Weight Loss Support - ~What motivates you?~

View Full Version : ~What motivates you?~

honeybear
04-29-2009, 06:14 AM
Hiya girls! I thought a great thread to start is.....what motivates you? Be it positive, or negative, silly or serious, let's all share here. What is it that keeps/will keep you going, what will keep you looking forward and stay on track?

I will start :D

What motivates me is that girl in the mirror. I don't recognize her anymore, and haven't for quite some time. Looking pregnant (when I'm not), that new double chin droops my face down, and I got jiggles and wiggles in all the wrong places. Shopping in the plus size section, feeling those folds in my back that used to not be there, thighs rubbing together is oh so painful, and having no energy to enjoy life the way its meant to be. And no matter how long it takes, that girl staring back at me will be free once more. Its all up to me :D

PrincessLJ
04-29-2009, 07:03 AM
Great post honeybear!
My motivation is firstly my wedding, I dont want to look like a beached whale in my beautiful gown i want to look gorgeous.
secondly i want to be the old me, confident and fit and full of life, not unconfident, out of shape and lethargic!

luvmy3
04-29-2009, 07:49 AM
What motivates me is my children.I want to be here to see them grow up.Also being tired constantly,not being able to walk to far.Being afraid the bar won't go down on my belly on rides in the amusement park.Looking at Facebook and seeing all the girls I went to school still look great.Thinking all the giggling and laughing is about me.Avoiding people.Not being able to buy pretty shoes because my feet are fat.

Savora
04-29-2009, 08:40 AM
well i was motivated 11 years ago to lose almost 100 lb and that is what motivates me, the fact that i know i can do it.... and of course my skinny jeans in the closet and all my cute shirts!

PrincessLJ
04-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Oh skinny jeans if only I could wear some

SCraver
04-29-2009, 09:03 AM
I feel SO good when I am eating healthy and exercising regularly. I feel strong and happy. I like competeing with myself (as in, Can I jog a little further a little longer each time?). I like the feeling I get when I fit into a smaller piece of clothing.

It is that feeling that motivates me!

:woops:

Jacque9999
04-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Oh where do I start...in no particular order....

my kids first and foremost
the rack in my closet that has my "skinny" clothes hanging on it
jiggly arms and butt
my health
my workout buddy Lisa
my sex life...I didn't want to do it for awhile and my BF wasn't happy about that
being proud of myself
getting healthy so I will FINALLY quit smoking :smoking: , again, doing it for my health and my kids
the $$$$ I spend on the gym and pilates and boot camp that starts in 20 days

I'm sure there is more, but that's a start.
;)

sweetandspicy
04-29-2009, 09:25 AM
as mentioned above i am motivated by the girl in the mirror and my children. But I am trying to be motivated to loose the weight for me. my husband is supportive as well as my family but I really need to loose for myself. I do not have health problems but if I do not loose I will more than likely have them in the future. I am not exactly sure what I want. I just want to be a better version of me. I will never be super model skinny, just not possible with my frame, but about 50 pounds lighter and I would look and feel better. I need to loose more than 50 and it is my goal to loose about 70 but I am trying to take it one day at a time and trying to only weigh once a week. It is coming off slowly but surely.

Also 3fc motivates me

Jacqui_D
04-29-2009, 09:43 AM
What motivates me from a negative standpoint is seeing pictures of myself and also feeling like I am invisible in public. :( What motivates me from a positive standpoint is hearing and seeing my husband's appreciation for my weight loss efforts, and most definitely this website! 3FC is a godsend! :angel:

Jacque9999
04-29-2009, 09:45 AM
Also 3fc motivates me

Yeah that too!!!!:carrot:

Thighs Be Gone
04-29-2009, 09:49 AM
LOL..dancing around while holding up my fattest pants ever! LOL.

Thighs Be Gone
04-29-2009, 09:52 AM
[QUOTE=luvmy3;2718594]Looking at Facebook and seeing all the girls I went to school still look great.QUOTE]

Okay, I know my thinking is SO wrong and on SO many levels WRONG--BUT!

Am I the only one that gets a little bit of joy when I see the girls that were jerks in high school looking REALLY BAD on Facebook? I know Karma wise, God wise, maturity wise this is just so wrong. But I have to admit it!

freshmanweightorbust
04-29-2009, 09:57 AM
What motivates me is the realization that if I had less body fat, there'd really be nothing left to worry about, as far as looking good. I got good hair, good teeth, acceptable skin... the only thing remaining is to be rid of this excess weight that's drowning it all out!

Also, one of these days I'm going to find a nice man who will want to marry me, and I'd rather not have to have a 2-3 year engagement, trying to lose all the weight so I won't be a big bride.

One of these days at work, my sweet-@$$ gravy desk job is going to be eliminated and I'm going to have to go out and work on the floor again, and I'd like to be able to fit into the fuel tanks by then, just in case it comes up. I was able to do it thirty pounds ago, so it's good to know it's possible.

srmb60
04-29-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm kind of like a dog chasing its tail. I don't like being this heavy. I liked being slim and active ... shopping ... helping my friends get healthier. So I have to get started. When I start to lose ... then I'm off to the races. I love the 'game'. Planning, researching ... even exercising. I actually enjoy the journey.

Lori Bell
04-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Fun Thread!

Oh...so many things motivate me! Definitely kids and family first! I'm a stay at home mom and last school year my son, in 3rd grade at the time, begged me to be a "room mom" for his class, and I wouldn't because I was so afraid that the kids in his class would pick on him because of his grossly overweight mother. The hurt in his eyes was more than I could take. I vowed I would NEVER turn down such a request again! I made a choice to have children and part of that choice is to be a MOTHER, not some excuse making, closet eating, morbidly obese, blob.

Living is my next motivation. It's so great to be alive, and mobile, and active and not ashamed anymore.

And as naughty as it is, a motivating factor in keeping it off is the rumors I have heard that I won't! I just can't wait to prove the busy-bodies wrong! Oh the sweet smell of success....Please God, let me keep the motivation!

Smiling_Sara
04-29-2009, 10:49 AM
all the wonderful ppl on this site motivate me!

Jacque9999
04-29-2009, 11:02 AM
I actually enjoy the journey.

I'm starting to feel the same way!!!:carrot:

baby phat
04-29-2009, 11:11 AM
What motivates me is the pictures not the mirror. For some reason the mirror doesn't show the same thing as the pictures to me, I see it in the mirror but the pictures show a much more gruesome tale, they're just heartbreaking to me and I hate them, I hate them so much that when I don't feel like working out anymore I pull them up, print them out, etc. and just loathe them until I can't stand it anymore (which usually only takes a few minutes).

:moo:

prepping
04-29-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm motivated by thinking of how incredible I want to look in a bikini this summer.

vain, I know. :devil: but it's the truth! (for now) :D

Fat Pants
04-29-2009, 01:28 PM
I have always had the desire to lose weight and look amazing.... but that motivation to eat right and exercise always seemed to wane after a few weeks or a month. I guess what made it different for me this time around was changing my focus. I decided (at 205 lbs) that I was going to run a 5k in September, no matter what. If I weighed 200 lbs at the time of the 5k, that would be fine. But my goal was to become a runner. So what motivates me now is seeing results... results in terms of a faster time, a longer distance. Looking back and thinking "wow! I just ran that!" when eight weeks ago I could not run for more than a minute.

Don't get me wrong, losing the weight in the meantime has been awesome. But for me, it was changing my focus... so that even when the scale doesn't cooperate, I can still say "But I ran 15 minutes straight yesterday," and feel good about how far I've come.

Devsmama
04-29-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm motivated by results and commitment. It is pushing me further than I thought I could go. I am so excited about this journey, no matter how tough, how scary, it's exciting.

NightengaleShane
04-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Currently, I'm motivated by my decision to enter a bodybuilding competition in August. I already paid my NPC fee and told everyone I'd be competing. I know the exact date and while I am sure I will be a nervous wreck, I am just going to DO IT!

Other things that have motivated me in the past are:

*Seeing "thin" pictures of myself. Before I got fat, I was thin. I loved getting my picture taken back then and even did a little modeling. I looked at some of those professional pictures then looked in the mirror and thought, "WELL, if you looked like that once, MAYBE you can look like that again!"

*Seeing "fat" pictures of myself... I refused to let anyone take a picture of my body at my HW. Still, when I was under the influence of alcohol (and always reverted back to my "hot" /flirtacious/confident self), pictures happened. I saw them and didn't like them. I still don't, so they are a huge motivation for me to stay un-fat.

*"Thin" clothes. I wore the same five outfits in rotation, as I refused to buy more "fat" clothes than necessary. That left me with an entire closet full of clothes I couldn't wear. If you've never been thin before, go buy some clothes in your goal size and tell yourself how amazing it will be when you can actually fit them.

*"Cattle" calls. The mean people yelling things like, "FATTY!" and "MOOOOO COW!" made me want to cry, but they also motivated me because I knew one day, I'd be running or biking and getting honks and whistles of approval, instead. I get 'em all the time now :lol:

*Seeing progress, muscles, and getting compliments and attention for my weight loss. The dramatic reaction I get from people who haven't seen me since my HW is just PRICELESS.

JulieJ08
04-29-2009, 02:57 PM
I was primarily motivated by health. I was scared of getting diabetes - my parents have it, and two sisters have had gestational diabetes. And also not just future health, but in the present - I was only 39 and feeling creaky and stiff and tired all the time.

But I'm not without a little vanity too.

Jassica
04-29-2009, 03:01 PM
To feel Confident.!

PammyFl
04-29-2009, 03:07 PM
Great idea! Theres quite a few things that motivates me....

* My health..Ive lost too many very close people to cancer and it totally scares me to death.
* Summer!
* My "OMG im not really that fat am I?" Pictures!
* The fact that I want to look cute in a cycling uniform one day.
* The fact that I have came so far to give up now. I can do it!
* I love my boyfriends reaction to my weight loss and I want something for him to brag about lol.
* All the comments on how great im looking.
* The fact that im getting smaller and my ex is getting fatter!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vouge09
04-29-2009, 03:22 PM
I this is a little crazy but okay, lol. I am a huge geek, and I always thought Jessica Rabbit and Barbara Gordon (BatGirl) was so pretty. I have naturally red hair and brown eyes and one thing that keeps me going is the thought of dressing up as one of the two for halloween one day or something and looking the part.

Lovely91
04-29-2009, 06:16 PM
The fact that my graduation is less than a month away!

EZMONEY
04-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Fun Thread!

Oh...so many things motivate me! Definitely kids and family first! I'm a stay at home mom and last school year my son, in 3rd grade at the time, begged me to be a "room mom" for his class, and I wouldn't because I was so afraid that the kids in his class would pick on him because of his grossly overweight mother. The hurt in his eyes was more than I could take. I vowed I would NEVER turn down such a request again! I made a choice to have children and part of that choice is to be a MOTHER, not some excuse making, closet eating, morbidly obese, blob.

Living is my next motivation. It's so great to be alive, and mobile, and active and not ashamed anymore.

And as naughty as it is, a motivating factor in keeping it off is the rumors I have heard that I won't! I just can't wait to prove the busy-bodies wrong! Oh the sweet smell of success....Please God, let me keep the motivation!

Now this is a great mom!

I have always had the desire to lose weight and look amazing.... but that motivation to eat right and exercise always seemed to wane after a few weeks or a month. I guess what made it different for me this time around was changing my focus. I decided (at 205 lbs) that I was going to run a 5k in September, no matter what. If I weighed 200 lbs at the time of the 5k, that would be fine. But my goal was to become a runner. So what motivates me now is seeing results... results in terms of a faster time, a longer distance. Looking back and thinking "wow! I just ran that!" when eight weeks ago I could not run for more than a minute.

Don't get me wrong, losing the weight in the meantime has been awesome. But for me, it was changing my focus... so that even when the scale doesn't cooperate, I can still say "But I ran 15 minutes straight yesterday," and feel good about how far I've come.

