ö Iíve actually burned 100 calories by eating!! So thatís why they say to eat small meals 5-6 times a day. It boosts your metabolism and helps you lose weight. You get all your nutrients from whole and natural foods. Do you ever wonder why you get sleepy after a carb loaded dinner at Chiliís Ö and then two hours later youíre hungry again? Ití because you filled your belly with crap Ö not the nutrients your body needs Ö so it starts crying out to you that it needs ďthe right foodĒ. Listen to your body! See I always got so sick every time I ateÖ every time my family and I would sit down for supper. I thought something was wrong with me. So Ö I hardly ever ate. Now I eat all the time and feel awesome. God gave us such a variety of fruits and vegetables. Enjoy them! There loaded with vitamins and nutrients. If you eat those then you wonít have to take vitamins and you will have more energy! Good luck and I hope this helps!

:dust:

nelie
05-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Umm, the 150-250 calories thing is a myth. Certain foods have been called 0 calories or negative calories such as cucumbers and celery which are so low in calories. The amount of calories burned is pretty negligible though and only a few food items would fit into the negative calorie range. Honestly, it is better not to use 'digestion' calories in any daily caloric calculation. Everyone has a basal metabolic rate which is the amount of calories it takes to sustain yourself daily which is based on a number of factors including the amount of muscle you have, the amount of fat you have and hereditary factors.
Here is a little blurb about the myth:
http://health.msn.com/nutrition/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100215779

You might be interested in the Whole Foods forum here, it is for those who are interested in eating foods in their most natural form.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=209

Thinfor5Minutes
05-12-2009, 10:04 AM
I have been on Weight Watchers and lost weight on it, but could not sustain it over the long haul. The diet I had the most success with was, believe it or not, "Stop the Insanity" back in the late 90s. I lost more than 50 pounds and successfully kept it off for years. However, eventually I got lazy and some of the weight came back on. Next I tried South Beach...the weight came off but I felt horrible not eating starches and fruit. What I am doing now is calorie counting. So far, so good. I've been doing that since Labor Day.

Desihue
05-12-2009, 10:22 AM
I followed Atkins for 2 years and successfully shaved off over 50lbs and dropped 11 dress sizes. It was awesome and everything was going fine but then I lost the desire to eat a lot of the staples of the plan. I tried the fat Smash but was terrified because of all the high carb foods I was eating. My body responded well to the wonderful veggies, grains, and fruits but I panicked and tried to ease back into Atkins. I got so sick from the meats. So here I am, following Fat Smash full time and Iím still scared stiff. I hate the fact that the weight comes off much slower but Iím gonna stick with this and see what happens in the end. Atkins is awesome but if you add too many carbs back to quick you gain weight super fast! I am on day 1 of the 4-day Fat Smash diet so weíll see how this goes.

TJFitnessDiva
05-12-2009, 12:03 PM
I have been on lots of diets ;) I had to get out of that mindset that I was going on a diet this time because well.....it sounds so temporary. You get to goal and then what? Go back to eating the way you used to? Uh heck no!

The only two that I know I could handle living with is WW or calorie counting. I've been doing WW for a year and have lost a great deal of weight on it...plus it's something I can see myself living with for life. I mainly eat lean meat/seafood, whole grains, fresh fruit and veggies and track my daily points.

kellygram
05-12-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm with Shia on the no diet thing. I tried South Beach 2 or 3 times and had success once when I lost 10 or so pounds. For me the "life after south beach" was the hardest. The conditioning that carbs are bad made me crave stuff like donuts etc, which I don't normally go for! It just wasn't realistic to me.

Conventional diets tend to freak me out I think, like a caged animal. I prefer to think about higher-fiber foods to fill you up, portion size, fresh foods, less refined sugar, and calories of course. :broc::hungry::broc:

Bernard
08-08-2009, 06:24 AM
There are so many different diet plans out there that you could spend a lifetime counting them and yet no single diet plan is right for everyone. Choosing the right diet for you is a personal decision, based on your unique situation and goals. That said, all of the best diet plans have a few things in common.Read on to learn about how to choose the right diet plan for you and what all of the best diets have in common.

Horo
08-08-2009, 07:14 AM
I lost most of my weight with plain old calorie counting.. Healthy, whole foods and all of that. I "fell off the wagon"(in a sense- I stopped counting calories and trying to lose, but I maintained my weight) at the 16-lbs-left mark and stopped losing for quite a period of time. A few months ago, I converted to a vegetarian diet and effortlessly lost 4 lbs in result of that and am now consciously trying finally to get rid of these last 12. I'm not counting calories this time, just watching portions and laying off those darn pistachios. :p

girllovesmath
08-08-2009, 12:31 PM
I've just started my new, healthier lifestyle and reading the posts of people who were successful has really motivated and inspired me. Thank you!!

helwa588
08-08-2009, 12:49 PM
I tired South Beach. I lost weight on it. but winded up gaining weight back when returned to my old habits. but it was a good diet plan. but you just have to stick with it.

i tried slim fast as well. now that diet is a disaster. once you stop taking the shakes the weight will start coming back on

SunshineCA
08-08-2009, 02:42 PM
I am on the South Beach Diet. I've been on and off it for several years. It's the only thing that works for me. I re-started 100% after the 4th of July and have been very successful once I decided to stop the yo-yo and committed to making it a lifestyle. :)

dragonwoman64
08-08-2009, 04:35 PM
I've done WW a couple of time, and Jenny Craig, and I lost good amounts on both, but gained it all back plus some.

I had to change my mindset, like others have said here. I keep a calorie level, and basically follow the ideas of WW and JC, so many fruits, veggies, proteins, fats, dairy (a nutritional balance), 3 meals and 3 snacks. I don't eat anything I don't like. There are no forbidden foods (obviously some foods would be deal breakers and I chose not to eat them, or eat them very rarely for the sake of my program).

justformenow1
08-08-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm eating around 1200-1400 calories a day and trying to get 2 proteins, 2 dairy, 3 vegies and 3 fruits along with whole grains into that number frame. No junk food, no sugar, absolutely none that isn't already in my fruits naturally.
I have a sit down desk job, so unfortunately I'm not very active. But I try to take the stairs, park farther away at work and stores, rock out and dance around cleaning the house, ect.........
So far it is working.
Good Luck!

time2lose
08-08-2009, 10:32 PM
I knew that I had to change my way of eating and had to start exercising. The chips, sweets, and fast food were killing me. Like Glory, Robin, and others, my diet had to be something that I like and can stick with forever. I count calories to help me judge how much to eat but I had to find healthy foods that I enjoy. It has been an adventure!

juliastl27
08-09-2009, 09:45 PM
counting calories is also the only thing that has ever worked for me. when you can break it down into numbers, i need to not eat more than 1200 or 1500 or 1800 or whatever, its easier to me!

betty grrl
08-09-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm doing WW (again). The weight has been slowly coming off. But I like the idea of points. Its so much easier for me to do it this way. They encourage eating "filling foods" to help with feeling fuller longer. The obivous is fruits, veggies, and whole grain foods.

I suppose whatever program you do has to fit into your lifestyle, since you are the one doing it.

KDuffer
08-10-2009, 09:19 AM
I tired pretty much every diet on the planet over the years: low fat, Atkins, fasting on Mondays, low GI, etc.

Only one that has really made me feel like I wasn't really on a diet is the calorie counting. I don't restrict any foods. I drink whole milk, whole eggs, and whatever I want. But counting calories makes me make good decisions since if I eat a lot of junk food with lots of calories, I won't have enough calories left over at the end of the day for a real meal. It also fits my OCD personality.

One thing I learned over the years is that every diet works if you stay with it. The key is finding something that you can stick with on the long run. I feel like I can do that with calorie counting since it give me plenty of flexibility to plan around life's events and my cravings.

Tomato
08-10-2009, 11:00 AM
I have a pretty good will power but it doesn't mean it works all the time. One thing I have ALWAYS been very consistent with though is that I DO NOT DIET. Diets are not for me. I eat clean and burn lots of calories through exercise.