Weight Loss Support - What yummy in season produce do you have in your fridge?

nicoledg
05-04-2009, 06:44 PM
I love when it starts to get nice out!! Mainly I love all the yummy seasonal produce that is so available and cheap right now! In my fridge there is

strawberries
blueberries
raspberries
pineapple
corn on the cob

I never thought I'd be excited about fruits and veggies! lol

beerab
05-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Haha I have almost the same things! I live in CA so everything is in season though..

Strawberries
Squash
Zucchini
cauliflower
oranges
apples
celery
romaine lettuce
white corn

That's all I can think of for right now...

sprklemajik
05-04-2009, 07:35 PM
asparagus :)

NorCal Jen
05-04-2009, 07:38 PM
I've got a huge fruit salad with watermelon, strawberries, grapes, and cantaloupe and I also have:

artichokes
asparagus - huge!!
broccoli
jicama
cucumbers
and misc. lettuce, etc.

nicoledg
05-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Jicama? what is it and how do you cook it?

Thighs Be Gone
05-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Yum jicama..i eat droves of it..

Peel it and eat it raw! It is pronounced Hickamah if you go to buy it.

yoyoma
05-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Living in the northeast US, nothing local is in season yet :( .

NorCal Jen
05-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Yum jicama..i eat droves of it..

Peel it and eat it raw! It is pronounced Hickamah if you go to buy it.

Yeah, I always have a bucket of it in my fridge all peeled, cut up and ready to go. A little lime juice and chili powder makes it even yummier! :D

stillclock
05-04-2009, 08:05 PM
things are greening up, but there's nothing local yet, except maybe fiddle heads. but even those would be early.

isolde, ontarian

mayness
05-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Asparagus is almost here... or maybe it is by now... I'm going to the farmer's market this weekend for sure!

I bought some strawberries yesterday that are from California. I HATE buying produce from so far away, but they looked sooo good and were on sale. That's my dessert tonight. :)

ICUwishing
05-05-2009, 10:03 AM
We've had two meals with fresh garden asparagus so far. Snow peas are climbing the trellis, radishes are up, and should be able to make the first cutting on the lettuce this weekend. mmmm! But nothing, oh NOTHING, compares to that first fresh tomato of the year ... :drool:

bargoo
05-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Strawberries! In fact I am going to mske a protein shake in a few minutes including fresh strawberries.!

EZMONEY
05-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Angie and I shopped at our produce market on Sunday before church, picking up...

Strawberries & blueberries

Watermelon & cantaloupe

Jicama

Asparagus

Avocado

Tomatoes and lettuce

Cilantro

Apples

now, if she can just get me to "balance" my diet....

sws19
05-05-2009, 10:27 AM
i'm not sure what's in season around these parts yet. haven't been to my farmer's market in ages.maybe this weekend if the weather's nice.
but produce in the fridge includes:
broccoli rabe
brussel sprouts
romaine lettuce
broccoli
cauliflower
apples
celery

really need to get on this stuff before it all goes bad. it's already been there for over a week.

Lori Bell
05-05-2009, 10:58 AM
The only thing in season here is:

Morel mushrooms, (have a ton of them in the fridge)
Asparagus in the garden needing to be cut again.
Spinach and spring lettuce in the garden needing to be picked again.
Winter onions in the garden needing to be pulled.

I've been spending hours hiking for mushrooms that I have neglected my garden. Better get out there. We had an awesome spinich salad for supper Sunday...YUMMM, but had to buy strawberries from CA and the Oranges from TX.

ICUwishing
05-05-2009, 12:07 PM
We're going on a guided morel mushroom hunt this weekend - it might be a week too soon. No matter what, though - we're going to know what to look for, and then ... woohoo! Rumor has it that there's some very good hunting close to where we live. Of course, we're going to have to find them ourselves, cuz no one's going to give up the location of these prize delectables!

Peep Smith
05-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Raspberries! Blueberries! I'm in heaven!

Lori Bell
05-05-2009, 01:36 PM
We're going on a guided morel mushroom hunt this weekend - it might be a week too soon. No matter what, though - we're going to know what to look for, and then ... woohoo! Rumor has it that there's some very good hunting close to where we live. Of course, we're going to have to find them ourselves, cuz no one's going to give up the location of these prize delectables!

AWESOME! Here is a link to a CRAZY message board for your area. Some people are very serious, some are not, but you can get an idea of what is going on in your state. HAVE FUN!!

http://www.morels.com/southernmichigan/

WhitePicketFences
05-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Asparagus (how long is all this great asparagus going to last, I wonder?)
Strawberries (actually got started a little early on the strawberries)
Radishes

Need tomatoes ...

Have already had avocados this season, and they were good. I love May for the avocados! Seriously might be my favorite food. Last time the husband and I had avocado sandwiches, I adapted to lower cals by spreading just one piece of bread with laughing cow swiss cheese and topping with sliced avocado & tomato.

I also have various things that aren't of this season, of course ... even though I have been trying to eat more local and in-season. I just really like cauliflower, brussel sprouts, blueberries, apples and I am still finding acceptable winter citrus (got attached to my oranges and grapefruits in the a.m.). The blueberries, though, will get real good mid-summer.

murphmitch
05-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Asparagus on the grill with olive oil and a little salt. It's heaven! Went to our first Farmer's Market here last weekend. Got tomatoes, asparagus, cauliflower and peppers. The asparagus was the only local stuff though. I cooked mushrooms, onions and zucchini on the grill too!

Tracy
05-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Fresh pineapple is the best!:T

mrsaugie
05-05-2009, 07:32 PM
me i like strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, corn on the cob, snap peas (pod and all) cantelope, watermelon, that is it for now i am sure i will be back with more.