General chatter - What are you Reading? May 2009

View Full Version : What are you Reading? May 2009

alinnell
05-01-2009, 12:59 PM
I just finished Escape (http://www.amazon.com/Escape-Carolyn-Jessop/dp/0767927575/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241193467&sr=8-1) by Carolyn Jessop. Wow. What a book. I couldn't put it down. I don't know how anybody could survive in that atmosphere of constant abuse.

Now onto something a little lighter: Safer (http://www.amazon.com/Safer-Sean-Doolittle/dp/0385338988/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241193533&sr=1-1) by Sean Doolittle. Harlan Coben is quoted on the jacket saying it is a good book and I love Coben, so I thought I'd give it a try. So far so good!

freshmanweightorbust
05-01-2009, 01:03 PM
I'm reading Main Street, by Sinclair Lewis.

Idealperson
05-01-2009, 03:26 PM
I am reading "Can You Keep a Secret" by Sophie Kinsella. I love all her books- they are funny and a light, enjoyable read!

M Dizzle
05-01-2009, 04:25 PM
"Baby Proof" by Emily Griffin

Delphi
05-01-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm currently reading, The Spartans by Paul Cartledge. He definitely does an impressive job with this installment.

zenor77
05-02-2009, 12:01 AM
I just finished the Twilight series of books and am looking for something else to read. Yes, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I read the Twilight series, but the story was good. The first book wasn't the best as far as writing is concerned, but that got better in subsequent books.

I do think I need to find something to read with more substance after that though.

GirlyGirl
05-02-2009, 02:05 AM
I'm reading While My Sister Sleeps by Barbara Delinsky. Fantastic book, but heart wrenching. :(

GirlyGirl
05-02-2009, 02:06 AM
I just finished the Twilight series of books and am looking for something else to read. Yes, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I read the Twilight series, but the story was good. The first book wasn't the best as far as writing is concerned, but that got better in subsequent books.

I do think I need to find something to read with more substance after that though.

I loved the Twilight series as well! My coworker got me hooked, and then surprised me with my very own Bella bracelet. :D

alinnell
05-02-2009, 07:23 PM

Don't feel guilty! I'd say that the majority of people do like this series. It's kind of mindless which sometimes I like in a book. However, my DS has given me several Stephanie Plum mysteries by Janet Evanovich. And they are terribly mindless and I don't think I'll read any more. I don't find them all that entertaining, either.

GradPhase
05-02-2009, 07:28 PM
I'm having a hard time getting in to the Stephanie Plum novels too. I read the first one and a few chapters were really enticing, and after a chapter or two of the second book I just couldn't pick it back up ... and I've got the third book waiting on me but the motivation has escaped me. My boyfriend's mom has the entire series - so I hope I can find it in me to get through the second book and maybe they'll pick up!

murphmitch
05-02-2009, 07:28 PM
I just finished "The Life & Times of the Thunderbolt Kid" by Bill Bryson and now I'm reading "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle." I like to listen to books on CD or MP3. Like to listen at the gym or in the car.

phatcat
05-03-2009, 09:39 AM
The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl by Shauna Reed. She has her own website as well. She is humorous and oh so honest.

happykristen
05-03-2009, 11:32 AM
I just re-read Monkeewrench and Dead Run by PJ Tracy. Very good mysteries, set in the Twin Cities (St. Paul / Minneapolis). I also just re-read Welcome to Temptation by Jennifer Crusie, a very fun romance/mystery (steamy, so be warned)

Lizzyg
05-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Rhett Butler's People, by Donald McCaig. I'm loving it so far!

ANOther
05-03-2009, 04:48 PM
I just re-read Monkeewrench and Dead Run by PJ Tracy. Very good mysteries, set in the Twin Cities (St. Paul / Minneapolis).

Another Twin Citizen here. Ever read anything by John Sandford or KJ Erickson?

Right now, about halfway through The Codex by Douglas Preston. On deck, The Venetian Betrayal by Steve Berry; after that First Family by David Baldacci

alinnell
05-04-2009, 12:54 PM
I finished Safer (http://www.amazon.com/Safer-Sean-Doolittle/dp/0385338988/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241452412&sr=8-1) by Sean Doolittle in just three days. Very good book--kind of reminded me of The Firm, but not in a legal way. Now I'm reading Pride and Prejudice.

GirlyGirl
05-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Now I'm reading "Thanks for the Memories" by Cecilia Ahern. I love her!:book2:

ShutterK
05-04-2009, 09:54 PM
The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon - one of my favorites!

SheilaG
05-05-2009, 10:42 AM
7th Heaven by James Patterson.

Smiling_Sara
05-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Plum Loving by Janet Evenovich.

so far it's only so so. I like her number books better.

Peaches
05-08-2009, 08:36 AM
I am re-reading Twilight. I read the series once, then saw the movie and I *have* to read it again. :book2:

Glory87
05-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Finished Still Life by Joy Fielding - huge snoozefest, really had to push through to the ending. Another "perfect" heroine - perfection is so boring! Now I am reading I Am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe. Interesting enough, so far.

alinnell
05-08-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm several chapters into Pride and Predjudice and am not liking it much. I think it's the language--too flowery for my taste. So I downloaded the new Jen Lancaster book Pretty in Plaid. (http://www.amazon.com/Pretty-Plaid-Condescending-Egomaniacal-Self-Centered/dp/0451226801/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241796728&sr=8-1) It's funny--not nearly as good as her first book, but I am enjoying it.

ANOther
05-08-2009, 04:40 PM
I finished The Codex last night and I'm not so sure I liked it as much as I like some of Preston's and/or Child's other books. Tonight I start The Venetian Betrayal (Steve Berry) ETA 05.11 and I see both The Codex and Venetian Betrayal have a surprisingly similar premise (SPOILER AHEAD)

>Both books have to do with the search for a long-lost or hidden tomb in which the formula for a wonder drug may be hidden<

sweetandspicy
05-08-2009, 04:44 PM
I am also reading 7th heaven by James Patterson. I really seem to enjoy books that are in a series lately. I also loved the Stephanie Plum books with Janet Evanovich. I also just read Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner. It was great.

MonteCristo
05-08-2009, 04:56 PM
I just started Dune by Frank Herbert. It is really interesting.

PearFreak
05-08-2009, 10:36 PM
I am in the middle of reading Girl's Night In... it is a bunch of short stories written by various authors. Next is Girl's Night Out, again written by various authors. So far, so good. I like that each chapter is a different story, written by a different author, and just long enough to get into.

LisaMarie71
05-09-2009, 02:45 PM
I just finished (finally) The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. The older my little one gets, the less time I have for reading! I'm sure when he's a toddler I won't be reading at all! Anyway, I liked the book though it did drag in some parts. It was beautifully written, and I always like anything that revisits Shakespeare.

Glory, what did you hate about the ending? I guess there's no way to tell me that without spoiling it for others, though! I actually kind of liked the ending. I was afraid to read the book because so many people hate the end, but I'm glad I stuck with it.

Now I'm reading Testimony by Anita Shreve -- she's one of my favorites.

Smiling_Sara
05-11-2009, 12:08 PM
started reading Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea. Pretty funny stuff so far.

alinnell
05-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Glory, what did you hate about the ending? I guess there's no way to tell me that without spoiling it for others, though! I actually kind of liked the ending. I was afraid to read the book because so many people hate the end, but I'm glad I stuck with it.

Pardon me for jumping in, but I thought the ending was a cop-out in a way. I can think of a different ending that would be much better.

RachelOnADiet
05-12-2009, 02:30 AM
I'm just starting "Gods in Alabama," by Joshilyn Jackson. Her other book, "Between, Georgia" is one of my favorites so I'm sure this one will be great too.

PearFreak
05-12-2009, 10:09 AM
started reading Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea. Pretty funny stuff so far.

I've seen this title before and was thinking of getting it. Let me know how you like it.

MonteCristo
05-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Siddhartha by Herman Hesse - An interesting story of a man search of his ultimate "self". The writing style is very wierd and choppy, but that is probably the translator's fault and not the author's.

Smiling_Sara
05-12-2009, 01:09 PM
I've seen this title before and was thinking of getting it. Let me know how you like it.

So far I like it, just over half done. Her sense of comedy could offend some people, but you can say that about a lot of books.

PearFreak
05-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the heads up BornToFly. I doubt her sense of comedy would bother me. It takes a lot to infuriate me. Just reading the title of the book, should ward of those whom are a bit less into that comedic read. Again, thanks for the info. Happy Reading!!!

Smiling_Sara
05-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the heads up BornToFly. I doubt her sense of comedy would bother me. It takes a lot to infuriate me. Just reading the title of the book, should ward of those whom are a bit less into that comedic read. Again, thanks for the info. Happy Reading!!!

you bet! if you read it be sure to tell me what you think of it.

zanheltangia
05-13-2009, 11:19 PM
Waiting for the 1st book in a series by C.E. Murphy. B&N is taking their sweet time getting it in despite telling me otherwise, yet again...
Seems like forever since my last read. The ToBeRead pile is starting to glare at me.
*whimper*

MonteCristo
05-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy - I'm still trying to figure out everyones' names. Russian novels are difficult that way as everyone has at least two different names, and sometimes more.......but it is very interesting, and I am enjoying it.

Glory87
05-14-2009, 11:47 AM
I finished reading I Am Charlotte Simmons - wow, it was definitely interesting. I think Wolfe was skewering the naval gazing, SUV driving, drinking, moneyed, oversexed college generation. All of the characters were pretty unlikeable, but I was completely fascinated at how he captured so many truths of college life (and so many hyperboles!).

I thought Charlotte was intriguing, I definitely wasn't as book smart as Charlotte when I was in school, but I wasn't as socially inept either - but I could see some of my younger, college self in her behavior. Laughing like crazy at nothing, so everyone around will THINK she's having a wonderful time, for example. It's very ME ME ME ME ME - pay attention to ME.

Wolfe writes BRICKS of text, entire pages of text without paragraph breaks. I found myself having to go back and re-read pages to make sure I got everything.

Now I'm reading The Girl She Used to Be (http://www.amazon.com/Girl-She-Used-Be/dp/0446582220/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242312153&sr=8-1) which is definitely a lot lighter. It's almost "chick lit" which is surprising considering the subject matter - mafia and the witness protection agency.

Thighs Be Gone
05-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Still working on Superfoods Rx.

I am also reading a copy of WW Magazine from December.

sprklemajik
05-14-2009, 12:38 PM
I'm finishing up Forever Odd, the 4th book in the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz. It's fun.

MonteCristo
05-18-2009, 05:16 PM
I just finished A Guide to Elegance by Genevieive Antoine Dariaux. I'm also reading Miss Manners' Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior by Judith Martin and Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert.

Biju
05-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Reading Mr. White's Confession by Robert Clark for my summer book club. Very interesting mystery story, written from the point of view of the detective as well as the suspect.

Catch: Suspect has a memory problem and can't remember things that didn't happen either a few minutes ago or several years ago. Everything in between in a blur. He keeps journals and makes scrapbooks with newspaper articles so he can keep track of public life...

Only 1/3 way through, but liking it a lot so far!

Chele615
05-18-2009, 06:43 PM
i just finished reading "Revolutionary Road". The movie looked good, so I figured I would read the book first. It was alright....not one of my favorites though.

I have had "Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Piccoult sitting on my shelf for over a year now. Everyone has been telling me to read it because it's supposed to be really good!!! That might be my next one.

alinnell
05-18-2009, 07:41 PM
i just finished reading "Revolutionary Road". The movie looked good, so I figured I would read the book first. It was alright....not one of my favorites though.

I have had "Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Piccoult sitting on my shelf for over a year now. Everyone has been telling me to read it because it's supposed to be really good!!! That might be my next one.

I didn't like Revolutionary Road either. Made me NOT want to see the movie.

I've been on a non-reading kick, but am back at reading Pretty in Plaid by Jen Lancaster. Still not the best of her books, but it is entertaining. I had started Pride and Prejudice, but it bothered me. I may or may not go back to it.

PearFreak
05-19-2009, 12:20 AM
Finished reading Yummy Mummy and am now reading Slummy Mummy. Love me my English Chick Lit. Their use of phrases and slang can be quite hysterical at times. Especially the US comparisons.

Glory87
05-19-2009, 04:46 AM
Was Slummy Mummy a sequel? I read it first!

I have Pretty in Plaid on hold at the library. I finally finished The Girl She Used to BE - HATED it. Absolutely fascinating premise, ruined by (imo) a completely bizarre love story and unbelievable ending.

I'm currently not reading anything! I tried Breather's Lament: Zombie Love Story but it was boooring. Hopefully, some new books will be ready for me at the library soon.

Smiling_Sara
05-22-2009, 12:03 PM
I'm about 30 pages from finishing Plum Lucky from Janet Evanovich. It' kinda 'meh but it's a quick read. I enjoy her number books much better!

FrouFrou
05-22-2009, 01:56 PM
BornToFly...almost got Chelsea's book but there were so many others I wanted, lol. Glad to know it is funny...watch her every night and she cracks me up! And I love Janet Evanovich...the number ones the best. I've read some of the others, the romance stuff and not so much...they were okay but ones I feel dumber for reading, lol.

I am getting ready to start There's A Slight Chance I May Be Going to **** by Laurie Notaro...seemed kind of off the wall and funny...we'll see. Hoping this gets me back into a reading mode...took forever to finsih The Time Travelers Wife.

Happy Reading All!

mygritsconfessions
05-22-2009, 02:13 PM
I just finished a wonderful story "Tuesdays with Morrie." It is a small book, fairly quick read and just a touching true story about terminally ill Professor and one of his old students.

I am now starting two books the first for night reading and health, is "Master Your Metabolism" by Jillian Michaels. I am wanting to read this for the information on balancing hormones, which I know is critical for good health. The second morning reading book I am starting is "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warrnen.

dutchgirl
05-22-2009, 03:52 PM
I loved "Tuesdays with Morrie", it is one of the books I go back to every so often.
I am currently reading "Cathedral of the Sea" by Ildefonso Falcones, translated from Spanish. Think "Pillars of the Earth" set in medieval Barcelona.
Like it o.k., but not one of my all time faves.

Smiling_Sara
05-23-2009, 02:25 AM
BornToFly...almost got Chelsea's book but there were so many others I wanted, lol. Glad to know it is funny...watch her every night and she cracks me up! And I love Janet Evanovich...the number ones the best. I've read some of the others, the romance stuff and not so much...they were okay but ones I feel dumber for reading, lol.

I am getting ready to start There's A Slight Chance I May Be Going to **** by Laurie Notaro...seemed kind of off the wall and funny...we'll see. Hoping this gets me back into a reading mode...took forever to finsih The Time Travelers Wife.

Happy Reading All!

where do you watch cheslea? it is a laugh out loud book. I am looking into getting another one of her books. and I agree, I think I need to stick with the number books with evanovich.

Shopaholic1204
05-23-2009, 03:09 AM
I'm reading....Circus of the Damned by Laurell K. Hamilton.

painted lady
05-23-2009, 03:21 AM
i'm almost done with "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova. It's about Dracula... but not really in a vampiry way. it's fantastically-written historical fiction with a fantasy/sci-fi/horror twist. and that's not even doing it justice.

it takes a while to build, but once you are engrossed in the story, the pages fly by! it makes me proud to be the granddaughter of a Hungarian/Romanian woman named Helen (as there is just such a woman in the story).

Brown Eyed Staccie
05-23-2009, 03:25 AM
Twilight series - I have been reading it over and over again for the past 5 months....LOVE IT!!!!

But I am also reading a biography about Cleopatra - to help keep my brain cells active :)

FrouFrou
05-23-2009, 09:11 AM
BornToFly...on the E channel, here it is on at 10 p.m...she kills me!

momof5k
05-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Oooo I just found this "what are you reading thread" Yay!

I just finished Tuesdays with Morrie a few weeks ago and really enjoyd it. I also just finished The Prairie Bridesmaid and am now reading Three Cups of Tea.

I am in a monthly book club and the next one on the list is Wesley the Owl.

Sweetsiren12
05-23-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm in part 2 of The Divine Comedy, Purgatorio, by Dante Alighieri.

Also reading Human, All Too Human by Friedrich Nietzsche.

Working with teenagers day in and day out leaves me craving intelligent conversation or at least some deep reading.

Has anyone read any Henry Miller pieces? I'm considering picking up a couple of his books after I finish these two.

LisaMarie71
05-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Glory, I didn't care for I Am Charlotte Simmons. It was one of those really long books that I finished and then wanted my time back!

Since I last signed on, I finished Testimony by Anne Shreve, which I liked a lot, though not as much as some of her others. I also read Just One Look by Harlan Coben and thought it was just ok. I usually don't read that kind of book but I was looking for something like that and hoped to really like it. It kept my attention but I thought the end was kind of lame, and I didn't particularly care for his writing style. I may read one more by him eventually.

I also read The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde and am currently reading his Lost in a Good Book. These are from the Thursday Next series, and I think it's a lot of fun. It really is like Harry Potter for adults (though I like HP anyway and think it's for adults too!)

I also tried reading the first in the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series, and I HATED it. I gave it a chance and read 75 pages, but I just couldn't get into it at all. Not a fan. Sucks, too, because I was hoping to find a new vampire series and I've heard good things about this one.

Shopaholic1204
05-23-2009, 03:53 PM
i'm almost done with "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova. It's about Dracula... but not really in a vampiry way. it's fantastically-written historical fiction with a fantasy/sci-fi/horror twist. and that's not even doing it justice.

it takes a while to build, but once you are engrossed in the story, the pages fly by! it makes me proud to be the granddaughter of a Hungarian/Romanian woman named Helen (as there is just such a woman in the story).

I thought that book was really really boring. I almost finished the book and was so bored, I couldn't go on anymore. (But I did read the end, lol)

Smiling_Sara
05-23-2009, 07:28 PM
BornToFly...on the E channel, here it is on at 10 p.m...she kills me!

thank you! I'll have to check that out.

alinnell
05-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Oooo I just found this "what are you reading thread" Yay!

I just finished Tuesdays with Morrie a few weeks ago and really enjoyd it. I also just finished The Prairie Bridesmaid and am now reading Three Cups of Tea.

I am in a monthly book club and the next one on the list is Wesley the Owl.

Isn't Wesley the Owl such a good book? I really enjoyed that one.

momof5k
05-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Isn't Wesley the Owl such a good book? I really enjoyed that one.

Oh I 'm glad you liked it! I haven't read it yet as I am still finishing Three Cups of Tea. It is a really interesting story (it's true) but not a very compelling read so it is dragging a bit.

Shopaholic1204
05-27-2009, 07:46 AM
I just finished Honeymoon by James Patterson..and now I'm reading The Lunatic Cafe by Laurell K. Hamilton.

BeautyandtheBeast
05-27-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm currently reading The Conquest by Elizabeth Chadwick - I just love medieval fiction!

Smiling_Sara
05-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Dexter in the Dark. By Jeff Lindsay

I think this is prob from season 3, which I haven't seen yet, but I enjoyed the show better then the books for the first two. But thought I'd read it anyway to finish it up.

touchmytoes
05-27-2009, 02:25 PM
I have just finished thanks for the memories by the same girl who wrote ps I love you...really sweet book

amyleigh
05-27-2009, 02:41 PM
I just finished Diary by Chuck Palahniuk. It was great. Sadly I won't be starting anything new until June 7th because I'll be studying for comp exams. hooray.

dragonwoman64
05-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Stuck: Why We Can't (or Won't) Move On
so good.

harrismm
05-27-2009, 10:59 PM
Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner.LOVE her books.

PearFreak
05-27-2009, 11:07 PM
I have just finished thanks for the memories by the same girl who wrote ps I love you...really sweet book

A friend rec'ed PS I LOVE YOU. I just finished it. Real good. I didn't want to put it down, and when I finished it, didn't want it to end. :D

lizziep
05-28-2009, 02:13 AM
i'm re-reading The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan. love it.

badbaum
05-28-2009, 02:15 AM

If you like Twilight and Sex and the City, go for the Sookie Stackhouse series - more vampires, but also more mature. The HBO series True Blood is based on them. They are AWESOME

MonteCristo
05-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Right now I'm reading A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce. I don't particularily care for the style, but perhaps I'll adapt.

Shopaholic1204
05-28-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm reading Dracula by Bram Stoker

Glory87
05-28-2009, 11:41 AM
I just finished Sweet Trade (http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Trade-Elizabeth-Garrett/dp/0812578511/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243521662&sr=8-1). The prose was a little overwrought at times, but the true story the book is based on was so fascinating.

LisaMarie71
05-29-2009, 08:46 PM
I finished Lisa Scottoline's Courting Trouble, which was HORRIBLE. I didn't expect much but thought it would just be an entertaining little mystery. Ugh, it was horrible. I really don't know why I continued to read it.

Now I'm reading The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory.

FrouFrou
05-30-2009, 01:24 PM
Will finish up There's A Slight Chance I Might Be Going to **** today and will start The Late Bloomer's Revolution by Amy Cohen...just wanted some differnet reading this time.

alinnell
05-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Will finish up There's A Slight Chance I Might Be Going to **** today and will start The Late Bloomer's Revolution by Amy Cohen...just wanted some differnet reading this time.

Those Laurie Naturo books look hilarious. Tell me what it's like.