Old 05-08-2009, 05:14 AM   #1  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Default What does low blood sugar feel like?

I've been having problems with dizziness - more like light-headed and woolly-footed than head spinning. Kind of like when you step off a moving pavement and your head takes a second to catch up with your body.

Had it last week, and wondered if it was ultra low salt.

I know my potassium intake is low, despite the bananas I eat, but the doc. says not to take a supplement because of my bp meds.

Wondered if my bp meds were too high, now I've lost 35lbs.

Adding a bit more salt to my diet seemed to help but then this week I had another serious moving of the universe (and not in a good way ) while rushing around tryin to find roast chickens for post-operative dogs.

Seen the nurse practitioner this morning. BP 140/70 - well it beats the 201/119 it started at! but is not Low BP.

She assumed it was low calories. Nope, 1500.
She assumed I was skipping meals. Nope, never.
She said to add a bit more salt. OK, can do.

I've to go back next Friday for a blood test (the stop start menopause) and see the nurse (nurse nurse not nurse practitioner) for that, and talk to her about diet.

It's this kind of thing I get annoyed at the health service for. If you have anything obvious or severe or an accident, it's great and absolutely free, although meds are to pay for unless you're on state benefits; but if it's something like this that needs blood work doing and someone to sit down and look at my nutrition and menopause and everything with me, it really falls down. If I go to a private health care company, a one hour 'well woman' consultation costs £500+ and I don't have that kind of money.

oh, so back to the question: I don't very often eat between meals: what does low blood sugar feel like? Maybe I should look at low GI meals?

Ta.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

It doesn't sound like when I get low blood sugar. I feel naseous and feel shaky inside. But I do get light-headed sometimes as you describe and I think this is down to a sudden drop in BP (postural drop). Its only temporary and will quickly return to normal. I get it when I get up from sitting sometimes or if I bend down to pick something up quickly. I don't take any BP medications but my BP has come down quite significantly with my weightloss so I wouldn't be surprised at all if you medication needed reviewing.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:50 AM   #3  
Senior Member by the Sea

S/C/G: 275/175

Height: 5'6"

If you're like me, your blood pressure could be up a bit when you're at the doctor's office ( white coat syndrome ). It sounds like what happens to me. I was on bp meds for years, but no longer take them because exercise and weight loss have improved it so much.

However, I'm now on a medication that has a side affect of lowering my bp (on a good day, like today, it's up to 94/68. I monitor it at home). My doctor recommended that I drink lots of water to help keep my blood volume up, which helps keep the blood pressure up, and to lie down when I get that dizzy feeling.

You should see your doctor.
Farseashore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

Maybe dehydration? Are you able to check your bp when you feel this way? Or maybe feel your pulse and see if your heart rate feels extra fast or extra slow. Also, you might want to take a closer look at the possible side effects of your meds. Some list hypotension as a side effect, and with your weight loss it could be an issue. Just a couple suggestions. Good luck!!
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:59 AM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

HI...I was taking 100mg of my bloodpressure meds and now im on 25 mg. I would get a funny feeling in the middle of the front of my head. Its hard to describe but I would feel dizzy and weak and just strange feeling. I have to record my blood pressure daily. I take those records with me to the dr and he keeps adjusting my meds.IM praying when i get to goal I can go off completly.
My daughters both have low blood sugar issues.Its hard to diagnoise for a dr. Sometimes drinking the sugary stuff will cause them and sometimes it wont. My dr advised us to get a cheap meter from walmart and test the girls when they are feeling funny. Bingo my older daughter called sick from school and i checked her on the way home and she was at 41. I called the dr and she said well now we know. When she has a spell she is to eat protien and carbs.
She has to eat every 3 hours and stay away from sugary foods and she also has to eat protien and carbs with each snack.

Good luck and let us know what you find out!!
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #6  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

I have chronic low blood pressure (90/60 is typical) and what you're describing sounds like when my BP dips below 60 diastolic. If that's what it is, nothing to worry about unless you're like on a ladder or driving.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #7  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I have low blood pressure too and that is what yours sounds like....I get that way esp if I'm bent over for a long period of time (like weeding my veggie garden)
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:53 PM   #8  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

It might be a great idea to check your bp -- as you know, you should be wearing a bp monitor and recorder for at least a day before any decisions about your bp are made. This is so that regular bp readings can be taken throughout a day to get an accurate average, so that high and low blips can be avoided (i.e. "white coat syndrome", where one's bp rises when in a doctor's office giving a false high reading in reaction to stress). It doesn't sound like a blood sugar thing, because low blood sugar gives a sweaty shaky reaction rather than a "room spinning" reaction.
Ask the nurse for a bp assessment (a proper one with multiple readings) and go from there.
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:13 AM   #9  
Happy Plodder

Thanks for all the suggestions.
km -what do you mean by multiple readings, please? all we ever get are the xx/xx figures.

After the test next Friday, I'm going to buy myself a home monitor kit and do my own recording. The gp is not concerned by my wooziness enough to give me a monitor I can wear all day.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:34 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 205/152/105

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanceDiva View Post
I have low blood pressure too and that is what yours sounds like....I get that way esp if I'm bent over for a long period of time (like weeding my veggie garden)
same here...but at the doctor's office it appears normal since I'm anxious about being there.

When I stand up from a laying or low position, I completely black out for a few seconds and feel woozy. I have to remind myself to rise slowly lol
Dalgishake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:20 AM   #11  
Happy Plodder

Thankyou for all the suggestions.

The nurse practitioner has just rung me from home - now there's a phonecall to strike fear and dread - to say she's reviewed by notes from my last practice and is sending me for an urgent gynae referral. Don't know if that could have an impact on the giddiness but at least someone's taking me seriously! And i still get the bloodwork done next Friday. Moving on.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #12  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hey, don't worry! It sounds like they want to check you out for your hemoglobin/iron levels. They sometimes go wonky if one experiences heavy cycles. Good thing to get checked out!
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote