Old 04-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #1  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

Height: 5'7

Question Tennis anyone?

My husband and I are trying to find family activities we can do together that doesnt cost alot and everyone can do. We have two girls, 14 and 7 so we have to find things that the 14 year old isnt bored at and the 7 year old is able to do. So we spent $80 on 4 tennis rackets and balls. I figured that $80 was pretty good for something that we can do whenever we want. Well this we took my 7 year old to play tennis. OMG!!! Fat people shouldnt run after tennis balls. My daughter would hit the ball on the other side of the court and either myself, all 230 pounds, or my husband, who weighs 285, had to run to get the ball and then proceed to bend down (which isnt pretty) and pick it up. UGH!!! Nothing is easy when you are 75 pounds overweight. I figured tennis, ya, I can do tennis. How hard can it be. HA.... was I in for a rude awakening.
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #2  
On my way to FIT

S/C/G: 285/298/130

Height: 5'1"

Smile

Wow what a coincidence!! The day before yesterday, I took my 16yo son with me to Walmart and bought 2 tennis rackets and a dozen balls (and some baseball stuff too but that's a different post lol) and we went to the tennis court to play. It was an AWESOME workout! We played for 45 minutes and we were both drenched in sweat by the time we left, but it was SO fun!!

I haven't played tennis since I was a teenager and yeah, I was running back and forth on that court - something I'm totally not used to doing!

At one point I said to my son, “Why do you keep laughing every time I run for the ball?” I mean we were both laughing so much that it was not a big deal but he didn’t really answer me and he still kept doing it, every time I would race across the court to try to catch a ball before it got past me, he laughed. Not a mean laugh, just a spontaneous laugh.

Later in the car, he told me why - and what he said brought tears to my eyes!

He said that the reason he kept laughing every time I ran for the ball was because he had never - NEVER - in his whole life, seen his mom run like that. Ever! That all his life he’s known that his mom couldn’t run like that and so every time he saw me running across the court, bent on hitting that ball back to him, it just made him laugh “with like - surprise!” I teared up, not because of the regret I felt for all those years that my kids didn’t have a mom who could run and play with them - even though I do feel that regret - no, I teared up because NOW at age FORTY-SEVEN, I am finally able to run again. Even if it’s just short little bursts on a tennis court, it’s still more than I’ve been able to do … since before my children were born.

I teared up because I am SO GRATEFUL!!!!

Eileen2bLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #3  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

You know what? It will get easier. Tennis is a GREAT way to burn calories and fun to boot! A great family activity for EVERYONE. You will be running after that ball EASILY by the end of summer no problems.

Eileen... that is so much awesomeness that I can't even stand it. Hug your son for me. Seriously.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:37 PM   #4  
getting healthier!

S/C/G: 267/266/140's

Height: 5'7''

I admit tennis is challening, running back and forth.. but I'm enjoying it so much, I don't mind the challenge. Just think: the more you play, the easier it will get!

eileen- That got me a little teary eyed! How wonderful for you!!
nik1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:31 PM   #5  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Aww, that's beautiful and it got me teary-eyed too!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:39 AM   #6  

Height: 5' 6

I love tennis... It's such a great workout! My hubby and I usually bring four balls and once all four are on the sidelines somewhere we go after them! Trust me, even with four balls you'll still get plenty of exercise if you're amateurs likes us!
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote