Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Barefoot walking/excercise or nearly

I just spent a fortune on Nike Free sneakers. I didn't know which ones or what size and no store in my area carries them so I got a bunch!
I just wanted to know has anyone tried the barefoot exercising or using shoes that simulate barefeet?
My physiatrist recommended I try it for my flat feet and EXTREME arch pain.
I can't wait until the sneakers come but wanted some feedback. Normally I would have thought the doctor a nutjob, but he spent more time with me in one visit than I would get in five visits with my podiatrists (who have come to the conclusion that nothing is wrong!)

It almost seems too easy a solution for foot pain that plagued me for 20 years, during my very skinny childhood and my now overweight adulthood.

I would love to hear other people's experiences about the same thing. My dream is to be able to walk long distances again, use the elliptical without pain, and the step climber... And maybe eventually run a mile or two!
Sisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

For running, I think they are fine and people have positive experiences. I've heard of Vibram five fingers as well as Newton's, but not the Nike version.

For aerobics though, I'd stick with something that has some shock resistance/support.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

I hate shoes and prefer not to wear them when I can get away with it. I use my elliptical barefoot or I wear gym slippers, which are basically thin cloth ballet shoes (no support whatsoever).

I don't have your issues though - I have no foot pain, and I have really high arches. I have no way of knowing if I have no foot pain because I rarely wear shoes (even as a kid I rarely wore shoes) or if I have good feet that allow me to get away with not wearing shoes.

There is a school of thought that claims that many foot problems are caused by a lifetime of overly supportive shoes - the claim is that the tendons and muscles in the feet become weak and unable to do the job nature designed them for. There are many people that are barefoot runners and claim that this 'cured' or 'prevented' problems. I think that for some people with some problems, it may be true that bare is better, but as a general statement, it's hooey and possibly dangerous (note that this is my opinion only - not truth).

I think you'll have to find out for yourself what works for you - everyone is different! You could try a *slow* run (or even a walk) on a treadmill or elliptical without running shoes and see what your feet feel like. If they hurt or show any sign of injury, stop and wear your special shoes. If you find your feet are fine or even are better, then you are one of the 'born to be free' types.

BP
bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote