Whole Foods Lifestyle - What non-whole foods do you still eat?

festivus
05-11-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm doing pretty good in general, but I've allowed myself a few splurges (a combination of craving and curiosity to see how my body would react). I had Chinese food last Friday, and I could really tell my body was not pleased.

I'd say I'm eating about 90% whole foods right now, which I'm pretty proud of. I'd like to get closer to 100%, but one step at a time.

What foods do you still allow yourself?

digitalrequiem
05-11-2009, 05:17 PM
I think of whole foods as foods that aren't too adulterated from their original version. So, I consider some boxed foods like cereals whole foods. However, I have a mad sweet tooth on occasion and I still really like the sugar free jello dark chocolate pudding. Also, So Delicious makes a wonderful 100 calorie coconut milk nondairy "ice cream" sandwich. So good!

RealCdn
05-11-2009, 06:37 PM
I make my own roast beef, smoke my own turkey, make my own jam, bake my own bread, can my own fruit. However, they'll have to pry my bottle of ketchup out of my cold dead hand. :D

nelie
05-11-2009, 06:41 PM
For me, its really about what my diet consists mostly of. I eat beans, whole grains, fruit and vegetables. I may add some things in like oat bran or unsweetened soy milk or premade salsa or soy yogurt. I just pick and choose what I add to my diet and make sure that those processed, even minimally processed foods, aren't the main focus of my diet.

Thighs Be Gone
05-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Diet Coke on Friday night

Fat-Free Miracle Whip to make tuna, salads, and tartar sauce

Laughing Cow Light cheese wedges

Sweetner in my coffee

Skinny Cow I C bars

LindaT
05-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Fat free cream cheese and fat free sour cream - just cannot part with either yet. :o I know they're Frankenfoods

craftykath
05-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Like LindaT, I can't part with sour cream. Can't do it. Fortunately I don't eat it too often. I also drink Diet Soda, although a heck of a lot less than I used to. I haven't had one in three days! Oh, and condiments...ketchup, mayo. Yes, mayo. -_-

Hyacinth
05-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Diet Coke, about once a week
Laughing Cow cheese, about once a month

Misti in Seattle
05-19-2009, 12:21 AM
Condiments but rarely, and I used to drown everything in them. :)
Occasionally a small ice cream cone from a local shop
Occasionally pizza in small amounts
Will eat out sometimes and eat something processed but not if I can find other stuff on the menu.
yogurt... quite a bit of it
cottage cheese and occasionally other cheese

Lexxiss
05-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Yes, Diet Coke, although much fewer than I used to, and the store bought sugar free individual puddings because they satisfy my sweet craving when I'm thinking of something way worse.

Glory87
05-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Oh, a lot. I just don't think I have it in me to be 100% whole foods focused. I drink the occasional diet soda, love sugar free lattes. I like all kinds of little packaged crunchy things for my salads which aren't great for me (tortilla strips, french fried onions, crispy wontons). I eat salad pretty much every day and I consider those foods helpful - they make salads fun for me.

Hmmm what else - low fat mayo (very little, mostly to make salmon salad sandwiches), laughing cow cheese, string cheese, BBQ sauce and salad dressings (although I try to buy organic). Various packaged Trader Joe's sauces and marinades. I buy whole wheat pizza crust, bread, yogurt, tortillas, pasta - if I were really really committed, I suppose I could make all that stuff.

Is wine considered a whole food? Hee.

Eating healthy food is important to me, but I try to balance that goal with my lifestyle.

Misti in Seattle
05-20-2009, 12:18 AM
Glory, that is kind of the way I do it also, only not so much as sounds as if you do. I completely avoid artificial sweeteners but I started doing that one several years ago. Once in a while I buy a bag of salsa Sun Chips and dole them out... 10 at a time with dinner, etc. But for stuff to add to my salads I have started getting things like falafel from PCC, heating them up and breaking them up, etc. Make yummy croutons although they are not cruncy. But I also add a few walnuts, cashews or almonds, etc. and some dried cranberries or cherries... fresh grapes, etc. to my salads.

I think I may go back to Miracle Whip Free. I MISS that stuff ha. I switched to organic mayo but that means I don't get to EAT much of it!!

rockinrobin
05-20-2009, 12:26 AM
Yogurt
Fiber One Cereal
Splenda and other artificially sweetened products, like SF ices
Crispy Wheats - a cracker like item

Oh, there's plenty more. Brains' just now working at this hour for some reason. :dizzy:

I am waaay satisfied and completely content with the vast amount of veggies, fruits and other whole foods that I consume to confidently say that I keep to a *mostly* whole foods diet. And that's more then good enough for me. :smug:

Misti in Seattle
05-20-2009, 12:35 AM
I agree, Robin. I want something I can LIVE with! And I am amazed at how much fruits and veggies I am eating and how GOOD they taste. I admit I "cheat" a lot though and buy lots and lots of salads and stuff from PCC Natural Market. :)

Misti in Seattle
05-20-2009, 12:37 AM
Another thing... and I was just thinking how long it has been since I have done this. I like to get the red seedless grapes and put them on the dehydrator. I don't even like raisins all that well but these are wonderful! Plain fresh pineapple also is really good dehydrated.

zenor77
05-20-2009, 10:24 PM
The occasional serving of chips, although I do avoid ones with with weird ingredients, just corn or potatoes and oil please!

Some condiments (pickled limes are my current favorite.)

I do buy "convenience foods" that I could make for myself, but I buy ones that contain the same ingredients that I would use, like plain yogurt, some whole grain breads, whole wheat pasta, etc.

I also have junk-y food occasionally at parties. Not much portion wise, but since it's so rare I don't feel guilty about it.

Misti in Seattle
05-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Sounds like a great, balanced plan, Zenor!

Has anyone had veggie pakora? I get them from PCC but they are deep fried so I eat only a very small portion... not to mention they are $16 a pound yikes. I am thinking of looking up a recipe on the net and seeing if I can make some and bake them. Also maybe for falafel

JulieJ08
05-21-2009, 12:27 AM
Has anyone had veggie pakora? I get them from PCC but they are deep fried so I eat only a very small portion... not to mention they are $16 a pound yikes.

Mmmm. I had an Indian friend make them for me at her home once. We ate them fresh as she made them. But I don't have a recipe. Sorry!

Misti in Seattle
05-21-2009, 01:55 AM
Thanks Julie. Actually I just went online and found a recipe. I don't cook much but might give them a try; they seem pretty easy.

nelie
05-21-2009, 10:58 AM
I think Trader Joe's sells them as well. There are certain things I will try but other things that kind of scare me. Pakora seems scary to me :)

Glory87
05-21-2009, 11:32 AM
It's actually pretty delicious - I haven't tried Trader Joe's version, but they are generally available for starters at Indian restaurants. I absolutely adore Indian food! (I don't generally order pakora though, due to my own personal rules about fried foods - that doesn't mean they aren't super tasty, my favorite are the onion ones).

nelie
05-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Oh I should say I'm not scared of eating it, I've had them many years ago in an Indian restaurant, but making certain things scare me :) I tend to avoid making things that require any sort of precision.

I adore Indian food as well and I'm flip flopping over going to a full veggie Indian restaurant for my birthday or going to a Burmese restaurant with a large veggie selection.

WaterRat
05-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Welcom back Misti!

I love Indian food, but have never had pakora, now I'll have to look for it. :lol: We have only 1 or 2 Indian places around here, but when we're on vacation we'll look for them. When I worked in downtown Seattle 10 years ago there was a Pakistani place you could get yummmy :drool: lunches. Not particularly calorie-friendly, but family made and GOOD.

For me, the non-whole things are for the most part condiments: mustard, mayo (olive oil base), ketchup, salsa (though the closet to whole I can find without making my own). Oh, and I get lf sour cream and cottage cheese. I avoid artifical sweetners as I don't like the chemical flavor, and aspertame gives me headaches.

Nelie - what an awful choice to have to make :lol:

nelie
05-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Pat - there is a pakistani place near our house and the food there is good :)

Misti in Seattle
05-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Hi everybody... and thanks, Pat. Nice to see you still around here!

Funny things I don't generally like Indian food... or rather it does not like me. But I do like the Pakora -- the recipe for them baked does not look that hard so perhaps I will give them a try. :)

ICUwishing
05-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Hormel's new line of less-processed lunchmeats. Sometimes a salad just wants a layer of meat! I'm phasing out of boxed cereals, but sometimes I like a bowl of Go Lean Crunch or Cheerios. Original shredded wheat is pretty good too, but I'm a'fearing a gluten sensitivity. Will know in a couple of weeks, and that could eliminate a whole lot more stuff. And yes, the Laughing Cow Lite cheese! Fastest way to short circuit a late-afternoon tummy grumble!

Ija
05-22-2009, 06:33 PM
Has anyone tried the crackers from Food Should Taste Good? They're all natural and have wonderfully short and readable ingredients lists, but super tasty. Yesterday I made myself a mackerel salad (canned mackerel, garlic, pumpkin seeds and a little mustard) and scooped it up with the multigrain chips... heavenly.

JulieJ08
05-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Has anyone tried the crackers from Food Should Taste Good? They're all natural and have wonderfully short and readable ingredients lists, but super tasty. Yesterday I made myself a mackerel salad (canned mackerel, garlic, pumpkin seeds and a little mustard) and scooped it up with the multigrain chips... heavenly.

I've never heard of them - what store did you find them at?

Sounds great - I love crunch.

Ija
05-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Julie, I get them at the local co-op, but I've seen them at a few other chain grocers. Here's the website:

http://www.foodshouldtastegood.com/#/home/

I'm telling you, they are so delicious!

JulieJ08
05-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Ah, I have such a visual memory, I remember now!

I had the chocolate ones - they have a selection of them at a health food type store near me. I thought they sounded so interesting, but wasn't thrilled with them. But I bet the MultiGrain flavor is really good.

definitely still a treat kind of thing. But if I'm going to have chips ... :)

I want to try the Sweet Potato flavor.