Now this is SUCCESS!

dwizzlex10
04-30-2009, 02:51 AM
what motivates me is seeing the results and knowing im getting closer and closer to my goal weight.

socal17
05-09-2009, 02:44 PM
- Looking great at my college graduation
- Being a hot bridesmaid at a friend's upcoming wedding
- Not being self-conscious about my body anymore
- Upstaging all the "popular" kids I used to go to high school with
- Being healthy and happy

Thighs Be Gone
05-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Today I went shopping. It was my motivation today. I loved the blouses I found an some cute shoes with tons of bright flowers covering them. I came running home and got bathed and redressed (I shopped straight after workout) and threw on something pretty cute and flirty. I am waiting for family to come in now. I feel good and have a fun evening planned. My better life I guess is my motivation.

the right direction
05-09-2009, 02:58 PM
What motivated me was stepping on the scale and seeing the number 250. It was a shocker. About ten years ago I never thought I'd be someone who'd weigh 200 lbs. Gradually I became used to it and never thought I'd let myself get to a number like 250. Well, I reached 250 this winter, but I'm NOT about to let myself get used to my new weight with passive acceptance like I did when I reached the 200 milestone.

georgiad
05-09-2009, 03:31 PM
My motives are silly, they are selfish, they are petty, but they are what motivates me. They are what makes me reach for the fruit, not the cake, what makes me go down to the gym, not across to the kitchen. You may not agree with them, but they are why I want to be thin,

- I want a boyfriend. When I was thinner, I got lots of attention from men. It has been a criminal amount of time since I had sex, and I haven't felt any affection or even had a nice compliment in months and months and months. When I am thin I'm going to meet a wonderful man who I will have extremely raunchy sex with! ;)
- I want to wear nice clothes. I have a wardrobe full of skinny clothes, and £7,000 tucked away to buy skinny clothes when I get down to goal. I am going to look HOT!
- I don't want to be picked on by kids. I am going to start a teacher-training course next year and I do not want to be the fat teacher. I am going to be the hot teacher!
- I want to climb mountains, dance on a pole and do a triathlon! I'm really into my sports and really into exercise. I love hillwalking, and there is a hillwalking club at my uni, but I've never felt fit enough. There are also pole dancing classes up the road from me. I really want to enrol in them, but I'm too self-conscious! I also really want to do a triathlon.
- I want my ex's jaw to drop. My ex treated me really badly and I would LOVE to see his face as I strut past him looking hot as ****.
- I want to be wild and free! I've never played spin the bottle or strip poker, I've never done cartwheels in the park or kissed a stranger in the dark. I've never sung karaoke and I've never danced crazily in a nightclub. I've lost most of my youth to being fat and it needs to stop before I wake up and I'm a fat, lonely old lady.
- I want to do my family proud. My mum and I had a tough relationship before she died; I think she struggled with her weight too and I think it would break her heart to see the struggle I'm having. My dad and brother are nice and thin and fit and I want to be as nice and thin and fit as them, and I want them to be able to actually love me. I can't see how they could possibly love me when I'm this hideous, but when I'm thin they will finally be able to, and I can't wait.

roobear
05-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Nothing motivates me, thats my problem. I don't have any children so that's no good. On days when i am happy and its sunny i like going for a walk, but i would rather lay down and sunbathe that even think of exercising, i used to swim but can't afford the membership anymore and it just feels pointless doing anything on my own, the only exercise i enjoy is chasing my cat around the garden in the summer, which doesn't last long cos he is littler than me so gets tired quicker. I hate cooking, and don't really like many healthy foods, so eat convenience meals, snack foods and takeaway. My boyfriend doesn't want to lose weight so i don't get any moptivation for him. I just can't see anything nice about losing weight apart from the end result and even the thought of that doesn't motivate me. I'm a lost cause destined to be fat for the rest of my life.

Jinksie
05-10-2009, 03:24 PM
I want to add a new motivation.

I spend alot of time on my computer, so my computers background is my work out schedule. I had got the basic from Chalean extreme, but i've moved work outs around, added different work outs on different days, i set one or 2 days for rest; as my background i always see it, and can feel accountable for it.

EDIT: just fixed a typo