Weight and Resistance Training - Muscle Swelling?

View Full Version : Muscle Swelling?

jacilu
05-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Is it true that after you lift weights or do an intense workout where you really push yourself, that you might weigh a bit more the next day due to your muscles swelling? I put on 3 pounds overnight and I'm bummed! My workout was intense yesterday, but I ate very well and even went to bed with hunger pains! Only to wake up to a weight gain. :(

Mel
05-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Yes, it is true. If you did an intense workout, your muscles need to retain water to repair themselves. I can easily gain 3 pounds the day after a heavy leg workout if I change up the exercises or increase the usual intensity. But don't despair! It's water and it will go away :) Just keep hydrating, eating well, and know that it's because you are getting stronger due to muscle repair.

Mel

jamsk8r
05-04-2009, 01:41 AM
What Mel said! :hug: Totally normal, and totally temporary. That's how I know I've had a really good workout. :)

yoyoma
05-04-2009, 04:52 AM
Yes, it's absolutely true. I am up 2 lbs today after a good workout yesterday (and perfect eating). It's one of the goofy annoyances of the weight loss journey that one's "reward" for a good workout is a blip up on the scale!

jacilu
05-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Good to know. I'm on another forum and noone there thought it was true. It's discouraging to workout, eat right and still put on weight! So this is a relief. Thanks for the responses. :)

Lizzyg
05-04-2009, 07:01 PM
I'm so glad to read that I'm not the only one this happens to. One week, which also happened to be my period week, I gained about 6 lbs, over night, after a hard weight workout.

LandonsBaby
05-05-2009, 03:55 PM
I never weigh myself the day after I've been doing weights. It messes with my head. :dizzy:

JulieJ08
05-05-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm not even working out very hard, just picking it up after being ... sporadic (being generous with myself here :o ) - I'm a little sore but not terrible, and the scale is up. I'd rather it weren't, but mostly the way I feel is affected by the choices I'm making more than the scale. So I feel great that I'm doing better even if the scale is up. Conversely, the scale was actually going down (albeit very slowly) while I wasn't exercising or eating as healthy as I should - and I couldn't feel very good about it.

Platinum
05-05-2009, 07:20 PM
this is good to know... I did my 1st major workout on Sunday in about 4 months and then decided to start my 1st official weigh in (this time around) on Monday. And I was up 2-3lbs more than I though I would be. I hadn't weighed myself in a couple weeks, and was shocked I had gained almost 3lbs in that time. It did help me resolve to stick to it cuz I don't ever wanna see a number high like that again. But I've also decided to take measurements every 2 weeks, to track my progress and not rely on the scale this time around anymore.