Alternachicks - May Alternachicks - come out, come out wherever you are!

PinkyPie
05-03-2009, 12:24 PM
:carrot: Hey Alternachicks! :carrot:

we're 3 days into May! Where are all the Alternachicks? Let's make May the month that we really come together and support each other!

What is ONE goal you have for this month? How will you achieve it?

My one goal is that I continue kicking up my fitness a bit. Of course I want to lose weight, but I want to focus a bit on the physical stuff as well. I started my bellydancing classes, I'm doing in-home exercise DVD's, I'll be cycling to and from the station and I'd like to work up into more jogging than what I've acheived so far. So, by the end of May I will:

have done my exercise DVD 8 times
I will have cycled to the station at least 8 times
have done my walk/jog at least 8 times
and my bellydancing is a given at 1 time per week

Hold me to it chicks!!

bopeep
05-03-2009, 09:30 PM
I have been outside in the beautiful weather - it has been such a fantastic spring here so far that I have been profiting from every minute I could! :D It's serious garden time here, and my finger nails are toast!!

How do you like your belly dance classes Velveteen? Are you learning a classical Egyptian style, or more of a fusion sort of style?

I have two goals for May:

To no longer be fat, and to learn a dance choreoagraphy well enough to dance in a show.

The first goal is almost in reach - in 6 more pounds, I will have a BMI that puts me into the 'normal' weight category. It is such a huge milestone that I'm almost afraid to try for it, but it is also so close...

The second goal is actualy the harder one and the one I am least sure of achieving. My teacher's dance troupe has taken me on as a junior dancer - apparently she invites some of her students do this if she feels they have some potential, and if in a couple of years, they are good enough, they are allowed to join the core troupe. So I'm learning the choreographies while I am improving my technique. In two weeks, there is a student show being put on by a fairly famous older Egyptian dancer, and my teacher's troupe has been invited to do a couple of dances. *IF* I can learn the choreography well enough (easy part), and *IF* I can polish up my shoulder shimmies enough (hard part), I can do one of the dances with the troupe.

So I'm going to work really hard at achieving the second goal, and hopefully, those 9 hours of classes a week will put a big dent in the first goal! :lol:

BP

nellibabyy
05-03-2009, 11:12 PM
WHERE IS EVERYBODY? There isn't even an exercise accountability thread yet! Well, We can make this one. At least for me!

I really want to lose 15 pounds before my graduation. This is quite a bit, considering it is on June 5, but I want to get as close as I can. I know I can do it!

And i worked out today, but only 30 minutes. Time to get my butt back into gear!

Bellydancing is so much fun! I took lessons for a while, and loved it. I also took ballet for 8 years, then my teacher told me I was too fat to do it anymore. I was 12. So I quit. I used to be good at it.

But anyways, thanks for being here ladies! I need someone to make sure I'm working toward my goal. Talk to you tomorrow!

:] Nelli

lizziep
05-04-2009, 03:05 AM
i got 30 minutes in and hope to be back on track. i don't know what happened to April- but I certainly seem to have missed it!

my goal is to keep working out, i'd like to aim for a minimum of 5 days a week if not every day.
i also need to work really hard at staying out of the vending machine at work, and out of the candy jar!! i have a friend on watch for me- to yell at me any time i reach for it. so far, so good.
i'd really like to lose at least 5 lbs for the month. i was hoping to be much further along but i keep going on binges and gaining the weight back. :C
so here's to a weight-losing, exercising, binge-free MAY!! :D

also- i hit the bike for 30 today.

nellibabyy
05-04-2009, 09:42 PM
i pushed myself in a super intense workout this morning. I am hurting something terrible now, but I feel good about it! I was running at a 10.0 on my treadmill, which is awesome for me! I was happy.

Down one pound already!

60 min. exercise today.

:]Nelli

Sunrose
05-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Hi Everyone!!!

I'm here, I'm here. I'm glad you are all here, too!!! I agree with Velveteen that May should be our month to come out and support each other! I know I really need it, and I'll bet many others do as well.

I fell off the wagon in March, and then in April I got my act back together and lost what I had gained, plus a few more! My goal for May is to get out of the 220's and into the teens!!! I know I can do it, but sometimes losing just a few pounds seems impossible. I don't know why. :( I am feeling frustrated, but I know it's in my control. It just doesn't feel that way right now. But, I've been eating well, and I just need to step up my exercise.

Hope to hear from you all soon! :)

mauvaisroux
05-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Bonjour les filles! Hello ladies!

Hope you are all doing well. :)

I'm still plugging along at getting into shape. Still doing yoga, dance class and wiifit. I am trying to talk DH into going to Latin dance classes (salsa, merengue, tango etc.). We are hoping to go to Cuba next year and I want to be able to dance when I get there. I have agreed to help him with his Spanish so he owes me! ;)

Meanwhile I am still painting and trying to get the house in shape by the end of May so I can spend the summer outdoors.

Here's to getting in shape for the summer! :lifter::running:

PinkyPie
05-05-2009, 12:22 AM
hi chicks! we're already moving and grooving - fantastic!!

I have a few challenges this month (going to Poland for a concert in a couple of weeks, for one) but I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing and be uber-accountable to myself.

I just started the C25K, but had already been doing something similar, just not structured. Now I'm officially doing it and hubby is in too so that's cool.

let's keep in touch and do this thang!!!

bopeep
05-05-2009, 09:29 AM
I have a cold and had to go to the doc to get a prescription for some serious steroids because my asthma is triggered by colds. Hopefully I won't need them, but I do need to have them on hand, just in case...

My doc hasn't seen me in 10 months, so when I walked into her office, her jaw dropped - she immediately had me hop on her scale. I am down two more pounds from last week. 168!! She had a bit of a surprise for me though - my high weight, as of two years ago, was actually 210 pounds! I must have blanked that number out of my memory! I didn't have a scale back then, so I guess it was never driven home.

On the one hand, it means I have lost more weight than I thought (yay!), but on the other, it means I was fatter than I thought (serious bruise to my vanity! :lol:!).

mauvaisroux - if you ever manage to drag your DH to dance class, let me know what arguement worked! I'd love to go with mine, but every time I hint at it he says it's not his thing (I think he's too shy).

Spooky
05-05-2009, 10:15 AM
I'd like to join your group! I've been lurking around 3FC for awhile and haven't really found a group I fit in with yet.

I started a 12 week body for life program yesterday (Monday). My goal for this month is to follow this program, which includes working out intensely 6 days per week and eating 5-6 balanced meals 6 days a week (with one free day, for me that's Sunday, no exercise and eat whatever).

I'm hesitant to set a number goal but I'd like to be firmly into the 2-teens by the time the end of the month rolls around. I'm considering buying some calipers so maybe I can have some goals that involve BF% as well.

To recap, my May goals are:
1. To workout according to my schedule and not miss any days
2. To eat well, even when I'm working. This means packing my food and eating every few hours even if it's inconvenient. No food from the officer's dining room (yummy and free but not at all good for you!).
3. Continue to drink a minimum of 80 oz of water a day.
4. To resist the scale obsession and attempt to weigh myself just once per week.

That's enough for now! I hope it's ok that I crashed your thread. :D

M Dizzle
05-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Tracking, tracking, tracking.....that is my major goal for May.....So far, so great!!

bopeep
05-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Hi Spooky! Congrats on starting a program! You've come a long way already :carrot:

BP

Spooky
05-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Aww, thanks, BP!

I'm so excited to start this challenge, work hard, and hopefully see some good results!

And congratulations on rocking your doctor's socks! I'm hoping to do the same thing the next time I see my GYN.

bopeep
05-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Sigh. DH is so not the handyman type. The guy is a genuis - really! He's got two degrees in physics - his specialiaty was theoretial high energy particle physics. Seriously mind bendingly impossible stuff. But can he help me put a shelf up? NO! :frypan:

We bought a new fridge (from a store called Elvis! :rofl:), and when the guys were putting it into place, they knocked off a shelf I had put up. No big deal - I'll just put it back up and make sure it's properly attached this time. I needed to drill some pilot holes and I had to have DH hold the shelf in place while I did this. I showed him how I wanted him to hold it, got into place (space was kinda cramped, and I had to be under the shelf to do the drilling) put the shelf roughly where I wanted it, and told DH to hold it properly. I ASSUMED he was holding it as I had shown him, but when I drilled the holes and screwed the shelf into place, it was clear he had not held it anything like I had demonstrated. DH said he held it where I put it when I handed it to him. UM. Dude. That's why I showed you how to hold it first. When I am underneath the shelf, at a crooked angle, I cannot SEE the shelf's placement.

So I go unscrew the screws, show him AGAIN how I want him to hold the shelf, get back in my cramped position and we try again. But before I drill more holes I quickly reach around and feel the corner of the shelf to make SURE it is where I want it to be. Good thing, because DH had the shelf off by more than an inch. OK MR. rocket scientist - what is so hard about holding the shelf where I showed you!!!!! Meanwhile, he's grumping about how long this is taking, and I'm trying to supress the urge to drill a few holes into his feet... :censored:

He got it right on try #3, so I got my shelf up properly, made myself some tea and am now calm and happy. I have a new fridge that won't freeze my veggies and yet melts ice cream (wait - I don't buy that anymore...).

DH is great, usually - he washes dishes, sweeps and vaccuums without being asked, irons his own shirts even! But handyman stuff? Nuh-uh. He does not know one end of a hammer from another! :dizzy:

BP

Robot
05-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Wow, bopeep. Don't feel bad though, my brother is getting a degree in chemistry, yet has no common sense whatsoever.

jandaman
05-08-2009, 03:30 PM
hey chicas! i also hope to become more of a regular feature this month--been really busy incorporating 2 hour physio routine into daily schedule.
anywayyyys- here's hopin i kin reconnect with old buddies and get to know the rest of ya'll!
which probably means getting into personals....i will try that soon
till then
toodle pip and blessed be
janet

PinkyPie
05-09-2009, 05:56 AM
Happy Saturday! Have had no real time to catch up this week. Went to WW and lost 100gr... :lol: but since I'm tracking everything this was no surprise to me at all... I simply had too many points last week to really make a change, despite the exercise. This week WILL be different though... on my home scale I'm already down 1KG since Tuesday morning. However the only real number that counts is the one on the WW scale at this point in time.

lots of exercise though, I feel good about that, and I made it through Week 1 of C25K. Now to get off my arse and go get some proper running shoes!

lizziep
05-10-2009, 02:59 PM
haven't been doing so good. going to try a sort of cleansing, mostly vegetarian week to jump start me back on track and hopefully make me feel a little better. i have everything all planned out- hopefully i'll make it through.
i only have one day off this week, but my schedule is changing to something i like a bit better.
here's to change.

bopeep
05-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Wanted: :sunny:

If anyone has seen the sun, please send it over my way.

BP

bobblefrog
05-11-2009, 10:46 PM
Jumping in a little late - I'd been watching the new posts but missed this. I am rolling laughing at BP's description of her DH's lack of handyman skills. Glad the incident didn't end in bloodshed!

So, goals - well last month I took control of my diet - this month adding in the exercise. Doing the exercise room three times a week. Thought that was going to be my challenge for the month (you know, let it become a habit) but I think I need to go ahead and get part three in now - stress relief! So alarm clock is set to start getting up an hour early to start getting in some pranic breathing and meditation. I'm exhausted just thinking about it :rofl:

lizziep
05-12-2009, 03:25 AM
day one of cleanse complete and feeling good- i worked out for 30 minutes too. first time in a long time that i didn't have any real stomach problems - we'll see if this lasts. i might never go back to meat again.
lets see if i can make it through day two!

Tayja
05-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Yeaa! I'm here!

I want to start with that handy man story had me rolling! So Funny!

Now for the month of May... Wow... Umm...

Ok the first week of the month was really bad for me, really really bad...

but week two has started off great! Got to the gym yesterday - had a great work out.

My May goals...

get to the gym 3 times a week each week!
do my strength training at home at least 4 times a week
water water water water water
lose 5lbs!

I think i can do it! I Know I can do it! I will do it!

bobblefrog
05-13-2009, 11:06 AM
lizzie - how is the cleanse going? what does it involve (or did I miss that further up the thread?)

tayja - woot woot - I'm with you on the gym three times a week (although mine is an "exercise room" at our apt complex).

But I guess it will do. EXCEPT YESTERDAY - eegads the idiocracy team was in there. Two kids with bandannas on their head that thought they were billybadda**es. Had insiped music playing too loud to think and these juniors had no idea what they were doing. BANGING WEIGHTS and heaving them around with absolutely no FORM or FINESSE. I haven't been lifting weights that long now, but even this frumpy chick knows they aren't going to be building muscle that way. And seeing as they were thin and flabbly I suspect the majority of their workout for the day was going to lift some beers. I'm being mean because it was awful. I did 15 minutes on the treadmill then had to wait outside half an hour till they finally left so I could go do my workout. BLECH!!!

I wonder if when I'm buff and tattoo'd - and if I could speak spanish if I would have had the gumption to say "hey, come on - you want to impress the chicks, let me show you how to do it". Hmmm?

But then part of my weight loss is about changing the inner too - learning to find my voice. Interesting to see "who" I become.

miss shelly84
05-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Hey guys,

Just diving in head-first to these threads. I have nothing to do this evening, so I'll be on the computer awhile.

My goals in May are as follows:

To start up with the exercise again! I have been doing yoga at a place near my apartment, only to find that I didn't have enough money to keep going on a regular basis. Well, now that the fundage has returned, I suppose I will too.

To look for some other ways to lose weight that are enjoyable and not too monotonous. I like the idea of belly dancing as previously mentioned in this thread, but classes are hard to come by in TN. Any other suggestions (preferably not too expensive) would be great! :)

To start doing a vegetarian diet again. I did it for more for activist reasons the first go-around, and discovered to my delight that I was losing weight. However, I fell off the wagon and I'd like to get back on it.

So, those are my goals for the time-being. :)

Michelle

Robot
05-14-2009, 02:29 AM
Welcome, Miss Shelly!

I need to stop bingeing. I'll go weeks OP and lose weight, but just a few days of bingeing, and I gain the weight right back. Blargh. I am officially back in the 200s again. Uggg,

WormwoodDoll
05-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Hey ladies! I can't believe it's half way through May practically. It's time to get my butt back into gear. Been OP for two days now. I was off the wagon for almost a month.

Tayja
05-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Just checking in to see how everyone is doing!

Water is going good!
Gym this week is going good
Strenth Training is also going fairly well

And if my scale is right I am completely floored with a moderate size loss!! (not counting it just yet, will keep an eye on it for a couple of days)

mypunkrockromance
05-14-2009, 03:54 PM
How awesome is this??? I never knew this support group existed!!

My goal this month is to stick with exercising at least five days a week, 30 mins per day. I'm so awful at it! I'd rather be sitting home reading and listening to music. Why can't exercising your mind burn calories??

going2Bhealthy
05-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Hey chicas, it's been a long while and I'm going to have to spend a while catching up with everyone's posts :) I've had a turbulent few months... I moved back in with the bf at the end of march and we moved into a new place in early april, the day after we moved we went on holiday for a week, came back to lots of unapcking, my bf is writing his uni dissertation which is due in on the 18th and I had my tonsils removed on the 7th, so am currently off work with not much to do (except all the housework, bleh) and throughout all this time I've had no internet, no scales, held no routine whatsoever and am actually really surprised that I didn't put on more than I did! Phew... I now have the net and have at least one more week off work in which I'm going to finish the curtains I've started for the new flat, finish the unpacking properly and get myself into a proper food routine.

That is my goal for may... to get into a proper eating routine, with breakfast, lunch, dinner and healthy snacks in between. It's really difficult for me to do that at the moment as I find myself eating only so I don't ruin my stomach with painkillers, but the pain is starting to subside and I'm managing to get a bit of breakfast in :carrot:

I'm in the process of making myself a few goals and sorting out some rewards for meeting them etc. and I'm not only really looking forward to the summer but also to Gay Pride, which is a really big deal where I live, but even though I've spent 3 summers here, I've never been able to go to the saturday parade etc. due to work or holidays, so that's my main summer goal. The theme is Pride by the Seaside so I guess what I wear will mostly depend on how much I weigh :o which will also be aided by the gym membership I'm going to be able to buy what with my pay rise :carrot: As soon as I'm well enough, I'm getting on down there to sign my flab away, and what a joyous occasion it will be :D

Anyhoo, that's enough from me, I hope all you girlies are doing well today!

Well Done on keeping OP Tayja and good luck with your official weigh in :D
To WormwoodDoll, great work with staying on plan, just keep it up and you'll fall back into your healthy routine without a sweat :carrot:
Robot, hang in there! We all have crappy days, weeks, months, **** I've had pretty crappy years! Just take a breath, remember why you're losing weight and trying to stay healthy, remember your goals and why they are there... they are only for you, so you can be a stronger, healthier person. Next time you feel the binge coming on, ask yourself why... work out what's causing the need to binge and sort it out a healthier way, come on here and vent to us :) and remind youself of all the hard work you'll undo by eating that chocolate or those chips or that pizza etc. You can do it :carrot:

Robot
05-14-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks, Maria. And welcome back!

lizziep
05-15-2009, 12:55 PM
ugh i had such a bad day yesterday- i've been trying not as hard as i should i know that but i have been trying to lose weight. i thought i was down about 15 lbs- according to my scale i am at 243. i go to the dr yesterday and it says i'm at 247?!?! up 3 lbs from my visit in january. ugh!!!! i am so annoyed and discouraged.

i know what i need to do and i'm just not doing it. i can't seem to bring myself to do the hard work that is needed. plugging along isn't working anymore. guess its time to revise my plan.

bobblefrog
05-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Aw, lizziep - :hug:
I bet you are discouraged! I'm not sure I understand though - if your scale SAYS you've lost 15 lbs you must have even if it was a different end result than the doctor's scale? Don't give up though! Take a look at your plan and see where you can make modifications. Maybe you need to make less changes than you think? Are you calorie counting? Established a baseline? That was HUGE for me. And your doctor has ruled out any low thyroid functioning, hormonal imbalances or blood sugar problems? All of those are such an enemy to losing weight.

