100 lb. Club - Need to vent...Swine Flu

View Full Version : Need to vent...Swine Flu

daniela
04-30-2009, 04:49 PM
So, I got sent home from work today because I work with a crazy lady!

I started coming down with a cold on Monday night but I just thought it was allergies, by Tuesday I had the sniffles, and when I woke up yesterday I had l had a super awesome head cold (very congested and phlegmy). I called in sick yesterday, stayed in bed, and popped the Nyquil. This morning I was doing much better, still stuffy and a little bit of a cough because of the phlegm so I decided to go to work because I have dealines I have to meet.

Mind you I do not have any influenza symptoms; no fever, no chills, no body aches, no vomiting, no diarrhea. I've NEVER been to Mexico, none of my friends have been to Mexico in the past month, I HAVE A F*CKING COLD!

Right before lunch today my boss says she needs to talk to me...okay. We walk down to a conference room and she tells me that the lady who sits in the cube across from mine talked to her boss and was concerned because I was coughing all morning and that I was out sick yesterday. She said she is worried I have swine flu?!?!?! Are you sh*tting me??? She got to go home because she was worried about me and I went back to work.

My boss is cool and agrees this lady is crazy and is embarrased to even have to ask me to cover my mouth when I cough and to wash my hands. Really is this necessary? So then 1 hr later she informs me that I have to go home. I'm just at a loss for words and I can't figure out how this happened. I'm just mad yet laughing.

I've only been at my job since Aug of last year and they don't give you VPN access unless you've been there for a year or if you are suspected of having swine flu!!!! Ya that's right I got sent home and I now have VPN access so I can work from home. I work with over 1000 people I wonder if anyone else got sent home.

Sorry this is kinda long and I'm rambling, I'm just blown away by this crazyness. Part of me wants to laugh, part is mad, part of me now thinks this lady I work with is a whack job. :dizzy::?::dizzy::?::dizzy::?:

What are your thoughts?

Thighs Be Gone
04-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Oh good grief! I am so sorry. This is a great example of the power of the media to incite hysteria among the masses.

nelie
04-30-2009, 04:51 PM
I think people are super hyper sensitive right now. I think the media is focusing on it heavily.

I was watching Jon Stewart last night and he was going over swine flu news clips and one of them was "It can possible end up killing tens of millions of people". I think with things like that, people are being paranoid.

bargoo
04-30-2009, 04:53 PM
I agree , you work with a whack job.

Peep Smith
04-30-2009, 04:56 PM
You know, you could have refused to go. You cannot be forced out of the office under those circumstances.
*sheesh*...but I hope you feel better soon.

cooperistic
04-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Yeah that lady has probably watched way too much news coverage. I have had a cold too and I also now have the residual cough and congestion (that comes with any cold) and I have had so many comments at my work about it. Granted I haven't been told to go home haha! Is there any way to look at this as a fringe benefit of working with a nut case? You get to work in your sweats and chill at home!

Shannon in ATL
04-30-2009, 04:59 PM
People overreact sometimes.

If you are in a job you can VPN into, there is a low risk of transmission even if you had it, but better safe than sorry I guess. In my case, I work in a restaurant with a high immigrant work force. I admit I will send people home if they manifest symptoms and confirm to me that they or their family have been in Mexico or California. Of course, the first confirmed case in Georgia was just diagnosed today in my hometown...

daniela
04-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Thank you ladies I knew you would all get it! I just can't vent on Facebook because my boss in on it and I dont' want to cause a big stink.

It's fine I don't mind working from home I'm just surprised this lady freaked out like that. I thought she was "normal" hehe guess not.

It makes me think of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine works with the hypochondriac, so she coughs on her keyboard LOL (I'm not doing this but I think it's funny) :)

barefootnikki
04-30-2009, 05:06 PM
I think a grown woman would know the difference between a nasty cold or the flu, ya know?
Good grief. Maybe you can just work from home from now on :D

Jennelle
04-30-2009, 05:13 PM
You're so right - this panic is ridiculous! I'm SO tired of people making comparisons to the flu pandemic of 1918. There's no comparison AT ALL. We have modern medicine and antivirals now. It's just common sense. Wash your hands. Cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze. Spray the doorknobs with Lysol every now and again. Seriously.

daniela
04-30-2009, 05:14 PM
My buddy at work just sent me this...ROFLMAO

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3400/3489841216_9b5509b3fe_o.jpg

daniela
04-30-2009, 05:23 PM
I think a grown woman would know the difference between a nasty cold or the flu, ya know?
Good grief. Maybe you can just work from home from now on :D

You would think, she's in her 40's and has 2 kids (kids bring home crazy germs from school). Like I said I'm shocked because I talk to her everyday, she's nice.

Working from home would be sweet! I'm going to take advantage of it and stay home tomorrow too! My boss said I should if I still have a cough, so I think I'll still have a cough tomorrow :D

onestar
04-30-2009, 05:25 PM
lol at the pic, but at least u get to work from home now.

MrsPiggy
04-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Take advatage of it be sick Monday too! LOL :D

bitetoobreakkskin
04-30-2009, 05:32 PM
similar thing happened to me yesterday!!! i was out sick on monday, on tuesday a girl i work with made a huge deal and threatened to report me to the head of risk and safety if i didnt get checked-so i called our health clinic (we have one in house), and she said my symptoms didnt coincide with the regular flu, let alone the swine flu-so then yesterday some nurses reported me to my sr Vp and he asked that i go to the clinic and get tested..and big surprise-i was negative!! im sorry you actually had to go home :( but at least you get to be in the comfort of home for awhile and still get paid right? i mean, if youre working from home u know?

GirlyGirlSebas
04-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Remember when AIDs first was discovered? This kind of reminds me of that hysteria. But, it all kind of worked out well in the end, right? They now have the option of letting you work from home and you can work in your jammies like I do every day. :D

chickiegirl
04-30-2009, 05:48 PM
Oh my gosh. if there was ever an example of over-reacting! Don't get me wrong, I'm concerned about this, but what level will these people have to go to if things do become more widespread?

I think their heads will pop off.

Slashnl
04-30-2009, 05:53 PM
Gosh, we talked about this at lunch today. I was one of the few that think the media coverage is way overboard. Let's not get crazy, people! It is serious, but overreaction and panic is not helpful.

Sorry you had to be pulled into it!

Windchime
04-30-2009, 05:59 PM
The media coverage IS crazy, but.....I work at a medical facility, and we have a sister facility in the western part of Washington state. A doctor (pediatrician) there had the sniffles yesterday and she thought it was allergies until she went home and then started feeling sicker, had a fever, etc. She went to the ER and sure enough, she is one of the probable cases of swine flu in the state. So sometimes even a physician cannot tell that they are coming down with it until it's too late. She had been seeing patients all day before she developed the fever.

So the media coverage IS hysterical, but at the same time, this is a real thing that is happening and I suppose that it now feels more real to me because of the (very slight) association that my workplace has with this woman who came down with it. The good news is that she and her family are being treated, are already on the road to recovery, and everyone should be fine.

beerab
04-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Wow thats crazy, specially since you are feeling better, I could understand if you came in the day you called sick but once you are at the "getting over it" stages you probably aren't contagious.

At my work everyone got an email about the flu and signs and symptoms and what to do- as far as I know they are asking if you are sick to please stay home.

I'm just glad I eat an orange everyday- vitamin C power ya!

Oh and that picture is SO HILARIOUS! The pig and baby are SO CUTE. :)

ladyrider72472
04-30-2009, 06:40 PM
You know, I hate it when people like the nut job you work with buy into the paranoia. But, in her defense she was probably raised with a fear of everything like that. Don't get me wrong, I believe in being cautious, but that is a little nuts! There is a difference between the freaking swine flu and a cold! How would she feel if the shoe were on the other foot? I mean if you could not have VPN access then you would either have to take PTO/Vacation time or do without money-- because you have a COLD.

Okay, can you tell I work with a couple of these kind? I am frustrated and it did not even happen to me!

junebug41
04-30-2009, 09:04 PM
While I absolutley believe that this swine flu thing is only made worse by the hysteria, I wish people would just stay home when they get sick.

My office is a PERFECT example of a workplace that is always sick because no one will just stay home when they are infectious!! It's the hospitality industry, so there's this mentality that "we stay open no matter what".

I mean, there's this one girl who just needs a bath. She's sick all the time and is unkempt and she downs Emergen-C all day. She doesn't need vitamin c- she just needs to wash her hands!

//end rant.

Buttercup
04-30-2009, 09:44 PM
I was afraid that I would start hearing about people reacting like your office mate. Good Grief! It's not the plague, it's the flu. We have many more anti-viral drugs now to help with the symptoms and the panic in the seventys proved that tons of people did not die from it then. Just like the normal flu it is harmful to young children, older folks, and the people with immunity disorders. The media is going nuts! My husband is a high school baseball coach and one of the boys on his team "may" have the swine flu. They have to wait until the tests come back but if he does have it, they will close the whole school! ALOT of people are going to panic. And heaven forbid if you catch a common cold....as you know!

Glory87
04-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Oh wow - I'm getting over a headcold myself. I'm going to milk it like crazy and see if I can get sent home ;)

Betony
05-01-2009, 01:20 AM
I know you probably don't find it all that funny, but it kinda is....at the same time, this is a globally spreading illness, and the actual severity of it is still a mystery -- typically young and old and immuno-compromised people are most at risk for serious (and deadly) illness, but that comprises a large portion of our country and others as well. Look at it this way -- it's not just that you might get sick, but that you might be exposed and carry the germ to others who can't tolerate it like you. I work in a hospital. I'd feel absolutely horrible if I had what I thought was just a little chest cold or respiratory flu, and ended up bringing it to the patients that I work with because a person with the illness is contagious before they start showing symptoms, so they're passing it along before they even know they're sick.

Still, once a disease is on the move like it is, the best we can do right now is wash hands, wash hands, wash hands, and try to stay out of droplet contact with people who are sick. This is true for any of the many, many diseases out there (I'm also thinking of the occasional TB outbreaks that we see in the Southern states which don't make the news).

Sorry you have to stay home because someone is panicking, but hey...at least you can work in your pajamas if you want to! :D

SwimGirl
05-01-2009, 02:56 AM
I totally tried to get sent home at my work, didn't work.. :lol: I work in retail, and our head office has mandated that each store have two tables set up at the front with hand sanitizer for people to use. Good idea I suppose, especially since we have a pharmacy. We are constantly disinfecting as it is.. I have a good view of the hand sanitizer and I've been watching it fly off the shelves!

Alright, what the heck is VPN? And PTO? Sooo confused!

-Aimee

SweetScrumptious
05-01-2009, 03:06 AM
An elementary school in a town near by has a young student who has been diagnosed with the swine flu. I guess she came back from Mexico a week ago. They are shutting down the school for the rest of the week and telling parents to get their kids checked out.

It is crazy out there!

GirlyGirlSebas
05-01-2009, 07:38 AM
Alright, what the heck is VPN? And PTO? Sooo confused!
VPN is a virtual private network. This is how the employee can access a secured employer's network via the internet. PTO is paid time off. This is usually a combo of vacation and sick days.

seashell
05-01-2009, 08:05 AM
Next time you see this lady, snort like a pig, smile and walk away laughing!

MindiV
05-01-2009, 08:28 AM
People are SO crazy over this! Shutting down schools and wearing masks in public..just insane. I just want to shake them and say, PEOPLE! There are BILLIONS of people in the WORLD, and only 313 have the swine flu! There are probably more people in TEXAS right now with the regular flu than there are in the world with the swine flu! The regular flu and its complications kill thousands of people a year, and nobody's freaking out about that!

MugCanDoIt
05-01-2009, 01:56 PM
I read somewhere that in another country, there have been hundreds of thousands pigs whove been killed due to this scare.....if people would just liisten and read and not just "assume", they would know that the swine flu is not coming from pigs, it is just previously found in some pigs before.

I pray God will have mercy on the piggies and stop this nonsence. I wish I had a pig! I would treat it so well. Crazy you say? Not in the slightest...I just love all animals. Thats why I dont eat them.

Shannon in ATL
05-01-2009, 02:46 PM
I should add to my original post to this - I'm like Junebug, I don't like people coming to work sick. In food service in GA now we actually have to send people home with certain symptoms or face a health code violation. So, I don't care what the actual illness, if someone comes in with symptoms on my 'exclude from workplace' list they have to go home. Health department could shut me down otherwise. The symptoms range from cold/flu symptoms to vomiting, diarrhea, fever, chills, some others. Swine flu, regular flu, foodborne illness, regular stomach virus, doesn't matter to me.

KateRN
05-03-2009, 02:57 PM
What kills me about this whole swine flu thing is - it is less deadly - by far - than the regular flu!!!! but people do not get told to go home for the regular flu!!!
I work in a hospital and they are sending people home left and right, but if you had had the regular flu and tried to call in sick - they would have forced your hand to come in and work anyway - suggesting you get some dayquil on the way in!!
SOOOOOO ridiculous!

JulieJ08
05-03-2009, 04:49 PM
I work in a hospital and they are sending people home left and right, but if you had had the regular flu and tried to call in sick - they would have forced your hand to come in and work anyway - suggesting you get some dayquil on the way in!!

Wow, that is so hard to believe. Plain old regular flu is deadly to elderly people, babies, and otherwise compromised people, as you said. Guaranteed that is not the hospital's official policy, and probably guaranteed they *are* killing people with that unofficial policy. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

KateRN
05-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Wow, that is so hard to believe. Plain old regular flu is deadly to elderly people, babies, and otherwise compromised people, as you said. Guaranteed that is not the hospital's official policy, and probably guaranteed they *are* killing people with that unofficial policy. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

yup! They will ask you to put on a mask to work, but unless you are really really really ill - you have to come in! But since everyone is so panicked about swine flu - not only are not allowed to come in - but you have spend 9 days away from work - not good for people like me who do not get PTO. i can't afford to take 2 weeks off work!! No real solution though! I think in general, people will lie about being ill to do what they need to do. We are screening all visitors who come into the hospital for being ill, but some people who are clearly ill will look you in the eye and *swear* they are "always" like this, to be able to visit granny. Sigh.

BillBlueEyes
05-03-2009, 05:06 PM
What an amazing story. Getting VPN access some four months early because of a head cold!!!!!!

When this gets out, do you think people will start sniffling on purpose to jump ahead to get work-at-home privileges, LOL?

SuchAPrettyFace
05-04-2009, 12:52 AM
313 cases out of 6+ BILLION people is not a pandemic. I'm tired of all the scaremongering. How many of those people died of a head wound like Natasha Richardson? How many died of a GSW, septis, encephalitis, kidney failure, etc?

However, I will say it's good to remind people to wash their hands & cover their mouths & sneeze into a tissue. Those things have all seemed to go by the wayside over the last few years.

How is this different from the regular flu? Because if I'm reading correctly, coughing, chest & head congestion, fever, chills, the trots, sneezing, etc. This means we've had the swine flu @ my work for MONTHS. My boss refuses to send anyone home. "That is their PTO to use how they want." Not when the whole floor has been sick all winter it's not!

I myself have been on 2 rounds of antibiotics this year. Blech. I just hope this all blows over & no one else dies