General chatter - SciFi Geek Movie Heaven

View Full Version : SciFi Geek Movie Heaven

Riverite
05-05-2009, 11:38 PM
There are a few movies coming out this summer that I cannot wait to see!

Anyone see Wolverine last weekend? Planning on seeing Star Trek next weekend? Shannon, I know you are out there somewhere with your awesome Trek avatar.

I also canít wait for Terminator and Transformers.

freshmanweightorbust
05-06-2009, 01:19 AM
I'm so going to see both Wolverine and Star Trek this week/weekend. I cannot wait to see Karl Urban as Dr. Leonard McCoy. One of my favorite actors playing one of my favorite ST characters! Squeeeeee!!!

Oh, and that Hugh Jackman fellow isn't too diffcult to stare at for prolonged periods, either... :)

lizziep
05-06-2009, 03:08 AM
wolverine was really good. i liked it a lot.

we rarely go see movies in the theater but this summer has so many awesome ones! I can't wait for Terminator! We'll probably go see Star Trek too.
then there's transformers, public enemies (not sci fi but christian bale AND johhny depp!) and HARRY POTTER!!!

Ambrosia
05-06-2009, 03:44 AM
I cannot wait to see the new Terminator film and Harry Potter (more fantasy than sci-fi).

Delphi
05-06-2009, 06:55 AM
Yeah, I will be seeing all these movies you mention. What a great summer for us ubergeeks. ;)

Heffalump
05-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Not a trekkie at all, but I'm so going to see the new one. Simon Pegg FTW!

Also looking forward to 9 (has one of the most incredibly cool trailers ever!), Terminator, Harry Potter, The Road

(OK so I'm wildly mixing in fantasy and post-apocalypse now, but still...)

grneyedmustang
05-06-2009, 10:36 AM
I'm not a trekkie either, but i really want to see the new Star Trek. I'd also like to see the Terminator.

freshmanweightorbust
05-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Oh is there another Harry Potter this summer? Yay! I didn't know. What are we up to? Half-Blood Prince?

Shannon in ATL
05-06-2009, 01:24 PM
I just saw Wolverine this weekend, I have had my tickets for several weeks to the new Trek on the IMAX screen. Definitely planning on Terminator, Harry Potter, Transformers. I will see any that are available in IMAX - love it! Absolutely a good summer for DH & I move wise! :)

willow650
05-06-2009, 01:29 PM
My husband and I will be going to see Star Trek this weekend on the IMAX screen. He is a HUGE SciFi geek(term used lovingly of course) Major star trek fan but has never seen a star trek movie at the theater. He is VERY excited and I am excited for him. I remember my mom taking my brother and I to see The Wrath of Khan when we were kids.

Chelby29
05-06-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm SO excited to see Star Trek! Loved the originals and The Next Generation.

mrsaugie
05-06-2009, 07:00 PM
DH and i are hoping to see Star Trek, Harry Potter,and the other one i want to see is public enemies. i know not sci-fi/fantasy but it still looks good.

i did not know there is another transformers coming out. i think that might be added to the list as well.

nelie
05-06-2009, 07:10 PM
I haven't gone to the movies in over a year. I'm not a huge Star Trek fan but I like the original. I saw the preview for the movie a few weeks ago and thought it might be interesting to see.

RachelOnADiet
05-08-2009, 03:07 AM
Just got back from seeing Star Trek...SO much awesomeness. I saw Wolverine last weekend, it was good too. Can't wait for that sequel. I also can't wait for Harry Potter in two months!

Shopaholic1204
05-10-2009, 03:32 AM
I'm a geek for seeing these movies?? LOL!!! (dont answer that..I know I'm already a nerd for loving Twilight, lol)

We saw Wolverine the day it came out..and omfg, I loved it!! I LOVE Gambit!!!!!!!! He's always been my fave. I want to do very naughty things to him!!!! ;) And we just saw Star Trek tonight. It was really really good!!! I LOVE Zachary Quinto. I always feel bad for lusting after Sylar (on Heroes) after he kills a bunch of people, lol. But he looks good doing it, lol.

I'm also looking forward to seeing the next Harry Potter movie. Omg!! Does that one look good!!!!!!!! And Transformers!!! Ahhhh, I'm so excited for that one too. OoO and GI Joe too (Duke=drools)!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then later this year..New Moon will come out!!! :carrot: I cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shopaholic1204
05-10-2009, 03:37 AM
DH and i are hoping to see Star Trek, Harry Potter,and the other one i want to see is public enemies. i know not sci-fi/fantasy but it still looks good.

i did not know there is another transformers coming out. i think that might be added to the list as well.

Omg...I totally cannot wait for Public Enemies!! That one looks really good. Plus, Johnny Depp *sigh* he looks hot in the previews (but then he's always hot).

mayness
05-11-2009, 10:37 AM
I LOVE Zachary Quinto. I always feel bad for lusting after Sylar (on Heroes) after he kills a bunch of people, lol. But he looks good doing it, lol.

OMG yes.

I just saw Wolverine over the weekend, it was really good! There were only a few times where the CGI was really awful, lol, which is an accomplishment for that type of movie. :) I never read any of the comics, though, so take that for what it's worth.

We're waiting for a friend to come visit before we see Star Trek, which is killing me, heh.

I feel embarrassed admitting this, but I've never seen any of the Terminator movies. :o However, the new one looks pretty cool, definitely on my list for this summer.

Shannon in ATL
05-11-2009, 11:28 AM
I saw Star Trek on IMAX yesterday afternoon. Wow! Loved it! So, no spoilers for those who haven't seen it please, what did you guys who have seen it think? I'm seeing that hard core fans either love it or hate it, not much in the middle. Most love it I think. And, a lot of general sci fi fans, and people who like Trek but don't own their own Starfleet uniform ( :) I actually own two, but they don't fit anymore since I lost my weight...) seem to be loving it as well. The woman next to me yesterday has seen all the movies, but had to ask me if the tv series or the movies came first. She was as into the film as any hard core Trekkie (Trekker if you prefer) in the audience.

freshmanweightorbust
05-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Without spoilers, I would like to say that as a hard-core Trekker (sans uniform, I'm waiting til I'm thinner), I LOVED the Star Trek movie. I can see how a brittle Trekkie might not like it though, and to those I say: they left Spock dead at the end of The Wrath of Khan and then fixed it during the next movie. Let's give them time to set it all right during the next movie before we compare it to the rest of the franchise.

And Karl Urban is SOOOOOOOO HOTT with pointy sideburns and a combover :)

nelie
05-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I need to get another rainy day around here to go to the movies, possibly :) When its sunny or nice, the last thing I want to do is go to a movie theater but with the positive reviews of Star Trek are getting me intrigued. My husband is an X-men fan so he might like the Wolverine movie although he tends to like watching movies at home more.

alinnell
05-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Wolverine was really good, but in comparison to Star Trek, Star Trek rules! If you are a fan of the original series, you really should see this. It was hilarious (for those of us that are old enough to remember the original series) when they used some of the usual lines. Oh, everything about this movie was really, really good and I can't say more. And I'm not a Trekkie!

Shopaholic1204
05-11-2009, 04:11 PM
I feel embarrassed admitting this, but I've never seen any of the Terminator movies. :o However, the new one looks pretty cool, definitely on my list for this summer.

I've never seen them either. I thought about renting them...but I'm not sure. My hubby, whose seen them all, says I dont need to watch the movies to watch the new one.

kelly315
05-11-2009, 04:15 PM
I'm not afraid to admit that I'm a star trek fan, and I looooved the movie. I think it's pretty accessible to people who aren't familiar with the show/older movies, so I'm recommending it to everyone.

Joshua from eawc
05-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Growing up I was more into the Star Wars movies and never watched Star Trek. However, this movie was hands down one of the best movies this year. The graphics set a bar for future movies in my opinion. The acting was actually really well, and overall for being someone who hasn't seen one episode or movie of Star Trek I followed it smoothly and enjoyed every second of it. :)

mayness
05-11-2009, 04:34 PM
I've never seen them either. I thought about renting them...but I'm not sure. My hubby, whose seen them all, says I dont need to watch the movies to watch the new one.

That's the same thing mine said! In fact, he didn't like them much, so he recommends NOT watching them. But I don't want to sound like a moron when I talk to people about the new movie afterward. :p We'll see.

nelie
05-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Hmm this got me thinking. The last movie my husband and I saw in the theater was the last Indiana Jones movie. We were actually both disappointed because we LOVED the original 3 indy movies (ok not so much #2, but #1 and #3 are awesome). The latest one was in such a different style with the computer graphics that it just disappointed us. Is the Star Trek movie the same way?

willow650
05-11-2009, 04:44 PM
I saw Star Trek on Friday night, LOVED IT!!! I cried, I laughed, I laughed till I cried. GREAT GREAT GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shannon in ATL
05-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Nelie, this one is pretty different in graphics from the older movies, yes. Not as different IMO as the last Indiana Jones film was. It flowed in this film because it looked the way we would currently expect a starship to look, I think. :)

dixied
05-11-2009, 05:26 PM
OMG yes.

I just saw Wolverine over the weekend, it was really good! There were only a few times where the CGI was really awful, lol, which is an accomplishment for that type of movie. :) I never read any of the comics, though, so take that for what it's worth.

See, I'm afraid I will hate the movie because I'm a huge comic geek. The 8 boxes of comics (All X-Men and Wolverine) sitting in my closet are screaming "don't do it". I thought the first movies were good, but the disrespecting of canon makes me CRAZY. And I hear this one stomps all over it.

I've never seen any of the Terminator movies either. Although I'm tempted to watch at least the first one sometime because of Michael Biehn.

Shannon in ATL
05-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Dixie - I've heard that Wolverine stomps on canon as well. DH is a big comic book fan and he was okay with it, but I've had other friends who said that they had to check their expectations at the door and look at it as just another action movie. Personally, I liked it.

dixied
05-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Dixie - I've heard that Wolverine stomps on canon as well. DH is a big comic book fan and he was okay with it, but I've had other friends who said that they had to check their expectations at the door and look at it as just another action movie. Personally, I liked it.

I'll probably go see it anyway, I really like Hugh Jackman as Wolverine (although he's a foot too tall) and I adore Taylor Kitsch in Friday Night Lights and The Covenant, so I'll be willing to overlook any lapse in characterization of Gambit. Yeah, pretty could trump canon in some situations. ;)

Riverite
05-13-2009, 02:17 PM
dixied - That's who that actor is! This has been bothering me for days. We saw Wolverine this weekend, and I just couldn't figure out where I knew Gambit from. He was a cutie--I definitely could see him as the ladies man like Gambit.

There were quite a few liberties. I just try to remind myself that it is hard to condense the books into a film and take it for what it is worth. But, I know what you mean. The treatment of Rogue always bothers me--she is one of my favorites in the comic books because of the complexities of her relationships between the Brotherhood and X-Men. That and she is such a heavy hitter (and not the needy, helpless girl she is in the movies).

Anyway, I did enjoy the movie, liberties and all. It was a good, fast paced action movie.

Jo Kittibuck
05-13-2009, 04:15 PM
I'm a crazy Gambit fan, so I was concerned about how the movie would portray him. But overall, I was happy. Didn't look or precisely act like I was used to, but it was a good variation of him. Made him out to be a survivor, took the time to show off his agility, and he certainly got more screen time than I expected. And the Remy/Logan snarking... classic!