Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - What Goes Into Your Oatmeal?

View Full Version : What Goes Into Your Oatmeal?

Fox
05-06-2009, 10:07 AM
I adore oatmeal and it never gets eaten plain around here, I'm looking for some more ideas on how to have it. Today I made the Steel Cut Oats for the first time (it was tasty but I'm not sure if it was really worth all the effort and time) then added in diced granny smith apple, a tbsp of chunky natural peanut butter and a squirt of honey, it was SO delicious! I also have the banana bread flavor instant oatmeal which I like to add sliced banana and a spoonfull of peanut butter to (however the instant flavored oatmeals are a little too sweet for my preference).

So what's your favorite way to have oatmeal?

murphmitch
05-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Almond butter and Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

PurdueGal
05-06-2009, 10:23 AM
I have oatmeal for breakfast every morning! :)
I usually just put in/on my oatmeal whatever I have on hand, or things I need to get rid of. I always put in some healthy fat and protein. Sometimes I also try to get in a serving of fruit by putting berries in. Here are some things I love:
- ground flax seed - 1 tbsp almost every morning!
- almonds, walnuts, pecans
- 1 tbsp natural peanut butter
- raisins
- berries
- granola
- milk
- honey
- cinnamon
- smash up an overripe banana and mix in
- cereal

If you love eating oatmeal for breakfast, you should take a look at katheats.com. Its a food blog by a woman who eats oatmeal every morning and she always has something delicious! I've gotten lots of ideas from her.

WillPower
05-06-2009, 10:25 AM
I usually put fresh strawberries in my oatmeal and its delicious!

newleaf123
05-06-2009, 10:27 AM
I eat hot cereal almost every morning (alternating between oatmeal, 10 grain, and oat bran). I guess mine is boring since it's the same every day. I add:

- a tsp finely chopped nuts
- small amount of raisins
- squirt of honey
- big sprinkle of cinnamon

I'm going to have to get more adventurous after reading this thread -- especially since I bought almond butter yesterday and haven't tried any yet!

JulieJ08
05-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Lately I'm making it muesli style, soaked but uncooked, using a multi-grain mix:

mixed grains, vanilla soymilk, Greek yogurt, 1/2 banana, some green apple, walnuts, cranberries

LookingForMeAgain
05-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Ive been mixing in the Yoplait Light Cinnamon Roll yogurt (1/2 container) and some real cinnamon YUM-O

Ive also used the Cherry Cobbler one YUM!! The yogurts are 100 calories per serving so 50 if you use 1/2 and 5 g of protein per container.

If I dont feel like having yogurt Ill add in strawberries. Im not a big fan of plain strawberries or plain oats so its a win win.

ShutterK
05-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Blueberry fan here!

EsperanzaBella82
05-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Mmmm...almond butter in oatmeal sounds sooo good.

Julie, I like your muesli-style oatmeal concoction too...sounds delicious!

I had oatmeal today--organic instant, plain, because I can't stand sugary oatmeal/cereal. I added some frozen blueberries and voila! Yummy breakfast. I usually add 2 tbsp. of ground flaxmeal as well but I am currently out of it.

gailr42
05-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Love my oatmeal and eat it just plain lots of times. Favored additions are broken walnuts, raisins, other dried fruit, pumpkin seeds, blueberries or other berries. I sometimes add a squirt of honey or a bit of real maple syrup. Not too often with the sweetner, because I don't want to get too used to sweet cereal.

I am not sure I think it is worth the extra effort to use the steel cut oats either. I like it, but when anything becomes too much trouble, I am apt to not do it.

Idealperson
05-06-2009, 12:07 PM
FF Cool Whip! It's sweet and creamy and low in calories!

mamaspank
05-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Brown sugar, bananas, and raisins.

LindaT
05-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Sugar Free Almond Roca torani syrup and unsweetened almond breeze

You can make a batch of the oats and have it all week. heck I've even frozen it before. It was fine when I defrosted.. a little softer maybe but not awful at all

Fox
05-06-2009, 12:50 PM
I never thought of putting in nuts! (which sounds really stupid since one of my oatmeal staples is to add in peanut butter, duh!) I think I'll pick up some chopped pecans (my favorite) and try that with the apple in tomorrow's batch!

LindseyLouWho
05-06-2009, 01:08 PM
One of my favorites when I was on an oatmeal kick was having it with some ff half and half, craisins, and sliced almonds.

I also will do vanilla protein powder and a banana, banana/pecan/SF pancake syrup, raisins/pecans/cinnamon/splenda...

ringmaster
05-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Sugar Free Almond Roca torani syrup and unsweetened almond breeze

You can make a batch of the oats and have it all week. heck I've even frozen it before. It was fine when I defrosted.. a little softer maybe but not awful at all

that's one flavor I've been wanting to try... does it taste good in other things?

how do you make and keep a batch of oatmeal for the week?

and to answer the original question :D... I usually put in protein powder and a tablespoon of peanut butter, but I'm looking to try different things, maybe ground flax seeds.

Thighs Be Gone
05-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Lately I have just been doing a cup of blueberries and 10 raw almonds. I also put in a couple of tablespoons of golden brown flaxseed.

meganbee
05-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Here is how i make mine

1/3 cup oats
1 cup water
1 sm chopped apple
1 cup wild blueberries

sometimes I add cinnamon, ground flax seeds, or walnuts

LindaT
05-06-2009, 01:41 PM
that's one flavor I've been wanting to try... does it taste good in other things?

how do you make and keep a batch of oatmeal for the week?

and to answer the original question :D... I usually put in protein powder and a tablespoon of peanut butter, but I'm looking to try different things, maybe ground flax seeds.

I think the almond roca tastes really good. I haven't used it on anything else, but if you go to www.torani.com the web site has a lot of recipes. You can also see the whole list of flavors they have... even sugar free peanut butter!!

I use the make ahead/be prepared method of making oats at the Mccans site http://www.mccanns.ie/preparation.html

Renacer
05-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Sometimes I make a type of infusion with cinammon sticks, cloves and star anise. I put it into the milk or water for the oatmeal and some vanilla as well.

Other favorites are:

One banana and cinammon
Non fat plain greek yogurt and cinammon
Mixed berries
Cranberry, almonds and brown sugar (just a pinch)
Granny Smith Apples

Oatmeail is delicious and versatile!

willow650
05-06-2009, 02:23 PM
I guess I'm weird...lol I just like mine with some Earth Balance butter, a packet of slpenda and skim milk. Sometimes I add cinnamon

prepping
05-06-2009, 02:26 PM
I can eat my oatmeal concoction every day and be perfectly content :)

1/4 cup plain quick oats
2 tbsp ground flax seed
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
lots of cinnamon and a bit of nutmeg
(sometimes I'll put in 1/4 cup dry cottage cheese for protein if I'm not having some other type of protein on the side or later on)

sweetandspicy
05-06-2009, 02:27 PM
I use one oz of unsalted walnuts for protein
splenda for sweetness
cinnamon for flavor
a cut up apple

I put the apple in before I heat up the oatmeal that way it softens the apple up and it taste delicious with or without the walnuts. I personally need some protein in the morning to keep going.

newleaf123
05-06-2009, 03:41 PM
I never thought of putting in nuts! (which sounds really stupid since one of my oatmeal staples is to add in peanut butter, duh!) I think I'll pick up some chopped pecans (my favorite) and try that with the apple in tomorrow's batch!

Just a caution to be mindful on the quantity of chopped nuts. I had been using a heaping tablespoon (not measuring spoon, but the silverware one) until I got a food scale. Now I do a heaping teaspoon :o

cottagebythesea
05-07-2009, 07:31 AM
I adore oatmeal and have it almost every morning. Usually I top it with ff Greek yogurt, fruit and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

I recently started soaking the oats in unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze overnight with a splash of vanilla extract, and in the morning adding in some fruit. Mmmmmm! I like to heat it for a minute in the microwave, but it's good cold, too. It's become my favorite way to eat it!

Fressca
05-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Wow, everyone has such interesting oatmeal! I feel downright boring in comparison...

Scottish oatmeal (Bob's Red Mill)
1 Tbs flax
1 Tbs wheatgerm
Just enough skim milk to cover the top

Mmm!

Fox
05-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Today I tried:

granny smith apple
chopped pecans (which I toasted in a dry skillet)
sprinkle of cinnamon
pinch of salt

It was SO good! Toasting the pecans really made a world of difference and only took about 1 minute and a half!

Fox
05-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Just a caution to be mindful on the quantity of chopped nuts. I had been using a heaping tablespoon (not measuring spoon, but the silverware one) until I got a food scale. Now I do a heaping teaspoon :o

yup those nuts sure do add up quick! Breakfast is generally my biggest meal of the day though so I can afford a healthy dose of calories. This morning I used 1/4 cup of chopped pecans which comes out to roughly about 200 calories, altogether with the oatmeal and apple (no sweetener or milk added to up the calories) my meal came to around 450-500 calories which works out well for my meal structure for the day.

Oh how I wish they could come up with calorie free nuts though! I definitely cannot snack on them because I just can't seem to stop once I get started and a single serving size is just SO small!

BlueToBlue
05-09-2009, 10:51 PM
For my everyday oatmeal or oat bran (and, yes, I do eat it almost everyday), I just stir in:

1 tbsp of FF cream cheese (this makes it nice and creamy)
sweetener (usually SF Torani syrup)
cinnamon
small amount of apricots or cherries, if in season
1 tbsp flax seed, ground, if I have the calories available

For oat bran, I'll also add some ground cardamom while it's cooking, but I suspect this is an acquired taste.

For something a little more special, I'll do one of the following:

1 tbsp cocoa powder and SF chocolate Torani
1 tbsp peanut butter and sweetener (2 tbsp peanut butter if I want it to be really special)
1 tbsp FF cream cheese, 2 tbsp pumpkin purree, cinnamon, and sweetener
pre-boil water to cook oatmeal, remove from heat and steep a packet of spices (mixture of cardamom pods, star anise, cinnamon, and/or cloves) in it for half an hour, then make oatmeal as normal

evilwomaniamshe
05-09-2009, 11:09 PM
I prefer eating my oatmeal dry.
I love to eat 1/2 cup dry old fashioned oats, a sliced banana or an apple cubed & I mix in 1 container fruit yogurt cherry or blueberry, stir and eat! Yummy and filling. Sometimes if I want hot oatmeal, I will nuke the oats with water in microwave, when done I stir in 1 container of fruit flavored yogurt, stir & eat, its pretty darn tasty this way too & oh yeah I sprinkle both cold or hot version of the oatmeal with ground flax too. Dee-lish!

craftykath
05-09-2009, 11:14 PM
^^^ That sounds delicious, evilwomaniamshe. I will have to try that tomorrow morning. I was also having difficulty trying to make my oatmeal tasty. All of these suggestions sound great.

newleaf123
05-09-2009, 11:29 PM
I bought some pear butter at the store (similar to apple butter or pumpkin butter) and have been adding it to my oatmeal, along with a sprinkle of semi-ground flaxseed and a small spoonful of chopped nuts. It has been wonderful!

zinkemomx2
05-10-2009, 09:14 AM
I often eat it as a dessert. One serving of oatmeal, a small banana, and a sprinkle of chocolate chips.

Platinum
05-12-2009, 06:47 AM
This makes me want to experiment! All great combos here! When I eat it I usually just do a packet of Splenda & 1/2 tsp of Cinnamon... Sometimes with blueberries & splash of milk. I just thought Cinnamon & Honey would be good instead of the splenda! Bonus for antioxidants** I think the finely chopped nuts sounds good too! I've been looking for ways to eat more nuts other than just measuring out a serving... I don't like them on salad or on entree's really but on Oatmeal sounds like I could eat that!

bacilli
05-12-2009, 07:45 AM
You guys are the greatest. I've never liked oatmeal, not even a little bit. I think it's a texture issue. This thread convinced me to go buy some and try it again. I toasted steel-cut oats first, then cooked them, topped them with a bit of almond milk and blueberries (I can eat ANYTHING if it's got blueberries in it, I think), and ya know, it was good enough to eat! You broke me of a 30-year aversion to oatmeal!

BillBlueEyes
05-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Do oatmeal occasionally - granola fan here - but this chilly spring morning was the day:

2/3 cup store brand quick oats
4/3 cup skim milk with a scoop of ON 100% whey protein powder
1 cap vanilla extract
handful of frozen blueberries added after microwaving 4 minutes

On the side:
6 large strawberries
3 dried figs
6 walnut halves

That'll last me til lunch for sure.

Xan
05-12-2009, 10:28 AM
So many great ideas! I haven't gotten more imaginative than nuts (usually walnuts) and honey, and I've been using instant oatmeal.

azmom
05-14-2009, 07:27 PM
I know this sounds odd, but I grew up eating oatmeal with milk and salt (lots of it) i still really enjoy it that way.

I also adore it cooked with a slice banana in it and then i add lots of cinnamon and brown sugar splenda! Yum! I often eat that for dinner!

Suzanne 3FC
05-14-2009, 11:15 PM
I buy Holly's Oatmeal, which is mostly oats but also contains a variety of other grains. Some versions have dried fruit, but no sugar is added. I cook it in unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It's the only oatmeal I've ever eaten that I liked without any sweetener. If I find I need a touch of sweetness, I use a squirt of agave nectar.

Cie
05-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Wonderful thread, thanks. I grew up eating oatmeal and only started eating it again after reaching maintenance. I now eat it daily so I love the ideas which I will be trying now. Love the katheats blog where she includes photos. :cool:

nikkibabyyyyxo
05-15-2009, 11:25 PM
cinnamon, vanilla extract, and natural peanut butter :-)

digitalrequiem
05-16-2009, 05:34 PM
I used to hate oatmeal until I started seriously trying to lose weight. Now I love the stuff. I like to use either steel cut oats or the Quaker Multi Grain Hot Cereal. My favorite combos are:

Cook the cereal in skim milk or half milk/half water. Add brown sugar and a slash of vanilla with it is cooking. Sever over raw slivered almonds and fresh blueberries. Yum!
-or-
Cook the cereal the same way, but add a scoop of cocoa powder. I used the sweetened kind for this because I don't need to add anymore sugar. Add a small handful of craisins while it cooks and eat. It's like a chocolate cranberry bowl of wonderful!

However, peanut butter sounds like a great idea. I think that I will try chocolate peanut butter oatmeal tomorrow!

grae
05-19-2009, 09:56 AM
we eat oatmeal almost daily. steel cut oats with 1/2 - 3/4 cup of a frozen berry blend .. our newest fav is strawberries / raspberries / blueberries and cherries, with 1 T flaxseeds and skim milk. yum!

just_a_dreamy1
05-21-2009, 03:08 PM
I LOVE a TB of peanut butter and a banana in my oatmeal. If you like it sweeter, just add a bit of honey. YUM!

I've also done vanilla yogurt, sugar free apple sauce and apple pie spices for an apple pie a la mode style breakfast. :drool:

Darkblue
05-31-2009, 10:52 AM
1/3C whole oats
1/3C water
1/3C skim milk
cinnamon, nutmeg, a little brown sugar
raisins, walnuts

Mmmmm.

mizski
05-31-2009, 11:27 AM
I usually have my oatmeal fairly plain with a little bit of Whey Low D and milk (cow or unsw. almond breeze). I like cooking the individual serving of rolled oats in milk but cook my batch of steel-cut oats in water in my little 1-qt crock pot. Then I can just nuke a portion each day with a little milk & sweetener.

My latest treat is a South Beach Phase 2 recipe for steel-cut oats with dried apricots and toasted walnuts. Very tasty for a change. :)

JenMusic
01-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Yikes this is an old thread! But I found it while doing some digging for something else I'm looking for, and I figured it would be of interest to people - I feel like we're always looking for ways to mix up our oatmeal eating! :)

My most recent "favorite" way to eat oatmeal:
3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (I like TJ's 2%)
1/2 cup uncooked rolled oats
1 cup berries (thawed if previously frozen)
dash cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla

I eat it just like this - no cooking. Sounds slightly crazy, I know, but gives a nice texture to the food and slows my eating down.

Peaches5577
01-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Hey girls, loving this thread! I have always HATED oatmeal due to the texture but love the idea of not having to cook it to eat it. So....can you tell me exactly what I can do with it and not have to cook/soak it? Think I would actually eat it this way. I have rolled oats, ground flax seed, natty peanut butter, honey, and cinnamon to work with, blueberries too. Can I make anything yummy with that?

joyyoj
01-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Lots of great ideas! This morning I made my oatmeal with 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk and 1/2 cup water, 1 tablespoon or so of chopped walnuts and stirred with a cinnamon stick. If I had an apple handy, I would have grated some of that as well.

lunameower
01-12-2011, 05:35 PM
I like to throw in a handful of trail mix, usually from Whole Foods, and yes, often one with chocolate chips, I get my chocolate that way and don't miss it too much, I also usually throw in pumpkin seeds, that is my nut or seed of choice.

AnnieDrews
01-12-2011, 05:48 PM
I know I've posted this elsewhere, but this is my fav way to eat oatmeal: Cooked with lots of cinnamon and butter flavored extract stirred in after coming off the fire, stir in frozen (unsweetened) dark cherries or blueberries. Then I add a small amount of Splenda brown sugar.

I actually make up a batch of 5 servings every Sunday evening and take a bowl to work daily. Heat it up and add the fruit and Splenda at work.

vdander24
01-12-2011, 06:02 PM
I just had oatmeal this morning! I don't do the instant at all, because I can't stand the texture. I made old fashioned oats, mixed in some raisins, sliced almonds and 2 tsps of pur maple syrup. I am definitely trying some of these ideas!

angelskeep
01-12-2011, 06:42 PM
I don't eart oameal, but I have a 7-grain hot cereal that I eat nearly every day. I usually put 1/2 cup of almond milk, splenda and either 1 cup frozen rasp., or 1 cup frozen blueberries or 1/8 Cup of dried cranberries in. The cranberries work best if they are put in before cooking so they plump up. Robert eats old fashioned oats with either fresh fruit, butter (margarine), milk and cinnamon, or with just a serving of lowfat fruit yogurt.

Barb

Oh. and I made a pumkin oatmel the other day that was really good...even *I* liked it. The recipe is on foodnetwork.com, by Aarti Sequeira (sp?) I adapted it to be less fat and didn't add sugar or the heavy cream at serving.

Sasil
01-13-2011, 09:37 AM
I read this last night..and you all made me hungry for oatmeal..LOL..so guess what I'm having for breakfast :-) OATMEAL!!

I like mine with cinnamon and a tablespoon of creamy peanut butter dropped on top and it has to sit for a while so the peanut butter melts a bit...yummy!!

JenMusic
01-13-2011, 09:58 AM
I made a really filling oatmeal this morning, adapted from a Hungry Girl idea - if you use twice the amount of liquid (still keeping the oats the same) you end up with a bigger bowl. The oatmeal itself is mushier, more like hot cereal, with vey little bite or chew, but it's a ton of food and very filling.

My bowl:
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup water
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
cinnamon
vanilla extract
Cook all that together on the stove for a while . . . it cooks down over 10-15 minutes, with occasional stirring.

After cooking, add:
1/2 serving frozen raspberries
1/2 serving frozen blueberries

Then stir in, or put on top:
3/4 cup Greek yogurt (I prefer 2%, but only had nonfat)

Total calories were right at 360 and it was delicious and so filling. Lots of protein, some fat, and a fruit serving.

misstraveller
01-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Pumpkin, cinnamon, Truvia = pumpkin pie flavored YUMMINESS

SF Peanut butter, cut up apples = apples dipped in pb flavored YUMMINESS

charmtime
01-20-2011, 04:39 PM
I eat this almost every morning.....instant maple/brown sugar oatmeal. I add unsweetened frozen blackberries and walnuts. So very satisfying:)

Silverdrmr
01-27-2011, 10:38 AM
I have to have my old-fashioned oatmeal every morning.

I make it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, dried fruit bits (sun-maid brand) and 1/2 serving of vanilla protein powder.

Sometimes I add some cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, allspice, etc to change it up a bit so I won't get tired of the flavors too quickly.

This combination of fiber and protein helps keep me filled for hours.

Kimberly2011
01-27-2011, 11:38 AM
MMMM - my favorite breakfast! I usually just add blueberries, a little bit of skim milk and one Stevia packet. For those that may not have tried it yet, I LOVE the McCann's Instant Irish Oatmeal - it is so yummy!

grneyedmustang
01-27-2011, 11:46 AM
This is a great thread!

I usually eat mine one of two ways:
With strawberries, milk, and splenda
With sliced apples, toasted walnuts, milk and cinnamon

I had it with blackberries last week, it was okay.

There are some great ideas here, I'm definitely going to try a few. I really like the idea of using yogurt to flavor the oatmeal.

Cucumber Blossom
02-02-2011, 01:34 AM
I love oatmeal.

I normally eat mine w/the combos below:

oatmeal + almond milk + craisins
oatmeal + almond milk + peach
oatmeal + almond milk + strawberries
oatmeal + almond milk + blueberries

Nuclear Indeed
02-02-2011, 03:57 AM
Awesome thread. All hail oatmeal!

I usually add a splash of milk and stevia to my oatmeal, no matter what else I throw in. Some of my mix-ins are as followed:

-Banana slices
-tsp peanut butter
-Banana slices AND a tsp or so of cocoa powder
-Apple chunks (haven't done this lately, though)
-Cinnamon

I noticed that some of the people in this thread mentioned strawberries. I'm intrigued. I always wanted to try it, but I never did.

