100 lb. Club - I spent the night in the hospital

View Full Version : I spent the night in the hospital

cfmama
05-07-2009, 12:43 PM
with my first ever gall bladder attack. I thought I was going to die. In fact I'm still kinda sure that's going to happen. I have good heavy drugs and they are just barely touching the pain. Could you all say a few words of healing for my gall bladder please?

off to try to sleep.

lottie63
05-07-2009, 12:44 PM
hope you feel betta. I had mine taken out. the attacks were AWFUL.

DCHound
05-07-2009, 12:45 PM
OMG how awful!!!!!!!!!!! Sending you lots of prayers and get-well basset drool (it helps). And hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh man.

WarMaiden
05-07-2009, 12:52 PM
I have read that taking bitters (by drinking coffee, for example) may get the bile moving and help to stave off gall bladder attacks, in case you feel another one coming on. I believe my husband was getting these a couple of years ago, but he refused to ever go to the doctor, so I am not completely sure. (Massive abdominal pain at night, it was horrible.) Eventually they did stop happening, he hasn't had one in over a year. I think that changing diet probably contributed to them going away.

I am so sorry for your pain. Hang in there--you're not going to die :)

dgramie
05-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Go get that thing out as fast as possible!! I fought with mine for 12 yrs and then didnt know it was actually deterating the whole time. When mine came it out was in really bad shape with tears in it. I was so lucky to have a great surgeon who actually bagged it to get it out lap and not have to cut me wide open. Hope you feel better...stay away from fats and eats light. Also dont skip meals!!!!

Rosinante
05-07-2009, 01:00 PM
oooo nasty. I got Evil Gallbladder when I was 40 and the pain was the worst thing ever, and what I ate didn't affect whether I had an attack and or not, and no painkillers touched the pain. Although oddly, I was able to sleep if I went to bed. Hope you feel better soon, what a meany trick when you're improving your health so well.

emmalee51
05-07-2009, 01:03 PM
I'm really sorry to hear this CF - I cannot begin to imagine the pain you went through last night and still going through. Rest easy.

thinpossible
05-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Oh my gosh, how horrible! I had a friend who had gallstones, and she said it was 10x worse than labor pains.

WarMaiden
05-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Another thought: I don't know exactly what the diagnostic criteria are for gallstones / gallbladder attacks, but if there is any question at all, please press your doctor to have a CT scan done and look for cancer. Yes, that's a horrible scary thought and you probably don't have cancer, BUT my very healthy mom was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer after having what she (and her doctor) thought were gallbladder attacks. All those organs (gallbladder, pancreas, liver) are right next to one another, and a problem in one can cause problems in another, so PLEASE be careful and make sure they get the diagnosis right.

nelie
05-07-2009, 01:30 PM
I had a gall bladder attack a few years ago. Actually, two within a week. I thought I was going to die (and I was getting on a plane to China shortly after). It was confirmed, gall stones. Doc just said follow low fat diet and I haven't had an issue since.

Of course I've heard others who have said that their gall bladder got increasingly worse but that is my experience.

beerab
05-07-2009, 01:37 PM
OUCH! Hope you are feeling better now! Did they say what caused it?

kiramira
05-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Had one attack. Scheduled an appointment to get it out. Had it out. No worries! Follow up with your doctor, and make an appointment to get it assessed. When in doubt, cut it out!!!1
Kira

Sandi
05-07-2009, 01:42 PM
The attacks I had before I had mine taken out were terrible. But the removal of my gallbladder was pretty easy.

Feel better!

ShutterK
05-07-2009, 01:45 PM
I've heard they can be pretty painful. I hope you feel better soon!

Devsmama
05-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Prayers have been sent up for your healing!! Feel better soon!!

canadianangel
05-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Hope you feel better soon..when i had my attacts it was very pain full...try having a hot relaxing bath, or a heating pad. i hope it dosnt last long..

JayEll
05-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Mine had to come out when I finally had an acute attack, and it was like someone had run me through with a sword and then left the sword in place.

There is no reason to try to hold on to it. Laparoscopic surgery is very easy to recover from. Ask around about who the best gall bladder surgeon is, and have him or her do the workup.

Jay

SnowboundChick
05-07-2009, 02:25 PM
I hope you heal quickly. Sening healing vibes your way!!

Slashnl
05-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Ouch. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Jen415
05-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Not surprised you got them, since you dropped so much weight. I've known many big losers that had to have it taken out during or after the big loss.

LittleMoonRabbit
05-07-2009, 03:19 PM
feel better!! I am so sorry you are in pain!

SnowboundChick
05-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Not surprised you got them, since you dropped so much weight. I've known many big losers that had to have it taken out during or after the big loss.

Do you know why that is? I'm curious. Thanks.

TJFitnessDiva
05-07-2009, 03:23 PM
I hope you are feeling better soon! I had a couple of gall bladder attacks shortly after I had my oldest son and I felt like I was dieing

:hug:

WarMaiden
05-07-2009, 03:25 PM

"Rapid weight loss. As the body metabolizes fat during prolonged fasting and rapid weight loss—such as “crash diets”—the liver secretes extra cholesterol into bile, which can cause gallstones. In addition, the gallbladder does not empty properly."

Found here: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gallstones/

nelie
05-07-2009, 03:27 PM

Based on the below, if you are a woman, are overweight, have a fatty diet and lose weight rapidly, those are all risks for gallstones. Although even 'rapid' weight loss can be defined multiple ways although they mention crash diets/fasting, I believe even healthy diets with a fairly quick weight drop can cause them.

Reasons for gall stones:
http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gallstones/

Diet. Diets high in fat and cholesterol and low in fiber increase the risk of gallstones due to increased cholesterol in the bile and reduced gallbladder emptying.

Sex. Women are twice as likely as men to develop gallstones. Excess estrogen from pregnancy, hormone replacement therapy, and birth control pills appears to increase cholesterol levels in bile and decrease gallbladder movement, which can lead to gallstones.

Weight. A large clinical study showed that being even moderately overweight increases the risk for developing gallstones. The most likely reason is that the amount of bile salts in bile is reduced, resulting in more cholesterol. Increased cholesterol reduces gallbladder emptying. Obesity is a major risk factor for gallstones, especially in women.

Rapid weight loss. As the body metabolizes fat during prolonged fasting and rapid weight loss—such as “crash diets”—the liver secretes extra cholesterol into bile, which can cause gallstones. In addition, the gallbladder does not empty properly.

MugCanDoIt
05-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Sorry to hear that! What exactly does a gallbladder attack feel like?

Delphi
05-07-2009, 03:45 PM
You have my condolences! I do hope you recover soon. I'll keep you in my prayers. :hug:

nelie
05-07-2009, 03:53 PM

I think people have slightly different experiences but feels like a painful heart attack. I basically passed out from the pain after a serious wave of nausea. Then my chest hurt for days after.

Kimphin
05-07-2009, 04:28 PM
It feels like someone is jabbing a burning knife into your chest (below your sternum), and the pain goes all the way though to your back. The pain is unrelenting. I was ready to take mine out by myself by the time I had the surgery!

I hope all goes well and the attacks stop. It truly is awful.

Rosinante
05-07-2009, 04:31 PM

With me it was like somewhere in my insides (I didn't know it was gallstones at first) two sides were tied together by a cord, and some one was pulling the cord in the middle tighter and tigher so that the front side was being dragged to the back side. The pain would start severe, and I'd feel cold and clammy, then it would work up from severe to a level I don't have a word for. It came in waves so it would subside but not to below severe. Every time the pain got unbearable a part of me would think, at least that's it, it can't get any worse - but it always did. owowowow ow. Had the gallbladder out by keyhole, never looked back.

Hey - just remembered a weightloss goal - when I've lost another 40 or so pounds, I'll be able to see my scar again!

time2lose
05-07-2009, 05:03 PM
So sorry to hear about this! I will be praying for you.

barefootnikki
05-07-2009, 05:21 PM
I had an ER doc ask me about my gallbladder once. He said i was close to the classic gallbladder age and called it the "4-Fs" - Fat, Fair, Female, Forty!
I already had mine out at this time. I remember staggering to the nurses desk begging for meds. I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I'll be sending some good, healing karma your way!

GirlyGirlSebas
05-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Oh, Honey! I am so sorry. How are you feeling today? I am asking for healing for you.

Thighs Be Gone
05-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Positive vibes and prayers coming your way. Your whole foods that you are so fond of will help you.
Fight the good fight. We are all rootin' for ya.

willow650
05-07-2009, 05:36 PM
I will pray for healing but I agree with taking it out. I had mine removed several yrs ago the attacks were awful, I didn't know what they were. When i finally went to the ER (was doubled over, couldn't stand upright at all) I was already turning yellow, my common bile duct had 5 stones in it that had fell out of the gallbladder and that caused my liver to mess up. Did you see an ultrasound of your gallbladder to see how full of stones it is? mine was 3/4 full.

rockinrobin
05-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Oh sweetie, I am so sorry to hear of this. Wishing you a speedy recovery. :hug:

AmberShimmer
05-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Hope you feel better soon... sending good wishes and healing vibes your way. I've never had a gallstone attack but a dear friend has had them and is having it removed on the 13th.

WarMaiden, I have heard that about coffee too. About how it puts off gallstone attacks. I think I'll be adding a cup of coffee, black, to my diet now...

chickiegirl
05-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Hope you feel better soon. From what everyone is saying these attacks sound just awful.

Jennelle
05-07-2009, 06:40 PM
I hope you feel better soon! My mom has had two pretty severe attacks and she has a crazy-high pain tolerance and even *she* said the pain was almost unbearable.

Juniemoonie
05-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Oh I hope you're feeling better soon. I developed stones when I was pregnant with my son! OMG the pain!! It was C-R-A-Z-Y and they couldn't give me the good stuff because I was pregnant. I had it removed right after my c-section!

WildThings
05-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Sending lots of get well wishes! I have no experience with gallbladder issues so don't have any advice but I do know it's never fun to have to spend any time in the ER.

mj5
05-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Oh no! Feel better soon!!!

cfmama
05-08-2009, 04:06 AM
yah this sucks. I wrote that post this morning extrememly high on morphine... and I just took another morphine pill so my time here is limited!

They gave me a soft muscle relaxant (for organs) and that's doing the most good. A heavy duty anti-reflux med and then morphine. I've spent the day sleeping. I have a big comprehensive ultrasound first thing in the morning and we'll know more then.

As for how it felt? Worse than labour. Most pain I've ever felt in my life. If I could have crawled out of my skin I would have. I'm keeping up on my pain meds because I never want to feel that way again.

you ladies are my lifesavesres. I love you alls.

Numina
05-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Oh, Tammy, that sounds awful! I hope the doctors keep the pain meds high enough for you to get some rest while they --- quickly --- decide what to do more permanently. You are in my thoughts. Rest well and get better soon!

Jen415
05-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Let us know how your ultrasound goes. From what you've posted, I bet they will want to yank that thing out of you ASAP.

paperSkin
05-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Hope you feel better soon!

DCHound
05-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Still thinking of you and praying for you Tammy!!!!

nelie
05-08-2009, 01:02 PM
My doc gave me a bottle of the organ muscle relaxant in case I ever got an attack again. I keep it in my bathroom :)

I will also say I have a very high pain threshold and it is amazing what a gall bladder attack can do to you, never gone through labor so I can't compare.

cfmama
05-09-2009, 01:36 AM
It's feeling much better now (but that could be the good drugs)

I had my u/s this morning. I get results next week. Though the hospital did call but I was not home. They didn't leave a message though so hopefully it was not an emergency!

JayEll
05-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Hey mama,

They will never leave you a message--it's medical policy. They don't know who will listen to it.

I'm glad you're feeling better, but I think you're right--it's the drugs.

Jay

cfmama
05-09-2009, 11:25 AM
and it's TICKING ME OFF because these drugs are SO constipating. So despite the fact that I've hardly eaten for two days I'm back up to 269.8 this morning because I have no poo'ed in three days. Fun fun fun. Grrrrr....

Ookpik
05-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Hope you will be feeling better soon, Cfmama.

