Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 135/134/115

Height: 5'1

Default 1st day at the gym

so, tomorrow is my first day at the gym or so i hope. it's been years since i made it to one but i was successful in losing weight before by doing aerobics. i also did the elipitical bike a while back and i don't recall well if it worked or not. will doing the elliptical for 30 min for 6 days help me lose weight? I need to lose about 20 pounds and i'm at the point where i almost feel depressed because of how i look/how much i weight. i am only 5'1 and close to 140 pounds, so it is not pleasant at all. i'll also go for a low calories diet.

thanks
Lucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:20 AM   #2  
-.-K!M-.-

S/C/G: 258/253.4/145

Height: 5'4"

I don't have any advice or tips with the workout, but I just wanted to say good luck at the gym tomorrow!!
ShutterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

I hope you gave a great time at the gym tomrorrow! Keep in mind that you will need to keep your expectations reasonable at first - the elliptical is hard to do more than 10 minutes on if you're not used to it. My first time I managed eight minutes, and I thought I was going to die.

Weather or not you lose weight will depend on the old 'calories in/calories out' bit. You will have to find an exercise routine and diet plan that works for *you*, and that will require some trial and error, but a regular exercise routine will always help with weight loss.

BP
bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:55 AM   #4  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Good luck at the gym tomorrow. I agree with the other posts - start slow and work your way up to more intense and longer durations. If you get too sore and/or injure yourself it will take a lot longer to lose that weight.

My trainer always reminded me that food is 80% and working out is 20%. Ensure that you are getting enough calories to accomodate your workouts and to keep your metabolism going. Common rule of thumb is cut 3700 calories a week to lose one pound of fat. There are a lot of websites that can help you find what your calorie target is and you will adjust to your individual needs after that.

One more piece of advice, after awhile, incorporate weights into your workout - it burns calories for a LONG time after and will help tone you up. And if you are unfamilar with it, an investment in a good trainer is worth every cent!

Have a good day the gym!
Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:04 AM   #5  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

As a beginner, the most important thing is consistency. Pick something that you like to do, and find a time to do it regularly. You'll naturally build upon that as you get fitter and stronger. ANY calories you burn at the gym will help, as long as you keep your food intake the same or less.

Don't be afraid to reach out and ask questions of the gym staff, that's why there are there!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote