General chatter - Have You Ever Met a Famous Person ?

Sweetcaroline
05-05-2009, 07:12 PM
I don't know what got me thinking about this today... but I remember a few brushes with stardom in my life...

Long long time ago meeting Elizabeth Montgomery (Bewitched) in Salem MA while she was making a movie...

Sitting back to back with James Taylor in a pub on Nantucket Island.

Nearly bumped into Luciano Pavarotti dressed in his tux leaving the Four Seasons hotel in Boston before a performance.

Passing the table that JF Kennedy Jr. was sitting at, by himself having coffee, I turned around to go back for another look and a large man (security ?) got up, smiled and softly stepped in front of me, he said nothing, but I got the hint.

Shaking hands with John Henry (owner of Red Sox) in a hosptial waiting room, he gave an elderly man his red sox cap off of his head... and the guy cried..

what about you ??

JulieJ08
05-05-2009, 07:18 PM
The only celebrity I ever met was Pierce Brosnan. He spoke at a Christmas tree lighting for a medical center, and then greeted anyone who wanted to wait in line to meet him.

Clydegirl
05-05-2009, 08:02 PM
I met Meat Loaf, Seve Ballesteros, Christopher Reeve and when I was a teenager The Bay City Rollers. That was the highlight of my life. I was 14 years old :)

RealCdn
05-05-2009, 08:08 PM
When I was a teenager they used to hold a celebrity tennis tournament in our town (Wayne Gretzky). The hotel we had a pool membership was crawling with them, although few made that much of an impression. I spent a lot of time talking to guys that my father would then say 'do you know who that was' and I'd go... no. They were a combination of B list actors and A list sports stars.

Leeesa
05-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Sean and Robin Wright-Penn, shopping in the same store in Soho, would never have noticed them except for the paparazzi that appeared out nowhere snapping pics...

Delphi
05-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Living around Nashville, you tend to see more than your fair share of country music musicians, but the only celebrity I've actually met and shook hands with was Little Richard. He just happened to be eating in the same restaurant as us. I was in a group of kids from an independent living facility, so he took the time to come over and make our day. From what I remember he was quite funny! :)

nelie
05-05-2009, 09:52 PM
I'm not really a fan of meeting celebrities. I grew up in CA and I remember it wasn't uncommon for sitcom actors/actresses to sign autographs at malls and such. I'm not sure if that still happens but I remember once my mom wanted to stand in line to get autographs so we did. I can't remember who it was though.

When I went to college, 90210 was filmed there but I didn't watch it so couldn't tell you who was who. I think a movie was also filmed there while I went there. Also, I went to another school for summer school and I remember seeing Valerie Bertonelli filming a movie.

Also, when I was at Starbucks at an airport once, I noticed the person in front of me was from Young and the Restless. My parents used to watch it so I recognized her.

I think there was another instance but I can't quite remember. I'll have to think about it.

EZMONEY
05-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Being in construction I have worked on several of the Padres and Chargers houses, along with local TV news people. Have had a couple sports stars speek at our church and have met a few at fundraisers. Unless you are a Padres and Chargers fan it wouldn't mean much...and I am not...go Dodgers and Raiders!

nelie
05-05-2009, 10:17 PM
Oh sports, that reminds me. I can't remember who it was but I was waiting at a restaurant to eat with some coworkers. We were outside waiting for our table.

We see the question mark man (the infomercial guy) drive by in his car (its one of those cars that looks like a box and has question marks all over it. Then I see a couple really really tall guys walk by (7 ft tall). One of my coworkers says they were a couple of famous basketball players. I didn't know the names as I don't know basketball.

grabec
05-05-2009, 10:22 PM
OK you guys...........about two weeks ago I got to meet Travis Walton. Now, you say, who is that???? Remember the movie "Fire In The Sky" with DB Sweeney about the lumberman in Snowflake, Az who was abducted by the UFO and disappeared for 7 days? I got to meet him and got his autograph. I loved it. Always wanted to meet him.

shantroy
05-05-2009, 10:36 PM
I met halle berry, when she was in town filling one of the x-men movies. She was super nice. She came into the clothing store where I worked tried on just about everything and didn't buy a thing, but she took the time to hang everything back up and apologized for wasting my time. One of the x-men movies used a family friends house as set. Partied with vanilla ice last summer (got his number actually) though I was pretty drunk and don't really remember. I served Casey Afflect when he was in town filming that big brad pitt movie, Jesse James or whatever it was.

Brown Eyed Staccie
05-05-2009, 10:50 PM
I've met my fair share of celebrities being in the industry I am. I recently met Robert Pattinson from Twilight - yum is all I can say!!!!

Best celebrity I have ever met is Ozzy Osburne - he is so awesome.

Operator265
05-05-2009, 10:56 PM
I've met quite a few...

Plenty of NASCAR drivers *sigh*, The Beach Boys (we were on vacation and they were playing in the amusement park down the street), Meatloaf (my friend won tix and got backstage passes too), The Wiggles (my kiddos and I got backstage passes and during the concert 2 of their dancers and Anothony and Jeff came right up to us while singing to shake their hands) and Norah Jones and Amos Lee at a concert. Can't forget Kevin James either.

My sister worked as a nanny for these super rich folks near Houston. They flew her down to the Bahamas to pick up the kids once and she wound up sitting on the dock yapping with Dale Earnhardt, Sr. She actually told him that he hadn't been driving like he used to. The man had a broken collarbone and sternum from a recent "racing incident". "For Pete's Sake," I told her. "You don't tell a freakin' legend that he's getting old!!!":dz:

lizziep
05-06-2009, 01:55 AM
I met the dad from Wonder Years- I was about 11, and he winked at me. I was so freaking trilled. there were a few other celebs there, but i can't remember who any of them were. they were working on the clinton campaign and so was my mom.

phatcat
05-06-2009, 07:49 AM
I was a massage therapist for a few years. I gave a massage to Walter Abercrombie (former Steelers players) seems he tore a thigh muscle in the NFL and it was giving him trouble.
I haven't run into them yet, but Ted & Shamane Nugent shop in the same grocery store I do.

shelbysmom
05-06-2009, 08:04 AM
I got to meet Ben Jones AKA Cooter of Dukes of Hazzard at Cooter's Place in Gatlinberg TN..it was pretty cool....he was super nice and so is his wife..

Fressca
05-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Leslie Nielsen (actor, the Airplane movies) at a restaurant in Toronto. He was super nice and gave my step daughter his autograph.

Bruce Cockburn (singer, Wondering Where the Lions Are, Lovers in a Dangerous Time) at a shooting range north of Toronto. He was a *fantastic* shot.

Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver having lunch with their kids at The Four Seasons in Maui. Loads of security present!

LindaT
05-06-2009, 12:03 PM
I met " The Woz" , Steve Wozniak. When I was in college I worked at a bunch of different catering companies to supplement my puny college income. He had a Christmas party at his house and I got to work there. When he spoke to me, I was totally Geek struck! :D He is an icon around here. At the same party I met one of the 49ers, Keena Tuner and for those that have lived in the bay area and might remember, Carol Doda was also there. The perfect 36 in San Jose, if that rings a bell with any locals!

lauralyn
05-07-2009, 07:21 AM
I metKurt Busch, my favorite NASCAR driver a couple of years ago. I watched a filming when I was around 12 years old of a movie where Ricky or David Nelson was either in or directing. I was not that impressed obviously, considering I can't remember which one it was and what they were doing :dizzy:

Jen415
05-07-2009, 08:48 AM
I've never really "met" any celebrities, but one of my former jobs had me in close proximity of many musicians, commedians, actors, etc. Because of the type of work it was, I had to blend in like wallpaper. I can't say I witnessed and poor behavior by anyone I encountered. Some of them looked really strange close up. A lot of the older musicians that were out touring (like Gordon Lightfoot, Meat Loaf, Dan Fogelberg before he died) looked like the road hadn't been too kind to them! LOL

Thighs Be Gone
05-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Nick Stahl was one of my students when I was teaching. (He had already been in several films at the time and I have to say that Nick is one of the kindest souls I have ever met.) Mary Lou Retton went to the same school I did.

TJFitnessDiva
05-07-2009, 09:07 AM
Being in New Orleans & having a press pass for concerts (my fav perk for having a planetarium that had sponsored laser rock shows) I got to met a lot of celebrities. The most memorable for me was meeting the guys in Metallica, they were very nice and totally not what I expected :lol:

sws19
05-07-2009, 09:44 AM
hmm. when i was in la a couple years ago jason biggs (from american pie) bummed a cigarette off me. then we chatted for a bit about the east coast (he's from jersey).
in college i once hung out in jesse bradford's room. he was in bring it on. not sure bout anything else. also i met anna paquin cause she lived in my freshman year room two years after i did so i went back to "visit."
i used to work in music so through that social scene i have hung out with butch walker (mostly a music producer) and conor oberst (bright eyes). guess that's it. none of these people are super famous. more like quasi celebrities.
oh! i've met ross perot. heh. and during an internship in dc (almost 10 years ago exactly) i had a working group meeting with nancy pelosi and about 5 other people. it was held in her office. this was waaay before she was the political star she is now.

jessica1975
05-07-2009, 10:10 AM
My husband works for John Deere and Deere does a lot of sponsorships for concerts in our area. We've met several country artsists (those are the concerts we chose to go to). We had dinner with Alan Jackson and Sara Evans, we've spent time with Alison Krauss and Union Station, and Kitty Wells (and Johnny Wright)(old country) are my husband's aunt and uncle.
While we were vacationing in Hawaii in the Spring of '08, Montgomery Gentry was in the same hotel as we were and we chatted with them for a couple of hours while we were all in the pool and in Hawaii we also met David Beckham (he was drinking orange juice in our hotel lobby). My parents are friends with a man named Dave, they met him several years back while horseback riding one week in northern Florida and as they started becoming better friends and spending more time together they found that he was close friends with Tom Selleck and my parents have since ridden with TS on several occasions. It's quite strange to pick up my dad's cell phone and see Tom's number stored in there! lol

Kim_Star060404
05-07-2009, 10:42 AM
I used to work in an upscale men's clothing store in San Antonio and had quite a few celebs shop there.

Tommy Lee Jones only wore, at that time, Johnston & Murphy shoes, so he would come in about once a month when he was in town. I've heard he's a jerk to people, but he was always super-nice, but maybe that was the drinks we served while he shopped. I also helped most of the San Antonio Spurs as we had the best big & tall section in town. David Robinson, Sean Elliot, Tim Duncan, Steve Kerr. Max Lucado was a frequent shopper as well.

DH was in a band and we got to party with a bunch of Texas Country legends; Willie Nelson, Gary P. Nunn, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Highspeed Hayride and etc.

There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men were both partially filmed in our county and DH and I ended up eating at restaurants within feet of the cast. I never saw either, so I don't know who was who.

sweetandspicy
05-07-2009, 10:47 AM
When I was 18 years old I met Emmit Smith and David Justice at an Atlanta Braves game it was a surreal moment especially since I did not know who they were.

When I was in college my suitemate was dating and is not married to Peyton Manning. I also had a class with Peyton Manning.

When i was 20 years old i went to New york and was selected to play a game on the David Letterman show and met Dave Letterman, Chris Farley and the Gin Blossoms.

jajabee
05-07-2009, 11:00 AM
When I had an internship at Apple, my office was directly beneath Steve Jobs', so I'd see him around the elevators a lot. One day we ended up walking out to the parking lot together, and he actually struck up a conversation about how nice the weather was!! :D I wish I'd said something cool, but no, all I could come up with was, "Yep, sure is!" and walked off. Sigh. :P

Shopaholic1204
05-07-2009, 01:59 PM
I met KJ who used to play for the Phx Suns. I even got his autograph!!! This was like way back in the day.

And later this year, I will meet some of the guys (and girl) from Twilight, at the Twilight convention in NJ!!!

LittleMoonRabbit
05-07-2009, 02:22 PM
I have seen a few famous people, but the only one I have ever had a conversation with is Aaron Lewis from Staind. He's a sweetheart.

mandalinn82
05-07-2009, 02:34 PM
See, I had an entirely different Metallica experience. James Hetfield lives in my hometown. I was behind him in line at a Baskin Robbins, where he was very, very rude to the cashier, and even pulled the "Do you know who I am" card to move to the front of the line. The whole thing really left a horrible taste in my mouth.

I've met Robin Williams (also pretty local to where I grew up).

My father in law is the one with the real stories. He does high end residential real estate and has worked on projects with a ton of people. Luckily, he's not easily starstruck, as it would be unprofessional to fall all over himself with the really famous ones (though he tells us about these people and we DO fall all over ourselves...)

The other people I've met are more specialized...Broadway fans might recognize Jim Poulos (Rent, Big River, other musicals)...Bobby McFerrin (jazz singer).

LandonsBaby
05-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Nope, never met a celebrity.

Lovely91
05-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Akon at a private party on a private island which I was staying on for a week or so!
Shakira at an after party too
Met alot of models at Fashion T.v Parties
Must admit I love partying!!

SBD Sass
05-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Jay-Z...Vegas 2001 @ the Bellagio. He's really really really skinny and tall in person. Poor thing was wearing three t-shirts. :p

GirlyGirl
05-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Working in NYC, I've met my fair share of celebs....Jon Stewart, Liv Tyler, Slick Rick, Kam'ron, Kathie Lee Gifford, Anna Sui, Thom Felicia, Angie Everhart, Ashanti, the actors from The Odd Couple, Jerry Springer, some guy from Baywatch, Drew Lachey, and assorted people from reality shows like Real World, etc.

craftykath
05-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Does a president count? I've met George Bush, Sr. twice. The second time I was older, so he just shook my hand. The first time I was in the fifth grade and he gave me a big hug.

Chele615
05-08-2009, 06:26 AM
Tom Brokaw - He spoke at a thing near my college when his book about the forgotten generation came out and the hotel asked the Student Services guy for volunteers to hand out programs and take tickets. We were picked. It was really interesting!

Megan Mullally and Debra Messing - We were in NYC the night that Eric McCormack was opening his run with The Music Man. We were able to get cheap tickets to go see it and when we went to pick up our tickets, they were both there to pick up their tickets. They were both so nice.

Anne Curry - We went to the Today Show that same time as The Music Man and she was awesome!!!! She came over to us because we had a sign about graduating college later on that week and spent a good amount of time at the end of the show talking to all of us.

Tons of figure skaters - Most of the ones I've met, most people have probably never heard of, but some of the more famous ones would probably be Kristi Yamaguchi, Tara Lipinksi, Kurt Browning, and Scott Hamilton.

Anthony Rapp - (The original Mark on Broadway from RENT) We were at some Programming Board convention in college and he was there. we were talking to him and it wasn't until halfway through the conversation that it clicked how I knew him...haha.

Bobby Orr - He was at a charity golf tournament that my friend and I went to. My dad had said before we left that if I came home without Bobby Orr's autograph, I wasn't going to be let back in the house. I told Bobby Orr that when I asked for an autograph and he laughed and said that he didn't want to be responsible for me being homeless. LOL

Derek Lowe - Red Sox pitcher a couple years back. He was a jerk though...haha

steph324
05-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Met Tom Arnold and Johnathan Silverman at a club several years ago. Through horses I have met Eartha Kitt, William Shatner, and Carson Cressley (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). I met Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen at a restaurant. The Rock (Dwayne Johnson) used to work as a personal trainer at a local gym where my best friend worked, so we hung out with him pretty frequently.

Shannon in ATL
05-08-2009, 11:03 AM
I got stuck on an elevator with one of the older Dr. Who actors. Didn't watch the show, so didn't know who he was.

Brent Spiner, when I was leading a backstage tour at the theater where the ST:TNG cast was putting on "Every Good Boy Deserves Favor".

Made John Smoltz wait at the drive through window while I checked his $100 bill he paid with a counterfeit bill pen. Didn't recognize him.

Wouldn't take a $4 check from Chipper Jones when he came through the same restaurant, told him we had a lot of trouble with checks bouncing, suggested he just take the meal and bring me back the $4 on his next visit instead. He snickered a little and assured me his check was good, but understood my position. Brought me back the cash later in the day. Didn't recognize him either.

Several Falcons players I don't know the names of even now.

nelie
05-08-2009, 12:00 PM
My father in law is the one with the real stories. He does high end residential real estate and has worked on projects with a ton of people. Luckily, he's not easily starstruck, as it would be unprofessional to fall all over himself with the really famous ones (though he tells us about these people and we DO fall all over ourselves...)

I'm not sure there is anyone who would leave me starstruck. I think celebrities are kind of like Costco samples, best to leave alone and let other people fight for them :)

alinnell
05-08-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm not sure there is anyone who would leave me starstruck. I think celebrities are kind of like Costco samples, best to leave alone and let other people fight for them :)

Oh, that made me laugh!!!

Not to hijack the thread, but why on earth do they have to set up the sample tables where they'll ALWAYS cause a traffic jam?

Celebrities? I can't say I've MET any, but we sure see plenty here.

mandalinn82
05-08-2009, 12:22 PM
The only time I got REALLY starstruck was for a celebrity chef...I'm very Food Network motivated.

midwife
05-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Who was it Amanda?

I met Junior Seau and Luc Longley....and I'm not a huge sports' fan.

One of my patients met Christian Bale once....does that count for anything? :) Of course I am less impressed with him after his tirade.

mandalinn82
05-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Morimoto, from Iron Chef. I didn't even meet him, just heard about FIL possibly meeting him, and I squealed like a girl.

Come on! He's an IRON CHEF! He's probably BFFs with Mario Batali and Cat Cora.

midwife
05-08-2009, 03:02 PM
I love Morimoto, too! Definitely squeal-worthy!

nelie
05-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Oh Junior, I've met him but before he was a Charger. We grew up in the same neighborhood, although he is 6 years older than me (he was in the same classes as my aunts that are 6 years older)

Lori259
05-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Have You Ever Met a Famous Person ?

JON BON JOVI~ONLY in my dreams ~LOL~

Although I remember when I was a kid "in reality" I did meet boxcar willy ~hahahaha~He was kinda a cool guy~Looked like a bum and I think he played harmonica. Can't quite remember what he did for sure.~But he was famous when I was young and his style was meant to look bummy Like a boxcar guy. I guess.

EZMONEY
05-09-2009, 09:32 PM

I met Junior Seau

Oh Junior, I've met him but before he was a Charger. We grew up in the same neighborhood, although he is 6 years older than me (he was in the same classes as my aunts that are 6 years older)

Nelie and I grew up near each other. Two of Junior's sons went to our church school, one was a buddy of my nephew's for a while.

VermontMom
05-09-2009, 11:01 PM
I served Susan Sarandon when she was in this area, filming a movie. That wasn't really 'meeting' her though. Her daughter Eva was little, maybe 3?

I danced with Ben and Jerry and partied in Ben's house :D (my husband worked for the company when they were still relatively small)

the band Phish, we got backstage passes and they let us hang out as long as we wanted (it was an outdoor event {The Great Went}) and 'backstage' they had their own bouncy house and other fun stuff :carrot: )

JJ, from Good Times (if you're over 40 you know who that is, lol) in Philly

Oh! the Marshall Tucker Band! Their tour bus was parked outside the little shopping center where the laundromat is, and i was doing bedspreads or something. I got all their autographs (yes, they were doing their laundry!) except for the drummer, he was busy folding and didn't look like he wanted to be interrupted :D

EZMONEY
05-09-2009, 11:28 PM
A little Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia and some Marshall Tucker Band....sa-weet!

aphil
05-12-2009, 07:26 AM
Because I do costume making/designing and am a member of The 501st, I have met MANY of the celebrities from the 6 Star Wars series of films. I have often attended private parties, etc. and we have all drank and hung out together and had a great time. There's nothing like drinking with a bunch of Jedi and Aliens...*laughing* I would have to sit and count (it would take a while) so I'm not going to list all of them-but a wide variety of actors and actresses from all of those films.

I have also met not so much "celebrities" due to that-but people who work with Jim Henson, Pixar, Lucasfilm, and so on-once again, due to being in The 501st and doing costuming work.

Belly dance has also given me some really fun opportunities to meet folks as well. I have danced for politicians, and some actors as well. Here recently I danced for Sammy Terry, who was the long time host of a late night horror movie program on television in the midwest (much like Elvira...). I have also danced for Warwick Davis, the little person who has appeared in films such as Willow, Star Wars, Harry Potter, the Leprachaun horror films, etc.