Ohhh man. I can't wait until breakfast now.

saef
02-02-2011, 08:08 AM
This morning, mine was filled with walnuts, and I used a splash of sugarfree Torani Hazelnut syrup when I wet it down, and also about a teaspoon of imitation maple flavoring stirred through it. The idea was to get a maple walnut flavor & it pretty much worked.

Ruthxxx
02-02-2011, 08:16 AM
I cook mine in ff milk with Salba, ground flax and raisins. I add sf yogurt. Yummy!

morphomel
02-02-2011, 12:41 PM
I eat oatmeal every freakin' day! The base is always 40g oats, 92g carton egg whites, 1/2 cup water.

Add-ins: imitation maple flavoring, cinnamon, dried cranberries or blueberries, cocoa powder+torani sugar free peppermint syrup, peanut or almond butter, pumpkin puree, combos of some of these

WhitePicketFences
02-02-2011, 01:05 PM
This is a great thread. When I realized it was old, I was surprised that I hadn't responded to it. YES, ALL HAIL OATMEAL! :-)

Yesterday morning I had oatmeal with a 45-calorie square of a chocolate bar -- an 80% dark chocolate bar. I buy these dark chocolate-banana bars at whole foods and parcel them out to myself, 1 square for a half cup of rolled oats.

If I haven't said this before here then I've been remiss, because stirring a square of dark chocolate into my still-warm, stovetop oats makes for a heavenly meal. It melts instantly and you mix it up to eat chocolate oatmeal! This grossed out my husband, who doesn't even like oatmeal and thought it looked like, uh, crap. Then he tried a spoonful and said it tasted like cookies. So try this!

I also always add a dash of cinnamon.

Other things I've added to oats instead of chocolate ...
*cranberry sauce (I keep in ice-cube trays for this reason)
*frozen blueberries
*1 tbsp of peanut butter, for peanut-butter oatmeal

Aunty Jam
02-02-2011, 01:26 PM
I have oatmeal every morning! I use quick oats and nuke them while I'm getting ready.

My favorite way is with natural peanut butter and milk but I've also used chopped nuts (walnuts, almonds). Sometimes I'll nuke a bowl for a snack with frozen or fresh berries, usually blueberries or raspberries. I try to stay away from the sweetner because I also don't want to get hooked on having something sweet every morning.

Recently I ate uncooked oats with cottage cheese, milk and cinnamon. It doesn't sound great but it's not bad. You can also heat this if you like but I tried that and really didn't like it.

digitalrequiem
02-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Mmm Oatmeal! I have been eating oatmeal as my 9AM breakfast because it keeps me full until 1pm when I eat lunch. I usually stick to instant because we only have microwaves at work and it is easier for me. My current favorite is the Nature's Path Organic Blueberry, Multigrain, Flax. I'll microwave it with half vanilla soymilk and half water and a handful of blueberries (fresh or frozen). I swear it tastes so much like a blueberry pancake! If I'm feeling devious, I'll add a teaspoon of maple syrup on top :-)

My other favorite way is to add a heaping teaspoon of dark chocolate powder to my oats, a packet of stevia, and a little bit of almond milk and almond extract. Chocolate almond goodness!

losermom
02-03-2011, 06:13 PM
All Hail Oatmeal Indeed! I ate it for breakfast and lunch today. I couldn't decide what to bring for lunch this morning and I had my oatmeal out so I just brought a serving for lunch along with an orange.

I'm a little obsessed with steel-cut oatmeal. I make a big 8-9 serving batch once a week in the crock-pot. I add oats, ground flax seed, loads of cinnamon, vanilla extract, stevia and usually bananas. I have added frozen blueberries, apples, pumpkin puree in place of the bananas. I never even thought about adding chocolate...:devil:

tigerpeach
02-03-2011, 07:44 PM
How do you do the steel cut oats?

Larry H
02-04-2011, 07:45 PM
What Goes Into my Oatmeal?

Water and sometimes a packet of sweet and low after it is cooked.

Larry,
--------------

dj mayhem
02-04-2011, 09:28 PM
I love oatmeal! I usually do honey or brown sugar. If i have strawberries on hand i'll put those in. I also like apple in mine.

sacha
02-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Canned pumpkin, vanilla protein powder, 1 tbsp flaxseed oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, and some brown sugar splenda, crushed nuts.