As for me the week went well, happy to report. I stayed OP and the breathing exercises have made a huge difference in how I feel. I've both been super energetic and I have handled stress better. They are simple little things - so it's kind of amazing to see that they can really help. But I'm convinced as I got up late today so did my walking before doing them - it was like I was in a different body. Felt lethargic and "old" - pains shooting up one leg...in other words like I usually do before I started them! BIZARRE.

Tomorrow is weigh-in...finger's crossed... :crossed:

Riverite
05-18-2009, 10:07 AM
lizziep - It is always hard to revise the plan--but it might be a great opportunity to try some new things! Hang in there. How did your cleansing go? Did you notice a difference?

bobblefrog - I'd love to know about your breathing exercises. How did you learn about them?

I've been following along but haven't really checked in this month. Things are going okay. My weightloss has plateaued a little, but it is my own fault. I haven't been counting as religiously or getting to the gym as much as I was before. I got really sick at the beginning of May, and it completely threw me off. I'm still loosing, just at a slower rate. But, I'm ready to hit it again!

Did the exercise thread die? That was really helping me. Is anyone interested in starting it again for June?

Skullarix
05-19-2009, 01:28 AM
Hey Chicks,

Long time, my computer fried, hopefuly I'll be able to be on more. Saddly I am the same weight as when I left, but I guess it's good I didn't gain any.

hello pinki
05-19-2009, 01:53 PM
My May goal is to get back into my food log and also keeping up with my weight training.

My results goal is 5 lbs by 5/30...so far down 2!

Cj

mauvaisroux
05-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Hey ladies! :wave:

Hope everyone is doing well. :)

I totally :ink: ed out on the weekend on ribs and mac'n cheese but it was our anniversary dinner so I what the hey! I am back on plan and back to exercising this week. Off to dance class tonight :belly:

My doctor told me she wants me to lose another 10 lbs so I am even more motivated now.

Welcome back going2Bhealthy and skullarix!

Sunrose
05-19-2009, 10:02 PM
Hi everyone!

I miss you all! I am such a slacker at posting these days. I will have more free time soon and I promise to check in more! I've been doing pretty well on diet and okay, but not consistent enough on exercise. I'm slowly losing, but feel like I need to step it up. I am definitely on track though, so I am pretty happy because for a while there (in March) I lost focus.

Glad to see so many posts here! Keep up the great work. I know we can all do this!!! :D

lizziep
05-20-2009, 02:50 AM
boy i've been slacking too. cleansing... didn't go that great. but i'm back at it... basically it's more just clean eating to jump-start myself again. lots of veggies and no dairy, wheat, etc. i have noticed feeling much better actually.
i did finally get the nerve to weight myself at home and i'm down a pound from my scale. so i'm just gonna accept that the dr's office and my house don't have the same scale, and know that i've lost the amount of pounds that i've lost regardless of what the number on the scale says. i'm back from the edge!! :)

going2Bhealthy
05-22-2009, 07:25 AM
Hey, lizziep, keep going with the cleansing, it's so good when you can feel the difference and you can even see it on the scale, so keep going :)

Riverite, I'm up for starting the ex thread in June. I can't believe it's only around the corner!!

I haven't done so well over the past few days, just a bit of alcohol on the weekend (eurovision fun) and my mum came to stay so we ate out and I am still in 'Wow, I can eat again, must eat lots of tasty things' after having my tonsils out. I did lost a lb though, so can't be all that bad. I'm having a star wars film marathon with my friend this weekend so it's going to be off plan, but that's ok cos my bf is going away for 18 days starting from the 26th and I always find I realign my habits when he's not here.

Here's to a great weekend chicas!!

SillyGirl
05-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Hi everyone! I'm fairly new to the forum and just discovered the Alternachicks.
So... Hello!

Robot
05-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Welcome, SillyGirl!

mauvaisroux
05-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Welcome Sillygirl! :wave:

I've been slacking a bit too. I haven't felt well for the past week and have just been coming home from work and crashing out after dinner.

DH and I are supposed to start swimming next week and I am looking forward to it. The big push is on for me as I want to be in great shape for my summer holidays at the end of July. I am hoping to lose about 15 lbs at least but I am more concerned with being fit.