I have also met and learned from many FAMOUS belly dancers, such as Carolena of Fat Chance Belly Dance, Dalia Carella of NYC, and many, many others.

starfishkitty
05-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Hmmm. This is a good one.

My dad used to work for a company here in Chicago that would send him to music venues in the area to basically be a roadie/band assistant for the night/week/etc, so whenever he'd have a longer gig and get to know the band or singer he'd sometimes bring me and my brother along for free front row seating or backstage whatever.

I met Brett Michaels that way, who was uber nice by the way, and all the guys from Poison, and the band Ratt, Rammstein, had dinner with Pantera, and I think a few more besides that that I just can't dreg up right now. Aside from that, I've had Shania Twains delicates in my washing machine (don't ask) and Ricky Martain, Kid Rock, and Marilyn Manson (and his gf at the time, Alyssa something or other.. you know, the band geek chick from American Pie) in our family van.

My favorite, though, was when my dad and I followed Aerosmith to California back in the late 90's and went to several gigs. I was the biggest Aerosmith nerd back then, and totally died when I got to hang out back stage with them at a Meet N Greet.... Steven Tyler signed my 15 year old back and I went home to Chicago and got it tattooed.... and here it sits... 11 years later. :cloud9:

trekkiegirl
05-12-2009, 07:23 PM
I met a number of the Guiding Light cast when I went to their 2004 fan event. My first and last time, lol.

Met Leonard Nimoy and John deLancie at a signing for Alien Voices. My picture with them sits above my computer. :D

Didn't meet/talk to but have passed by Yoko Ono, John Ritter, James Horan (another soap actor), Mario Perillo (of Perillo Tours). I saw Clarence Williams III (from The Mod Squad) at the next table at BB King's club at an Air Supply concert. :p

jenjen
05-13-2009, 06:30 PM
I met Jay Mohr before he was really famous. He used to do stand-up on college campuses. I worked in our Student Activities office and helped with setting up his show. A few of my friends & I hung out with him most of the night after his show at IHOP.

I was also on a flight with BB King a few years ago---who knew he flew Southwest! Really nice man.

SillyGirl
05-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Well he isn't too famous... At least there's a good chance that none of you reading this will know who he is, but I went to an anime convention last weekend and got to hug one of my favorite voice actors ever, Vic Mignogna.
So, basically, my dream came true.

Leeesa
05-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Well, last night I got a peck on the cheek from Mick Fleetwood... that may be a bit obscure, he's the drummer from Fleetwood Mac, we had all access passes and did a "meet and greet" with him. Very nice man, soft-spoken, very grandpa-like, lol.

MissVitality
05-17-2009, 06:25 PM
I met a lot of celebrities through a previous job but as most are UK-based only, you will probably have never heard of them.

Some of them you might know - Sean Connery, Billy Connolly, Rod Stewart, Noel Gallagher from Oasis, Shane and Nicky from Irish band Westlife.

kellygram
05-17-2009, 11:44 PM
I'm an ex-stewardess. Never met but served:
Shirley McClain, James Earl Jones, Rob Lowe, Martin Sheen, Tony Danza, Gary Busey, Debbie Reynolds. A few others but can't recall now. 12 years of serving drinks @ 35,000 feet does stuff to your brain :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Primm
05-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Quite a few over the years. I used to hang out at Naughtons pub in Melbourne in my teen years, where a band called the Cockroaches used to play. Many a night my girlfriends and I would end up playing drinking games with the boys. They later realised there was more money in kids songs that being a mediocre pub band, and went on to reinvent themselves as the Wiggles...

I was on holidays in the UK in March and had my only celebrity tongue-tied encounter. I was at the National Motor Museum waiting for the doors to open and chatting to the manager. He mentioned that they had a celebrity there for a photo shoot. I was suitably unimpressed and imagining a B-grade British soap actor whom I had never heard of, but no...

It was Nick Mason! Celebrity car collector and former drummer of Pink Floyd. We're talking uber-celebrity here. We had a little chat and I had my photo taken with him, otherwise no-one would have believed me. He's shorter than I expected.