I have this with my son every morning (I cut out the protein powder/splenda from his serving) and he loves it!!

KellyMarie90
02-06-2011, 05:20 PM
I LOVE OATMEAL!
I eat it every single day, one way or another haha
I just plain store brand quick oats and mix in different things.
some of my favorite mix-ins are
Almonds
Blueberries
raspberrries
Bananas
Natural chunky peanut butter
cinnamon
unsweetened dark cocoa powder

I do different combinations of these and sometimes I'll even slice the banana put it on top, sprinkle with cinnamon and pop it under the broiler until the oatmeal bubbles, it gives the banana a cool texture and flavor.
I'm really thinking about doing this with apples soon. I love baked apples and I've never tried apples in my oatmeal but you all have inspired me!

Runic
02-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Thank goodness for this thread. I have been scared of eating oatmeal lately because I usually load it with butter, sugar and whole milk, making it not so healthy.

The other day I ate this bowl, but I felt like the bites without banana were tasteless

1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup of water
1/4 cup soy milk
1 tbsp honey
1 banana cut into slices

Beverlyjoy
02-06-2011, 06:48 PM
What a great thread! In my oatmeal I'll add some combo of these:

banana
peanut butter
almond butter
1/4 c. pumpkin puree/cinn./sf maple syrup
raisins
berries

GREAT ideas - thanks for bringing this thread back to life.

lackadaisy
02-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Important question... do you guys cook the toppings into the oatmeal, or make it "plain" and essentially oat-flavored/flavorless in batches, reheat, and add toppings then?

grneyedmustang
03-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Important question... do you guys cook the toppings into the oatmeal, or make it "plain" and essentially oat-flavored/flavorless in batches, reheat, and add toppings then?

I cook my toppings into the oatmeal...hope this helps.

WSN
03-20-2011, 11:15 PM
I like to just mix in some plain nonfat greek yogurt. It makes it a little tart which I love, I don't usually have a big sweet tooth. Sometimes I'll crush up a few almonds or other nuts and throw them in as well. I love my oatmeal, I eat it most mornings and always look forward to it.

Kateryna
03-22-2011, 06:54 PM
I think this is going to be a first:

I LOVE to put a serving of cubed cheese inside hot oatmeal. Just plain oatmeal with butter and melted cheese. Really Good!! It's a "porridge" version and I only use the largest whole oats.

For the sweet taste: I put cinnamon, ground flax and bran and raisins with some honey.

bellaella
04-02-2011, 03:48 PM
great thread because I LOVEEE oatmeal! i eat it every morning when i get to work!!

since i am at work, i just throw in a handful of DRIED CRANBERRIES!!! they are naturally a little sweet and tangy so you dont have to add in any extra sugar!!

when i have time, i like to create a little oatmeal yogurt parfait!
so i put oatmeal (1 inch thick) on the bottom (cooked of course!) and then i layer on bananas, and any type of fruits (cut into chunks) on top!! i throw in strawberries, grapes, pineapples, peaches ANYTHING!!! and then i scoop on some yogurt and a handful of cereal (fibre 1 to keep it healthy).
THEN, because i love the mix of textures in my mouth, i SCOOP DOWNWARDS, so i get ALL the layers!!

ITS DELICIOUS!!!

Esofia
05-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Round here we call it porridge but I think it's the same stuff.

Personally I like it plain. Rolled oats, soya milk, pinch of salt. Then I decided that I should be getting more protein, so I started adding a bit of protein powder. I don't like the taste much that way, so I either cover it with a chopped date or two (added during cooking), or put in a teaspoon of a chopped nut/seed mix (almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds) and put half a teaspoon or so of molasses on top just before serving. Which means that either way I'm adding more sugar, annoyingly, but it's a small amount and both are decent sources of minerals.

I can't believe no one else has mentioned date porridge, though, I practically lived on it for breakfast when I was a teenager!

The one thing I really hate is cleaning the porridge pan. I have a nice little steel pan which is just the right size for cooking a single portion of porridge, or rice, or a small sauce. However, it has rivets on the inside and they are an absolute nuisance to clean around, necessitating several minutes with wire wool. Since I'm trying to eat porridge every day now, I'm looking thoughtfully at enamelled steel milk pans. Has anyone ever used something like that?

rawbanana
05-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Lately we have liked peanut butter, jelly, strawberries and bananas!