I had my gallbladder taken out last summer, they did a laparascopy so I healed pretty quickly (exercising again a few days later). As for attack pains, sometimes it felt like I was having a heart attack (had to be brought to the hospital once, via ambulance, from work) and sometimes it felt like I was being stabbed in the chest with a long knife that was going all the way through and out my back. Never gave birth so that I can't compare.

irishsarah
05-12-2009, 12:10 AM
My mom just went through this and ended up getting hers removed in March. I saw the pain in her eyes...I am so sorry you are going through that. The surgery is a lot easier then it was in the past (if you have to go that route) and I think a gallbladder must weigh at LEAST 3 pounds, don't you?! ;)

Rosinante
05-12-2009, 03:50 AM
I think a gallbladder must weigh at LEAST 3 pounds, don't you?! ;)

lol! I'm sure my stones did!!

cfmama
05-12-2009, 04:06 AM
My mom just went through this and ended up getting hers removed in March. I saw the pain in her eyes...I am so sorry you are going through that. The surgery is a lot easier then it was in the past (if you have to go that route) and I think a gallbladder must weigh at LEAST 3 pounds, don't you?! ;)

One can hope at LEAST three pounds ;) You make me smile girl :)

nelie
05-12-2009, 08:59 AM
How are you doing now? It sounds like you have been in pain still? I wonder if you were still passing stones?

When I had my gall bladder attacks, the intense pain lasted for a day only and then the following days were soreness. Although I wouldn't wish that on anyone, I'm sorry to see your pain continued on.

Jen415
05-12-2009, 09:21 AM
and it's TICKING ME OFF because these drugs are SO constipating. So despite the fact that I've hardly eaten for two days I'm back up to 269.8 this morning because I have no poo'ed in three days. Fun fun fun. Grrrrr....

Just think of the big ol' poo you're gonna have one way or the other eventually! Either "naturally", or when they clean you out pre-surgery! That has to be your three pounds in crapola right there!

Hope you're hangin' in there girl!

JayEll
05-12-2009, 11:01 AM
I don't believe that they "clean people out" pre-surgery for this... It's different when it's digestive system related. Mostly they will simply make sure you haven't eaten for a certain number of hours before surgery.

Jay

Momto2Ms
05-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Wow! That is scary. I hope you start to feel well.

Sunrose
05-12-2009, 11:23 AM
cfmama,

I am sending you a million get well wishes! I hope you feel better soon! Knowing you, you will be back in the game in no time at all, and I have complete faith that you will not let this get you down and you will keep going and achieve your goals!

Don't forget what a huge inspiration you are to so many people here. You are my biggest inspiration at the moment and following your inspiring story as it unfolds allows me to push myself and accomplish more than I ever would have otherwise. You make me want to keep going!

Get well soon! :hug:

cfmama
05-12-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm just kinda residually sore at this point. I'm off of my medications that were constipating me and making me retain water. So I've dropped 6 pounds in two days (4 pounds just over night last night) and that is nice.

I'm hoping to hear from my doctor today. *cross fingers*

I'm also over my snit (lol) so will be adding back my tickers and stuff... but prolly not till tomorrow as the server move and stuff.

DCHound
05-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Yay for being over le snit! :carrot:

harrismm
05-12-2009, 12:24 PM
I had mine out a month ago.Very easy surgery.I feel better than I have in years.

Jen415
05-12-2009, 01:18 PM
We're all entitled to the occasional snit--no biggie! I think they can be therapeutic!

cfmama
05-12-2009, 09:35 PM
You ladies all make me smile and laugh. Thank you :) I need it right now :)

Windchime
05-12-2009, 10:34 PM
You ladies all make me smile and laugh. Thank you :) I need it right now :)

This place is so good for all of us, isn't it!? I'm happy and relieved that you're feeling better in all ways. You're an inspiration to me. You have demonstrated what is really possible when a person is dedicated to their lifestyle change, and you have achieved wonderful results because of your dedication. So yay, cfmama! :)

cfmama
05-12-2009, 11:37 PM
I think I love you windchime. Come and give me a kiss ;) No seriously girl. Thank you :)