100 lb. Club - Favorite meal?

View Full Version : Favorite meal?

WildThings
04-30-2009, 08:30 PM
I made my favorite dinner tonight so it got me thinking about this. Since I am always on a quest to find good good, what is everyone's favorite meal...breakfast, lunch or dinner?

Tonight I made buffalo burgers with caramelized onions on a bed of lettuce and spinach with black beans and cauliflower on the side (would have been better with asparagus but forgot I had some). 511 calories, lots of vitamins, low fat.

nelie
04-30-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm eating one of my favorite dinners tonight...

'Taco' salad
Chopped romaine
Chopped tomatoes
Chopped cucumber
Diced jalapeno
Homemade beans, warmed up
Salsa

I didn't know I was going to want this tonight or else I would've bought avocado to go with it. Chopped bell peppers is also really good with it and green onions as well.

willow68
04-30-2009, 09:15 PM
i was just thinking about what to have for dinner tomorrow...
which will probably be salmon w/ broccoli over whole wheat pasta and pesto.

favorite breakfast: oatmeal and berries, apple or banana
favorite lunch: salad in pita pocket w/ hummus
favorite dinner: whole wheat pasta or brown rice with veggie chili
favorite snack: trail mix

shrinkingleah
04-30-2009, 09:15 PM
I just ate my favorite dinner, Pita Pizzas. It's fairly high carbs but overall, low calorie and 23 grams of protein!

2 pita rounds
Tomato Sauce
Cooked Ground Turkey
Mozzerella Cheese
Black Olives
Mushrooms

Just make little pizzas! Two is quite overfilling so I tend to save some for the next day. My husband loves them, he tries to eat healthy with me. Even my family, who hates healthy food, likes them.

Good news for calorie counters. Two little pizzas is 468 Calories!

cfmama
04-30-2009, 09:27 PM
Chicken fajita's

whole wheat tortilla
cup cooked chicken breast with chipoltle seasoning from Mrs. Dash
all the veggies
sour cream and viola! Yum in a wrap :)

BarbPA
04-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Just finished my new favorite dinner:
Jennie-o turkey burger
Trader Joe's whole wheat bun
Lil bit of cheese
A1 steak sauce
Mustard
Lettuce
Onion...but I was out tonight

I had it with a side of green beans and snow peas.

One of my other favs is ground turkey tacos - lots of lettuce, onion, salsa...lite on the cheese.

Fav Lunch:
Chicken stir fried with Brocolli, edamame, carrots, water chesnuts, onions (not necessarily all each time), lil bit of teryaki.

Fav Breakfasts:
Eggs white scrambled with bell peppers and onions
Egg while omelet with spinach, onion, feta
Oatmeal with raisins, apples or coconut

Looking forward to hearing other good ideas.
:D

GirlyGirlSebas
04-30-2009, 09:38 PM
My favorite is a recipe shared by my friend Jaime. I absolutely adore Butternut squash and black bean tacos. Yum Yum! I think I'll plan these for this weekend.

tarryn
04-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Favourite Brekkie- wholemeal muslie flakes, peach and mango yoghurt and a banana chopped up. I crave it every second of the day!

Lunch- Megagrain toast with avocado and baked beans

Dinner- egg white omelette with ham tomatoe spinach and low fat cheese

Glory87
04-30-2009, 10:01 PM
My favorite is a recipe shared by my friend Jaime. I absolutely adore Butternut squash and black bean tacos. Yum Yum! I think I'll plan these for this weekend.

Recipe please!!!

GirlyGirlSebas
04-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Recipe please!!!

Sure! Here you go.

(14-oz.) can black beans, drained
Juice from a large fresh lime
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
cayenne pepper, if desired for heat
olive oil cooking spray
Half of a butternut squash, diced fairly small
1/2 teaspoon sea salt or McCormick's Salt Free Lemon Pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon or chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
freshly ground black pepper
8 soft corn tortillas or corn taco shells*
1 jar green or red salsa, for serving

1. Gently warm the beans in a saucepan over low heat and mash them a bit with a potato masher. Add in the lime juice and garlic. Add a dash of cayenne for heat, if desired.

2. Heat a spray of olive oil in a skillet and lightly stir-fry the diced squash; season it with sea salt, Lemon Pepper, and spices. Stir frequently, until the squash is browned and tender (but not mushy), about 10 minutes.

*To serve soft tacos, heat the corn tortillas quickly one by one in a very hot dry skillet, about 10 seconds per side, wrap them quickly in a slightly damp clean towel, and place in a warmed dish or tortilla warmer. To serve hard shell tacos, warm the shells on a baking sheet briefly in the oven before serving.

Serve at the table family-style.

Spoon the fillings into warmed serving bowls at the table. Pour the green or red salsa into a serving bowl.

Have each person assemble their tacos by spooning in some black beans, sautéed squash, and salsa. Loosely roll up and enjoy!

Serves 4 at 2 per person.

Sorry, I don't have the nutrition information. Now that I'm calorie counting, I do need to calculate those numbers! I also use whole wheat tortillas and tons of lime juice on the beans.

nelie
04-30-2009, 11:07 PM
I like butternut squash/black bean tacos too :) Also kale and potato enchiladas are really good as well.

Glory87
05-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Dinner TOMORROW, thanks!

bobblefrog
05-01-2009, 12:54 AM
Oh, Nellie - would you post the recipe for the enchiladas? I may have everything on hand I need. Definitely have to figure out how to eat all the kale I picked up before it goes bad!

Star2Be
05-01-2009, 01:21 AM
Ooooh, this is a very tough question! I eat a wide variety of foods when I'm at home, but when I'm at school I eat on a meal plan, at a dining hall that certainly has lots of options--but almost none of them are healthy. :rolleyes: Consequently, I end up eating certain foods with *very* great frequency, heh... So just to be true to reality, I'll say that one of my favorite lunches is a garden burger (on a wheat bun, with lettuce and tomato and nothing else!) and a hefty portion of steamed broccoli... That's exactly what I had for lunch today, in fact! Mmmm. :D

Rosinante
05-01-2009, 04:24 AM
Plain roast chicken with veggies, for a treat roast poatoes and roast parsnips.

HVEECK
05-01-2009, 04:45 AM
tuscan white bean soup! its so yummy! I also love roasted red potato's with roasted brussel sprouts :)
my favorite breakfast is my home made fruit smoothie with nonfat yogurt and flax seeds

Thighs Be Gone
05-01-2009, 05:12 AM
Hmm...hard, hard choice..

I would have to say my own grilled shrimp burgers with lettuce and tomatoes on whole wheat bun--with my homemade tartar sauce..

Grilled veggies with olive oil as my side..

Kae
05-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Hmm... My breakfast and lunch plans during the work week are pretty consistent...
Breakfast: Wheat bagel with low-fat cream cheese or peanut butter.
Lunch: Some sort of sandwich or wrap with a side of fruit.

Dinner: I love making up my own strawberry dressing for salad. Mmm... romaine lettuce, fresh mozzarella, strawberries, and strawberry dressing. I'm also very fond of asparagus and avocado so any meals with those make me happy!

FYI- The Strawberry dressing is made in a small bowl with a hand blender (I love that darn thing.) I don't have an exact recipe, I just make it to taste and blend until smooth. It consists of canola oil, lots of strawberries, honey, salt, and pepper. It's not as sweet as you would think... yum.

Rosinante
05-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Plain roast chicken with veggies, for a treat roast poatoes and roast parsnips.

woohoo! the oven's on, tonight's the night!:jig:

nelie
05-01-2009, 01:13 PM
bobblefrog - Potato and Kale enchiladas (sooo good)
http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=2062

I also made a recipe the other day, Leek and Bean Cassoulet. The recipe calls for biscuits but I omitted those :) It is really good and I serve it over green beans for myself. For my husband, I served it over barley.
I found a recipe of it online but without the portion for the biscuits.
http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-health/kelly-veganomicon.html

stillclock
05-01-2009, 01:33 PM
hm. i LOVE food. LOVE.

i am a fantastic cook, so choosing one dinner?

it's probably always tonight's! har!

a frequent dinner at our house is roasted red pepper sauce on whole wheat pasta. the sauce is usually 3 roasted red peppers skootched with a hand blender, a pinch of salt, a couple of good turns of the pepper mill, and handful of fresh basil and a dollop or cream (about a tablespoon - very littlle.)

i don't taste a huge difference with parm in or out, so i am happy to leave it out.

big bowl of green salad, usually with straight balsamic, though sometimes i add the olive oil if i need the oil.

and if i'm really hungry i'll add some chicken or even better some grilled shrimp!

isolde

WhitePicketFences
05-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Grilled mahi-mahi first marinated in a tad of olive oil, lime juice & herbs ...

Feta & roasted red pepper pizza on a homemade wheat-flax crust ...

Greek-style chicken breasts baked with lemon, oregano & onion ...

Walnut-crusted chicken breasts ...

Chicken-grape salad accompanying a slice of American cheese on a piece of my homemade rye bread ...

Salmon or snapper fish served with peach salsa ...

Chunky, fresh, herb'd marinara served with multiple veggies & some whole wheat penne ...

Grilled cheese & tomato sandwiches, or Avocado, laughing cow swiss & sliced tomato...

Tofu & eggplant green Thai curry with brown jasmine rice ...

Shrimp & pineapple red Thai curry ... (these two are my husband's recipes)

... And some higher-calorie ones, too ... Goat Cheese Rigatoni ... Baked Macaroni & Cheese ... ! That's probably for another, delightful-but-less-productive thread :)

rockinrobin
05-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Tough question, since I really adore all the food that I'm eating. It's kind of like asking me which is my favorite child. ;)

Here's a couple of my favs.

-Roasted chicken. I make this really well if I do say so myself. The trick? A covered black enamel pan that I have. Makes the moistest chicken breast you can imagine. In the same pan, I put in potatoes (for the rest of the family) & huge carrots. We eat it every single Friday night. I serve it with roasted brussel sprouts & roasted string beans. We look forward to it all week long.
-Chicken Marsala
-Chicken stir fry with tons of veggies
-Salmon teriyaki
-Spaghetti squash with portobello mushrooms, peppers, onions (sometimes chicken breast) with tomato sauce

There are plenty of others. Brains not working well. So that's all for now.

Trazey34
05-01-2009, 04:28 PM
This time of year, when it's so nice outside, my fav thing to eat (always has been!!!) is a GINORMOUS salad with greens/tomatoes/peppers etc. from my OWN garden, a grilled chicken breast marinated in lemon and tons of black pepper, and a balsamic/citrusy dressing - ugh to die for! a big crusty piece of bread (ok now it's a whole wheat small roll LOL) and I'm in heaven!

willow650
05-01-2009, 07:10 PM
my fav is sauteed Chicken tenderloins with either chipolte seasoning or Garlic and Herb, broiled veggies(broccoli, cauliflower, squash, zucchini and carrots) and boiled potatoes with a little butter and light sour cream.

WildThings
05-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Roasted chicken is one of my favorites too! :hun: I usually make it once a week...Saturday or Sunday because if I make it on days that I work it's not done until after 8:00. I mostly eat leftovers for breakfast and lunch (no one ever said buffalo burgers and onions was not a good breakfast food). I live by myself so I always have a ton of leftovers.

Everything else sounds so good...I have some new things to try this week.:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: